2019 Airbnb IndyCar Series - R17: THE FINALE

In honour of our fallen comrade. Archive of all previous canon series across all disciplines.
Ataxia
Not Important

Re: 2019 Airbnb IndyCar Series - IOWA CORN 300

Post by Ataxia »

pasta_maldonado wrote:Team Name: Schmidt Peterson Motorsports
Test Driver 1: Fajny Sklep
DOB: 15/12/2001
DEC Holder: Me

Test Driver 2: Konrad Czacyk
DOB: 1996

It's been brought to my attention (because I'm FAR too trusting apparently and didn't check) that Sklep is below the age restriction. You'll need to shop around for someone else ;)
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Racer.com wrote:Coyne retains Jamin, Rayhall for Young Driver Test

Dale Coyne Racing have retained the services of their two young drivers, Nico Jamin and Sean Rayhall, for the upcoming young driver test at Mid Ohio. The two former Indy Lights race winners have previously driven for the team at Barber Motorsport Park in April.

"Nico and Sean are two rising stars in the Indycar scene,
and we've always been about giving the young guys a crack." said Dale. "They've both been impressive every time they've stepped in the car, and I hope to work with both of them in IndyCar in the future."

With Coyne looking to make a decision about his drivers before September, it's expected that both Jamin and Rayhall would feature in the team's plans for 2020.

Team Name: Dale Coyne Racing
Test Driver 1: Sean Rayhall
DOB: 1995
DEC Holder (if fictional): N/A

Test Driver 2: Nico Jamin
DOB: 1995
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

As Sklwp is below the age restriction, can SPM enter just the one driver into the YDT?
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

pasta_maldonado wrote:As Sklwp is below the age restriction, can SPM enter just the one driver into the YDT?

You could, or you could give Jerry de Boer a whirl...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Team Name: Andretti Autosport
Test Driver 1: Eduardo Armando
DOB: 08/26/1995
DEC Holder (if fictional): Me

Test Driver 2: Cameron Das
DOB: 03/17/2000
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Ataxia wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:As Sklwp is below the age restriction, can SPM enter just the one driver into the YDT?

You could, or you could give Jerry de Boer a whirl...

In which case, SPM offers Jerry de Boer a seat for the YDT.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

indycar.com wrote:Provisional 2020 calendar revealed, Mexico makes way for Toronto Twin

After passing the mid-way point of the reborn Airbnb IndyCar Series, the public was given its first glance of next year's potential calendar, which remains at 17 rounds and is largely unchanged from the 2019 offering.

Most notably, the hop across the Mexican border is gone for 2020, as the organisers focus on securing a race in Mexico City for the following year. As a result, the Fundidora Park venue will not be on the calendar, and is expected instead to host the FIA Formula E championship.

Instead, Toronto will host the "Honda Twin at Toronto", its double-header event for the first time since 2014.

Furthermore, the oval circuit schedule has been provided with a shake-up, with the Michigan International Speedway returning to the calendar after a 13-year hiatus, while the Homestead-Miami Speedway will also appear for the first time since 2010. These events replace those at the Milwaukee Mile and the Pocono Raceway.

Provisional Calendar:
1. Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg, St. Petersburg, Florida
2. Camping World Grand Prix of Alabama, Barber Motorsports Park, Alabama
3. 44th Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach, Long Beach, California
4. Qualcomm 500, Auto Club Speedway, Fontana, California
5. Liquor Locker Grand Prix of Indianapolis, Indianapolis Motor Speedway Road Course, Indiana
6. 102nd Indianapolis 500, Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Indiana
7. Honda Twin at Toronto 1, Exhibition Place, Toronto, Ontario
8. Honda Twin at Toronto 2, Exhibition Place, Toronto, Ontario
9. Pinty's Grand Prix of Montreal, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Montreal, Quebec
10. Iowa Corn 300, Iowa Speedway, Newton, Iowa
11. Champion Indy 200, Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Lexington, Ohio
12. Kellogg's Froot Loops 400, Michigan International Speedway, Brooklyn, Michigan
13. Chevrolet Grand Prix at the Glen, Watkins Glen International, New York
14. Fuzzy's Ultra Premium Vodka Indy 300, Homestead-Miami Speedway, Florida
15. Firestone 600, Texas Motor Speedway, Fort Worth, Texas
16. Gallo Family Vineyards Grand Prix of Sonoma, Sonoma Raceway, Sears Point, California
17. Mazda SKYACTIV Grand Prix of California, Laguna Seca, Monterey, California
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

Team Name: Chip Ganassi Racing
Test Driver 1: Jazmin Caldeiro
DOB: 19/8/1999
DEC Holder (if fictional): me

Test Driver 2: Santino Ferrucci
DOB: 31/5/1998
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
Ataxia
Not Important

Re: 2019 Airbnb IndyCar Series - R10: MID-OHIO

Post by Ataxia »

2019 Airbnb Indycar Series - Round 10 - Smucker's Indy 200, Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Lexington, Ohio

Qualifying

Race

autosport.com wrote:Rahal dominates in tactical Mid-Ohio race

Graham Rahal took his third IndyCar Series victory of 2019 with an exceptional drive at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.

Rahal started from pole, and although Ryan Hunter-Reay provided the RLL driver with a stern challenge at the beginning of the race, Rahal prevailed and started to build a strong lead.

Three-stopping, Rahal fell behind the two-stopping duo of Scott Dixon and Simon Pagenaud after his opening stop, but reclaimed the lead shortly before Dixon and Pagenaud pulled into pitroad.

