2019 Airbnb IndyCar Series - R17: THE FINALE

In honour of our fallen comrade. Archive of all previous canon series across all disciplines.
Ataxia
Not Important

2019 Airbnb IndyCar Series - R17: THE FINALE

Post by Ataxia »

After audience share and investments were split between F1RICS and the IndyCar Series in 2015 and 2016, both series hit financial troubles and ticket sales fell through the floor. F1RICS could not survive thanks to its highly-expensive formula and hit the wall in the winter of 2016. IndyCar was able to stay alive due to the promise of backing, but needed further investment to bring it out of hibernation. The Velocity Group were unable to raise the cash required for 2017, but over 2018 a number of tech companies were able to breathe new life into the series.

What does that all mean? INDYCAR IS BACK.

TEAMS
Nine former IndyCar teams return, and are joined by a former F1RICS outfit. The Dallara DW12 will be dusted off, given a small makeover and returned to its natural habitat: the track.

TEAM PENSKE
Roger Penske's world-famous outfit are back with a vengeance. The team will run four cars, as is customary, and will be expecting championship fights.

CHIP GANASSI RACING
Losing their long-term Target backing in 2016, Chip and his marketing department will be searching for a new iconic partnership. Oh, and titles. Ganassi also run four cars.

ANDRETTI AUTOSPORT
Although Michael Andretti’s team have diversified in recent years, home is where the heart is with Indycar. The team continue their relationship with Bryan Herta Autosport, who adds a fourth car to the team’s portfolio.

A.J. FOYT ENTERPRISES
Run by Larry Foyt these days, the team haven’t been particularly successful since the 90s. Can they return to the glory days? AJ Foyt have two cars.

DALE COYNE RACING
Dale Coyne thrive on the underdog perception, and have been known to field a rotating host of young drivers in their #19 car. Can they continue to surprise once again?

ED CARPENTER RACING
Ed Carpenter’s team are at home on the oval tracks, but have rapidly improved in the road course department too. Can they take a famous Indy 500 win?

RAHAL LETTERMAN LANIGAN
The Bobby Rahal-David Letterman-Mike Lanigan triumvirate continues, and add a regular second car alongside the #15.

KVSH RACING
After turning their focus to their #11 car in 2016, the #4 makes a return to the garage. Timo Glock managed occasional wins for the team; can they repeat this in 2019?

SCHMIDT PETERSON MOTORSPORTS
Sam Schmidt’s team have found a solid midfield niche in the past few years, and will again run two cars to try to move up through the field.

CASSIDY RACING
The former F1RICS team make the step across to Indycar with a two-car team. What kind of impact will they make on the established field?

CALENDAR

The 2019 calendar is a combination of recent favourites, returning circuits and new additions, spanning six road courses, five street circuits and six ovals including the Indianapolis 500.

1. Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg, Streets of St. Petersburg, Florida - March 10
2. Books-A-Million Grand Prix of Alabama, Barber Motorsports Park, Birmingham, Alabama - March 24
3. 43rd Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach, Streets of Long Beach, California - April 7
4. Qualcomm 500, Auto Club Speedway, Fontana, California [oval] - April 14
5. Tecate Grand Prix of Monterrey presented by Banamex, Fundidora Park, Monterrey, Mexico - April 28
6. HHGregg Grand Prix of Indianapolis, Indianapolis Motor Speedway Road Course, Indiana - May 11
7. 101st Indianapolis 500, Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Indiana [oval] - May 26
8. Direct Supply Milwaukee 225 presented by Kopp's Frozen Custard, Milwaukee Mile, West Allis, Wisconsin [oval] - June 9
9. Iowa Corn 300, Iowa Speedway, Newton, Iowa [oval] - June 23
10. Smucker's Indy 200, Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Lexington, Ohio - July 7
11. Honda Indy Toronto, Exhibition Place, Toronto, Canada - July 21
12. Molson Canadian 67 Indy Montreal, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Montreal, Canada - July 28
13. Chevrolet Grand Prix at the Glen, Watkins Glen International, New York - August 18
14. Firestone 600, Texas Motor Speedway, Fort Worth, Texas [oval] - August 25
15. ABC Supply 500, Pocono Raceway, Long Pond, Pennsylvania - September 8
16. Gallo Family Vineyards Grand Prix of Sonoma, Sonoma Raceway, California - September 15
17. Mazda SKYACTIV Grand Prix of Monterey, Laguna Seca, California - September 22

There will be two Young Driver tests after Alabama and Mid-Ohio.

