Pause the ASMF Canon
No votes

Total votes: 19

Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

The Future of the ASMF, Part II

Post by Klon »

After previous debate, the time for voting has arrived. It is clear that there are two options that are currently being considered by our collective

a) We end the ASMF canon with a bang and not with a whisper. The ASMF itself would be dissolved, resulting in those forum games and those in the 18MDMF being put back into one PMMF forum with the The "Flat Out, Flat Broke" Memorial Forum serving as a reminder of what was a glorious time. Individual series can choose whether to continue, continue and follow canon-esque rules (in voluntarily agreement with other series) or disband.

b) The ASMF canon is cut down to essential series only. Obviously, the precise nature of these essential series would need to be determined separately, but obviously it would involve both Alt-F1 and ARWS as well as maybe one feeder series each along with series which are run reliably and whom's controlling user would be unlikely/unable to provide their manpower for the main series (e.g. Rolex GT). Management of the canon is given to an individual who will check whether there is a situation in which new series can be added to the canon without causing issues. This option requires volunteers for ARWS (right now) and Alt-F1 (either right now or for 2021) as well as potential canon overseer!

c) We temporarily "freeze" the canon, stopping events from progressing beyond a certain in-game time (logical conclusion is the end of 2020, as some series have already concluded this season) with quicksim finishing all that is needed up to that time, and focus our efforts afterwards on promoting the site through main site content, creating new content to fix the problem of an insufficient userbase. I have included this option in the poll because it was commonly suggested, but I strongly advise against picking it, as there is no likelihood of improving the situation sufficiently fast enough and completely restarting the momentum of a forum game after what could be real-life years may prove impossible.

The vote is set to run for three days, so we will know by March where you want to go with this.
Pinkd56
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The Future of the ASMF, Part II

Post by Pinkd56 »

What happens to the wiki in each of these?
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Pinkd56 wrote:What happens to the wiki in each of these?

It would either a) stay as a memorial with potential to be a completed history one day, b) be kept as usual as the canon continues and c) same as a) with the chance of being continued. Of course that depends on the hosting costs, but if I understood biscione correctly, we are good on that front for a little while longer.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Okay, the majority has clearly spoken and you want a concise canon instead of ending it outright. So far so good, but now it's time for you to back your talk up.

We now need the following:
- A volunteer to decide on the future nature of the canon, what series are and what series are not canon
- Someone to run ARWS and someone to run Alt-F1
- Suggestions on which series are essential

As far as the latter part is concerned, I propose that the 2020 canon be reduced to the following five series: ARWS (no user in control), Alt-F1 (no user in control, I can finish the season if need be), AR 3.5 (TCBY), F2 (miguel98) and Rolex GT (RealRacingRoots).

Discussion and volunteering may now begin.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Will we still be having the historic series? SInce so far those are the ones active right now.
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Pinkd56
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pinkd56 »

If nobody more suitable comes forward - I'll be willing to take the canon overseer role. Experience? I do a lot of stuff on the wiki and I doubt I'll start running any series any time soon.
Gertrand Bachot

Post by Gertrand Bachot »

I guess I wouldn't mind taking on either ARWS or Alt-F1.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

I've got the time necessary to run a series, and I'd run ARWS if you want me to. I still need to familiarize myself with editing Grand Prix 2, so it would be a kinda steep learning curve for me, but I'm confident I could handle it.

I have experience at running a series from my 1970s/80s non-canon F1. However, I lack experience with Grand Prix 2.

In case a more suitable manager for ARWS is found, I'd be willing to take over a third-tier canon feeder series.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

Klon wrote:Okay, the majority has clearly spoken and you want a concise canon instead of ending it outright. So far so good, but now it's time for you to back your talk up.

We now need the following:
- A volunteer to decide on the future nature of the canon, what series are and what series are not canon
- Someone to run ARWS and someone to run Alt-F1
- Suggestions on which series are essential

As far as the latter part is concerned, I propose that the 2020 canon be reduced to the following five series: ARWS (no user in control), Alt-F1 (no user in control, I can finish the season if need be), AR 3.5 (TCBY), F2 (miguel98) and Rolex GT (RealRacingRoots).

Discussion and volunteering may now begin.

I'd put it this way: the five series you mentioned have absolute priority, but those who have already been completed (NAF4, SAF4) are thought to be in the same universe. Same for any already-started 2020 series (European F3?), if the owner is willing to bring their seasons to an end, be it by quicksimming them. If not, we assume they "happened", even if the results are unknown. From 2021 onwards, strict focus on the "main 5".

As for Alt-F1, it would probably be best for everyone if you were to finish at least this season - even without special race reports, live streams or any other gimmicks, simply running the races or even quicksimming them would be enough.

But the most important thing right now is finding a new owner for ARWS. Does anyone know the state of the art regarding what had already been prepared by Aerond for the current season?

Historical series can go on at their own pace, as they wish. But I'd rather see any available manpower invested into the "main 5".
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

I can be a candidate ti run ARWS because I have experience with Grand Prix 2 thanks to my running of NAF4, though I may run short of free time once I get back to work, whenever I get back in.

Does anyone have the 2019 or 2020 ARWS assets?

