Alternate Classic NASCAR

The place for non-canon series, including all series that contain minimal or no references at all to the RWRS universe
Salamander

Alternate Classic NASCAR

Post by Salamander »

Welcome!

The year is 1984. The Cold War is still in full swing, and Ronald Reagan is on his way to a landslide re-election, but while things in the wider world may be staying the same as ever, in the Deep South, times are changing for NASCAR. '70s legends such as Richard Petty, David Pearson, Cale Yarborough, and Bobby Allison may be stubbornly hanging on, trying to defy the inveitable ravages of time, but a new crop of younger stars are very much seizing the limelight. Darrell Waltrip and Dale Earnhardt have already won 3 Cup Championships, Terry Labonte, Harry Gant, and Bill Elliott are proving themselves potential champions in their own right, and a number of other young chargers are threatening to do the same - Ricky Rudd, Tim Richmond, Geoff Bodine, and Mark Martin, among others.

A similar turnover is affecting the car owners, as well. Gone are the days when the championship was simply to be decided between the Petty #43 and Junior Johnson's #11, with the Wood Brothers turning up at the major events to steal up to 10 victories a year. DiGard Motorsports broke through with their first championship in 1983, and the cars of Harry Melling, Billy Hagan, Hal Needham and Richard Childress are all showing that same potential themselves.

So, will you flourish or flounder, as this new era of NASCAR beckons?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to lay down a couple ground rules here, this will mostly follow real life, unless you decide to pitch me an interesting idea or two. I'd like to consider myself open to suggestions, as long as they're within reason - that means I'm not gonna let you hire Ayrton Senna, or something silly like that. It'll be pretty simple to manage as well, the only thing I'll need you to do is pick a driver or two, and name a replacement if they get injured.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Salamander

Re: Alternate Classic NASCAR

Post by Salamander »

With the scene set, let's take a look at the available teams to manage. If you want a little more information on the stats and results of each team, you can click on their name to see their real-life life stats. Obviously, with this still being an era of NASCAR where most efforts only showed up a few times a year, and were never a threat to win, there's quite a few teams I'm not listing here - the ones I've picked are the ones which, in real life, had at least a few wins to their name, though most had extended periods of success.

If you need any help with anything here, please feel free to ask. :)

Also, I am aware that certain sponsors were tied more to drivers than teams, but to keep things from becoming too hard to manage, I'll keep everyone with the same sponsors as in real life - at least, while we're starting off here.

Junior Johnson & Associates
#11 & #12 Budweiser Chevrolet Monte Carlos
Without question the dominant team in the sport, Junior Johnson's operation was difficult enough to contend with when they only had the #11 out on track. Having won 62 races and 5 championships between 1976 and 1982 with Cale Yarborough, and later Darrell Waltrip, the worst news the garage area could have heard was that the team would be receiving a $2 million dollar buy-in from California businessman Warner Hodgdon, and a second car. Budweiser are stepping up to sponsor both cars, in a move their marketing gurus are already advertising as "Double Thunder"; the question now, is will this superteam spell disaster for NASCAR, or for Junior Johnson?

Richard Childress Racing
#3 Wrangler Jeans Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Formerly an owner-driver through the late '70s, Richard Childress allowed reigning champion Dale Earnhardt to drive his car at the conclusion of the 1981 season, after being controversially sacked from his team. Although Childress himself had achieved respectable results in his own equipment, seeing the difference between his own ability and that of a Cup champion convinced him to hang up the helmet for good. Though Earnhardt would leave to drive for Bud Moore, a partnership with '77 Rookie of the Year Ricky Rudd resulted in a pair of wins and 6 pole positions. Now backed by Wrangler Jeans, Childress hopes that 1984 will see his car become a legitimate title contender.

Melling Racing
#9 Coors Ford Thunderbird
Formerly the family-run Elliott Racing team, Melling Racing entered its current guise at the conclusion of the 1981 season, when Harry Melling purchased the team, hoping to use it to promote range of automotive products. Following a part-time schedule in 1982, the team ran full-time for the first time in 1983, surprising everyone when Bill Elliott spent the majority of the season as a legitimate title contender. Eventually having to settle for 3rd overall, Melling Racing enters 1984 having finally won their first race in the '83 season closer at Riverside. Having signed a lucrative sponsorship deal with Coors beer, Melling hopes that 1984 will see his team make the jump from title contender, to title winner.

Hagan Racing
#44 Piedmont Airlines Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Louisiana businessman Billy Hagan's car was a regular fixture in the middle of the field through the late '70s, but that would soon change once Hagan met a prospective young Texan racer named Terry Labonte. The pair managed to steal the 1980 Southern 500 in a massive upset, and spent 15 of the first 19 races of 1982 leading the points. With a second win to Hagan Racing's name coming towards the end of the 1983 season, the culmination of a late-season charge that saw car #44 snag 8 top 5s in the final 11 races, the team hopes to carry that momentum into a successful title charge for 1984.

Mach 1 Racing
#33 Skoal Bandit Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Owned by Hollywood stuntman and director Hal Needham, and none other than the famous actor Burt Reynolds, Mach 1 Racing hasn't been the longest tenured team in NASCAR, but that hasn't stopped it from becoming one of the most recognisable. Driven only by 'Handsome' Harry Gant to date, the Skoal Bandit has been a threat to win from the word 'go' - though it took 30 attempts and 6 2nd place finishes to find the winner's circle. Mechanical failures and crashes have prevented the team from challenging for the championship, but Needham is confident that 1984 will be his team's year.

Ranier-Lundy Racing
#28 Hardee's Chevrolet Monte Carlo
A coal-mining tycoon from Kentucky, Harry Ranier's entry have quickly become a staple of the sport in the early '80s, especially once the team's performances with Lennie Pond at the wheel attracted big names to the seat, such as Buddy Baker, Bobby Allison, and Benny Parsons. Despite enduring a winless 1982 season, 1983 saw the team bounce back in a big way. With Hardee's sponsorship and 3-time champion Cale Yarborough driving, the #28 car won 4 races in 16 outings, and the team is undoubtedly a threat to be contended with in 1984.

All-Star Racing
#5 Northwestern Security Life Chevrolet Monte Carlo
The most promising debutant entry in the sport surely has to be the brand-new All-Star Racing team. With cars prepared by Harry Hyde, the legendary crew chief who won 28 races in two years with Bobby Isaac, they could well prove a factor in a number of races. The owner? Some guy who runs a bunch of car dealerships by the name of Rick Hendrick.