SPONSORS & BUDGET

A number of large sponsors are looking for the stars of IndyCar to return home. I will provide a big spreadsheet of sponsors, each offering different sums of money, terms and conditions. Each sponsor is signed PER CAR, and therefore only that car's achievements will go towards any bonus criteria.

The sponsorship signing process will form your season budget. Teams will be declared bankrupt if they fail to pay the $200k entry bond at the end of the season.

ENGINES

Chevrolet and Honda return to fight it out on American shores. However, a third contender has joined in the form of Mazda. Each engine has a different upgrade path, and you may purchase upgrades sequentially.

DRIVER SIGNING

Once sponsors have been selected and allocated, you may sign drivers who fit the profile of the sponsors' criteria in order to claim their money. Paydrivers are also available and don't require a wage, but may offer reduced performance levels.

TEAM UPGRADES

Teams can purchase engine upgrades, as discussed, but can also use their money to focus on their infrastructure. You can spend money on...
- Improving your mechanics, which can improve reliability
- Improving your marketing team, which improves your chances during an RNG event (sponsor/driver signing).

POINT SYSTEM

Base rate:
1st: 50, 2nd: 40, 3rd: 35, 4th: 32, 5th: 30, 6th: 28, 7th: 26, 8th: 24, 9th: 22, 10th: 20, 11th: 19
12th: 18, 13th: 17, 14th: 16, 15th: 15, 16th: 14, 17th: 13, 18th: 12, 19th: 11, 20th: 10,
21st: 9, 22nd: 8, 23rd: 7, 24th: 6, 25th-33: 5

Pole: 2, FL: 1 (except Indy 500)

Indy 500 & season finale offer double-points.

Indy 500 qualifying points: 1st: 33, 2nd: 32, 3rd: 31 [...] 31st: 3, 32nd: 2, 33rd: 1.

MISCELLANEOUS

The series will be run using GP2, except the Indy 500 weekend which will be done using rFactor. This is so that I can implement realistic qualifying for the event (ie. the Fast Nine).

There will be 26 cars at each round except the Indy 500, where extra one-off entries will be tendered. The process for these entries will begin after the sponsor and driver signing is complete, and will be closed after Round 4, the Qualcomm 500 at Fontana. These will be awarded to the more realistic entries.

LINKS

Past seasons: http://formularejects.com/wiki/Alternate_IndyCar_Series
2019 season: http://formularejects.com/wiki/2019_Air ... Car_Series
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Ataxia
Not Important

Re: 2019 Airbnb IndyCar Series

Post by Ataxia »

Teams & Drivers

A. J. Foyt Enterprises (TheFlyingCaterham) - Money: $700,000
#14 - Max Chilton - Sponsor: Renown Inc.
#41 - Collin Pratchett - Sponsor: Coca-Cola
Engine: Mazda (Level 2) / Mechanics: Level 0 / Marketing: Level 0

Andretti Autosport (Klon & Pinkd56) - Money: $4,620,000
#26 - Felipe Massa - Sponsor: HP Enterprise
#27 - Marco Andretti - Sponsor: 7-Eleven
#28 - Kyle Kaiser / Victor Guerin
#98 - Colton Herta - Sponsor: Del Taco
Engine: Mazda (Level 2) / Mechanics: Level 0 / Marketing: Level 0

Cassidy Racing (Normal32) - Money: $450,000
#64 - Ashley Cassidy - Sponsor: Exide
#65 - Raffaele Marciello - Sponsor: Aldi
Engine: Chevrolet (Level 2) / Mechanics: Level 1 / Marketing: Level 0

Chip Ganassi Racing (pi314159) - Money: $5,500,000
#8 - Ryan Hunter-Reay - Sponsor: DHL
#9 - Lance Stroll - Sponsor: Sirius XM
#10 - Carlos Munoz - Sponsor: Merchant First
#83 - Scott Dixon - Sponsor: Keurig
Engine: Chevrolet (Level 1) / Mechanics: Level 3 / Marketing: Level 0

