F1 1986 - Season Over - Vote for ROTY!

The place for non-canon series, including all series that contain minimal or no references at all to the RWRS universe
Gertrand Bachot

1986 Gran Premio de Mexico

Post by Gertrand Bachot »

Qualifying
Qualifying saw the first non-Williams pole since Detroit, with Ayrton Senna putting his McLaren MP4-2C on pole for the first time since the San Marino Grand Prix at Imola. The all-dominant FW10s lined up 2nd and 3rd, Prost ahead of Mansell, with Thierry Boutsen managing to put his Brabham BT55 into 4th place. The 2 Ferraris were 5th and 6th, Berger ahead of Alboreto. As Alan Jones was banned from this race and the Benetton team failed to nominate the replacement, only one car failed to make the grid today, that being Satoru Nakajima.

Race
At the start Boutsen and Alboreto got lightning getaways and ended up 1st and 2nd after the first corner. Further back René Arnoux moved suddenly in front of Alain Ferté, making his compatriot's AGS fly across the track, although Ferté was able to keep going. In the middle of the pack Derek Warwick and Elio de Angelis collided, with the British driver retiring and de Angelis rejoining at second-last place. Christian Danner got involved in an accident of his own, and ended up out as well, making this weekend an utter write-off for the Benetton team. Prost quickly passed Senna and soon after headed after Alboreto, passing him on Lap 8, before heading off towards Boutsen. After about 10 laps Prost caught up to the back of the Brabham, but to his credit Boutsen put in a valiant effort defending against the reigning world champion, managing to hold the lead for about half the race, until the first pitstop round, where Prost got ahead and after that there was nothing Belgian could do. Mansell used the speed of his Williams to get into second, where he would stay, as there was nothing stopping Prost, who clocked fastest lap after fastest lap. He would remain there until the end of the race, with Mansell in second, polesitter Senna in third, and Boutsen in fourth, his final result not doing his performance justice, and is arguably deserving of a podium. Alboreto came fifth, finally deciding that points are a thing now, and Johansson came 6th in the sister Brabham.

DOTR: Thierry Boutsen. A great performance that will surely put him on the talent map.
ROTR: Benetton. Jones being excluded and Danner retiring at the first corner on Lap 1 makes this weekend an utter failure.

Upgrades and stuff are open as usual.

Also I have a question: Would you like me to run South Africa and Australia at the recent pace of races (once a week) or would you prefer them to both be run next week? I'm just asking this because I have next week off school and I could use this time to finish 1986 and possibly start 1987 up. All answers would be appreciated.
FortiWinks

Re: 1986 Gran Premio de Mexico

Post by FortiWinks »

Gertrand Bachot wrote:Also I have a question: Would you like me to run South Africa and Australia at the recent pace of races (once a week) or would you prefer them to both be run next week? I'm just asking this because I have next week off school and I could use this time to finish 1986 and possibly start 1987 up. All answers would be appreciated.

I’m happy either way to be honest, once a week is great but if you feel like it getting the final two rounds up early would be good seeing as it’ll most likely be a smaller grid for South Africa but obviously it’s up to you mate! Really enjoying this series!
Knows two facts about ducks and both of them are wrong
Gertrand Bachot

Re: 1986 Gran Premio de Mexico

FortiWinks wrote:
Gertrand Bachot wrote:Also I have a question: Would you like me to run South Africa and Australia at the recent pace of races (once a week) or would you prefer them to both be run next week? I'm just asking this because I have next week off school and I could use this time to finish 1986 and possibly start 1987 up. All answers would be appreciated.

I’m happy either way to be honest, once a week is great but if you feel like it getting the final two rounds up early would be good seeing as it’ll most likely be a smaller grid for South Africa but obviously it’s up to you mate! Really enjoying this series!

Thank you for you kind words! It's good to see at least somebody is enjoying this. It's why I run it after all, to give enjoyment to other people, so thank you.

