BTCC 2001 - _gg_, chassis plans please

The place for non-canon series, including all series that contain minimal or no references at all to the RWRS universe
Frogfoot9013

Re: BTCC 2001 - works teams announced, driver bids pls pls

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Team: John Batchelor Racing
User: Mise
Car: idk, I haven't any m o n e
Driver: John Batchelor
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Driver RNGs - Whopper post, part 1

With the silly season in full swing, teams scuttled around to try and secure the optimal line-up for their 2001 challenge.

First up, we have Marc Hynes who received an offer of 30k from Barwell. The former F3 ace struggled to crack the F3000 sphere, and faces a year on the sidelines in 2001. With this in mind, he grasps Barwell's offer with both hands!

- - -

Laurent Aiello is up next. The 1999 Champion has an offer to return with Triple 8, but he also has an offers to drive Audis in DTM and ALMS, which excite him a bit more than the prospect of pootling around in a Vauxhall Astra Coupe.
1-10 - Return to the BTCC with Triple 8
11-100 - Stick to pedalling a juiced up Audi TT in DTM with the promise of some ALMS shenanigans.
88! Aiello doesn't give Triple 8 much thought, and sticks to the continent.

- - -

Fresh from that rejection, Triple 8 turn to Vincent Radermecker. The Belgian drove for the team in 2000, and with very little on the horizon for 2001 is very enticed by the prospect of staying for 2001.
1-95 - Unlike Laurent, I love the shapely new Vauxhall Astra Coupe.
96-100 - Only joking, I hate the ungainly new Vauxhall Astra Coupe.
46! Radermecker entertains the thought of returning to Belgium, but sticks with Triple 8 for another year.

- - -

With seat numero uno wrapped up, Triple 8 now turn their attentions to Toni Ruokenen for the second seat. The Finn has impressed in the NSCC, but his drive is very much dependent on sponsorship, with Triple 8 after 30k of sponsorship money.

1-40 - 10k
41-80 - 20k
81-100 - 30k
44! Unfortunately for Ruokenen, the good people of Espoo appear to have all misspelled the name on their cheques, meaning a certain "Mr Raikkonen" all of a sudden is going into 2001 with a lot of money to spend. Whatever will he do? Anyways, the upshot for young Toni is that he is 10k short of what Triple 8 wanted, but with very little else open for him he's happy to cross his fingers and hope.

- - -

Triple 8 had bargained for this eventuality, and also offered Tommy Erdos the seat, on the condition he also stumps up 30k. The Brazilian has proven himself to be quick in GTs, but will he take the hump at being expected to pay for his drive?

First up, how much will Tommy bring?
1-10 - You expect me to pay for this? No thanks.
11-50 - I want to move to the BTCC so here's 10k
51-90 - 20k, you've no idea how much pride swallowing this took
91-100 - 30k, I'm a broken man now.
15! Tommy manages to scrape together 10k, meaning that Triple 8 now have to choose between Erdos and his 10k or Ruokenen and his 20k.

- - -

Next we have JS Motorsport, who have offered Kelvin Burt a nice 45k to drive for the year. Kelvin has very little else lined up for 2001, so gratefully accepts.

- - -

Prodrive are next, having offered Darren Turner a very handsomely paid drive. Turner's head is swayed by the prospect of a big paycheque, but he also has his foot in the door with McMerc, testing for Ron Dennis's boys as well as having a Mercedes drive in DTM lined up.

1-45 - Prodrive
46-100 - Stick to McMerc
60! Darren gives the matter some thought but decides better the devil you know.

- - -

2000 runner-up Anthony Reid only has one offer, from Proton's crack outfit Team PSP. Having spent several years of his life willfully driving Nissan Primeras, the prospect of being seen as an ambassador for the new Proton Impian doesn't bother him at all. He accepts.

- - -

Roger Moen is also being targetted by Team PSP. Having dabbled in the BTCC in the 90's before dropping down to the NSCC, Moen is keen to make a comeback and duly accepts. The only matter to iron out is just how much money he brings.

1-30 - 20k
31-55 - 30k
56-80 - 40k
81-100 - 50k
93! Moen is able to provide a full 50k towards his seat, completely off-setting his salary, completing Team PSP's line-up.

- - -

Next on the cards is Justin Wilson, a man so tall he'd fit right in in the genetic freakshow we like to call the GP Rejects Discord. His sole offer is a reasonably well paid seat with newboys ABG, but given that his F3000 career appears to be taking off and Eddie Jordan is in his ear about a testing seat, he declines.

