F1WRCR 1953 season - Post-season prize money up!

In honour of our fallen comrade. Archive of all previous canon series across all disciplines.
Aerospeed

Re: F1WRCR 1953 season - Pre-season chatter and waiting

Post by Aerospeed »

I'm right on it, Wizzie! Bira will be entered in all races with Aston chassis and engine #4. Good thing I already had the chassis built...
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Oh, and roblomas, you can't buy the Ferrari anyway, because you only have 25000 pounds left, which is barely enough to cover entry fees and travel costs...
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

tommykl wrote:Oh, and roblomas, you can't buy the Ferrari anyway, because you only have 25000 pounds left, which is barely enough to cover entry fees and travel costs...

oh, cheers for bringing that to my attention mate
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Aerospeed [JerMcC] wrote:I'm right on it, Wizzie! Bira will be entered in all races with Aston chassis and engine #4. Good thing I already had the chassis built...

Good work my man. :mrgreen:

If you need a spare engine at any time, just feel free to grab one of the spares at the Jaguar workshop and we'll have a look at overhauling whatever damaged engine you guys send back to us.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Wizzie wrote:
Aerospeed [JerMcC] wrote:I'm right on it, Wizzie! Bira will be entered in all races with Aston chassis and engine #4. Good thing I already had the chassis built...

If you need a spare engine at any time, just feel free to grab one of the spares at the Jaguar workshop and we'll have a look at overhauling whatever damaged engine you guys send back to us.

I'll keep that in mind. :)

Tommy, I'm not very good at my maths - can you check to make sure if I can afford to enter all four of my drivers in every race?
Trulli bad puns...
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Aerospeed [JerMcC] wrote:
Wizzie wrote:

I'll keep that in mind. :)

Tommy, I'm not very good at my maths - can you check to make sure if I can afford to enter all four of my drivers in every race?

You do. The total entry costs will be 72 000 pounds, and with travel costs at around 20 000 pounds per car, I think 200 000 pounds should be saved. Also, don't forget the prize money you'll receive (then again, there might be extra repair costs...)
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Wait, is Villoresi still unsigned? If so then he will share my car with Van der Lof. Villoresi would run at Monaco, UK, Germany and Italy while Van der Lof would run the rest of the races. If I have enough money?
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

eurobrun wrote:Wait, is Villoresi still unsigned? If so then he will share my car with Van der Lof. Villoresi would run at Monaco, UK, Germany and Italy while Van der Lof would run the rest of the races. If I have enough money?

You've definitely got enough money, but while Villoresi isn't entered for any races, he's one of Balkan Eagle's reserve drivers, so you might need pycku's approval ;)

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Well, with the sad news concerning AdrianSutil, Gordini is now up for grabs. I'll take the first five candidates into consideration and pick the member I find the most trustworthy. I'll also ask for just a few words explaining what you plan to do with the team.

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

tommykl wrote:Well, with the sad news concerning AdrianSutil, Gordini is now up for grabs. I'll take the first five candidates into consideration and pick the member I find the most trustworthy. I'll also ask for just a few words explaining what you plan to do with the team.

Not sure I want to take on a full-time entry, but you can tell that I am already running occasional entries for the less-represented gender on the grid. There are not many to choose from in the 1950's, but come the 1970s onwards, I plan to have a full-time entry for promising drivers.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

dr-baker wrote:
tommykl wrote:Well, with the sad news concerning AdrianSutil, Gordini is now up for grabs. I'll take the first five candidates into consideration and pick the member I find the most trustworthy. I'll also ask for just a few words explaining what you plan to do with the team.

Not sure I want to take on a full-time entry, but you can tell that I am already running occasional entries for the less-represented gender on the grid. There are not many to choose from in the 1950's, but come the 1970s onwards, I plan to have a full-time entry for promising drivers.

I'll let members who don't have a team apply first.

If you are interested in taking over Gordini until AdrianSutil's return, simply post your interest in this topic along with a few words on what you plan on doing with the team. I'd prefer that members who don't yet have a team come forward. You have until Thursday August 22nd at 23:59 GMT+1.

DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: F1WRCR 1953 season - New owner needed for Gordini

Post by DanielPT »

tommykl wrote:DanielPT failed to respond, so Alfa Romeo will be based in Milan.

As with TMLW, I also thought it was obvious. Yes, Milan is the place I wanted anyway!
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Alright, so I'm almost halfway through the season preview, and I don't have anyone to take over Gordini, so I'm opening this up to members who already have a team here, but only customer team owners. All I need is what you plan to do with the team in the foreseeable future, so I can make a sensible decision.

Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

tommykl wrote:Alright, so I'm almost halfway through the season preview, and I don't have anyone to take over Gordini, so I'm opening this up to members who already have a team here, but only customer team owners. All I need is what you plan to do with the team in the foreseeable future, so I can make a sensible decision.