Bud Moore Engineering
#15 Wrangler Jeans Ford Thunderbird
One of the most successful car owners still running, Bud Moore's cars are always a sure bet to win at least a couple races a year. Though unable to quite re-capture the same level of success he enjoyed in the early '60s, when he won the title twice with Joe Weatherly, the last decade or so has seen the #15 regularly threaten the frontrunners. An alarming amount of mechanical failures plauged Moore's car for the past two years while Dale Earnhardt was driving, but this is still the same team which challenged for the title in 1979.

Wood Brothers Racing
#21 Valvoline Ford Thunderbird
Likely the second-most famous team in NASCAR to date, the Wood Brothers #21 terrorised the big events throughout the '70s with David Pearson. Usually dominant whenever they turned up, driver and team racked up hundreds of thousands of dollars in prize money, until an acrimonious split in 1979 saw them hand the keys over to Neil Bonnett. Though no longer the dominant force they once were, the Wood Brothers still have some of the best engineering knowledge in the garage, and it's surely only a matter of time before they begin dominating the field again.

Blue Max Racing
#27 Old Milwaukee Pontiac Grand Prix
3-time NHRA Funny Car champion Raymond Beadle, unsatisfied with simply being a dominant force there, bought out M.C. Anderson Racing at the tail end of 1982, re-branding it as Blue Max Racing. With a promising team at his command, Beadle then signed a talented young charger named Tim Richmond to wheel the car - which he did with gusto in 1983. Some teething issues prevented the team from being a threat in the early part of the season, but by the end of it, the #27 car was a regular threat to be contended with. Should the team get on top of its reliability woes, they will surely give the front-runners plenty to deal with.

Petty Enterprises
#7 7-Eleven Ford Thunderbird
For the first time since the '50s, NASCAR car owners will not have to contend with the combination of Richard Petty, driving the Petty Enterprises #43. Indeed, it's all change for the Petty team, as longtime sponsors STP have taken the rights to the #43 with them to sponsor Mike Curb's new team. Having run cars in previous years for both King Richard and Kyle Petty, the team is now scaling back to a single-car operation centered around Kyle's team. Petty Enterprises may not have seriously contended for a title since Richard won his 7th in 1979, but no driver in the garage would turn down the opportunity to race for the most famous team in the sport.

Morgan-McClure Motorsports
#4 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
The product of an ambitious partnership between Larry McClure and Tim Morgan, Morgan-McClure Motorsports ran a handful of races towards the end of 1983 with youngster Mark Martin driving in most of them. With a top 10 finish at Talladega in only their 4th start, this is surely a team to watch for the future.

RahMoc Enterprises
#75 Pontiac Grand Prix
Another young team formed in a partnership, Bob Rahilly and Butch Mock's team. After running a rotation of drivers whilst they built up the team, the team found some success in 1982, with Joe Ruttman scoring 4 top 5s in 23 outings. This was enough to pique the interest of Neil Bonnett, having just left the Wood Brothers at the time. One year, and two race wins later, RahMoc Enterprises seeks to maintain and build on their achievements in 1984.

Stavola Brothers Racing
#8 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
A brand-new outfit formed by brothers Bill and Mickey Stavola, Stavola Brothers Racing may not have experience or a huge amount of backing, but the team certainly shows a lot of promise through their work ethic. They may very well be the next small team to strike it big, just as RahMoc did in 1983.

Curb Racing
#43 STP Pontiac Grand Prix
Record label owner Mike Curb makes a surprising leap into Cup competition for the 1984, and in a big way, too. Having swiped STP sponsorship from under Petty Enterprises' noses for the next couple of seasons, the team has also secured motors from DiGard Motorsports, and former DiGard crew chief Buddy Parrott. Though they haven't yet announced a deal with Richard Petty, it is anticipated that the King will follow his longtime sponsor and car number.

Since I want to make sure everyone has a fair shot of getting their preferred team, and it doesn't just become a first-come first-serve situation, please apply for ownership for no more than three teams using the below form, and I will run an RNG to determine team ownership at 17:00 BST, Sunday 5 April.

Code: Select all

User name:
Team 1:
Team 2:
Team 3:

Thank you.
Last edited by Salamander on 04 Apr 2020, 17:28, edited 4 times in total.
Everything's great.
Kinnikuniverse

Post by Kinnikuniverse »

admittedly, I'm not that familiar with NASCAR from the 80s and earlier. I was born in 95, so I'm more familiar with the Gordon's and Stewart's and Newman's and Johnson's, etc.

with that Said, I much prefer the looks of the old school stock cars, and this series is different from the usual fare on these forums, so count me in, pardner!

Team bids:

- Hendrick m...i mean, all star racing
- Richard Childress racing
- ranier-lundy racing
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Kinnikuniverse wrote:admittedly, I'm not that familiar with NASCAR from the 80s and earlier. I was born in 95, so I'm more familiar with the Gordon's and Stewart's and Newman's and Johnson's, etc.

with that Said, I much prefer the looks of the old school stock cars, and this series is different from the usual fare on these forums, so count me in, pardner!

Team bids:

- Hendrick m...i mean, all star racing
- Richard Childress racing
- ranier-lundy racing

That's absolutely no problem, I don't expect a huge amount of knowledge here - if you have any questions at all on the series, feel free to ask at any time. :)
Everything's great.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

User name: Rembrandt Q. Einstein
Team 1: Wood Brothers Racing
Team 2: Richard Childress Racing
Team 3: All-Star Racing
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

User name: Dom
Team 1: Bud Moore Engineering
Team 2: Mach 1 Racing
Team 3: Melling Racing
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

User name: Wazzle
Team 1: Junior Johnson & Associates
Team 2: Morgan-McClure Motorsport
Team 3: Hagan Racing
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

User name: Cpt. Getz
Team 1: Melling Racing
Team 2: Petty Enterprises
Team 3: Hagan Racing
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Shawn040217

Post by Shawn040217 »

User Name: Just Shawn
Team 1: Stavola Brothers Racing
Team 2: Blue Max Racing
Team 3: Wood Brothers Racing (just because I'm a bit of a DiBurrito fan)
V8fan12

Post by V8fan12 »

User name: V8fan12
Team 1: Mach-1 Racing
Team 2: Bud Moore Engineering
Team 3: Morgan-McClure Motorsports
Owner of the Peak Motorsport Group.

Biscione wrote:I mean, Renaldo Jimenez, could you ask for a more world class pay driver? Who even is Alexey Buyvolov, amirite?
Pilot

Post by Pilot »

User name: Pilot
Team 1: Hagan Racing
Team 2: Richard Childress
Team 3: Blue-Max Racing
Biscione wrote:Can you stop being such a snowflake for five minutes?
Gertrand Bachot

Post by Gertrand Bachot »

User name: GB
Team 1: All-Star Racing
Team 2: Wood Brothers Racing
Team 3: Blue Max Racing
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

User name: CarloSpace
Team 1: Petty Enterprises
Team 2: Mach 1 Racing
Team 3: Ranier-Lundy Racing
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

For obvious reasons, I believe that Curb Racing should also be available to play and thus I'll apply for them.