If nobody else has any objections then I may run South Africa on Sunday/Monday.
Iso Masa

Re: F1 1986 - Mexico

Post by Iso Masa »

There's a lot going around Zakspeed:
-We won't go to SA. Too much risk.

-Manufacturer: Zakspeed
Improvements
Engine Power: 0 Pts
Qualifying Mode: 0 Pts
Reliability: 3 Pts

-And three tokens on 1987 car, if we have money.

Looking forward to 1987!
Gertrand Bachot

1986 South African Grand Prix

Qualifying
With only 6 teams entering the South African Grand Prix, Williams took pole with Prost again, although Mansell was down in 5th, behind Alboreto, Berger, and Nannini, with Rosberg in 6th, Jones and Danner behind them, the 2 Osellas and then the 2 Minardis rounding the back of the grid.

Race
Prost got a good start and Mansell soon passed Berger and Nannini after Alboreto's engine expired early on. The only other notable event after that was Nannini spinning out of the race at the last corner and Mansell using that to pass Prost for the lead. So, at the end of an incredibly boring race, Mansell won, and subsequently won his first world championship, ahead of Prost in 2nd, Berger in 3rd, Danner in 4th, with Andrea de Cesaris in 5th, and Piercarlo Ghinzani in 6th. Despite winning his first championship, Mansell's celebrations were muted, as this was overshadowed by the farce of the race.

DOTR: Nigel Mansell winning his first championship.
ROTR: The race itself. It should never have happened.

Standings
Gertrand Bachot

Re: F1 1986 - Mexico

Iso Masa wrote:There's a lot going around Zakspeed:
-We won't go to SA. Too much risk.

-Manufacturer: Zakspeed
Improvements
Engine Power: 0 Pts
Qualifying Mode: 0 Pts
Reliability: 3 Pts

-And three tokens on 1987 car, if we have money.

Looking forward to 1987!

You have just about enough money to develop your 1987 car.

You get +100 Mechanical Grip, -1 Handling, and +100 Downforce for your 1987 car, for £1,500,000.
Gertrand Bachot

1986 Foster's Australian Grand Prix

I appreciate this race comes just a day after the previous one, but lets get this season done with, shall we?
Qualifying
Williams lock out the front row in the last race of the season, Mansell ahead of Prost, like they have done so many times this year. Senna & Berger take up the 2nd row, and the 2 Brabhams are 5th and 6th, Boutsen ahead of Johansson.

Race
This race was not particularly about the competition - rather, it was about simply getting to the line. The gruelling Adelaide Street Circuit's attrition beset the grid today, with engine failures, transmission failures and wheel problems throughout the field, as the tyre wear rate was incredibly high. Especially rejectful was Alan Jones, who spun out of what likely will be his final grand prix at his home race, and Bruno Giacomelli, who took out Didier Pironi while the Ligier was lapping him. In the end, Derek Warwick came home to take his 2nd win of the season, with Thierry Boutsen in 2nd, Nelson Piquet in 3rd, Mike Thackwell in 4th (:dance:), Michele Alboreto in 5th and Elio de Angelis in 6th. It was an exciting end to another exciting season in Formula One.

DOTR: Mike Thackwell for finishing 4th at what technically is his home race (ish).
ROTR: Alan Jones for being bad at his actual home race.

Final Standings

So, that's the end. Mansell and Williams win the championship. Prize money will be handed out, in the meantime I will dish out the prize money.

In the meantime, there is one final award that needs giving, the best of them all: the Reject of the Year award. Vote for your nominations (top three would be great, and some explanations would be neat as well) and I will announce the winner in the end-of-season review. I would also greatly appreciate any feedback on the series (positive or negative - as long as it is constructive) and any features that you liked/disliked and anything I should add in/take away/ So do those things if you could, and stay tuned for 1987!
FortiWinks

Re: F1 1986 - South Africa

Post by FortiWinks »

Great season Gertrand! Didier looks like he’s coming along nicely (damn Giacomelli! Where was Pironi running at the time?).