- - -

Wilson's rebuttal opens the door for affable Northerner Warren Hughes to take the first ABG seat, which he snaps up.

- - -

ABG's wild optimism continues, when they somehow grab hold of rising Stateside star, Dan Wheldon. Mr Wheldon is flattered by the interest, but has no intention of giving up his burgeoning career in the American open-wheel scene.

- - -

Undeterred, ABG continue in their hunt of an open-wheel convert. Next in the crosshairs is BAR test driver and F3000 entrant, Darren Manning. Having been made aware by BAR that his services won't be required for 2001, Manning is determined to get back on the horse and make it into F1 for good. However, the offer of a salaried drive in the BTCC tickles his fancy every so slightly.

1-10 - so offended by being cast aside by the people who gave Ricardo Zonta two years in F1, Manning joins ABG
11-100 - so offended by being cast aside by the people who gave Ricardo Zonta two years in F1, Manning vows to carry on in F3000 and have his revenge.
7! Surprisingly, Manning closes the door on his open-wheel career in favour of a paid drive in tintops.

- - -

Next we have the freshly monied Team Dynamics. Having secured the plum Jaguar works deal, they've set their sights high. Very high in fact, as their priority is landing former F1 winner Johnny Herbert. Cheeky chappy Johnny is intrigued by the offer and appreciates that he can just re-use his 2000 set of overalls, but he also has an offer to race prototypes in the ALMS with a crack at Le Mans thrown in.

1-40 - Johnny rides again in the Jaaaaaaaag
41-100 - Johnny goes Stateside
45! It's a very close run thing, but Johnny decides that the allure of extremely high performance cars is too strong to resist, and thus he says thanks but no thanks to Team Dynamics.

- - -

Undeterred, Team Dynamics switch their attentions to 1994 champion, Gabriele Tarquini. The affable Italian has an offer to compete in the European championship in a Super Tourer which has turned his head, but having settled in the UK over the last few years he wouldn't be averse to staying.

1-60 - Gabriele returns to the continent.
61-100 - Ooooh! It's Tarquini! stays in the BTCC
64! There's a lot of umming and ahhing, but ultimately Gabriele signs for Team Dynamics.

- - -

Team Dynamics also appear to have gone mad for pay-drivers. First up is fan favourite, Andy Neate. "Handy Andy", as he is known for his car control and ability to control the red mist while driving, has expressed his willingness to stump up 120k for a seat; however, TD have set the price to be 150k. Andy however is very tempted by the prospect of what appears to be a plum seat for 2001.

1-35 - You're only getting 120k.
36-70 - We're going to push the boat out, 135k
71-100 - Why not, let's go the whole hog. 150k.
91! Andy Neate brings 150k to the table.

- - -

Next on the menu for Steve Neal and his boys is Nick Beaumont. Beaumont has 100k freely available, but Team Dynamics want 150k from him.

1-50 - Just the 100k
51-80 - Fine, 120k
81-100 - I will do anything up to and including giving you the full 150k for this drive
34! Beaumont decides to offer a take it or leave it ultimatum to TD, refusing to provide any more backing than his 100k.

- - -

Come one, come all, to the next edition of "Which paydriver are Team Dynamics going to try and extort now?" Today's lucky entrant is Marc Nordon, who ran a few Class B races for John Bintcliffe's team last season before deciding to create a start-up company, dabbling in low-cost race cars. Nordon has made it clear he's willing to take 100k out of the company to sweeten the deal for any team looking to sign him, but TD want the customary 150k

1-60 - "Just" the 100k, he's not going to bankrupt his own company
61-85 - a TD seat is tempting, 120k
86-100 - I will literally stab a baby for this opportunity, 150k
42! Marc "Fiscal Responsibility" Nordon politely tells TD all he has to offer is the originally stated 100k.

- - -

The final man for the time being is Hyla Breese. Once again, he's got 100k to burn but Team Dynamics want 150k.

1-60 - Just 100k
61-85 - I can stretch to 120k
85-100 - If you don't ask you don't get, 150k
97! Breese is happy to stump up the full 150k for the TD seat.

- - -

To celebrate their new works status with BMW, WSR have offered Jorg Muller the drive. He is currently pedalling Beemers round in the ALMS, but a small part of him would like a return to Europe.