User name: Mr. Klon
Team 1: Curb Racing
Team 3: Stavola Brothers Racing
(Should Curb Racing not be an option, Blue Max and Stavola move one spot up and RahMoc Enterprises becomes the third choice)
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Klon wrote:For obvious reasons, I believe that Curb Racing should also be available to play and thus I'll apply for them.

User name: Mr. Klon
Team 1: Curb Racing
Team 3: Stavola Brothers Racing
(Should Curb Racing not be an option, Blue Max and Stavola move one spot up and RahMoc Enterprises becomes the third choice)

I didn't include Curb Racing because they only lasted a few seasons before closing up shop, but looking ahead, their demise coincides with with the debut of a couple of competitive teams, so as long as you're fine with that, there won't be an issue. I've put up a team profile as well, so anyone else who wishes to run Curb Racing can also apply for them.

To be clear how team assignment will work, since I realised I didn't really explain it - if your first choice team has no other users with that as their first-choice, you will automatically get that team. If not, then once all uncontested first-choices are assigned, an RNG will be run with equal odds for each first-choice applicant. Once all first choices are done, then I will move on to second choices, then third, until all users have a team. If there are any users who don't have a team once I get through everyone's third choices, then they will be able to pick from the remaining teams. I hope that makes sense to everyone, but if you have a question about the process, just ask. :)
Everything's great.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Alrighty, then, time to dish out the team ownerships.

Junior Johnson & Associates
The only 1st choice bid for this team is Wazzle, so he automatically gets control!

Melling Racing
The only 1st choice bid for this team is Cpt. Getz, so he automatically gets control!

Hagan Racing
The only 1st choice bid for this team is Pilot, so he automatically gets control!

Mach 1 Racing
The only 1st choice bid for this team is V8fan12, so he automatically gets control!

Bud Moore Engineering
The only 1st choice bid for this team is Dom, so he automatically gets control!

Wood Brothers Racing
The only 1st choice bid for this team is Rembrandt Q. Einstein (aka Ataxia), so he automatically gets control!

Petty Enterprises
The only 1st choice bid for this team is CarloSpace, so he automatically gets control!

Stavola Brothers Racing
The only 1st choice bid for this team is Just Shawn, so he automatically gets control!

Curb Racing
The only 1st choice bid for this team is Mr. Klon, so he automatically gets control!

All-Star Racing
The only contested team ownership - it's a coin flip between kinnikuniverse and GB (GertrandBachot). Heads, it's kinni, tails GB.

The almighty Google has declared kinnikuniverse the manager of All-Star Racing!

Blue Max Racing
2nd choice Wood Brothers Racing is already taken, but GB is the only contender for his 3rd choice, Blue Max Racing, so he automatically gets control!

This leaves the following teams available for anyone who wants to come along late:
Richard Childress Racing
Ranier-Lundy Racing
Morgan-McClure Motorsports
RahMoc Enterprises

Next up, it's time to select drivers!
Everything's great.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Here is a list of 25 of the most successful drivers in NASCAR, and some top prospects for the future. Keep in mind, you don't necessarily have to sign a driver on this list if you don't want to - these are just suggestions for some of the most solid drivers, but there are more out there who could surprise.

Richard Petty
Career accomplishments: 7 Cup Championships (1964, 1967, 1971, 1972, 1974, 1975, 1979), 198 wins, 7 Daytona 500 wins (1964, 1966, 1971, 1973, 1974, 1979, 1981), 1967 Southern 500 winner, 1975 & 1977 World 600 winner, 1959 Rookie of the Year
1983 season: 3 wins, 9 top 5s, 21 top 10s, 4th in points for Petty Enterprises
The undisputed King of stock car racing, Richard Petty, faces 1984 in an unprecedented situation. Following a scandal in his 198th and so far final victory in Winston Cup competition, in which his car was found to have an oversized engine, NASCAR forcibly split up driver and team. Though Petty hasn't been a major contender for the title since 1979, there isn't a car owner in the garage who wouldn't want the King driving their car. He's likely to move to Mike Curb's new team with sponsor STP, but the deal isn't sealed just yet.

Bobby Allison
Career accomplishments: 1983 Cup Champion, 79 wins, 1978 & 1982 Daytona 500 winner, 4 Southern 500 wins (1971, 1972, 1975, 1983), 1971 & 1981 World 600 winner, 1982 Busch Clash winner
1983 season: 6 wins, 18 top 5s, 25 top 10s, champion, Southern 500 winner for DiGard Motorsports
The greatest driver in NASCAR never to win the championship until he finally actually won it in 1983, Bobby Allison holds the distinction of winning with an impressive 12 different car owners to date. The seemingly ageless Allison went toe-to-toe with the fastest driver in the fastest car in '83 and came out on top, and surely figures to be a threat for the championship again - as ever.

Cale Yarborough
Career accomplishments: 1976-1978 Cup Champion, 78 wins, 1977 & 1983 Daytona 500 winner, 5 Southern 500 wins (1968, 1973, 1974, 1978, 1982), only driver to win 3 consecutive Cup championships
1983 season: 4 wins, 8 top 10s in 16 starts (limited schedule), Daytona 500 winner for Ranier-Lundy Racing
Though Cale Yarborough only attempted a full schedule for 8 years, he was a threat to win the title all but once. Yarborough was the driver with which Junior Johnson achieved his current notoriety as a car owner, winning an unprecedented 3 consecutive Cup championships. He may have retired from full-time competition at the conclusion of the 1980 season, but Yarborough is always a threat to win.

Darrell Waltrip
Career accomplishments: 1981, 1982 Cup Champion, 57 wins, 1978 & 1979 World 600 winner, 1981 Busch Clash winner
1983 season: 6 wins, 22 top 5s, 25 top 10s, 7 poles, 2nd in points for Junior Johnson & Associates
Nicknamed "Jaws", in part due to his aggressive driving, but also in part because he never shuts up. Waltrip frequently fell short of the title in the late '70s, owing to DiGard Motosports' fragility, but he very much became the dominant driver on the circuit once Junior Johnson chose him to succeed Cale Yarborough. He may have narrowly lost the championship to his old rival Bobby Allison at the tail end of '83, but Jaws is undoubtedly a favourite to reclaim his crown in '84.