Knew that this would be a long term plan to rebuild Ligier but personally I’m quietly confident that we can jump a position or two next year.

Alboreto would be a strong candidate for Reject of the Year and so would Haas be.

Congrats to Mansell on winning his first WDC and I suspect it’ll be the first of many! Can’t wait to see how this Ayrton Senna develops, seems like he’s got great potential at McLaren.

Looking forward to ‘87!
Knows two facts about ducks and both of them are wrong
Gertrand Bachot

1986 End of Season Review

Autosport wrote:1986 Formula One World Championship Review
This season was all about the Williams team, as they took both championships in style. They were almost unbeatable, but at the other parts of the grid there were stars, surprises, and rejects galore, as Autosport presents their review of the 1986 Formula One World Championship.

Canon Williams Honda Team - Honda (1st, 155 points)
1. Alain Prost (2nd, 67 points)
2. Nigel Mansell (1st, 88 points)

When Frank Williams had his paralysing car accident at the beginning of March, Williams were going to struggle without their eponymous team principle. But, to his credit, Patrick Head managed to bring the team together and with Frank Dernie's latest masterpiece, the FW11, coupled with the excellent Honda RA166E engine and a superb lineup of reigning world champion Alain Prost, poached from McLaren, and Nigel Mansell, the team were on for a winner. They weren't initially the quickest, and suffered some reliability issues early on, but they stuck to developing the FW11, and became the dominant team. Their dominance increased during the second half of the year, as other teams simply gave up trying to compete with them, and they finished the season with 155 points, the most anyone has ever scored in F1 history.

Prost, as expected, drove smoothly and calmly for most of the season, although he did look like he was being genuinely outpaced by his teammate, but with the only blot on his copybook being a poor (by his standards) race in Detroit where he only finished 8th. Mansell meanwhile was the star of the season, winning 6 races, and finishing on the podium in every race from Montreal all the way to Kyalami, on the way to his first world championship. Prost was actually ahead of the Brit at the Austrian Grand Prix, but being taken out by Bruno Giacomelli at Spielberg and an engine failure at Monza put an end to the Frenchman's title defence.

It looks likely that Williams will continue their winning performance in 1987, as they have a good base on which to build on, and it is looking likely that Mansell, Prost and Honda will stay on. Nevertheless, it will be difficult to unsettle Williams from the top of the table in the near future.

1986 Prost Rating: 9.5/10
1986 Mansell Rating: 10/10
1986 Team Rating: 10/10
1987 WCC Prediction: 1st

Marlboro McLaren International - TAG (2nd, 71.5 points)
5. Ayrton Senna (3rd, 46.5 points)
6. Derek Warwick (5th, 25 points)

McLaren were dealt a hammer blow in the off-season when it was announced their star driver Alain Prost had defected to the Williams team in 1986. Nevertheless, team principal Ron Dennis snatched up-and-coming Brazilian star Ayrton Senna from underneath the Lotus team's noses, and signing Briton Derek Warwick to replace the retiring Niki Lauda, and he remained bullish about the team's chances of winning their third consecutive constructor's championship. However, the team were using what was essentially a three year-old chassis, and their TAG engine was falling behind the competition. They only won 2 races this season, and finished a distant second in the constructor's championship, clearly left behind by Williams' dominance.

Their drivers did manage to prove themselves. Senna was probably one of the drivers of the season, and was incredibly consistent and applied, managing to finish on the podium 8 times. Warwick was also fast, winning at Jerez and Adelaide, but he bore the brunt of the team's unreliability issues this year. The team were fast initially, managing to keep up with Williams, and Senna managed to take 2 poles early on. However, the team went into a mid-season slump and only finished in the points twice in the races from Spa to Hockenheim. The team did manage to become best of the rest towards the end of the season, and Senna put in a sterling performance at
Monza, where he led over half of the race and seriously took the fight towards the faster Williams of Mansell, but unfortunately couldn't win, as the Williams was simply too good, and the Brazilian also managed to break Williams' qualifying stronghold with a pole position at the Mexican Grand Prix, the first race at the country since the farcical 1970 event.