Rahal was very much unchallenged from this point on, building an unassailable lead that ensured he easily retained the lead after his third and final pitstop. He took the chequered flag almost 20 seconds ahead of the second-placed Scott Dixon, who equalled his best result of the season so far.

Penske and Ganassi set up a thrilling battle for the podium placings, pitting the two-stopping Dixon and Pagenaud against the three-stoppers of Will Power and Carlos Munoz. Making the trip to the pits twice was the better call, as Pagenaud joined Dixon on the podium, despite a late challenge from Power.

Munoz crossed the line in fifth ahead of James Hinchcliffe, who passed team-mate Thomas de Bock in the late stages of the race.

Ryan Hunter-Reay produced a sensational recovery drive to finish 8th, after an early spin dropped the Ganassi driver to the back of the field.

Ashley Cassidy finished 9th after being passed by Hunter-Reay in the last five laps, as Sergio Perez rounded out the top 10.

The race's only caution was thrown for a pile-up instigated by Felipe Massa, who hit the wall and almost collected Max Chilton, RC Enerson and Hinchcliffe, who had just completed his first pitstop.

Results

Budgets have been updated, as have the standings.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Mid-Ohio Young Drivers' Test:

1. Jazmin Caldeiro (Chip Ganassi Racing) - 1:06.234
2. John Davis (Cassidy Racing) - 1:06.318
3. Zach Veach (Harding Racing) - 1:06.534
4. Oliver Askew (Team Penske) - 1:06.536
5. Ed Jones (KV Racing Technology) - 1:06.647
6. Eduardo Armando (Andretti Autosport) - 1:06.668
7. Kyle Kaiser (Harding Racing) - 1:06.668
8. John D. Sullivan (Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing) - 1:06.682
9. Mineiro (Team Penske) - 1:06.694
10. Konrad Czaczyk (Schmidt Peterson Motorsports) - 1:06.715
11. Jerry de Boer (Schmidt Peterson Motorsports) - 1:06.740
12. Pierre St. Laurent (Andretti Herta Autosport) - 1:06.754
13. Santino Ferrucci (Chip Ganassi Racing) - 1:06.771
14. Jorge del Rio (Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing) - 1:06.782
15. Axel Matus (KV Racing Technology) - 1:06.826
16. Sean Rayhall (Dale Coyne Racing) - 1:06.842
17. Nico Jamin (Dale Coyne Racing) - 1:06.882
18. Cameron Das (Andretti Autosport) - 1:06.885
19. Ritomo Miyata (Cassidy Racing) - 1:06.904
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Motosport.com wrote:KV to leave at the end of the season?

The horizon for the KV Racing Technology doesn't paint a pretty picture. The squad which fielded ex-F1 driver Sebastien Bourdais and swiss Simona di Silvestro in this year's IndyCar series is said to be struggling financially - the funding of both drivers not beeing enough to help cover the teams costs of trips and repairs of the cars.

Team principal Kevin Kalkhoven was quoted as saying: "We are trying to find the remaining funds to find our next year program. We are not far off, but right now, we are at a point where were spending more in repairs and trips across the country then we are gaining. So, while the situation can be a bit concerning, there is no red light on yet for our team." The team was on the provisional entry list for the 2020 Airbnb IndyCar Series, but nothing is of sure yet.

The 2019 Airbnb IndyCar Series continues its course with the 11th round of the calendar being next week in Canada, for the Honda Indy Toronto, held at the Exhibition Place at Toronto.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Ataxia
Not Important

Re: 2019 Airbnb IndyCar Series - R11: Toronto

Post by Ataxia »

2019 Airbnb Indycar Series - Round 11 - Honda Indy Toronto, Exhibition Place, Toronto, Canada

Qualifying

Race

autosport.com wrote:Hunter-Reay takes easy victory in Toronto

Ryan Hunter-Reay dominated the IndyCar Series race in Toronto to take his first victory of 2019, finishing 12 seconds ahead of Penske's Will Power.

Hunter-Reay was in fine form from the very beginning, making a quick start to draw alongside polesitter Power before nosing ahead of the Australian in turn 2.

From then on, the Ganassi driver managed the gap in the early stages to pull over two seconds ahead of Power, ensuring that the Penske crew could not make the undercut work. Although Power emerged from the first pitstop close to Hunter-Reay, the American had the clear pace advantage and extended his lead further.

Power was nowhere near Hunter-Reay after that, and will have to wait a little longer for his first Indycar win of the year as he settled for second.

Ashley Cassidy put in a quietly impressive drive to claim third, benefitting from team-mate Raffaele Marciello's mid-race spin to finish just four seconds behind Power.

Ganassi also made Lance Stroll's pit calls work, and the Canadian rose to fourth in the first of his home events after jumping both Scott Dixon and Sergio Perez in the second phase of stops.

Dixon finished fifth ahead of Marciello and James Hinchcliffe, as Sebastien Bourdais, Perez and Josef Newgarden completed the top 10.

Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Andretti hereby purchases the first upgrade for the Mazda engine.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Klon wrote:Andretti hereby purchases the first upgrade for the Mazda engine.

Added. Budgets should be up to date, and standings are here.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

As we're into the final few races, I thought I'd announce some tweaks and changes to the 2020 ruleset, just to balance a few things out.

- New sponsor spreadsheet: a larger focus has been placed on race-by-race payout criteria, allowing you more scope to find a driver who fits the purpose better, rather than having to hire a box-ticker.