Dale Earnhardt
Career accomplishments: 1980 Champion, 9 wins, 1979 Rookie of the Year, 1980 Busch Clash winner
1983 season: 2 wins, 9 top 5s, 14 top 10s, 8th in points for Bud Moore Engineering
The first real sign of the changing guard of NASCAR came when Dale Earnhardt, a young, hard-nosed short-track racer, broke through with the previously unfancied Osterlund Racing team in 1980. Winning 5 races and maintaining an iron grip on the points lead, despite Cale Yarborough's best efforts, Earnhardt has struggled to contend for the championship since then. Fired from his championship-winning team when ownership changed hands to J.D. Stacy, he has spent the past two seasons acquiring a reputation as something of a car breaker with Bud Moore. Now, Earnhardt seeks to return to the championship hunt.

David Pearson
Career accomplishments: 3 Cup Championships (1966, 1968, 1969), 105 wins, 1976 Daytona 500 winner, 3 Southern 500 wins (1976, 1977, 1979), 3 World 600 wins (1961, 1974, 1976), 1960 Rookie of the Year
1983 season: 1 top 5, 4 top 10s in 10 starts (limited schedule) for Bobby Hawkins Racing
There are many in the garage who believe that the Silver Fox, David Pearson, is the greatest driver to grace the NASCAR Cup circuit. Though he only ran for the championship 4 times in his career, he won it 3 times, and boasts a win rate of almost 1 win every 5 starts. However, the past few years have not been as kind to Pearson, since splitting with the Wood Brothers in 1979 following an ill-fitted wheel. Having only won twice since, and not at all since 1980, it's likely not long before Pearson hangs up his helmet for good - that said, there are few who'd begrudge him one final win before he bows out.

Benny Parsons
Career accomplishments: 1973 Champion, 20 wins, 1975 Daytona 500 winner, 1980 World 600 winner
1983 season: 4 top 5s, 5 top 10s in 16 starts (limited schedule) for Johnny Hayes Racing
Between 1971 and 1981, only one team broke the stranglehold that the Pettys and Junior Johnson held on the championship - the team was DeWitt Racing, and their driver was Benny Parsons, in only his 4th full season. A consistent top 5 points finisher throughout the '70s, Parsons has recently scaled back to part-time schedules in the past couple years. That said, he hasn't ruled out a return to full-time competition.

Neil Bonnett
Career accomplishments: 13 wins, 1981 Southern 500 winner, 1982 & 1983 World 600 winner, 1983 Busch Clash winner
1983 season: 2 wins, 10 top 5s, 17 top 10s, 4 poles, 6th in points, World 600 winner, Busch Clash winner for RahMoc Enterprises
The Wood Brothers' chosen successor for David Pearson, Neil Bonnett quickly grew into the role, and won his fair share of races while racing the legendary #21. Pehaps more impressive, though, were his performances driving for RahMoc in 1983 - regularly a competitor at the front, Bonnett in fact led the points in the early season. Having proven himself a solid season-long driver in unfancied equipment, Bonnett is hoping that he can use that success as a springboard to challenge for the championship in 1984.

Buddy Baker
Career accomplishments: 19 wins, 1980 Daytona 500 winner, 1970 Southern 500 winner, 3 time World 600 winner (1968, 1972, 1973), 1979 Busch Clash winner
1983 season: 1 win, 5 top 5s, 12 top 10s in 21 starts (limited schedule) for Wood Brothers Racing
Son of 2-time Cup champion Buck Baker, Buddy may not have achieved the level of success that his father managed, but he has shown a knack for winning the big races on the schedule, including the distinction of winning the fastest Daytona 500 to date. A part-time driver for the majority of his career, Baker is hoping to notch up a few more wins before he calls time on his career.

Terry Labonte
Career accomplishments: 2 wins, 1980 Southern 500 winner, 3rd in points in 1982
1983 season: 1 win, 11 top 5s, 20 top 10s, 3 poles, 5th in points for Hagan Racing
'Texas' Terry Labonte may be one of the youngest drivers on the circuit, but he's already made a name for himself as one of NASCAR's most consistent and dependable racers. A graduate of quarter midgets, and the local stock car scene in Houston and San Antonio, Labonte broke onto the Cup scene at the end of 1978, before sensationally winning the 1980 Southern 500, beating David Pearson in a race to the line. He then became a major feature in the title hunt in 1982, leading the points for half the season despite not winning a race all year. Noted for his reserved and mature demeanor, at only 26 years old, greatness surely awaits Terry Labonte.

Bill Elliott
Career accomplishments: 1 win, 8 2nd place finishes, 3rd in points in 1983
1983 season: 1 win, 12 top 5s, 22 top 10s, 3rd in points for Melling Racing, won season closer at Riverside International Raceway
1983 may have been Bill Elliott's first full season as a NASCAR Cup driver, but it hasn't precluded him from gaining one of the most enthusiastic fanbases in the sport. After years of working away with his family-run team, showing their race-winning potential, they attracted the interest of Harry Melling. With his support, Elliott worked his way to an incredible 3rd place in points, even earning himself a spot in the title conversation midway through the year. Renowned for his smooth, easy driving style, Elliott is as much noted for his ability to stay out of trouble as his speed - his last failure to finish due to an accident came in mid-1981, nearly 60 starts previous.

Harry Gant
Career accomplishments: 3 wins, 1 Busch Grand National win, 8 2nd place finishes, 13 top 5s and 3rd in points in 1981
1983 season: 1 win, 10 top 5s, 16 top 10s, 7th in points for Mach 1 Racing
Though 'Handsome' Harry Gant might be in his mid 40s, you wouldn't guess it from his hard-charging racing style. A legend in the Late Model Sportsman Series races through the '60s and '70s, Gant didn't make his full-time Cup debut until 1979. Once he teamed up with Hal Needham's Mach 1 Racing in 1981, his sheer speed that year made him an outside title contender, though several blown engines kept him from becoming anything more. Similarly, reliability precluded Gant from title contention in '82 and '83, but he is a patient driver, known for letting the races come to him. It stands to reason that he will take the same approach to the Cup championship.

Ricky Rudd
Career accomplishments: 2 wins, 1 Busch Grand National win, 1977 Rookie of the Year, 14 top 5s and 6th in points in 1981
1983 season: 2 wins, 7 top 5s, 14 top 10s, 4 poles, 9th in points for Richard Childress Racing
Though Ricky Rudd has been in the Cup garage for at least half the season every year since his rookie year, it took until 1981 for him to get his big break. When Darrell Waltrip departed DiGard Motorsports, the team went with Rudd to replace him. That partnership may have only lasted one season due to a lack of wins, but it was enough to convince Richard Childress that Rudd was the man to drive his car in 1982 and '83. Now an established winner and contender on the circuit, Ricky Rudd could well be the next young star to break out with a title-contending - and maybe even winning - season.