The team will retain both of their drivers going into 1987, however they are facing a bit of a crossroads, with the TAG engine project looking like it will reach the end of its tenure. They are likely going to need a major breakthrough to beat Williams, and, at the minute, that looks unlikely to happen.

1986 Senna Rating: 9/10
1986 Warwick Rating: 8/10
1986 Team Rating: 8/10
1987 WCC Prediction: 2nd

Benetton Formula Ltd - BMW (3rd, 36 points)
19. Alan Jones (11th, 13 points)
20. Christian Danner (6th, 23 points)

The Benetton family bought out the Toleman team in the off-season, and managed to provide the cash-injection that the team needed. They signed a semi-works BMW deal which gave them the most powerful engine on the grid, and the B186 was a neat and tidy chassis. They managed to perform reasonably well, and finished 3rd in the championship.

Their driver choice however, left much to be desired. The team signed 1980 world champion Alan Jones, who was almost 40 years old and hadn't raced full-time since 1981, and Christian Danner, the 1985 European F3000 champion. Jones managed 2 podiums at Spa and Paul Ricard (both predominantly power circuits), but he made several foolish errors including spinning out of the race at Monza after clumsily taking Gerhard Berger out at the start (despite having set fastest lap beforehand), crashing with Thierry Boutsen at Estoril and subsequently earning himself a race ban at Mexico, breaking his gearbox at Kyalami when he was guaranteed a points position, and again spinning out, this time at his home race at Adelaide. Danner meanwhile started off well, scoring 3 podiums (including 2 2nd places), but fell off in performance and finished almost every race in the 2nd half of the season outside of the points.

Benetton could have a bright future ahead of them - they are well financed, and have a good team of personnel behind them. However, in order to achieve anything in 1987, they need to get better drivers. Mercifully they haven't signed Jones or Danner for 1987, and as Jones has announced his retirement and Danner is reported as lining himself up for a Zakspeed drive, so they may be able to save themselves and do better in 1987.

1986 Jones Rating: 3.5/10
1986 Danner Rating: 5/10
1986 Team Rating: 6/10
1987 WCC Prediction: 5th

Motor Racing Developments - BMW (4th, 35 points)
7. Stefan Johansson (9th, 17 points)
8. Thierry Boutsen (7th, 18 points)

Bernie Ecclestone's Brabham team went into 1986 on a bit of a down streak after a poor 1985 and losing their star driver Nelson Piquet to Lotus. However, they signed Stefan Johansson from Ferrari and Thierry Boutsen from Arrows. The two proved to be a dependable pair, scoring numerous points to finish 4th in the constructors, but the team failed to win a race for the first time since 1979.

The 2 drivers both scored 2 podiums each, Boutsen at Paul Ricard and Adelaide and Johansson at Imola and Montreal. However, the best performance of the Brabham season came at Mexico, where Boutsen stormed into the lead with a great start and led for several laps until the dominant Williams cars overtook him and he finished 4th. They are both good drivers and are definitely deserving of a seat next year

Brabham have actually somewhat improved this year, and could climb further up the field next year; that of course depends on them designing a good chassis, and getting the right team together. But if they do that, they might just get closer to the front of the field and start winning championships again.

1986 Boutsen Rating: 9/10
1986 Johansson Rating: 8/10
1986 Team Rating: 8/10
1987 WCC Prediction: 4th

b]Scuderia Ferrari SpA SEFAC (5th, 33 points)[/b]
27. Michele Alboreto (14th, 6 points)
28. Gerhard Berger (4th, 27 points)

The two Ferrari cars were very much at odds with one another for most of the season. In one car, you had Austrian Gerhard Berger, who managed 4 podiums in his first season with the team (indeed his first for a front-running team), including his first career victory at Spa-Francorchamps, and managed to finish 4th in the championship.