I doubt that I could run two teams at once anyways, given my lack of math talent...
Trulli bad puns...
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

In regards for taking over gordini until adriansutil return if its possible i would like to be given the oppertunity to run it please
What i would do to the team is nothing adriansutil built up the team decided the drivers it wouldmt be fair to change anything although i might enter the third car into selected events but apart from that nothing will change so that when adriansutil returns he can take straight back over.

This is of course if nobody has any objections
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

peteroli34 wrote:In regards for taking over gordini until adriansutil return if its possible i would like to be given the oppertunity to run it please
What i would do to the team is nothing adriansutil built up the team decided the drivers it wouldmt be fair to change anything although i might enter the third car into selected events but apart from that nothing will change so that when adriansutil returns he can take straight back over.

This is of course if nobody has any objections

I'll wait for any other interested members, so the first five members who apply will have a chance. :)

Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

I have no objections.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

1953 Season Preview

The main talking point in the off-season was of course the change in regulations which led to a jumbled up chassis and engine market and also to a host of new private teams, but lately, everyone has been talking about Motorsport Bleu's withdrawal from Formula One racing as reigning champions.

Despite this, the title race could be closer than ever. Let's run through the entrants one by one according to last season's championship standings.

Scuderia Ferrari
The off-season was very busy for the constructors champions. This year, they're aiming for a first driver's title, with their top two drivers staying on. Serafini and Parnell both won races again and showed good pace but lacked consistency. Reg will have a better shot this year thanks to the end of the car-share with Peter Whitehead, who was traded for Juan Manuel Fangio, disappointed with his treatment at Alfa Romeo regarding his compromised performance (he was nursing a broken neck for most of the season). With three world class drivers, the constructors championship shouldn't be a problem, but they'll need to avoid having Juan, Dorino and Reg taking points off each other.

Alfa Romeo SpA
For the first time in their history, Alfa Romeo failed to win a race in 1952, although their five podiums were enough for third place. Perhaps this lack of success was a catalyst in the falling out between Fangio and the team in general and Giuseppe Farina in particular. The team put all of its resources behind the double world champion, only to see him lose the title in Australia. In the end, Fangio was traded with Ferrari part time driver Peter Whitehead, while Stirling Mosssaw his contract extended despite his lacklustre year. Perhaps a newfound team alchemy can bring the team back to success.

Alexander Racing Team-Gordini
After their promising year in 1951, many expected them to be top contenders for the title in 1952. Instead, they did more of the same. But with outright pace becoming more important under the new rules, Manzon and Sanesi should be closer to the front more regularly. At least, if they stay with the team. A few days before the start of the season, team manager Ashley Lilly was forced to step down due to undisclosed health problems. A new manager was found in the form of the team boss of new team Anglo Racing Engineering. The team was also upgraded from works-level customer team to full-blown factory team for practical purposes.

Phoenix Racing Organisation
When they reverted to a single car for 1952, it looked like the beginning of the end for Phoenix. Instead, it signaled the beginning of progress. Ascari stunned the crowd with a podium at Monaco, and kept the pace for the rest of the season. With the switch to the unproven Mercedes-Benz engines, Phoenix hopes to reach new heights and hopefully take that elusive first victory.

Jaguar-Aston Martin Racing
After a surprise podium in 1951, JAMR definitely improved in 1952 with a good choice of drivers and an ever-improving car to score four more podiums. This season, they keep Tony Bettenhausen and Jose Froilan Gonzalez alongside Maurice Trintignant, who took some of the team's best results on one-off entries. Piero Taruffi was surprisingly sacked despite scoring two podiums, and his replacement was long awaited. In the end, JAMR got the deal of the season, signing reigning champion B. Bira in the fourth car. With such a strong line-up, JAMR will almost definitely score their first victory this season.

Group Ultimate
Despite a maiden victory in 1952, the simple existence of this team is in doubt more than ever. With rising tensions between East and West, a dual East German-American team looks increasingly like a bad idea. The team's finances are also far from safe. With Toulo de Gaffenried as star signing, they are aiming to make a profit off of the races, but the cost of building their own chassis is taking a toll on the team. Should success not come, Barth, Schell, Ruttman and de Gaffenried may find themselves without a drive for 1954.

Scuderia Ambrosiana
The Milanese squad was one of last season's pleasant surprises with regular top ten finishes and two giant-killing fourth places. Both drivers have been kept, and the only major change is the switch from the underpowered Maserati engines to more costly Alfa Romeo units. Despite all of this, Ambrosiana is still lacking in the organisation department, as their chassis is still the only one to yet be given a name.

Mercedes-Benz Team Europe
One of the high-profile new entrants for this season is the German giant, deciding to take over the failing Scuderia Maremmana. One part of the deal was for promising rookie Eric Brandon to stay with the team while von Brauchitsch left to join Bentley and Clemente Biondetti finally retired from open-wheel racing after an illustrious career. The manufacturer has concentrated its development towards the engines, sacrificing chassis performance in the process, but the work has paid off, and Mercedes have found three customers in the form of Phoenix, EMW and Leader. Sports car racers Lucien Vincent, Tommy Wisdom and Helmut Niedermayr will drive the second car in selected races.