- Changes to paydriver mechanics: Paydrivers will pay more for drives, offering a viable alternative for anyone wishing to bypass the sponsor signing process. Furthermore, there are some select promoted drivers who are able to match sponsor criteria and also offer a small bonus fee. These are primarily former Indy Lights runners and riders.

- Team perks: - From next year, each team will receive a small bonus which is based on real-life (or past canon) characteristics. Some teams are better at ovals than others, some teams have more pull in the sponsor market...it'll all be fair and balanced, don't worry!

- End-of-season prize money: I didn't advertise the mandatory $200k entry for 2020 enough, so I'll waive that for this year. For next year, teams will receive an end-of-season prize payout based on the average number of points they collect, and should allow the teams to anticipate whether they'll have the $200k necessary to compete in the next season. Going with a gun driver in one car and a tugger in the other might seem like a good bet for the championship, but the trade-off is that you potentially lose out on prize money. It's up to you.

- More effective upgrades: It'll still be a case of stacking the odds in your favour a bit more with regards to reliability and RNGs, but I want to encourage people to roll out the upgrades. If everyone's putting money into their marketing departments, can you really afford to miss out?

- Scouting/Ratings out of 100: You can now scout drivers...well, sort of! Before the 2020 driver signing process, you can PM me the names of up to three drivers and I'll provide their rating out of 100. Think of them like FIFA ratings. In Young Driver Tests, you'll be able to run drivers and in return, receive a range in which their performance falls into. This helps you determine who's worth keeping an eye on.

Of course, drivers get better over time and this year's rookies will only improve, meaning that those who have struggled in 2019 may still develop into race winners yet.

- New teams: If a team departs, I have an advisory list of teams you can choose to bring in (complete with unique perk). If you wish to enter your own team, I'll look into whether it's a realistic entry and determine a unique perk based on past performances in other series.

As it stands, KV and Schmidt-Peterson will be leaving at the end of the season.

- News report payments: It's going up to $25k per news-style report next season, up to a maximum of three reports between each race weekend. You can do this in one forum post or three staggered posts, and must be of reasonable length. One new sponsor adds a bonus $5k to these reports if you fulfil their criteria.

I think that's all of them, and I hope they add a few extra elements to the gameplay! otherwise i'll just sack indy off entirely
Ataxia
Not Important

Re: 2019 Airbnb IndyCar Series - R12: Montreal!

Post by Ataxia »

2019 Airbnb Indycar Series - Round 12 - Molson Canadian 67 Indy Montreal with Pinty's, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve , Montreal, Canada

Qualifying (kinda forgot to screenshot...)

Code: Select all

ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿       
       ³                       Race Starting Grid                       ³       
       ³                       ------------------                       ³       
       ³                        Canada - Montreal                       ³       
       ³                            (69 Laps)                           ³       
       ³                                                                ³       
       ³Pole                1                                           ³       
       ³               Scott Dixon                                      ³       
       ³               1m 15.177s                   2                   ³       
       ³                                     Simon Pagenaud             ³       
       ³Row 2               3                  1m 15.236s               ³       
       ³              Carlos Munoz                                      ³       
       ³               1m 15.269s                   4                   ³       
       ³                                    Ryan Hunter-Reay            ³       
       ³Row 3               5                  1m 15.326s               ³       
       ³               Will Power                                       ³       
       ³               1m 15.371s                   6                   ³       
       ³                                     Thomas De Bock             ³       
       ³Row 4               7                  1m 15.372s               ³       
       ³              Felipe Massa                                      ³       
       ³               1m 15.402s                   8                   ³       
       ³                                   Raffaele Marciello           ³       
       ³Row 5               9                  1m 15.420s               ³       
       ³            James Hinchcliffe                                   ³       
       ³               1m 15.468s                  10                   ³       
       ³                                     Ashley Cassidy             ³       
       ³Row 6              11                  1m 15.484s               ³       
       ³             Josef Newgarden                                    ³       
       ³               1m 15.522s                  12                   ³       
       ³                                       Conor Daly               ³       
       ³Row 7              13                  1m 15.668s               ³       
       ³              Lance Stroll                                      ³       
       ³               1m 15.694s                  14                   ³       
       ³                                     Marco Andretti             ³       
       ³Row 8              15                  1m 15.740s               ³       
       ³              Sergio Perez                                      ³       
       ³               1m 15.760s                  16                   ³       
       ³                                      Graham Rahal              ³       
       ³Row 9              17                  1m 15.771s               ³       
       ³            Collin Pratchett                                    ³       
       ³               1m 15.843s                  18                   ³       
       ³                                      Colton Herta              ³       
       ³Row 10             19                  1m 15.876s               ³       
       ³              Ryan Briscoe                                      ³       
       ³               1m 15.960s                  20                   ³       
       ³                                     Karun Chandhok             ³       
       ³Row 11             21                  1m 15.978s               ³       
       ³               Max Chilton                                      ³       
       ³               1m 16.030s                  22                   ³       
       ³                                     Scott Hargrove             ³       
       ³Row 12             23                  1m 16.121s               ³       
       ³           Sebastien Bourdais                                   ³       
       ³               1m 16.126s                  24                   ³       
       ³                                    Esteban Guerrieri           ³       
       ³Row 13             25                  1m 16.297s               ³       
       ³           Simona de Silvestro                                  ³       
       ³               1m 16.308s                  26                   ³       
       ³                                      Victor Guerin             ³       
       ³                                       1m 16.351s               ³       
       ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÙ     

Race

autosport.com wrote:Power secures first 2017 win at Montreal

Will Power belatedly secured his first IndyCar Series victory at Montreal, extending his championship lead over nearest rival Graham Rahal to fifty points.