In the other car however, you had Michele Alboreto. Last year, Alboreto was fighting for the championship and only lost out to Alain Prost due to late-season unreliability. This year however, he was a distant man from the figure he was 12 months previously, being off the pace in the F1/86 compared to Berger and he only managed to get himself on the scoreboard at the Portuguese Grand Prix, the 14th race of the season. His best finishes were a trio of 5ths at the end of the season, and he scored less than a quarter of his teammate's points. Ferrari could easily have finished 3rd had Michele driven like he did last year.

Needless to say, Ferrari could, again, be in a position to be very competitive in 1987. They have good expertise, lots of cash, and a good driver in Gerhard Berger. However, they probably need to get another driver into their car for next year, as Alboreto's performance this season has certainly not warranted his contract being renewed with the Scuderia. We just need to wait and see precisely what happens.

1986 Berger Rating: 8/10
1986 Alboreto Rating: 2/10
1986 Team Rating: 7/10
1987 WCC Prediction: 3rd

Barclay Arrows - Alfa Romeo (6th, 29 points)

17. Keke Rosberg (12th, 13 points)
18. Alessandro Nannini (10th, 16 points)

Arrows took major gambles coming into 1986. They opted to become Alfa Romeo's works team, recieving a supply of their thirsty 890T engines, signed a tyre contract with Pirelli, and signed a lineup of 1982 World Champion Keke Rosberg, and rookie Alessandro Nannini. It was a series of major risk taking, and from the face of their results, having their best season so far in F1, it seems to have payed off.

From their drivers, Rosberg came in from Williams, and the Finn managed to score points consistently (when he finished, that is) and delivered his side of the goods. In the other side of the team, there was rookie Nannini. And outside of the McLaren and Williams drivers, and Berger, Nannini was probably the find of the season, managing to take his Arrows to 3 pole positions and a surprise victory in Detroit. Nannini is clearly one to watch, and possibly a future world champion in the making, alongside the likes of Senna. The pair did suffer with unreliability issues, and the Pirelli tyres were definitely superior in qualifying than in races, but they were definitely strong this season.

Arrows will have to try and maintain their momentum going into 1987, but with a strong lineup, and with rumours that Alfa Romeo are debuting their new flat-4 engine next season, which will probably be lighter and more economical than the 890T (although it was the main beneficiary of refuelling being reintroduced this year), they could be more formidable next year. We just have to see what happens.

1986 Rosberg Rating: 8/10
1986 Nannini Rating: 9/10
1986 Team Rating: 8.5/10
1987 WCC Prediction: 7th

John Player Special Team Lotus - Ford (7th, 27 points)

11. Nelson Piquet (8th, 17.5 points)
12. Elio de Angelis (13th, 9.5 points)

Lotus, after losing star driver Ayrton Senna to McLaren, decided to retaliate by signing double world champion Nelson Piquet from Brabham, and keeping Elio de Angelis. They also agreed to a works deal with Ford, having use of the new Cosworth GBA V6 turbo engine, and produced the 98T, a conservative and tidy chassis design. Their season was consistent and conservative, managing to consistently score points (when they finished), but only finished the season with 2 podiums, and both the 98T and the GBA suffered from a lack of development as the year progressed. They then ended up a disappointing 7th in the championship.

From their driver lineup, Piquet was consistent and a dependable hand throughout the course of the season - managing a 5 race streak of points in the middle of the season, equalled/exceeded only by Mansell and Senna. De Angelis was also on the pace, managing to win the season opener at Brazil, although he suffered more from reliability issues (and being taken out of the San Marino Grand Prix by Christian Danner) and the GBA's relative lack of power compared to its rivals.