Dale Coyne Racing (Wizzie) - Money: $50,000
#18 - Josef Newgarden - Sponsor: FedEx
#19 - JR Hildebrand / RC Enerson / Gabby Chaves / Jorge Cevallos / Scott Hargrove - Sponsor: Five Guys
Engine: Honda (Level 0) / Mechanics: Level 1 / Marketing: Level 0

Ed Carpenter Racing (RonDenisDeletraz) - Money: $0
#20 - Conor Daly / Ed Carpenter - Sponsor: Novo Nordisk
#21 - Ryan Briscoe - Sponsor: Pennzoil
Engine: Honda (Level 0) / Mechanics: Level 0 / Marketing: Level 0

KV Racing Technology (Miguel98) - Money: $1,420,000
#4 - Sebastien Bourdais - Sponsor: IHG Rewards Club
#11 - Simona de Silvestro - Sponsor: TE Connectivity
Engine: Honda (Level 0) / Mechanics: Level 0 / Marketing: Level 0

Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing (SeedStriker) - Money: $1,300,000
#15 - Graham Rahal - Sponsor: GE
#16 - Esteban Guerrieri - Sponsor: YPF
Engine: Chevrolet (Level 2) / Mechanics: Level 2 / Marketing: Level 1

Schmidt Peterson Motorsport (pasta_maldonado) - Money: $60,000
#5 - Sergio Perez - Sponsor: Telmex
#7 - Karun Chandhok - Sponsor: TATA
Engine: Chevrolet (Level 1) / Mechanics: Level 0 / Marketing: Level 0

Team Penske (kevinbotz) - Money: $3,410,000
#2 - Simon Pagenaud - Sponsor: Verizon
#3 - Will Power - Sponsor: Verizon
#12 - Thomas De Bock - Sponsor: Hydroxycut
#22 - James Hinchcliffe - Sponsor: Arrow
Engine: Honda (Level 2) / Mechanics: Level 4 / Marketing: Level 4

Waiting list:
V8fan12
Pasta
Salamander
Reject_Dom
thor97
Pilot8
mike robers
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Ataxia
Not Important

Re: 2019 Airbnb IndyCar Series

Post by Ataxia »

None of the driver/sponsor signing processes are available yet, and won't be for some time. What I will do, to whet your appetites, is open the application process for teams.

Instead of a first-come first-served basis, you will have to select a team you'd like to manage. I will award teams at my own discretion, but people who are not involved in ARWS and Current-Era F1 simultaneously will receive preference. Of course, that doesn't stop anyone from applying, and I will also give precedence to those who I believe can get into the spirit of the series.

Andretti have the option to "sub-let" the Bryan Herta car.

Anyone who misses out on a team will be able to join the waiting list.
TomWazzleshaw

Re: 2019 Airbnb IndyCar Series - Apply today!

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

I would like to apply to run Dale Coyne Racing, and hopefully channel the spirit of the great Dale Coyne himself, complete with hairbrained strategies to take the #18 and #19 to victory lane. As a backup, I'll happily run Jimmy Vasser's mob down at KVSH Racing instead.
Last edited by TomWazzleshaw on 01 Sep 2016, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

I'll apply for AJ Foyt Enterprises because the RNG gods said so. Also kinda want to expand my involvement with the canon a little bit.
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

I would like to apply to run ED CARPENTER RACING, with RAHAL LETTERMAN LANIGAN as my second choice.
Last edited by Miguel98 on 02 Sep 2016, 08:18, edited 1 time in total.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
SeedStriker

Post by SeedStriker »

I'll apply for Rahal-Letterman Lanigan. My secondary choice will be Penske.
Last edited by SeedStriker on 02 Sep 2016, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

I will apply to run SCHMIDT PETERSON MOTORSPORTS
Gonzalez

Post by Gonzalez »

I Guess I will apply for Team Penske. One of the big boys at Indycar and formally Champ Car.