Redman Racing Team
Much like in 1951, Redman ended up being one of very few outfits to score points with a Maserati. Thankfully this time, Nello Pagani didn't go the way of Franco Rol, who has only now recovered from his injuries sustained in the French Grand Prix two years ago. This season, the team has taken the costly gamble of entering a second car for last year's guest Australian driver Stan Jones. With the new regulations, it remains to be seen whether the Maserati will be more competitive than previous years.

Ecurie Nationale Belge
Sadly for Jacques Swaters' underdogs, 1952 failed to live up to the very promising hype of 1951. Indeed, the team went from four podiums and third place in the entrants' championship to zero points scored over the whole season. One thing which didn't change and won't change for this season is the revolving door policy for drivers. Pilette will again drive for most of the races, and will be joined on occasion by regular drivers Georges Berger, Jan Flinterman, Charles de Tornaco, Roger Laurent and Swaters himself, as well as rookies Andre Milhoux and Olivier Gendebien, with Milhoux also set to compete for EMW in a few races, although his participation in early races is unlikely to be allowed due to inexperience.

Hampshire Racing Alliance
Overall, the Alta failed to improve last season, despite two overdue top ten finishes and a few occasional young drivers making their debuts on the side. However, with Alta deciding to stop making Formula 1 machinery, Hampshire had to choose an other car, going for an Aston Martin chassis coupled to a Bentley engine. The choice of going back to a single car team should allow David to easily survive until next season, and the Aston chassis should boost him towards the front.

Officine Alfieri Maserati
Despite SPV being upgraded to factory status, they completely failed to move up the grid, in part due to a poor choice of drivers. Frere was an almost complete rookie, but he ended up being the only driver to qualify for the team, not counting Maurice Trintignant who helped the team to a ninth place in the USA in a one-off appearance. Despite this, the team is sticking to its drivers, with Frere driving the full season, while Marimon, Landi and Balsa share the second car. The regulation changes may just bring Maserati as a whole further up the grid.

Asso di Fiori
Last season, despite their best efforts, Scuderia Commesso failed to move up the grid, thanks in part to the ageing of Louis Chiron, but also a poor choice of second drivers. Van der Lof, despite their insistence, was not ready for Formula One yet, and only when the FIA refused to give Ottorino Volonterio a license did Rudi Fischer get the drive in Germany. For 1953, the team have cut back their involvement to a single car shared between Luigi Villoresi and Dries van der Lof. However, the team is in a crisis with the departure of the team principal, and if they don't find any stability, they may end up not making it to 1954.

British Bentley Racing Motors
Geoff Richardson was one of the pleasant surprises at the tail end of last season with his eleventh place at Sebring, and Bentley have been improving consistently. The quickly adapted to the new regulations and sold quite a few cars during the off-season, improving their odds for the constructors' championship in the process by offering a cheap alternative for new customer teams. On the driver front, the team has also been active, retaining Hawthorn, Richardson and Salvadori, also signing pre-war ace and Maremmana refugee Manfred von Brauchitsch in a politically questionable move, as well as securing André Pilette's services for the Belgian Grand Prix. Their plans are currently incomplete, and the team is intelligently planning their moves according to the circumstances. Watch out for them this year.

O.S.C.A. Automobili
Despite the complete lack of pace from the new team, Felice Bonetto managed to make the grid twice last season, paving the way for a full-season charge in 1953. With Piero Taruffi suddenly on the market, he was eagerly signed by the team as first driver, with the 49-year-old Bonetto stepping down to the second car, which is to be entered in four races for one-off drivers. Bonetto will drive in Italy and John Fitch will drive in Switzerland. The other seats are as of yet unconfirmed.

Reatherson Racing Developments
All-Ireland Motorsport moved up in the world in the slightest possible way in 1952 by making the grid twice with the help of the dependable Joe Kelly, for whom it was also the first start. Compared to six entries last season, the renamed outfit will enter seven European rounds (skipping the Netherlands) with a single Bentley-Jaguar to be shared between regular driver Joe Kelly and the new recruit Lance Macklin, who found himself without a drive following Johnny Claes' withdrawal as a private entrant. The Jag engine could be the force that drives the Irish squad up the grid.

Erne Racing Development
The other Irish team in the championship, Erne's début season went better than expected considering the completely inexperienced Roberto Mières, but with Ferrari selling their car at a much higher price this season, they had to settle with a Maserati chassis and engine, also relocating to Northamptonshire to reduce travel costs. To further this goal, the team will also miss the season opener in Monaco as well as the season-ending United States Grand Prix in order to keep as much spare cash as possible. Mières will still drive the car. Erne's future is very much tied to that of Maserati, now.