Starting from fifth on the grid, Power was able to quickly get among the front runners, battling with team-mates Simon Pagenaud and Thomas De Bock, as well as polesitter Scott Dixon.

Power and Pagenaud dropped Dixon and fought for the lead with De Bock, the Belgian producing a strong defensive drive to try and secure his first Indycar win.

De Bock then braked too deep into the Turn 10 hairpin in the final quarter of the race, allowing Power to steam through and accept the lead before the Belgian's engine cried enough with ten laps to go.

Dixon was able to get ahead of Simon Pagenaud to secure 2nd, with the Frenchman attempting a three-stop strategy.

Colton Herta managed his best result of the season, clinching 4th to head a trio of much-improved Andretti cars as Felipe Massa and Marco Andretti finished 5th and 6th.

Carlos Munoz beat team-mate Lance Stroll to the line to secure 7th, followed home by Ashley Cassidy. James Hinchcliffe and Scott Hargrove secured 10th and 11th in their second home race of the year.

RonDenisDeletraz

Re: 2019 Airbnb IndyCar Series - LOOK! BOOBS!

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

For the record I am still following this, but there isn't much Ed Carpenter Racing can do with no money
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:For the record I am still following this, but there isn't much Ed Carpenter Racing can do with no money

You can get money with news report payments, or you can sack a driver and bring in a paydriver.

At this late stage, however, you're best off formulating plans for 2020.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

2019 Airbnb Indycar Series - Round 13 - Chevrolet Grand Prix at the Glen, Watkins Glen International, New York

Qualifying

Race Report

autosport.com wrote:Rahal closes championship lead with Watkins Glen victory

Graham Rahal clinched a convincing victory at Watkins Glen, closing to within five points of the top of the IndyCar Series standings as Will Power retired.

Chasing polesitter James Hinchcliffe at the start, Rahal produced a spectacular move around the outside of the Canadian driver at The Loop, followed through by Lance Stroll.

Although Stroll set some searing pace in the opening laps, he was unable to close up to the back of Rahal's Dallara-Chevrolet and instead fell back after a spin.

Rahal was not able to capitalise on the respite for long, as Stroll's Ganassi team-mate Ryan Hunter-Reay put the Rahal Letterman Lanigan driver under more pressure after the opening pit-stop phase.

Although Hunter-Reay briefly overcame Rahal after the latter had to perform an emergency splash-and-dash in the final ten laps, the Ganassi driver had to top up on fuel himself after pushing too hard in the final stint, and had to settle for second.

Rahal, as a result of championship rival Will Power's inability to score a good haul of points - the Penske driver suffered electrical problems - dramatically closed the 50-point gap between the pair before picking up an extra point for securing the fastest lap of the race.

Title rival Simon Pagenaud kept himself in the battle for the championship with a solid third place, although the Frenchman had to save fuel in the latter stages of the race, and was unable to jump the front duo during their emergency pitstops.

Collin Pratchett managed a season-best fourth place, giving the AJ Foyt Racing team something to smile about as he beat Thomas De Bock to the line by just over three seconds.

After starting low down on the grid, Felipe Massa put in another impressive run to follow sixth-placed Josef Newgarden home, and was sandwiched by both Dale Coyne Racing drivers as RC Enerson claimed eighth on his return to the number 19 car.

James Hinchcliffe, after starting on pole, had to pit in the early stages with a broken front wing and reshuffled his strategy to only require one further stop. This allowed the Penske driver to climb back up to sixth, but Hinchcliffe endured more heartbreak after his Honda engine cried enough with two laps to spare.

Standings
TomWazzleshaw

Re: 2019 Airbnb IndyCar Series - R13: THE GLEN

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Racer.com wrote:Enerson edges towards full-time drive

After another impressive top 10 finish at Watkins Glen, RC Enerson's stocks have skyrocketed amongst the Indycar fraternity. Having kept pace with highly-rated teammate Josef Newgarden all weekend, the 22 year old Florida native is now courting several full-time offers from teams for next year.

"It's flattering to be getting this much attention so far into the season," said Enerson after the race. "Obviously my number 1 priority is to deliver the best results possible for Dale and repay the faith he has put in me, but I have been talking to a few teams for 2020. I'd love to move up to the #19 full-time next season, but failing that, there's a few other offers on the table I'm considering."

While Enerson was coy about revealing who has expressed interest, it's widely believed that both Mike Harding and Sam Schmidt have shown a desire to hire the talented young driver for 2020.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Ataxia
Not Important

Re: 2019 Airbnb IndyCar Series - R14: RED HOT TEXAS STYLE OV

Post by Ataxia »

2019 Airbnb Indycar Series - Round 14 - Firestone 600, Texas Motor Speedway, Fort Worth

Qualifying

Race Report

motorsport.com wrote:Cassidy converts pole to win in Texas

Ashley Cassidy produced a well-managed race at the Texas Motor Speedway to clinch victory, taking her second IndyCar Series win of 2019.

Starting from pole, Cassidy came under immediate pressure from both Ryan Hunter-Reay and Esteban Guerrieri, with both passing the Cassidy Racing driver early to squabble over the lead.

Instead of fighting back, Cassidy kept pace and was able to recover the advantage before the first round of stops.

However, a poor pit-stop put her afternoon in jeopardy as Cassidy rejoined in the congested midfield pack, but the American was able to carve through the traffic to make a long stint work.