Ganassi is also another team i know that can possibly do very well. I will apply that too.
Last edited by Gonzalez on 01 Sep 2016, 15:16, edited 3 times in total.
Dexter249

Post by Dexter249 »

I'd Like to apply to run Andretti to hopefully make them less-rejectFul than they are IRL (And In FE), Second choice is KVSH
Last edited by Dexter249 on 01 Sep 2016, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.
FIAT Group, finding loopholes in the FIA rulebook since it's inception.
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

I will apply for Cassidy Racing. However, that doesn't mean i am not open to taking over any team, since i really have no preference.
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

I'd like to apply for the stewardship of Team Penske. Failing that, I'd like to exercise my option to control Cassidy Racing as a fallback option.
Last edited by kevinbotz on 01 Sep 2016, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.
Klon, on Alt-F1 wrote: I like to think it's more poker than gambling, though.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

You can name a second choice if you wish, just edit it into your posts. I'll make a decision on who runs what based on various factors at the end of the real IndyCar season.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

I'd like to run Ganassi. My second choice is Foyt.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

I'll respect the preference for having new blood take the driver slots, though I'll be willing to take any teams that are still vacant if it comes to that.

I would like to show interest in doing a one-off entry for the 500 though if I don't get a team.
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

I obviously desire to be in charge of Andretti. As I am running the Andretti entries in Formula E and F4, my interest is self-explanatory.

Should ataxia decide to award Andretti to someone else, I would also accept the Herta "lease" and/or cooperate with the user running Andretti to create a coherent identity.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

I'm equally interested in pretty much any team, but would prefer a team with only two cars. Schmidt-Peterson maybe? Not too worried about which team I get, as I was sold when I heard about a "big spreadsheet"
V8fan12

Post by V8fan12 »

I will apply for Schmidt Peterson Motorsports, with KVSH Racing as my second choice.
Owner of the Peak Motorsport Group.

Biscione wrote:I mean, Renaldo Jimenez, could you ask for a more world class pay driver? Who even is Alexey Buyvolov, amirite?
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

I will like to apply to run Ed Carpenter Racing, with Coyne being my second choice
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
SuperAguri
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SuperAguri »

Just 10 teams? Or will there be one offs for the Indy 500?
<@Ataxia> these people are making a mess of their crepe suzettes
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

SuperAguri wrote:Just 10 teams? Or will there be one offs for the Indy 500?

Ataxia wrote:There will be 26 cars at each round except the Indy 500, where extra one-off entries will be tendered. The process for these entries will begin after the sponsor and driver signing is complete, and will be closed after Round 4, the Qualcomm 500 at Fontana. These will be awarded to the more realistic entries.

Furthermore, I'll leave applications open until midday tomorrow since we've got a fair bit of interest, and then I'll close it and make a decision on teams.
FantometteBR

Post by FantometteBR »

My top option is Chip Ganassi, with Ed Carpenter being the second
Bertrand Gachot, Pacific, Connew and Piercarlo Ghinzani's No.1 Fan

1995 Rejects-1 World Champion with Driver (Julio Vaca) and Team (V.I.D.A.) - Because the first time you can never forget
thor97

Post by thor97 »

I will apply for A.J Foyt or Chip Gannassi as my second choice
Fernando Alonso wrote:The Engine Feels good
Much Slower than Before
Amazing
Ataxia
Not Important

Re: 2019 Airbnb IndyCar Series - Applications closed!

Post by Ataxia »

Applications are closed. Having deliberated during the application process, here's what people have:

Team Penske - kevinbotz
Chip Ganassi Racing - pi314159
Andretti Autosport - Klon
Ed Carpenter Racing - RonDenisDeletraz
KVSH Racing - Dexter249
Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing - SeedStriker
Schmidt Peterson Motorsports - Aislabie
Dale Coyne Racing - Wizzie
A. J. Foyt Enterprises - TheFlyingCaterham
Cassidy Racing - Normal32

As for those who missed out, don't fret! You'll go onto the waiting list, and you can enter one-off Indy 500 entries later on. Because we're ahead of schedule, I'll open the driver and sponsor signing in a couple of weeks time.

I will also be adding a check-in period once the season begins; all team owners will be required to be active in the series discourse at least once every four rounds.
Pinkd56
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pinkd56 »

I appreciate the applications have closed but whomever gets the Andretti team, I'd be interested in running the Herta car.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Pinkd56 wrote:I appreciate the applications have closed but whomever gets the Andretti team, I'd be interested in running the Herta car.

If you can live with the limitation oft only hiring drivers form the Americas, I would be glad to accomodate you.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

I will like to enter the waiting list please!