Maria Teresa de Filippis
Interestingly, along with Redman and Ferrari, de Filippis was one of three entrants to make the grid in every single entry last season, although she failed to finish every time. She showed promising pace in the Maserati and then in the Alfa Romeo though, and with some generous donations, she acquired a Bentley chassis and an O.S.C.A. engine to put in the front for the European season. To add to that, the new BRUNEL outfit will allow Maria to travel once again to the United States for the final Grand Prix in a Bentley.

Rennkollektiv EMW
Evolving from Fritz Riess' failed project last season, the new factory team also turned a few heads by being based in West Germany while officially being East German. On top of this, the team angered a few other team bosses by attempting to sign their drivers, such as part-time Aqua driver Günther Bechem or Bentley man Manfred von Brauchitsch. Eventually, Aqua agreed for Bechem to drive in the races for which he was free, with uncertain rookie André Milhoux competing in the remaining races (pending an uncertain license). With Mercedes engines, the team might do better than last year, but their driver quality remains questionable at best.

Leader
The mysterious Chinese squad failed to start a race last season, but saw a high point when Luigi Villoresi topped the charts in pre-qualifying in Great Britain. But with Villoresi on the way out to join Asso di Fiori, Leader had to settle with the disillusioned Johnny Claes, too tempted by the probably large paycheck. Evidently, Leader are optimistic about this season, entering every race from a new base in Dortmund, even selling one of their chassis while acquiring a new Mercedes engine which should help them further. This could be the true beginning of Chinese motorsport.

F. H. Warden Competition
With the owners of Birmingham Motorsport having ran out of their lottery money, they somehow managed to convince their factory owner to finance their season in exchange for renaming the team, in other words, F.H. Warden Steel is sponsoring Birmingham Motorsport, the second instance of sponsorship in Formula One (following Graham Whitehead's entry in the 1951 German Grand Prix by the Daily Express). With British cars the obvious option, the team started with £100 000 and purchased a Bentley chassis and a Jaguar engine, cautiously entering Ken Wharton into four North European races. This team wants to stay, and just might be on the right track.

Scuderia Aqua
After buying what was left of Metcalf in early 1952, they failed to materialize and only managed a couple of DNPQs with Piero Carini. Unsurprisingly, the Italian isn't back for more, but instead, the cash-strapped team made the unfortunate decision to build an engine for itself, which ended up being far too underpowered for the competitiveness of Formula One. With barely enough cash to stay running, the team borrowed £25 000 in order to purchase a new chassis (a Bentley 53C) and enter a few races with Günther Bechem. It would be a miracle for them to survive until 1954, but a pleasant one.

Anglo Racing Engineering
This team is one of the new British entrants, originally based in London, they recently moved to the Brands Hatch circuit in Kent. They were the first team to purchase a chassis from Leader and coupled it to a Jaguar engine. Entering all European races, they seem ambitious but well-prepared for it. Through their team manager, they also have connections to Gordini, which may prove useful for 1954 (their manager is also interim manager at Gordini during Ashley Lilly's illness). The 21-year-old Peter Collins looks like a very interesting prospect following his success in Formula 2 and his victory in last year's 9 Hours of Goodwood against tough opposition such as Stirling Moss and Peter Whitehead. He's a name to remember.

Balkan Eagle
It's official - a Soviet team has entered the Formula One World Championship! Balkan Eagle is an ambitious team entered by the Bulgarian bicycle magnate Stefan Bogdanov out of his factory funds. The factory being state-owned, the team is effectively state-backed, although the government denies any involvement. The team's goal is to increase capitalist investment into Bulgaria. However, with the absence of interested Soviet manufacturers or high-quality Soviet drivers, Bogdanov had to look elsewhere. Luckily, his pre-war Italian connections landed him three Alfa Romeo chassis and three Maserati engines, and a litany of drivers. Rudi Fischer will drive the whole season, alongside regulars Lance Macklin and Aldo Gordini. Both of them are also contracted to other teams though (Macklin to Reatherson and Gordini to ART), so will occasionally be replaced by rookie Umberto Maglioli and Australian specialist Lex Davison.

Royal Racing Automobile Company
This team has barely existed for a few months and they are already attempting to live expensively. They purchased the relatively cheap Maserati package for Duncan Hamilton, leaving them with barely enough to cover expenses for the season, then promptly attempted to purchase a Ferrari 550 for drivers already under contract, finally settling on Jacques Swaters, who backed out of the offer when the team was denied purchase due to insufficient funds. With such mismanagement, it wouldn't be a surprise for this team to go under before the end of the season.

Brits Under No European Legislation
A small team founded for the sole purpose of entering promising female drivers not under contract, they have purchased a single Bentley engine to couple to Maria Teresa de Filippis' existing Bentley chassis to jointly enter the United States Grand Prix for which she lacked the money to travel. Best of luck to them and to Maria.