Returning to the front pack with 40 laps to go, Cassidy was able to jump past both Josef Newgarden and Sergio Perez to recover the lead, before breaking away from the pair to secure the win.

Perez claimed his best result of a difficult 2019 with a well-earned second place - the Mexican led a number of laps in the middle part of the race, as his Schmidt-Peterson team unlocked more pace from their Dallara-Chevrolet package.

Scott Dixon finished third, taking the final place on the podium from fourth-placed Josef Newgarden in the final ten laps.

Starting 13th, championship contender Simon Pagenaud made strong progress through the field and closed the points gap on both Graham Rahal and team-mate Will Power, finishing inches behind Newgarden.

Colton Herta and Karun Chandhok took advantage of attrition among the front-runners to take sixth and seventh, Chandhok managing his best result of the season so far and Herta clawing his way up the order from a lowly starting position of 22nd.

Max Chilton and Gabby Chaves finished eighth and ninth, as Victor Guerin produced his best drive of the year to wrest 10th from Collin Pratchett.

Title challengers Will Power and Graham Rahal both retired from the race - Power sustained a transmission problem, while Graham Rahal hit the wall moments after his second pit-stop.

1. Ashley Cassidy / Cassidy Racing / Dallara-Chevrolet / 2h 04m 49.084s
2. Sergio Perez / Schmidt Peterson Motorsport / Dallara-Chevrolet / +5.091s
3. Scott Dixon / Chip Ganassi Racing / Dallara-Chevrolet / +8.609s
4. Josef Newgarden / Dale Coyne Racing / Dallara-Honda / +10.788s
5. Simon Pagenaud / Team Penske / Dallara-Honda / +10.884s
6. Colton Herta / Andretti Herta Autosport / Dallara-Mazda / +12.838s
7. Karun Chandhok / Schmidt Peterson Motorsport / Dallara-Chevrolet / +13.360s
8. Max Chilton / AJ Foyt Racing / Dallara-Mazda / +15.553s
9. Gabby Chaves / Dale Coyne Racing / Dallara-Honda / +20.625
10. Victor Guerin / Andretti Autosport / Dallara-Mazda / +1 Lap
11. Collin Pratchett / AJ Foyt Racing / Dallara-Mazda / +1 Lap
12. Thomas De Bock / Team Penske / Dallara-Honda / +1 Lap
13. Simona de Silvestro / KV Racing / Dallara-Honda / +1 Lap
14. Sebastien Bourdais / KV Racing / Dallara-Honda / +2 Laps
15. James Hinchcliffe / Team Penske / Dallara-Honda / +2 Laps
16. Marco Andretti / Andretti Autosport / Dallara-Mazda / +2 Laps
17. Felipe Massa / Andretti Autosport / Dallara-Mazda / +5 Laps
18. Will Power / Team Penske / Dallara-Honda / Transmission
19. Raffaele Marciello / Cassidy Racing / Dallara-Chevrolet / Engine
20. Ryan Hunter-Reay / Chip Ganassi Racing / Dallara-Chevrolet / Transmission
21. Graham Rahal / Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing / Dallara-Chevrolet / Accident
22. Carlos Munoz / Chip Ganassi Racing / Dallara-Chevrolet / Transmission
23. Ryan Briscoe / Ed Carpenter Racing / Dallara-Honda / Transmission
24. Lance Stroll / Chip Ganassi Racing / Dallara-Chevrolet / Transmission
25. Esteban Guerrieri / Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing / Dallara-Chevrolet / Engine
26. Ed Carpenter / Ed Carpenter Racing / Dallara-Honda / Transmission

FL. Raffaele Marciello - 28.917s

Updated Standings

Note: The second wave of engine upgrades are now available to purchase.

Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Andretti will immediately upgrade their Mazda engine.
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

Cassidy Racing will buy the second Chevy upgrade.
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
SeedStriker

Post by SeedStriker »

Rahal Letterman Lanigan will also upgrade the Chevy
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

AJ Foyt shall purchase the second Mazda engine upgrade.
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

Penske will purchase the second Honda upgrade.
Klon, on Alt-F1 wrote: I like to think it's more poker than gambling, though.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