Tim Richmond
Career accomplishments: 3 wins, 10th in points in 1983, 1980 Indianapolis 500 Rookie of the Year, 1981 Daytona ARCA 200 winner, 1982 Daytona 500 Consolation Race winner
1983 season: 1 win, 10 top 5s, 15 top 10s, 4 poles, 10th in points for Blue Max Racing
After trying to break into IndyCar racing, a series of crashes prompted the hard-partying Tim Richmond to try out stock cars. Finding them more to his liking, Richmond began to pursue a career in NASCAR Cup competition. In only 3 full seasons, Richmond has already notched 3 wins and nearly 1000 laps in the lead. An exciting, aggressive racer, he might be a bit tough on his equipment, but he's certain to win a whole bunch of races in the near future, and maybe even a championship.

Morgan Shepherd
Career accomplishments: 1 win, 4 Busch Grand National wins, 10th in points in 1982, 1980 Sportsman Series champion (9 wins, 21 2nd place finishes)
1983 season: 3 top 5s, 13 top 10s, 20th in points, drove for 4 different car owners, 2 wins, 9 top 5s, 13 top 10s, 1 pole in 18 starts in Busch Grand National (limited schedule)
Like Harry Gant, Morgan Shepherd's Cup career didn't truly get going until he was almost 40. After alcoholism almost derailed his career entirely in the '70s, Shepherd overcame it, winning in only his 17th career start at Martinsville. Though he may have had trouble finding a consistent team to drive for, he has notched up 12 top 5 finishes and 36 top 10s in the past 3 season, and a top 10 points finish in 1982. Shepherd is quickly becoming one of the most dependable drivers in the garage.

Ron Bouchard
Career accomplishments: 1 win, 8th in points in 1982, 35 Modfied victories, 2 track championships at Stafford Speedway, 1981 Rookie of the Year
1983 season: 1 top 5, 7 top 10s, 1 pole, 16th in points for Race Hill Farm Team
A legend in Modified racing out of Massachusetts, Ron Bouchard came south in 1981, looking for a new challenge and a shot at super-stardom. He wound up shocking the NASCAR world by winning in only his 11th start, in a thrilling last lap shooutout against Darrell Waltrip and Terry Labonte. Though Bouchard has had to wait a little longer for that second win, he has established himself as a dependable qualifier, as one of only five drivers to score a pole in each of the past three seasons. Now an established regular, Bouchard looks to join the likes of Labonte, Elliott, and Gant as part of the next wave of NASCAR stars.

Geoff Bodine
Career accomplishments: 1 Busch Grand National series win, 3 Cup poles, 1982 Rookie of the Year, 55 Modified feature victories in 84 appearances in 1978 (Single season record)
1983 season: 5 top 5s, 9 top 10s, 1 pole, 17th in points for Cliff Stewart Racing
Pretty much the greatest modified racer of the '70s, the hard charging Geoff Bodine has been a consistent threat in qualifying since making his debut as a full-time Cup driver in 1982. Though finishing races has been a tougher challenge for the New Yorker, with over 600 laps led and 9 top fives already for Cliff Stewart, he has undoubtedly been more competitive in Stewart's equipment than any other driver - he just lacks a win. But there is definitely the makings of a winner in Geoff Bodine.

Joe Ruttman
Career accomplishments: 1980 USAC Stock Car Champion, 1 Busch Grand National win, 2 ARCA wins, 1982 Daytona ARCA 200 winner, 2 Cup poles, finished 10th on debut
1983 season: 4 top 5s, 10 top 10s, 2 poles, 12th in points for Benfield Racing
Though Joe Ruttman made his first start in NASCAR Cup competition in 1963, at the age of 18, he didn't make his 5th until 1981, when the notorious Jim Stacy gave him his big break. Ultimately, Stacy would choose Ruttman to replace the reigning champion Dale Earnhardt, after buying Earnhardt's team from Rod Osterlund. However, when he failed to win a race, he was quickly dropped, but landed on his feet at RahMoc in 1982. Now with a couple of solid seasons of Cup competition under his belt, Ruttman hopes that 1984 will see him finally notch that first win.

Kyle Petty
Career accomplishments: 1979 Daytona ARCA 200 winner (first major stock car race), came within 2 car lengths of winning at Dover in 1982
1983 season: 2 top 10s, 13th in points for Petty Enterprises
It's always tough having a legendary father to live up to, but Kyle Petty is showing that he very well might have the potential to do just that. Winning on his national stock car racing debut is no mean feat, and though 3 and a half seasons of Cup competition haven't yielded much in the way of obvious results, it is worth nothing that he's had to do so as the understudy to the King himself. With Richard Petty now leaving their family team for the forseeable future, the time may have finally arrived for Kyle, only 23 years of age, to make his own name in the NASCAR world.

Mark Martin
Career accomplishments: 3 time ASA National champion (1978-1980) 1 ARCA win, 2 Cup poles in first 4 attempts, 1977 ASA National Rookie of the Year
1983 season: 1 top 5, 3 top 10s in 16 starts (limited schedule) for 4 different car owners
It takes a special kind of driver to stand up against the greatest short-track racers in America and win, but that's exactly what Mark Martin did for 3 consecutive years in the ASA, when he beat the likes of Dick Trickle to win the championship from 1978-1980. Martin then proceeded to turn a lot of NASCAR heads with his performances in a team co-owned by himself and Bud Reeder, seemingly earning himself his big break when Jim Stacy picked him to race his car for 1983 - only to be dropped after just 7 races. His own team sold off by that point, Martin struggled to find a ride for the rest of the year, but still managed to impress in his outings for the start-up Morgan-McClure team, but as 1984 looms with no clear ride on the horizon, its do-or-die for Mark Martin, and his hopes of a NASCAR career.

Sterling Marlin
Career accomplishments: 1983 Rookie of the Year, 3 top 10 finishes in first 8 starts between 1976 and 1980, 3-time track champion at Nashville Speedway (1980-1982)
1983 season: 1 top 10, 19th in points for Hamby Motorsports
Son of short-track legend Coo Coo Marlin, Sterling Marlin may be noted for his own short-track prowess, but in the one-off outings that characterise many prospective NASCAR drivers, it was his performances at the big speedways of Charlotte and Daytona that were most impressive. After earning a season-long ride in Roger Hamby's car, Marlin turned in a respectable, well-managed season in sub-par equipment, hinting that there could be a superstar in the making in this young Tennessee racer.