Alright, so peteroli34 is accepted as new manager of ART until AdrianSutil's (hopefully quick) return, and all I need now is for Samster to tell me the designation of the Ambrosiana chassis, then everything will be set for the season opener. Also, André Milhoux has been denied a license until the Belgian Grand Prix, so your move, Matt121. You need another driver.

Shadaza

Re: F1WRCR 1953 season - Award-winning season preview up!

Post by Shadaza »

Great preview.

It is quite concerning you don't place Team Ultimate in high esteem, but is true the future does look a little bleak. Nonetheless, the top spec Ferrari should be good for a front running position!
Message me on Discord.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Shadaza wrote:Great preview.

It is quite concerning you don't place Team Ultimate in high esteem, but is true the future does look a little bleak. Nonetheless, the top spec Ferrari should be good for a front running position!

I based it on your budget and your plans, and the cost of entering four cars the whole season is around £175 000. Of course, you'll get prize money and everything, and if you really need all the cash you can get, you can always cancel a few entries, maybe not make the trip to Sebring...cost-cutting isn't very difficult when you can pull out of a race at any time ;)

Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

tommykl wrote:
Shadaza wrote:Great preview.

I based it on your budget and your plans, and the cost of entering four cars the whole season is around £175 000. Of course, you'll get prize money and everything, and if you really need all the cash you can get, you can always cancel a few entries, maybe not make the trip to Sebring...cost-cutting isn't very difficult when you can pull out of a race at any time ;)

Yeah, I am very much approaching at a race by race basis. Already the Ultimate car won't go to Sebring. But I am kind of stuck with the "Ferrari Americas".
Message me on Discord.
HawkAussie

Post by HawkAussie »

Fritz Riess will be competing in the team until further notice.
Officially Retired
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Looking forward to your monaco GP preview. (seriously, 40 people trying to enter that race? Theres gonna be some big names failing to make the grid )
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

This wrote:Looking forward to your monaco GP preview. (seriously, 40 people trying to enter that race? Theres gonna be some big names failing to make the grid )

That was already a Monaco preview of sorts, because I pretty much have nothing else to say about the teams (except for Riess replacing Milhoux), but there will be the entry list nada couple of paragraphs as always.

And yes, 12 drivers will DNPQ and 8 more will DNQ, because Monaco. The pre-q drivers will be announced in the preview.

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Matt121 wrote:Fritz Riess will be competing in the team until further notice.

As a replacement for Milhoux, or for every race (including Bechem's) ?

HawkAussie

Post by HawkAussie »

tommykl wrote:
Matt121 wrote:Fritz Riess will be competing in the team until further notice.

As a replacement for Milhoux, or for every race (including Bechem's) ?

As a replacement for Milhoix for now
Officially Retired
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Alright, so Samster hasn't replied, so by default, the Ambrosiana will be called the A-002. We're ready to start the season!

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

May 15th 1953, Monaco Grand Prix pre-qualifying

And so a new season begins, once again, in Monaco. This circuit has seen the first victory of Giuseppe Farina, the first podium of reigning champion B. Bira, as well as first wins for Robert Manzon and André Simon. Being the shortest and narrowest circuit, less drivers may start the race, but this didn't stop 40 of them to attempt to make the grid. In the end though, only half of them will race on the Sunday.