If I run it, I may streamline a few things, such as having a few tests throughout the season, rather than have dozens of small tests, which the ARWS would pay for of course. I also lack a way to stream the races as Aerond did, so be forewarned.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

novitopoli wrote:I'd put it this way: the five series you mentioned have absolute priority, but those who have already been completed (NAF4, SAF4) are thought to be in the same universe. Same for any already-started 2020 series (European F3?), if the owner is willing to bring their seasons to an end, be it by quicksimming them. If not, we assume they "happened", even if the results are unknown. From 2021 onwards, strict focus on the "main 5".

Yeah, that's what I'd agree with, obviously those series don't need to disappear at all, even once they are done being simulated. They just become backstory bits for future rookies etc.

As pinkd56 is the only volunteer so far to be the canon manager, he will probably earn the title by default. I, as the apparent spokesman for this process, will consult with him before making it official, but other volunteers are still welcome.

The final decision on which of the kind volunteers will be asked to run ARWS will be left with the new canon manager.

Regarding Alt-F1, expect an announcement within the next two-three weeks.
Pilot

Post by Pilot »

This is a late response, but if any help is needed I’d love to help.
Biscione wrote:Can you stop being such a snowflake for five minutes?
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Klon wrote:
novitopoli wrote:I'd put it this way: the five series you mentioned have absolute priority, but those who have already been completed (NAF4, SAF4) are thought to be in the same universe. Same for any already-started 2020 series (European F3?), if the owner is willing to bring their seasons to an end, be it by quicksimming them. If not, we assume they "happened", even if the results are unknown. From 2021 onwards, strict focus on the "main 5".

Yeah, that's what I'd agree with, obviously those series don't need to disappear at all, even once they are done being simulated. They just become backstory bits for future rookies etc.

As pinkd56 is the only volunteer so far to be the canon manager, he will probably earn the title by default. I, as the apparent spokesman for this process, will consult with him before making it official, but other volunteers are still welcome.

The final decision on which of the kind volunteers will be asked to run ARWS will be left with the new canon manager.

Regarding Alt-F1, expect an announcement within the next two-three weeks.

I do agree with streamlining the series to the main 5, and any chatter about which series should stick around needs to be discussed sooner than later.
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

I’d go for A. As far as ARWS go i’d prefer to let it go and just remember the good times we had instead :)
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Swinging in to agree with Aerond here.

I understand you don't want to lose the hours of time spent here, but if you enjoyed taking part then it was time well spent.

If anyone was serious about breathing some life into this, they'd have done it by now. As it stands, you've got some interest but nobody really stepping forward.

I vote closing it off with one final, last hurrah. One big race. No survivors.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Gonzalez

Post by Gonzalez »

Whilst I do strongly disagree that this who canon would be ended, I mainly would suggest that it instead go into Semi-Hiatus. Based on the minimal interest here, I'd say ARWS, the main flagship of the AR Canon would continue as an operating series whilst some series such as those in the AR Racing Ladder and Rival Series F1 could continue as Storyline only with potentially RNG or simply a range of storylines (Brief or Full) written by anyone willingly of doing so at it's content etc, would decide the outcome which could help support the only-operating ARWS.

There may have been other unknown series and other events in the canon that have been regarded as mention-only and I currently have a mind in place of a canon rider who would potential race in Grand Prix Motorcycling Racing which i've done in my Wiki User page.

This may only be a last straw of trying to preserve the future of the canon so I can only hope after that this canon would not die completely, even with one man standing.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Gonzalez wrote: Based on the minimal interest here, I'd say ARWS, the main flagship of the AR Canon would continue as an operating series whilst some series such as those in the AR Racing Ladder and Rival Series F1 could continue as Storyline only with potentially RNG or simply a range of storylines (Brief or Full) written by anyone willingly of doing so at it's content etc, would decide the outcome which could help support the only-operating ARWS.This may only be a last straw of trying to preserve the future of the canon so I can only hope after that this canon would not die completely, even with one man standing.

While I generally support this stance, I share the concern of Ataxia that there really does not appear to be the enthusiasm to run these series, and therefore will go into a natural hibernation period. I hope one day AWRS et al. will wake from its slumber, but I am not holding my breath.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

I'm with the Fernando Alonso wax sculpture and Hannibal Buress on this one. Let's nuke this sucker from orbit. :glasses:
#FreeGonzo
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

What Charlie Brown said. If we want to bring this to a close though, I agree that, if anything, we should have one last race to end it all for good.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Salamander wrote:What Charlie Brown said. If we want to bring this to a close though, I agree that, if anything, we should have one last race to end it all for good.

Should this race even happen, what will the race be? And how many drivers will be allowed into it?
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:
Salamander wrote:What Charlie Brown said. If we want to bring this to a close though, I agree that, if anything, we should have one last race to end it all for good.

Should this race even happen, what will the race be? And how many drivers will be allowed into it?

Open entries up to everyone, massive pre-qualifying, venue chosen by community vote?

Just a few ideas, but I guess we shouldn't get into specifics until there's actually a(nother) consensus.
#FreeGonzo
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:

Targa Florio. All the drivers anyone can think of. All equipped with faithfully recreated Mercedes W125 cars.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Simtek wrote:
CaptainGetz12 wrote:

Open entries up to everyone, massive pre-qualifying, venue chosen by community vote?

Just a few ideas, but I guess we shouldn't get into specifics until there's actually a(nother) consensus.

Walter Hayes Trophy style. 100+ entrants. Lots of heat races. Progression race. Last Chance race. Semi Finals. And then, the Grand Final.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

And the winner becomes the Grand Canon Champion?
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Reject_Dom wrote:And the winner becomes the Grand Canon Champion?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"