1-70 - stay in the ALMS
71-100 - join the BTCC
98! Muller is all too happy to move to Britain and try to emulate Smokin' Jo Winklehock.

- - -

Next up is Dan Eaves and his fat stacks of Halfords cash. Team PSP were sniffing around initially but Moen beat him to the seat, leaving a clear run for GA Motorsport to nab him.

- - -

David Pinkney is up next. He's willing to stump up 120k for a drive, and has two suitors - GA Motorsport and everyone's favourite scabs, Team Dynamics. Obviously though, TD aren't happy with 120k, they want the full 150k.

1-60 - Put off by TD's begging bowl, Pinkney joins Eaves at GA
61-100 - Pinkney accepts that the better seats require bigger wallets.
13! Pinkney joins Eaves at GA, completing a very well funded and rather decent all things considered line-up.

- - -

Annie Templeton and Alan Blencowe both now only have one offer due to this - join the Team Dynamics m o n e train. Both have 100k to throw, TD want 150k from both.

1-60 - Just 100k
61-85 - I can stretch to 120k
85-100 - If you don't ask you don't get, 150k
68 and 51 respectively. Templeton can provide 120k, Blencowe 100k.

- - -

Young Scot Gordon Shedden was as surprised as any when WSR offered him the third seat, with a nice salary to boot. He gratefully accepts.

- - -

Due to Team PSP and ABG both signing drivers ahead of him in their wishlist, Simon Harrison joins GR Motorsport.

- - -

Matt Neal is one of the few drivers not targetted by his father's outfit, with only Prodrive and GR after him. Harrison's deal with GR closes that door, so Neal gratefully accepts the seat with Prodrive.

- - -

John Batchelor obviously joins his own team. The man is nuts, but not that nuts.

- - -

Alan Morrison is also approached by GR. The Northern Irishman has no other offers, so accepts.

- - -

Jason Plato has three offers - stay with Triple 8, join the madhouse at Team Dynamics, or join the og madhouse that is Vic Lee Racing. All three offers have the same pay, so the only thing swaying Plato is a slight sense of loyalty to Triple 8.

1-40 - Stick with Triple 8
41-70 - Join Team Dynamics
71-100 - Sign for Vic Lee and get all the testing trips at Zandvoort a man could ever want.
25! Plato elects to stick with Triple 8.

- - -

I still have a few to run, I'll get round to them tomorrow. I've spent all day flitting between work and the rng furnace, and now I think I'm blind.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
takagi_for_the_win

Rather anti-climatically, I only had three RNGs left when I bailed yesterday. Nevertheless, here they are!

First on the wagon today is Alain Menu. The reigning champion has established himself as one of the finest front wheel drive racers in the world in recent years, but fancies a move to a more exotic series - DTM in particular. However, he does have enticing offers from Triple 8, Prodrive, WSR, and an ever so slightly less well paid offer from VLR.

1-40 - Alain goes off to DTM
41-50 - VLR get their man
50-66 - Triple 8 get their man
67-83 - WSR get their man
84-100 - Alain stays with Prodrive.
85! In a surprise move, Menu decides to turn his back on his DTM aspirations and commits to Prodrive for the first year of the new era.

- - -

With that in mind, we turn to the other super in-demand bloke, Yvan Muller. The talented Frenchman has three offers now that the Prodrive door has been jammed shut, from VLR, Triple 8, and WSR. The WSR seat offers a higher salary than the other two, but beyond that there isn't much to choose between them.

1-30 - Triple 8
31-60 - VLR
61-100 - WSR
86! Yvan Muller snaps up the WSR offer, and goes to join new teammate Jorg with a celebratory yoghurt in the WSR motorhome.

- - -

Finally, we have 1998 champion Rickard Rydell. The Swede has made it clear that he's not a fan of the slower generation of new cars, and is keen on a return to his native Sweden to race Super Tourers. However, he does have a well paid seat on offer at VLR.

1-70 - Rickard returns to Sweden
71-100 - Rick teams up with Vic
11! Rydell is fairly up-front in his desire to return to Sweden, and gets his move to the STCC, leaving VLR in a fairly uncomfortable position.