2. Eric Brandon (Mercedes-Benz Team Europe) - Mercedes WM-1 chassis 4, Mercedes UM153 engine 13
4. Johnny Claes (Leader) - Leader LF153 chassis 1, Mercedes UM153 engine 6
6. Peter Collins (Anglo Racing Engineering) - Leader LF153 chassis 2, Jaguar JFE-2 engine 5
8. Lance Macklin (Reatherson Racing Developments) - Bentley Speed 3 chassis 7, Jaguar JFE-2 engine 6
10. Günther Bechem (Scuderia Aqua) - Bentley 53C chassis 1, Aqua SAMC-1A engine 1
12. Giuseppe Farina (Alfa Romeo SpA) - Alfa Romeo AR160 chassis 1, Alfa Romeo ARV8 engine 1
14. Stirling Moss (Alfa Romeo SpA) - Alfa Romeo AR160 chassis 2, Alfa Romeo ARV8 engine 2
16. Peter Whitehead (Alfa Romeo SpA) - Alfa Romeo AR160 chassis 3, Alfa Romeo ARV8 engine 3
18. Reg Parnell (Scuderia Ferrari) - Ferrari 555 chassis 1, Ferrari 555 engine 1
20. Dorino Serafini (Scuderia Ferrari) - Ferrari 555 chassis 2, Ferrari 555 engine 2
22. Juan Manuel Fangio (Scuderia Ferrari) - Ferrari 555 chassis 3, Ferrari 555 engine 3
24. Lex Davison (Balkan Eagle) - Alfa Romeo AR160 chassis 4, Maserati 200F engine 9
26. Rudi Fischer (Balkan Eagle) - Alfa Romeo AR160 chassis 5, Maserati 200F engine 8
28. Umberto Maglioli (Balkan Eagle) - Alfa Romeo AR160 chassis 6, Maserati 200F engine 7
30. Robert Manzon (Alexander Racing Team-Gordini) - Gordini G-953 chassis 1, Gordini ART-004 engine 1
32. Consalvo Sanesi (Alexander Racing Team-Gordini) - Gordini G-953 chassis 2, Gordini ART-004 engine 2
34. Aldo Gordini (Alexander Racing Team-Gordini) - Gordini G-953 chassis 3, Gordini ART-004 engine 3
36. Paul Frère (Officine Alfieri Maserati) - Maserati AM53 chassis 1, Maserati 200F engine 1
38. Chico Landi (Officine Alfieri Maserati) - Maserati AM53 chassis 2, Maserati 200F engine 2
40. Edgar Barth (Team Ultimate) - Ultimate chassis 002a, O.S.C.A. 3000V8 engine 2
42. Toulo de Graffenried (Ferrari America) - Ferrari 555 chassis 4, Ferrari 555 engine 4
44. Troy Ruttman (Ferrari America) - Ferrari 550 chassis 1, Ferrari 550 chassis 1
46. Harry Schell (Ferrari America) - Ferrari 550 chassis 2, Ferrari 550 chassis 2
48. Manfred von Brauchitsch (British Bentley Racing Motors) - Bentley Speed 3 chassis 1, Bentley 163-1 engine 1
50. Geoff Richardson (British Bentley Racing Motors) - Bentley Speed 3 chassis 3, Bentley 163-1 engine 3
52. Duncan Hamilton (Royal Racing Automobile Company) - Maserati AM53 chassis 7, Maserati 200F engine 10
54. Maurice Trintignant (Jaguar - Aston Martin Racing) - Aston Martin AM-04 chassis 1, Jaguar JFE-2 engine 1
56. Jose Froilan Gonzalez (Jaguar - Aston Martin Racing) - Aston Martin AM-04 chassis 2, Jaguar JFE-2 engine 2
58. Tony Bettenhausen (Jaguar - Aston Martin Racing) - Aston Martin AM-04 chassis 3, Jaguar JFE-2 engine 3
60. Nello Pagani (Redman Racing Team) - Maserati AM53 chassis 5, Maserati 200F engine 5
62. Stan Jones (Redman Racing Team) - Maserati AM53 chassis 6, Maserati 200F engine 6
64. Alberto Ascari (Phoenix Racing Organisation) - Phoenix PRO-4 chassis 1, Mercedes-Benz UM153 engine 7
66. Piero Taruffi (O.S.C.A. Automobili) - O.S.C.A. 53 chassis 1, O.S.C.A. 3000V8 engine 1
68. Maria Teresa de Filippis (Privateer) - Bentley Speed 3 chassis 4, O.S.C.A. 3000V8 engine 4
70. David Hampshire (Hampshire Racing Alliance) - Aston Martin AM-04 chassis 7, Bentley 163-1 engine 6
72. Giovanni Bracco (Scuderia Ambrosiana) - Ambrosiana A-002 chassis 1, Alfa Romeo ARV8 engine 4
74. Porfirio Rubirosa (Scuderia Ambrosiana) - Ambrosiana A-002 chassis 2, Alfa Romeo ARV8 engine 5
76. Fritz Riess (Rennkollektiv EMW) - EMW 01 chassis 1, Mercedes-Benz UM153 engine 3
78. B. Bira (Jaguar - Aston Martin Racing) - Aston Martin AM-04 chassis 4, Jaguar JFE-2 engine 4
80. Luigi Villoresi (Asso di Fiori) - Aston Martin AM-04 chassis 5, Jaguar JFE-2 engine 8

Since the official season presentation, one driver change has already been noted, as André Milhoux was denied a license for the opening two races and had to be replaced at EMW by team boss Fritz Riess.

The entry money already counts for £80 000, £34 000 of which will be refunded for making the qualifying session and then starting the race, with cash also handed out for every percentage of the race completed. Failing to pre-qualify will be a tough blow, as the team will then go home with no money.

This leaves £46 000 in the pot, to which will be added the cool sum of £204 000 provided by the race organisers, leaving £250 000 as overall prize money to be redistributed after the race according to race completion and finishing position.

The unfortunate 20 who will have to pre-qualify are:

Peter Collins
Lance Macklin
Günther Bechem
Stirling Moss
Lex Davison
Rudi Fischer
Umberto Maglioli
Aldo Gordini
Paul Frère
Chico Landi
Edgar Barth
Geoff Richardson
Duncan Hamilton
José Froilan Gonzalez
Stan Jones
Maria Teresa de Filippis
David Hampshire
Porfirio Rubirosa
Fritz Riess
Luigi Villoresi

Eight of them will make it to qualifying proper and receive a £500 refund. The rest will go home empty handed.
Last edited by tommykl on 28 Aug 2013, 22:05, edited 1 time in total.

tommykl

Re: F1WRCR 1953 season - Monaco preview up, budgets updated!