Jody Ridley
Career accomplishments: 1 win, 1980 Rookie of the Year, 5th in points in 1981, 2 2nd place finishes in 2 starts in Busch Grand National, 5th place finish in Cup series debut at Atlanta
1983 season: 3 top 10s in 10 starts (limited schedule) for Robert McEntyre Racing
Car owner Junie Donlavey is known throughout the Cup garage for offering a shot to many prospective NASCAR racers in solid, if unspectacular, equipment. None of them ever won for Donlavey, though... until Jody Ridley broke through with a surprise victory at Dover in 1981. Though a disappointing 1982 saw Ridley dropped from Donlavey's #90, a part-time schedule in 1983 saw him take an impressive 3 top ten finishes in Robert McEntyre's underfunded cars. Could that be the key to a career revitalisation for him?

Lake Speed
Career accomplishments: 1978 Karting World Champion, 1981 Daytona 500 Consolation race winner in own equipment
1983 season: 2 top 5s, 5 top 10s in 18 starts (limited schedule) for Ellington Racing
One of the greatest American karters of all time, once Lake Speed's career culminated in winning the world championship in 1978, he set his sights on the toughest obstacle he could find. Eventually settling on NASCAR, Speed bought a car and started up his own team in 1980. Despite his unfamiliarity with stock car racing, he showed plenty of promise, scoring a number of top 10s, and earning himself a ride with the part-time Ellington Racing team for 1983 - a team that had previously run the likes of Benny Parsons, Buddy Baker, and David Pearson in the 2 years prior to that. Speed certainly lived up to his name in that equipment, even duelling with Parsons and Richard Petty for the win at Talladega. Having displayed his tenacity and versatility, Speed looks to continue his upward momentum through 1984.

Jimmy Hensley
Career accomplishments: 4 top 10s in first 6 starts between 1972 and 1974
1983 season: 5 top 5s and 16 top 10s, 8th in points in Busch Grand National, despite missing 6 races
One of Virigina's best short-track racers, Jimmy Hensley has been a regular call-up whenever NASCAR visits Martinsville for over a decade now, and has always delivered stellar results in mediocre-to-average equipment. When the Sportsman Series began to morph into the Busch Grand National series, Hensley moved with his uncle's race team to compete there. Despite only competed in limited schedules the past 2 years, Hensley has already proven himself a significant threat to the frontrunners there, and given the opportunity, may very well challenge for the title. Unless he's granted a Cup opportunity first...

Rusty Wallace
Career accomplishments: 1983 ASA National champion, 2nd place on Cup debut, 1979 USAC Stock Car Rookie of the Year, 2nd in points in 1981 USAC Stock Car series
1983 season: ASA National champion
A mentee of Dick Trickle, Rusty Wallace is already generating a ton of hype among those in the Cup garage who think that he could be the next big thing to break out on to the NASCAR scene. Having honed his craft on the short tracks of Florida, Wallace has spent the last few years building experience in USAC and ASA stock cars, against well-respected racers like A.J. Foyt, Joe Ruttman, Mark Martin, and Dick Trickle. Already a heavy favourite to win Rookie of the Year when he makes his full-time debut, Wallace intends to win far more than that before he's done with NASCAR.

Please bid for a driver using the following form - you can bid for as many as you want:

Code: Select all

User name:
Team:
Driver 1:
Driver 2:
Driver 3:
etc...
Everything's great.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

User name: Klon
Team: Curb Racing
Driver 1: "The King" Richard Petty
Driver 2: Harry Gant
Driver 3: Sterling Marlin
Driver 4: Sam Ard
Driver 5: Peter Kuhn
Kinnikuniverse

Post by Kinnikuniverse »

User: kinnikuniverse
team: all-star racing

driver 1: Terry labonte
driver 2: Mark Martin
driver 3: rusty Wallace
driver 4: bill elliott
driver 5: Dale Earnhardt
driver 6: Ron bouchard
dried 7: lake speed

I purposefully put Earnhardt low on the list cause this is Hendrick's first years of existence, and they aren't the all-conquering prestigious team they are today, so yeah.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

(BIDS UPDATED)

User name: Cpt. Getz
Team: Melling Racing

Driver 1: Dale Earnhardt
Driver 2: Bobby Allison
Driver 3: Neil Bonnett
Driver 4: Mario Andretti (He hasn't won a NASCAR race since 1967, but if there was ever a time to pip him from CART, it's now, with his F1 days behind him)
Driver 5: Rick Mears (Won the CART title 2 years ago, perhaps time to switch to a new challenge?)
Driver 6: Ricky Rudd
Driver 7: Geoff Bodine
Driver 8: Terry Labonte
Driver 9: Lake Speed
Last edited by CaptainGetz12 on 08 Apr 2020, 19:22, edited 3 times in total.
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

User name: CarloSpace
Team: Petty Enterprises
Driver 1: Richard Petty (come back home)
Driver 2: Kyle Petty

Aaaand on the off chance that Kyle refuses:
Driver 3: Dale Earnhardt
Driver 4: Ricky Rudd
Driver 5: Neil Bonnett
Driver 6: Terry Labonte
Driver 7: Sterling Martin
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

CarloSpace wrote:User name: CarloSpace
Team: Petty Enterprises
Driver 1: Richard Petty (come back home)

Just so you're aware, NASCAR mandated for 1984 at least that Richard Petty won't drive for Petty Enterprises. Sorry about that.
Everything's great.
Shawn040217

Post by Shawn040217 »

User name: Just Shawn
Team : Stavola Brothers Racing
We would like to give our seat to the following drivers, in order of preference:
1] Mark Martin
2] Joe Ruttman
3} Terry Labonte
4} Mario Andretti
5] Alan Jones ( I know, fite me)
6] Rusty Wallace
7] Ken Schrader
8] Buddy Baker
9] Dave Marcis
10] Derrike Cope
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

User name: Dom
Team name: Bud Moore Engineering

Driver 1: Bobby Allison
Driver 2: Darrell Waltrip
Driver 3: Ricky Rudd
Driver 4: Greg Sacks
Driver 5: Tim Richmond
Last edited by Dom_Wings on 07 Apr 2020, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
V8fan12

Post by V8fan12 »

User name: V8fan12
Team name: Mach 1 Racing

Driver 1: Bill Elliott
Driver 2: Terry Labonte
Driver 3: Harry Gant
Driver 4: Ricky Rudd
Driver 5: Joe Ruttman
Driver 6: Morgan Shepherd
Owner of the Peak Motorsport Group.