- - -

With all that said and done, the long and short of these RNGs on the driver market is as such:

Barwell Motorsport - Marc Hynes
Vic Lee Racing - TBA
Triple 8 Racing - Vincent Radermecker, Jason Plato, one of Tommy Erdos and his 10k or Toni Ruokenen and his 20k
JS Motorsport - Kelvin Burt
Prodrive - Alain Menu and Matt Neal
Team PSP - Anthony Reid and Roger Moen
ABG Motorsports - Warren Hughes and Darren Manning
Team Dynamics - James Thompson, Gabriele Tarquini, and some unholy combination of Alan Blencowe, Annie Templeton, Andy Neate, Nick Beaumont, and Marc Nordon
GR Motorsport- Simon Harrison and Alan Morrison
West Surrey Racing - Jorg Muller, Yvan Muller, and Gordon Shedden
GA Motorsports - Dan Eaves and David Pinkney
John Batchelor - John Batchelor

Peteroli, you need to decide if you'd rather Tommy Erdos or Toni Ruokenen in the third car; _gg_, you've been utterly shafted by the RNG so you're going to need to rethink your driver choices; Herrmann, Jaguar have decided they don't want to have loads of mobile chicanes in their new X-Type so you have to pick just the one :P

Budgets have been updated in the spreadsheet, so everyone has an idea of the money they have to play with. With that in mind, ye can progress with chassis plans!

When posting your chassis plans, can you please post using the following template:

Team name:
User:
Chassis Tier:
Car: (if you're a works team don't bother with this, I'll not be reading it)

As mentioned in the opening post way back when, cars get progressively cheaper the more you build. I'm also going to assume, unless explicitly posted, that you're all going to be building one car per driver. For the first season of this, ye don't need to worry about cars being written off in big crashes or anything, so one car per driver will do :P
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

Team name: BMW Team WSR
User: Dom
Chassis Tier: A
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
Hermann95
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hermann95 »

Team name: Jaguar Team Dynamics
User: Hermann95
Chassis tier: A
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Team name: Team PSP
User: Rob Dylan
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
_gg_

Post by _gg_ »

VLR offers Tim Harvey and James Kaye with Colin Blair if one of them rejects the offer.
takagi_for_the_win

_gg_ wrote:VLR offers Tim Harvey and James Kaye with Colin Blair if one of them rejects the offer.

Assuming that both Harvey and Kaye were being offered the base rates (80k and 40k respectively), both gleefully accept.

TD, as per the Discord chat, have elected to go with Andy Neate for their third car, completing their line-up.

There's every chance I missed a message from Triple 8 on the Discord, so if Peteoli could confirm which of Ruokenen and Erdos he'd rather hire that would be tremendous.

If everyone who hasn't posted chassis plans could do so pls and thanks, that would speed things along nicely.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Bleu

Re: BTCC 2001 - pls post chassis plans

Post by Bleu »

Team name: JS Motorsport
User: Bleu
Chassis Tier: B
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Team Name: 888 Racing

Vauxhall will sign Ruokonen
Vauxhall would also like to sogn David Leslie for its 4th Astra we will offer him 90K

Should he sign Plato and Leslie will run under the Vauxhall Motorsport Banner
Radermacker and Ruokonen will run under the Egg Sport Banner
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Team Name: Team B&Q (John Batchelor is now John B&Q)
Owner: mé féin
Car: Proton Persona
Tier: E
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

GR Motorsport made some mistakes in budgeting for the season but we will not back down.
We'll build two E tier Seat Toledos and hope for a successful season in order to lure the the Spanish to get us out of debt next season :deletraz:
Shawn040217

Post by Shawn040217 »

Team Name : Prodrive
Car : Honda Accord
Chassis Tier : A
takagi_for_the_win

Peteroli34 wrote:Vauxhall will sign Ruokonen
Vauxhall would also like to sogn David Leslie for its 4th Astra we will offer him 90K

Noted re Ruokenen, and as Leslie's only other offer is pootling around America in a Mazda 626, he gladly accepts.

Re chassis plans, I'm assuming that Aislabie and TCBY are happy with the chassis tier plans they posted on the last page? If that's the case, then I believe _gg_ is the last person we're waiting for on that front. :P If I've missed anything out please holler, I've picked arguably the worst time possible to start a series given that a) it's quarter end and b) I'm bang in the middle of actuarial exams, so all three of my braincells are a bit more taxed than normal.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
_gg_

Re: BTCC 2001 - _gg_, chassis plans please

Post by _gg_ »

Team name: VLR
User: GG

Sorry you guys, I missed this one.
Aislabie

Re: BTCC 2001 - _gg_, chassis plans please

Post by Aislabie »

Barwell will go for a C-Tier MG chassis please