The Mayor on Air Podcast wrote:Hinch: Hey, what's up ladies and gents, you're listening to the Mayor on Air podcast! I'm the Mayor of Hinchtown, James Hinchcliffe, and I'm joined by a very special guest here at the Texas Motor Speedway! He was new to the Airbnb IndyCar Series this year, at the ripe old age of 37...
Felipe Massa: I'm 38 now!
Hinch: But you were 37 when you did your first Indy race, yeah?
FM: Uh...oh yeah, I think so!
Hinch: Whatever, you're an old man! If you hadn't guessed, it's Felipe Massa! Thanks for joining me, Felipe!
FM: Hah, it's my pleasure James! Really good to be here.
Hinch: So let me ask you, of course you've done lots and lots of F1 in the past, and you decided to have a couple of years out - putting your feet up, probably on the Copacabana somewhere...what on earth made you think "yeah, I wanna do IndyCar"?
FM: It's kinda funny actually...so of course, I was enjoying not racing and just doing like, dad stuff, you know? And 2016, I watched the Indy 500 and something made me really want to do it - I had a deal in place, and then in 2017 Indycar just suddenly wasn't there...
Hinch: Oh yeah, dark times for us all...I had to share a sweaty prototype cockpit with Tony Kanaan...
FM: Hahaha, I've done that too! So yeah, for sure I had the...the desire to do the 500. When IndyCar came back, I spoke to Michael Andretti and we were doing this deal for Indy. But then he says that he cannot find a guy for the #26, and asked if I wanted to do the drive for the whole year...
Hinch: How'd your wife feel about that? Like, of course you've been doing the whole childcare thing, and suddenly you've got a way back into racing?
FM: Hah, she was okay about it being just Indy, but wasn't too happy when Michael asked me to do the year! We spoke and eventually she said "okay I support you", I think maybe the ovals are scary for her, but it's okay. But yeah, Michael tried to ask if Rubens Barrichello wanted to come back, but I think his wife was more firm than mine!
Hinch: So of course, you've had the whole oval tracks to get used to, the cars are different to what you're used to, but you've managed to do a really good job overall? What was on your mind when you first got in the current IndyCar?
FM: That I did a big mistake!
Hinch: Well, that's a great way to start...
FM: Haha, for sure! We went to do our first run at Phoenix, and running an oval is so strange for me at that time. We had Tony and Helio Castroneves helping out, telling me where to go and what to do, and after a few runs I felt more easy. It was good, they helped me a lot.
Hinch: Well, those two guys are complete pros, I'd love to have them on tap in testing! I mean, both of them have been racing ovals for so long I imagine that's all they think about at night...
FM: I don't wanna know what they think about at night! But yeah, for me, it was good to have them, although they started to argue about some setup ideas - Tony tried to get Helio to an...an arm-wrestle, but it didn't happen!
Hinch: I would not wanna be anywhere near TK in an arm-wrestle, lemme tell ya! He'd snap me in half...
FM: For sure, no!
Hinch: But has it surprised you that you've been the best Andretti driver this season? Like, in the points tables you're a bit ahead of Marco...
FM: Yes, but Marco's been not so good with luck, he drives well but he's not so lucky. And then the other cars, the guys are younger and newer than me, so I don't know! I think maybe our engine is a bit down on power compared to the rest, but Mazda are bringing better performance every time we race. So it's all okay, and even though I'm old I'm still learning a lot!
Hinch: So Michael's managed to teach an old dog new tricks?
FM: I'm not even THAT old, James! You sound like I'm an old man!
Hinch: That's true, that's true! *alarm bleeps*...okay, erm, that's kinda convenient, since we've got to go for a commercial break. Felipe, you have the honour of picking a song for us to play us out...what do you wanna go for?
FM: A song? Hmm...oh man there's so many!
Hinch: You didn't come prepared with one?
FM: I didn't even know I was gonna be doing this until you locked me in this room! But no, erm...let's Sergio Mendes, Mas Que Nada?
Hinch: Er, okay then! We're going for a break, and Felipe's playing us out with some Sergio Mendes! This is Mas Que Nada...
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

AutoFiction wrote:Melrose to revive American Dream?

After two frustrating seasons into a Formula One comeback, rumours are swirling around that superstar Daniel Melrose is looking at returning to the United States to run in the Indianapolis 500. The 34-year old Australian has previously raced at the hallowed Speedway in the AutoReject World Series, but has never raced in the Memorial Day classic.

It's believed that the potential ride has stemmed from connections with the Cassidy family, as Dave Cassidy is the current teammate of Melrose at Ferrari. Dave's father Brendon is interested in running the superstar next year, either as a third car for Indianapolis or as part of the Underhill Motorsports program, which also has close ties with the Cassidy clan. While neither Melrose or Cassidy were available for comment, confirmation of any potential ride is expected before the end of the year.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

2019 Airbnb Indycar Series - Round 15 - ABC Supply 500 - Pocono Raceway, Long Pond, Pennsylvania

Qualifying

Race

racer.com wrote:They don’t call it the Tricky Triangle for nothing. Placed with an idyllic backdrop of woodland, valleys and mountains, the Pocono Raceway played host to the 15th round of the 2019 Airbnb IndyCar Series, the ABC Supply 500.

Like many races here, Pocono offered as much of a psychological challenge as a physical one, and the IndyCar teams were looking to outwit their rivals on the strategic battlefield. With arguably the sharpest minds in the paddock, Team Penske were on hand to try something a little different…and it worked.

As the race began, the Penske of Thomas de Bock got the jump on polesitter Ashley Cassidy at the start of the race with an excellent start, thrusting his Honda-powered Dallara into an early lead, stamping his mark on the race first.

After things had started to settle, Carlos Munoz caught up to de Bock - instigating a thrilling battle between the Ganassi and Penske teams – while Cassidy lurked behind the two leaders before pitting early, attempting to wrest the undercut advantage over the pair.

On her return to the circuit, Cassidy immediately started to track at the front-running pace, and was once again with Munoz after the Colombian finished his first stop. Their battle lasted almost the entire race, swapping between each other throughout.

De Bock and Penske did something different. Instead of short-stopping and banking on cautions, Penske called the former ARWS champion in to fit black Firestones and return to the track full to the brim with Sunoco fuel. Although this threw the Belgian well down the order, Penske knew he’d have track position by the end of the race. They were right.

With fifty laps left to run, Munoz and Cassidy’s teamsboth took notice of De Bock’s strategy and attempted long-runs on their final stints. Again, they were fused together at the pit exit line, and had to continue fighting for a while longer.

By this point de Bock had regained his advantage, but winding up for a move behind him was the bright yellow DHL Ganassi of Ryan Hunter-Reay – already a winner this year in the Honda Indy Toronto round.

Hunter-Reay huffed and puffed, but could not break de Bock’s measured performance. Taking time to adapt to IndyCar, the Belgian finally cracked it this weekend, and swept to a well-earned victory at the Pocono Raceway. Hunter-Reay followed the Hydroxycut-sponsored Penske home just 0.7 seconds behind, as Lance Stroll rounded out the top three.