Post by tommykl »

Alright, so here are the pre-qualifying performances, done as always.

Riess - 79
Moss - 82
Hampshire - 91
Collins - 93
de Filippis - 96
Gordini - 97
Richardson - 97
Jones - 97
Villoresi - 97
Hamilton - 98
Bechem - 99
Frère - 99
Macklin - 100
Rubirosa - 100
Davison - 101
Fischer - 101
Gonzalez - 101
Barth - 102
Landi - 107
Maglioli - 116

I might have to add that time difference between the fastest and the slowest will be much larger than previously, in order to add to the realism. Also, running the races could take longer than before, since performance advantages are determined to the tenth of a point in order to avoid unwanted ties. To make my job easier, race distances are also reduced to 350km (apart from Monaco, which stays at 100 laps for tradition's sake).

Monaco - 100 laps
Zandvoort - 84 laps
Spa - 25 laps
Reims - 42 laps
Silverstone - 75 laps
Nürburgring - 16 laps
Bremgarten - 49 laps
Monza - 56 laps
Sebring - 42 laps

roblo97

Re: F1WRCR 1953 season - Monaco pre-q performance up!

Post by roblo97 »

That was rather disappointing to come 10th old chap
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

roblomas52 wrote:That was rather disappointing to come 10th old chap

Those aren't actual times, it just shows how good the driver did according to his ability, that of his team, and the quality of his car. I can already tell you that Duncan doesn't make it through (unsurprising considering the big names that have to compete).

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Pre-qualifying results
1. Stirling Moss (Alfa Romeo) - 1:47.5
2. José Froilan Gonzalez (Aston Martin-Jaguar) - 1:49.2
3. Aldo Gordini (Gordini) - 1:49.5
4. Porfirio Rubirosa (Ambrosiana-Alfa Romeo) - 1:50.4
5. David Hampshire (Aston Martin-Bentley) - 1:51.0
6. Stan Jones (Maserati) - 1:51.5
7. Luigi Villoresi (Aston Martin-Jaguar) - 1:51.6
8. Maria Teresa de Filippis (Bentley-O.S.C.A.) - 1:51.9
9. Edgar Barth (Ultimate-O.S.C.A.) - 1:52:0
10. Lance Macklin (Bentley-Jaguar) - 1:53.1
11. Rudi Fischer (Alfa Romeo-Maserati) - 1:53.2
12. Fritz Riess (EMW-Mercedes) - 1:53.7
13. Paul Frère (Maserati) - 1:54.1
14. Geoff Richardson (Bentley) - 1:54.5
15. Peter Collins (Leader-Jaguar) - 1:55.1
16. Günther Bechem (Bentley-Aqua) - 1:55.3
17. Lex Davison (Alfa Romeo-Maserati) - 1:55.6
18. Chico Landi (Maserati) - 1:55.7
19. Duncan Hamilton (Maserati) - 1:55.9
20. Umberto Maglioli (Alfa Romeo-Maserati) - 1:57.4

With so many top teams finding themselves in pre-qualifying, it would always be a foregone conclusion as to who would make it at the very front. Moss, Gonzalez, Gordini and Rubirosa all made it with ease. Behind them, though, there would have to be some disappointments. Of course, we had both factory Maseratis failing to make the cut, as did Barth's Ultimate, Macklin's Irish Bentley or Richardson's works Bentley. None of the new team drivers taking part made it through, with all three Balkan Eagles failing to make it by a fair margin, although Fischer was the closest. Maglioli was by far the most disappointing considering his sportscar success. The Mille Miglia runner-up and Targa Florio winner ended up last and over a second behind Hamilton, despite a vastly superior chassis.

tommykl

Re: F1WRCR 1953 season - Monaco pre-qualifying up!

Post by tommykl »

And here come some qualifying performance figures for your predicting pleasure:

Schell - 84
Parnell - 89
Brandon - 92
Manzon - 92
de Graffenried - 93
Pagani - 96
de Filippis - 96
Moss - 97
Hampshire - 97
Bracco - 97
Bira - 97
Serafini - 98
Trintignant - 98
Sanesi - 99
Gordini - 99
Ruttman - 99
Gonzalez - 99
Fangio - 101
Taruffi - 101
Bettenhausen - 103
Farina - 105
Villoresi - 107
Ascari - 109
Rubirosa - 109
Jones - 112
Claes - 113
von Brauchitsch - 113
Whitehead - 114

A mostly conservative display by the usual frontrunners, with Peter Whitehead disappointing massivley at the scene of his maiden pole position, while Parnell and Manzon look set to fight for the pole. Great showing as well by Harry Schell, who should rocket up the grid.