Biscione wrote:I mean, Renaldo Jimenez, could you ask for a more world class pay driver? Who even is Alexey Buyvolov, amirite?
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

User name: Wazzle
Team name: Johnson and Friends

Car #11
Driver 1: Darrell Waltrip
Driver 2: Dale Earnhardt
Driver 3: Neil Bonnett

Car #12
Driver 1: Tim Richmond
Driver 2: Greg Sacks
Driver 3: Dave Marcis
Driver 4: Dick Trickle
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Pilot

Post by Pilot »

User name: Pilot
Team: Hagan Racing
Driver 1: Dale Earnhardt
Driver 2: Darrell Waltrip
Driver 3: Richard Petty
Driver 4: Terry Labonte
Biscione wrote:Can you stop being such a snowflake for five minutes?
Gertrand Bachot

Post by Gertrand Bachot »

User name: GB
Team: Blue Max Racing
Driver 1: Tim Richmond
Driver 2: Mark Martin
Driver 3: Geoff Bodine
Driver 4: Harry Gant
Driver 5: Lake Speed
Dexter249

Post by Dexter249 »

I'll take McClure if possible.
FIAT Group, finding loopholes in the FIA rulebook since it's inception.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Dexter249 wrote:I'll take McClure if possible.

Morgan-McClure's all yours. :)
Everything's great.
Dexter249

Post by Dexter249 »

User name: Dexter249
Team: Morgan-McClure Motorsports
Driver 1: Terry Labonte
Driver 2: Sterling Marlin
Driver 3: Lake Speed
Driver 4: Rusty Wallace.
FIAT Group, finding loopholes in the FIA rulebook since it's inception.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Because I want to get the carset working sometime over the weekend, I'll give Ataxia until 12pm on Saturday to get his bids in - else I'll just give him someone who hasn't been signed by another team.
Everything's great.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Note that I have changed my Bids. Please adjust them before driver lottery begins please!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Salamander wrote:Because I want to get the carset working sometime over the weekend, I'll give Ataxia until 12pm on Saturday to get his bids in - else I'll just give him someone who hasn't been signed by another team.

Oh bollocks, sorry!

Team: Wood Bros. Racing:

1) Ricky Rudd
2) Kyle Petty
3) Mark Martin
4) Bill Elliott
5) Lake Speed
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Alright, now to sort out who is driving for who, it's that all important RNG time!

RNG ranges and reaction were done in the discord chat, which you can read here. The main contenders for 1984 look like this:

#3 Richard Childress Racing Wrangler Chevrolet - Geoff Bodine
#4 Morgan-McClure Motorsports Chevrolet - Sterling Marlin
#5 All-Star Racing Northwestern Security Life Chevrolet - Terry Labonte
#7 Petty Enterprises 7-Eleven Ford - Kyle Petty
#8 Stavola Brothers Racing Chevrolet - Joe Ruttman
#9 Melling Racing Coors Ford - Dale Earnhardt
#11 Junior Johnson & Associates Budweiser Chevrolet - Darrell Waltrip
#12 Junior Johnson & Associates Budweiser Chevrolet - Tim Richmond
#15 Bud Moore Engineering Wrangler Ford - Bobby Allison
#21 Wood Brothers Racing Valvoline Ford - Ricky Rudd
#22 DiGard Motorsports Miller High Life Buick - Neil Bonnett
#27 Blue Max Racing Old Milwaukee Pontiac - Mark Martin
#33 Mach 1 Racing Skoal Bandit Chevrolet - Bill Elliott
#43 Curb Racing STP Pontiac - Harry Gant
#44 Hagan Racing Piedmont Airlines Chevrolet - Richard Petty
#75 RahMoc Enterprises Pontiac - Dave Marcis
#88 Cliff Stewart Racing Gatorade Pontiac - Rusty Wallace

I'll put together the carset and release the '84 calendar soon - hopefully the Daytona 500 should be run this weekend.
Everything's great.
Kinnikuniverse

Post by Kinnikuniverse »

wow, Rick Hendrick is way luckier than OTL! not only did he get a sponsor from the start, but they got labonte, as well! looks like we are ready to turn the NASCAR world upside down!

speaking of upside down, the king friendzoning Mike curb is simply hilarious, while jaws and Richmond on the same team is gonna be either the NASCAR Dream team...or it could end up as the stock car equivalent of senna/prost.

Mark Martin finally in a good team, while Bill Elliot could upset people with that competitive team behind him. the intimidator's choice is an interesting one, to say the least, while Richard Childress has a more than capable replacement in Geoff bodine.

overall, this is gonna be a crazy season! in the immortal words of takenobu mitsuyoshi:

Tu tu tu tututu tututu tuutuuuuuu

DAYTOOONAAAAAAAA

DAAAYTOONAAAAA LET'S GO AWAY!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

And here is the 1984 NASCAR Winston Cup calendar:

Busch Clash - Daytona International Speedway (2.5 mile superspeedway): February 12
Daytona 500 - Daytona International Speedway (2.5 mile superspeedway): February 19
Miller High Life 400 - Richmond Fairgrounds Raceway (0.542 short track) February 26

Warner W. Hodgdon Carolina 500 - North Carolina Motor Speedway (1.017 mile speedway): March 4
Coca-Cola 500 - Atlanta International Raceway (1.522 mile speedway): March 18

Valleydale 500 - Bristol International Speedway (0.533 mile short track): April 1
Northwestern Bank 400 - North Wilkesboro Speedway (0.625 mile short track): April 8
TranSouth 500 - Darlington Raceway (1.366 mile speedway): April 15
Sovran Bank 500 - Martinsville Speedway (0.526 mile short track): April 29

Winston 500 - Alabama International Motor Speedway (2.66 mile superspeedway): May 6
Coors 420 - Nashville Speedway (0.596 mile short track): May 12
Budweiser 500 - Dover Downs International Speedway (1 mile speedway): May 20
World 600 - Charlotte Motor Speedway (1.5 mile speedway): May 27

Budweiser 400 - Riverside International Raceway (2.62 mile road course): June 3
Van Scoy Diamond Mine 500 - Pocono International Raceway (2.5 mile speedway): June 10
Miller High Life 400 - Michigan International Speedway (2 mile speedway): June 27

Firecracker 400 - Daytona International Speedway (2.5 mile superspeedway): July 4
Pepsi 420 - Nashville Speedway (0.596 mile short track): July 14
Like Cola 500 - Pocono International Raceway (2.5 mile speedway): July 22
Talladega 500 - Alabama International Motor Speedway (2.66 mile speedway): July 29

Champion Spark Plug 400 - Michigan International Speedway (2 mile speedway): August 12
Busch 500 - Bristol International Speedway (0.533 mile short track): August 25