There were raptures at Schmidt-Peterson, as the affable Karun Chandhok managed his best result of the year with fourth place after a series of struggles with the team. SPM was another purveyor of the long-stop strategy, and the #7 finished over ten seconds ahead of Ashley Cassidy, who’d best Munoz in the final five laps.

The championship battle offered an interesting dynamic, as Will Power extended his advantage at the top of the standings to 24 points following a poor round for Graham Rahal and Simon Pagenaud. Rahal had struggled with setup all weekend, while Pagenaud pitted with damage sustained from rolling up too high at Turn 3.

Updated Standings
Ataxia
Not Important

Re: 2019 Airbnb IndyCar Series - R15: A TRIANGLE

Post by Ataxia »

The Mayor on Air Podcast wrote:Hinch: Oh look at that, we're live! Hello from Pocono everyone, and welcome to the Mayor on Air podcast with me, James Hinchcliffe! As always, I've been begging all the other drivers on the grid to come and join me on the podcasts, and this week we've got two guests, including our most recent race winner and…some other guy who just turned up, who we’ll talk to in a minute.
Our first guest absolutely smashed it at Texas, and so she needs no introductions, we've got Ashley Cassidy on the show. Hi Ashley!
Ashley Cassidy: Hello, Hinch! It's a pleasure to be with you tonight.
Hinch: Pleasure to have you with us! So, tomorrow, we all get to go around and tackle Pocono, the tricky triangle! You excited? Think you've got some things you can carry over from Texas?
AC: Yeah, I do, really looking forward to racing at Pocono, always a challenge! The team has recently been working on getting the new upgrade package from Chevy, which I am sure will help us.
Hinch: Oh yeah, Pocono can be challenging alright, DEFINITELY have to clench a little bit every time I'm taking Turn 3!
Conor Daly: You always have to clench…
Hinch: And there’s our other guest, ladies and gentlemen. I dunno, we lift-shared here, and he’s followed me into the booth, it’s Conor Daly!
CD: You never sound like you’re pleased to see me, bro…
Hinch: Dude, we literally drove all the way here together!
CD: And you put terrible music on!
Hinch: We’ll throw it back over to Ash for the moment, and I'd just like to ask you about the "transition" years between 2016 and this year - you were over on the "dark side" in RICS, what did you get up to when we didn't have any Indy?
AC: I did a few races in IMSA – so that was quite good and I managed to win a few GT wins alongside Chevrolet. That being said, it just wasn't the same without Indy in my life, so I’m really happy that it finally came back!
Hinch: When you decided to come back, did you ever consider another team, or did you not fancy having awkward conversations over dinner with your family?
AC: I think if I ever did leave Cassidy, I would be very hated at dinner…
Hinch: Hahaha, definitely! Is it difficult having your dad managing you in the team, or does he tend to leave you to get on with it?
AC: It isn't, but it can sometimes clash with my teammates at times if they think I’m getting better treatment…
Hinch: That's one thing I wanted to ask you - you've got Raffaele as a team-mate, who's got a load of GP2 and F1 experience, but he's used to racing in Europe and stuff. How's he adapting to the whole North American arena?
AC: Hah, interesting question! Marciello is having a hard time on longer ovals like Indy, but is having a much easier time from 1.5-2 mi ovals. He seems to have a really hard time with unusual oval shapes too, and according to some simulations, he is having a hard time at Pocono.
Hinch: But you know, there's a big Italian contingent in the North East, has he been useful in finding the best restaurants around Pocono?
AC: Yes, although I’m not that fond of Italian cuisine myself! That's more of an interest for my older brother…
Hinch: Ah, shame! I should've asked Lello if I'd known...every time we're in Toronto, I get like 500 WhatsApps from Newgarden asking me for poutine places, like we're not pro race drivers...
CD: Honestly, the guy eats like a horse!
Hinch: Anyway, we're coming up to the break, so over to you Ashley...fancy picking a song to play us out into the commercials?
AC: No thanks, I think your music tastes are probably a bit more refined than mine!
CD: HAH, yeah right!
Hinch: Fine, Conor, YOU can pick the next song…
CD: I’ve been waiting for years to hear you say that! I’m gonna go for Incubus - A Kiss To Send Us Off!
Hinch: Hah, nice segue – I’m not kissing you though! This is Incubus with A Kiss To Send Us Off!
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 2019 Airbnb IndyCar Series - Indy 500 Practice 1/2/3/4

Post by Klon »

ESPN wrote:Michael Andretti Unhappy with Mazda

According to sources within Andretti Autosport, team owner Michael Andretti is highly unhappy with his engine supplier Mazda. Even after multiple engine upgrades, the team continues its disappointing season, going without any race victories in 2019. Andretti, according to the inside source, feels that this is the consequence of the Mazda engine being highly uncompetitive.

Andretti Autosport signed a three-year deal with Mazda after Chevrolet, the desired engine supplier for Andretti, was unwilling to enter negotations for the rebirth of the IndyCar Series. With their self-perception of title contenders in ruins for 2018 and possibly beyond, morale at the team is at "historical lows", which has the team looking for ways to exit their engine contract.

When asked by ESPN about those rumours, John Doonan, director of motorsports for Mazda North American Operations, merely commented that he and Mazda are "very pleased to work with a team of such historical significance" as Andretti. He went on to note that, as their contract with the team has no exit clause, that Andretti is not switching engine suppliers for the forseeable future.
TomWazzleshaw

Re: 2019 Airbnb IndyCar Series - R15: A TRIANGLE

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

AutoFiction wrote:Juncos Racing to buy embattled KV?