Shadaza

Re: F1WRCR 1953 season - Monaco qualifying performance up!

Post by Shadaza »

So disappointed Barth didn't make the qualy proper. He came so close to making it too, the Ultimate car is better than this!

It has all come down to the Ferrari Gang Now! It looks like Schell has set a flyer and de Graffenreid should get a good grid spot with the prime car. Ruttman could be on the bubble.
Message me on Discord.
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

A bit disappointed and surprised that Peter Collins didnt make qualifying espicially aftrer seeing the rating he had?
Hopefully we can qualify for other races

Hopefully the gordinis do well in qualifying
HawkAussie

Post by HawkAussie »

Why oh why didn't Riess get through to main qualfying
Officially Retired
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Monaco and Belgians, we already know it's a cursed combination, but up to this points, this didn't seem to affect the non-ENB-contracted Johnny Claes. Looks like he can get a taste of monaco DNQ too, this year. You should have signed up for ENB back in 1950, Johnny! Or will he finally live up to his expectations and break the record of laps in last position?
In fact, tommy, do you keep the reject statistics of this series, or is that too much work?
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Matt121 wrote:Why oh why didn't Riess get through to main qualfying

Because everything about the car was shite :lol:

Seriously though, he's going to get better after this race, because he qualified better than in Germany last year, so both he and the team should get a bit better. The car, however, will need upgrades to improve (more on that after the race).

This wrote:Monaco and Belgians, we already know it's a cursed combination, but up to this points, this didn't seem to affect the non-ENB-contracted Johnny Claes. Looks like he can get a taste of monaco DNQ too, this year. You should have signed up for ENB back in 1950, Johnny! Or will he finally live up to his expectations and break the record of laps in last position?
In fact, tommy, do you keep the reject statistics of this series, or is that too much work?

I don't keep any lap-related statistics apart from lapped cars, because, as you said, it's too much work. I kept a full lap-chart for Monaco in 1951, but it took twice more time than usual, so I abandoned the idea.

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Qualifying results
1. Reg Parnell (Ferrari) - 1:47.3
2. Dorino Serafini (Ferrari) - 1:47.6
3. Robert Manzon (Gordini) - 1:48.2
4. Toulo de Graffenried (Ferrari) - 1:48.3
5. Consalvo Sanesi (Gordini) - 1:48.4
6. Juan Manuel Fangio (Ferrari) - 1:48.5
7. Giuseppe Farina (Alfa Romeo) - 1:48.6
8. José Froilan Gonzalez (Aston Martin-Jaguar) - 1:48.7
9. Stirling Moss (Alfa Romeo) - 1:48.8
10. B. Bira (Aston Martin-Jaguar) - 1:48.9
11. Giovanni Bracco (Ambrosiana-Alfa Romeo) - 1:49.3
12. Maurice Trintignant (Aston Martin-Jaguar) - 1:49.4
13. Tony Bettenhausen (Aston Martin-Jaguar) - 1:49.5
14. Aldo Gordini (Gordini) - 1:49.6
15. Harry Schell (Ferrari) - 1:49.9
16. Alberto Ascari (Phoenix-Mercedes) - 1:50.2
17. Nello Pagani (Maserati) - 1:50.5
18. Peter Whitehead (Alfa Romeo) - 1:50.6
19. Troy Ruttman (Ferrari) - 1:50.7
20. Porfirio Rubirosa (Ambrosiana-Alfa Romeo) - 1:51.1
21. Eric Brandon (Mercedes) - 1:51.2
22. David Hampshire (Aston Martin-Bentley) - 1:51.4
23. Maria Teresa de Filippis (Bentley-O.S.C.A.) - 1:51.6
24. Piero Taruffi (O.S.C.A.) - 1:52.3
25. Luigi Villoresi (Aston Martin-Jaguar) - 1:52.5
26. Stan Jones (Maserati) - 1:52.9
27. Manfred von Brauchitsch (Bentley) - 1:53.8
28. Johnny Claes (Leader-Mercedes) - 1:54.6

The season starts with Alfa Romeo thoroughly beaten by both Ferrari and Gordini, and JAMR well on the pace as well. Mercedes-Benz barely fail to qualify while both Ambrosianas make the cut, as well as Nello Pagani, as usual the top Maserati driver. David Hampshire comes encouragingly close to the grid, while von Brauchitsch ends Bentley's hopes of qualification. Johnny Claes continues the Belgian tradition of failing to start in Monaco by taking over where ENB left off last season. Swaters' crew decided against making the long trip, instead choosing to begin the season at the much closer Dutch Grand Prix.

With such a close grid, the race should be a beauty. Stay tuned.

pi314159

Re: F1WRCR 1953 season - Monaco qualifying up!

Post by pi314159 »

Unfortunately no OSCA-powered car on the grid. However, positions 23 and 24 mean that we should qualify comfortably for most of the other races.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.