For 1987, Lotus need to keep up their rate of development, with both their chassis and with the Cosworth turbo engine, in order to remain competitive. They have a good lineup in Piquet and de Angelis, but they need to also sort out the reliability of their car. Regardless, it's unlikely that for 1987 at least, they will be moving much further up the grid.

1986 Piquet Rating: 8/10
1986 De Angelis Rating: 7/10
1986 Team Rating: 7/10
1987 WCC Prediction: 6th

[b]Equipe Ligier - BMW[ (8th, 10 points)/b]

25. René Arnoux (15th, 5 points)
26. Philippe Alliot (16th, 4 points), Didier Pironi (23rd, 1 point)

Ligier, after a relatively successful season in 1985, acquired customer BMW engines, signed René Arnoux after being sacked from Ferrari after 1 race in 1985, and Philippe Alliot, off of the back of 2 seasons with RAM, where nothing of note was achieved; reportedly for his substantial financial backing. The JS27 looked like a tidier effort than their previous attempts, and they would've achieved more if it weren't for the increased competitiveness of those ahead of them.

Arnoux was not bad, delivering a podium at Hockenheim and scoring at Austria, but Alliot however was far from exceptional. He managed to keep his car on the road for 2nd at the Brazilian Grand Prix, but apart from that, and his 6th at Detroit, he drove recklessly, crashing into Arnoux at Spa, crashing into Johansson at Silverstone, and furiously crashing into Alessandro Nannini at Austria, the lattermost incident being the final straw for Guy Ligier and his newly-signed deputy Pierre Lefevre, sacking Alliot and replacing him with Didier Pironi - making his return to F1 after his near-fatal accident at Hockenheim in 1982. Pironi certainly did not disgrace himself on his return, scoring in his first race at Monza and taking his car to the finish 2 other times.

Ligier have publicly stated that they want to become champions at the end of the decade - but this is going to be an extremely difficult task for them to achieve. They need to somehow get a better engine deal - difficult considering their competition - and probably need a better lineup than an aging René Arnoux and a still finding his feet Didier Pironi. Whether or not they are winning by 1989 is yet to be seen, but it looks unlikely that they will be moving up the grid too much in 1987.

1986 Arnoux Rating: 6/10
1986 Alliot Rating: 2/10
1986 Pironi Rating: 6.5/10
1986 Team Rating: 5.5/10
1987 WCC Prediction: 8th

Last edited by Gertrand Bachot on 31 May 2019, 15:48, edited 3 times in total.
AdrianBelmonte_

Re: F1 1986 - Season Over - Vote for ROTY!

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

How much can AGS spend on next year's car (if i can at all)
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Could I apply to be the waiting list, please?
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Gertrand Bachot

Salamander wrote:Could I apply to be the waiting list, please?

Sure you can!
Iso Masa

Post by Iso Masa »

ROTYs:
Drivers:
-Satoru Nakajima: King of DNQs. Has a drive only because of Honda.
-Michele Alboreto: Allergic to points.

Teams:
-Lola: No points, no point competing.
-Tyrrell: Lotus with similar engine drove laps around them.

HM to Minardi. Despite Honda Power, managed to top DNQ standings. But because of lucky points, they do not qualify for ROTY awards either.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Gertrand Bachot wrote:

Sure you can!

I will apply for the wait list as well, if its open please.
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Gertrand Bachot

CaptainGetz12 wrote:
Gertrand Bachot wrote:

Sure you can!

Of course!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Gertrand Bachot wrote:
CaptainGetz12 wrote:
Gertrand Bachot wrote:Sure you can!

Of course!

Hey! I applied to be the whole waiting list, not half of it! :P
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Salamander wrote:
Hey! I applied to be the whole waiting list, not half of it! :P

Well we'll have to share, won't we? Though we can use more players to fill out all of the teams next season :D
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?