After a difficult season in the revived IndyCar Series, KV Racing may be about to turn the corner with Indy Lights outfit Juncos Racing looking to purchase the struggling squad. After missing out on an Indy 500 entry, Riccardo Juncos has apparently secured the necessary funding to enter the series full-time in 2020 using one or both KV Racing entries. Current Juncos driver Facu Regalia with sponsor NRG is expected to feature heavily in their plans

KV Racing and Juncos Racing were both unavailable for comment, but an announcement is expected to be made before the season finale at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.
Ataxia
Not Important

Re: 2019 Airbnb IndyCar Series - R16: WINE COUNTRY

Post by Ataxia »

2019 Airbnb Indycar Series - Round 16 - Gallo Family Vineyards Grand Prix of Sonoma - Sonoma Raceway, Sears Point, California

Qualifying

Race

autosport.com wrote:Hunter-Reay beats Munoz to Sonoma win

Ryan Hunter-Reay took his second IndyCar Series victory of 2019, beating Carlos Munoz at Sonoma to thrust himself squarely into the title race.

Hunter-Reay picked up the lead after the first round of pitstops, jumping leader Scott Dixon who suffered a lengthy wait as the fuel hose got stuck in the Kiwi's Ganassi-run Dallara-Chevrolet.

Three-stopping, Hunter-Reay lost the lead to team-mate Munoz after his second stop as the Colombian executed a two-stop strategy.

Munoz had track position after Hunter-Reay made his third stop, but the American was quicker on the red-marked soft tyres and proceeded to reel his Ganassi stablemate in.

With ten laps to go, Hunter-Reay breezed past Munoz up the hill to grab the lead, holding out with relative ease to double his wins tally for 2019, and now finds himself tied on points with Will Power.

Munoz retained second, seven seconds ahead of title protagonist Simon Pagenaud, whose third place brings him three points from co-championship leader Will Power going into the season finale at Laguna Seca.

Marco Andretti managed a season-best fourth place ahead of James Hinchcliffe, who stole past Karun Chandhok in the closing laps.

Dixon's pit woes and an off-track excursion left him having to settle for seventh, ahead of Conor Daly and Josef Newgarden.

Although Power led off the line at the opening of the race, an engine failure left the Australian with a less comfortable advantage over Pagenaud and Graham Rahal, who is 17 points off the championship lead.

Ataxia
Not Important

Re: 2019 Airbnb IndyCar Series - R17: THE FINALE

Post by Ataxia »

2019 Airbnb Indycar Series - Round 17 - Mazda SKYACTIV Grand Prix of California - Laguna Seca, Monterey, California

Qualifying

Race Report

autosport.com wrote:Hunter-Reay wins second IndyCar title in thrilling Laguna Seca finale

Ryan Hunter-Reay became the 2019 Airbnb IndyCar Series champion after winning a tense encounter at Laguna Seca, as title rival Will Power was taken out by a backmarker.

Hunter-Reay kept pace with Power for the majority of the season finale, but Power maintained a good advantage over the American and kept a steady four-second advantage over his rival.

Power led the majority of the race having capitalised on his pole position, although the Hunter-Reay enjoyed a pair of quicker pitstops to eat into the 2014 champion's deficit by half-distance.

However, Power started to increase his advantage in the second half of the race, before encountering the lapped Victor Guerin. Closing up on the Andretti before the famed Corkscrew, Guerin forced Power off the road and into the barrier.

Hunter-Reay was able to capitalise, keeping a steady gap over second-placed Simon Pagenaud to clinch the 2019 title after a strong second half of the season.

Pagenaud clinched second in the standings, crossing the line nine seconds behind Hunter-Reay having struggled to battle the other champions-elect during the early stages of the race.

Carlos Munoz finished a good year with Ganassi to come home third 11 seconds ahead of Foyt's Collin Pratchett, with Colton Herta a further nine seconds behind in Andretti's Dallara-Mazda.

Raffaele Marciello battled with Herta towards the end, but the Cassidy driver had to concede defeat and claimed seventh ahead of Penske's Thomas de Bock.

Scott Dixon was the third Ganassi driver in the top ten, beating both Dale Coyne racers Josef Newgarden and RC Enerson to eighth.

Championship outsider Graham Rahal ran strongly in the top three, but his hopes of a maiden title were dashed after his car sustained a gearbox issue.

FINAL STANDINGS

Ladies and gents, your champion...:

pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

[quote=“RejectSport”]
Chandhok and Perez for the block?

After a tough season for the Schmidt-Peterson Mororsports outfit, and amidst growing disarisfaction between team and drivers, sources close to the team believe that all parties will go their separate ways now the season has drawn to a close. It is not know what it is in store for the beleaguered outfit, with rumours ranging from the pessimistic to the wild.

SPM declines to comment. [/quote]
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Autosport wrote:Nicholas Steele interested in Indycar drive for 2020

ARWS and Formula E driver Nicolas Steele expressed interest in a seat for Indycar. "As much as I like Formula E's unique setup I still have the skills to race in top-tier motorsports. After having a long chat with my wife Anna moving back to the states would be a nice change of pace.

Steele is a veteran of the AutoReject World Racing Series until 2018, then Blokkmonsta Motorsport pushed him out of a race seat. He has spent 2019 in the inaugural season of Formula E, and finished in 17th place after doing 6 races for the eRUF team.
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?