Southern 500 - Darlington Raceway (1.366 mile speedway): September 2
Wrangler Sanfor-Set 400 - Richmond Fairgrounds Raceway (0.542 mile short track): September 9
Delaware 500 - Dover Downs International Speedway (1 mile speedway): September 16
Goody's 500 - Martinsville Speedway (0.526 mile short track): September 23

Miller High Life 500 - Charlotte Motor Speedway (1.5 mile speedway): October 7
Holly Farms 400 - North Wilkesboro Speedway (0.625 mile short track): October 14
Warner W. Hodgdon American 500 - North Carolina Motor Speedway (1.017 mile speedway): October 21

Atlanta Journal 500 - Atlanta International Raceway (1.522 mile speedway): November 11
Winston Western 500 - Riverside International Raceway (2.62 mile road course): November 18
Last edited by Salamander on 11 Apr 2020, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.
Everything's great.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

BONNETT GOES BACK-TO-BACK AT THE BUSCH CLASH
A nail-biter from start to finish, experience proved absolutely essential in the end to secure victory in the 50-mile sprint that is the Busch Clash, and experience is exactly what Alabama's Neil Bonnett brought to the table. The winner of the 1983 running, driving the car that won the 1982 event, Bonnett calmly picked his way through a multi-car spin on lap 8 to emerge as one of the main contenders for the $50,000 winners' prize. Duelling for the lead with Ron Bouchard and Geoff Bodine, Bonnett appeared to be the easy favourite among the leading trio, but the situation became a little more complicated once Cale Yarborough and Tim Richmond began working together to catch back up.

A five-car battle royale for the win ensued, and it was difficult to pick a winner from any of them. Bonnett himself almost lost the leading draft when they came around to lap the delayed Buddy Baker, himself a victim of the earlier lap 8 spin. However, that misfortune may have proved the deciding factor for Bonnett, as it enabled him to avoid any contact in a minor scrape with 3 laps remaining. Yarborough, attempting to push Bouchard to the lead, made contact with the #47 car's rear bumper, with Richmond as involved as Bouchard heroically saved his car from a spin. The incident seemed to cause some minor aerodynamic damage to the #12 car of Richmond, which hampered any hopes he had of taking the win, while Yarborough was forced to lift, allowing Bonnett into 3rd with 2 laps to go.

Despite making contact with Richmond's car, Bouchard himself suffered no ill-effects, as he prepared to line-up a potential race-winning pass on Geoff Bodine - however, Yarborough and Bonnett were not to be written off so quickly. The pair quickly drafted up to the leading pair, with Bonnett swiftly disposing of his drafting partner on their way into turn 1. With a full head of steam as they rounded the first pair of corners, Bonnett used all of his experience and skill to intimidate Bodine into surrendering the lead, as Bouchard followed him through into 2nd. Bouchard's car, however, was not nearly as strong as Bonnett's and as he struggled to fully clear Bodine, Bonnett was able to pull away by a few car lengths - enough to maintain his advantage until the checkered flag flew.

As mentioned before, a multi-car spin caused a number of cars to fall from contention, though, incredibly, none were forced to retire, and in fact, no caution was thrown at all. The incident occurred on lap 8, off of turn 4, when Buddy Baker in the #71 car got exceedingly close the the #5 car of Terry Labonte. Labonte's car got very loose and spun from the lead, sweeping across and taking Ricky Rudd with him into the infield. Baker bounced back into the outside wall, collecting Jody Ridley and Joe Ruttman, neither of whom had anywhere to go. Tim Richmond was also caught up in the spin, as Baker, Ridley, and Ruttman came back down the track - though thankfully for him, he wasn't swept into a spin. Darrell Waltrip managed to avoid taking any damage himself, but he had to lift way out of the gas to miss the spin, which eliminated him from contention for the win.

Full Results

Edit: Please note that the Busch Clash is an exhibition race open only to drivers who won a pole in the previous season.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Because I'm eager to get things going, here's the opening race results - sadly without screenshots of the action because I'm a dumbass and forgot to save the replay. :facepalm:

KYLE DEFEATS RICHARD IN LAST-LAP DUEL
When Kyle Petty lined up behind his father on the final lap, every single person in Daytona at that moment expected him to push Richard Petty, the undisputed King of stock car racing, to his 8th Daytona 500 victory, and 199th win in Cup competition. Instead, Kyle, searching for his own shot of glory, ducked low in turns 3 and 4, snatching the biggest win of his life, and silencing the naysayers in one fell swoop. Kyle, still shy of his 24th birthday, joins the list of NASCAR's youngest winners - a list that includes such legendary names as his father, Richard Petty, as well as Fireball Roberts, Junior Johnson, and Parnelli Jones.

A bitterly fought race from start to finish, there will be a number of drivers leaving Daytona wondering what might have been. Two of those are certainly Ricky Rudd and Terry Labonte, who sustained heavy crashes in their pursuit of victory, but were lucky to escape injury. Both were well enough to point the finger of blame at other drivers - Rudd had quite a few sharp words for A.J. Foyt, whose recovery from a spin put him right in the path of the unwitting #21 driver. The more reserved Labonte still had a few critical words for Ronnie Thomas, who made an ill-advised move to block Clark Dwyer whilst 9 laps down to Dwyer, who was still in contention for the win at the time.

Another competitor who made few friends on the track was Tim Richmond. Though his aggressive driving style - and off-track antics - earned him plenty of new admirers among the fans in attendance, it certainly didn't win over Harry Gant, who accused Richmond of intentionally spinning him in the latter stages of the race, triggering a wreck which would take Gant, Buddy Baker, and Lake Speed out of the fight for the win. Darrell Waltrip, when asked for comment on his young teammate, simply stated that Richmond 'would quickly learn his place'. Richmond placed 4th at the finish, his being the car that both Petty's had to team up to win against.

The race was also one to remember for the underdogs in the sport. Owner-driver Jimmy Means scored the first top 5 finish of his career with a brilliant drive to 3rd, aided by a late caution for another underdog story that didn't have such a happy ending. Greg Sacks, in only his 6th career start, contended with the frontrunners until the latter stages of the race, when he had to pit for fuel and tyres. An improperly fitted left-front wheel wound up falling off, and consigning the Modified star from New York to 17th overall. Ken Ragan and Dick Trickle also took home impressive top 10 finishes, with Ragan sensationally leading with only 3 laps to go, before Richmond forced his way past.

Full Results
Everything's great.
Kinnikuniverse

Post by Kinnikuniverse »

Holy crap, kyle doing a really ballsy move! The king must've been smiling like crazy behind his helmet.

Shame for terry, though it wasn't his fault, getting hit by a sunday driver.