In addition, when do I need to submit details regarding one-off entries for the Indy 500?
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:In addition, when do I need to submit details regarding one-off entries for the Indy 500?

Ataxia wrote:...and you can enter one-off Indy 500 entries later on.

V8fan12

Post by V8fan12 »

I will definitely join the waiting list
Owner of the Peak Motorsport Group.

Biscione wrote:I mean, Renaldo Jimenez, could you ask for a more world class pay driver? Who even is Alexey Buyvolov, amirite?
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Looking forward to leading Ed Carpenter Racing in this brave new era
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
mike robers

Post by mike robers »

Please put me on the waiting list.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Now, it's time to be a massive tease. Below is the complete sponsorship spreadsheet. This details all of the terms, conditions and bonus arrangements available. The window to make applications is not open, but you can start having thoughts about what direction you'd like to take.

How does this work? Once the window opens you will have the opportunity to sign a sponsor for each car. If you have two cars, then you will need to sign one for each. There are sponsors which pay less initially, but most likely make up the deficit with performance clauses. The sponsors which pay more upfront may not have any performance clauses, but have conditions which are harder to meet.

If you do not meet the conditions, then you do not retain the sponsor payout. For example, DHL require you to sign Ryan Hunter-Reay. They will front you the $4.5M to try and secure him, but if he moves elsewhere then you do not keep that $4.5M. Of course, you may be able to outbid others by spending the entire $4.5M to secure his services, but you risk having nothing to spend on improving your team or on engine updates. So, you have that trade-off. Performance clauses apply only to the one car; for example; AT&T provide $2m per street circuit victory. If driver X is signed to the AT&T car, only driver X's results count towards fulfilling the bonus criteria. Some sponsors demand to be signed to two cars, so all clauses apply to both.

If you wish to completely bypass the sponsor and driver signing process, you can sign one of the paydrivers offered on the list. These paydrivers pay up-front and do not require a wage, but in return you get a reduced driver performance, which is amplified for the higher-value paydrivers.

As of 2019, everyone will have a largely equal opportunity to sign sponsors, although there maybe some small swing in favour of the more successful outfits. However, you will be able to spend money on upgrading your marketing team which increases your chances of landing sponsors and drivers during an RNG process. This will be tempered with a success multiplier, so you can't just plough all of your money into it and neglect on-track performance.

One more thing: you can only sign one sponsor from a given sector. For example, you could not sign both Steak 'n' Shake and Del Taco to your team, since they're both in the Food & Drink sector.

Any questions you want to ask, please ask now!

ENGINES

Here's something that you CAN do now, you can choose an engine partner for the first three-year cycle. Once you select your engine partner, you are locked in until the end of 2021. Each engine development path is different, and costs of each step vary. You may only purchase one step in the development path every seven races, and must be done sequentially.

Each engine supplier can only accommodate four full-time teams each. Indy 500 one-offs can simply just select a supplier, and will receive engines at the base power value. The coefficient of failure is added to the base Dallara figure of 2500.

Normal32

Re: 2019 Airbnb IndyCar Series - things!

Post by Normal32 »

Cassidy Racing will choose Chevy as our engine partner.
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Dale Coyne will go with the Honda powerplants.

Also, we have a question about the KFC Indonesia sponsorship. If the avatar is Armand instead of Gelael, can the bonus be bumped up to $500k? :P
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Dexter249

Post by Dexter249 »

KVSH Will take Ricer Engines (Honda)
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Wizzie wrote:Dale Coyne will go with the Honda powerplants.

Also, we have a question about the KFC Indonesia sponsorship. If the avatar is Armand instead of Gelael, can the bonus be bumped up to $500k? :P

Armand's far too anonymous. Has to be Gelael, I'm afraid, and it either has to be this specific picture:

...or one where he's doing something a bit more cringey. Up to you!
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

Ganassi will take Chevy engines.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
Dexter249

Post by Dexter249 »

"Must hire former NASCAR driver"
Whoever takes this i bet will try to hire either Scott Speed or JPM
kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

Penske will opt for Honda power for 2019.
Klon, on Alt-F1 wrote: I like to think it's more poker than gambling, though.
SeedStriker

Post by SeedStriker »

Rahal will go with Chevy power