F1 Rejects Track Designing Competition

The place for alternate championships that use real results as a base of forming alternative results, driver careers, and games in general
Aislabie

Re: F1 Rejects Track Designing Competition

Post by Aislabie »

This Could Be You wrote:
Aislabie wrote:I'm hoping that this layout in Valletta is just bonkers enough that you like it. It's sort of a mad blend of Monaco, Macau, Alcaniz and Salzburg. It'd really be one of those video game fantasy circuits, but it's fun.

Sorry, but as far as I can tell GO TV Malta (which I assume is the broadcaster you're basing this entry off), is actually based in Marsa, not Valletta- the "Valletta Studios" your entry is presumably based are in fact studio flats. Unless you can prove that GO have their main studios near your circuit, I'm afraid you'll have to think up a new circuit...

I've used their Head Office which I believe is the right company.
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

Aislabie wrote:
This Could Be You wrote:
Aislabie wrote:I'm hoping that this layout in Valletta is just bonkers enough that you like it. It's sort of a mad blend of Monaco, Macau, Alcaniz and Salzburg. It'd really be one of those video game fantasy circuits, but it's fun.

Sorry, but as far as I can tell GO TV Malta (which I assume is the broadcaster you're basing this entry off), is actually based in Marsa, not Valletta- the "Valletta Studios" your entry is presumably based are in fact studio flats. Unless you can prove that GO have their main studios near your circuit, I'm afraid you'll have to think up a new circuit...

I've used their Head Office which I believe is the right company.

Yep, that seems like the right place- you're entry's fine then (I think I may have missed on the map first time :facepalm: )
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

I didn't want to give a reminder since even with the long delays, This Could Be You seemed to be keeping an eye on the thread... but it's well into voting time if anyone cares to.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
This Could Be You

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:I didn't want to give a reminder since even with the long delays, This Could Be You seemed to be keeping an eye on the thread... but it's well into voting time if anyone cares to.

I'll get to scoring in within the next day; unfortunately the entries for this challenge came in very slowly and by the time there was a decent amount I was (and am still to be honest) inundated with school work, as those in the 18m-Debut Forum may have already noticed. This shouldn't take too long though, i hope...

UPDATE: here are the results from the Lazy Broadcaster Challenge

8. Dexter249. While this layout is near TSN's headquarters and within the distance limit, just about everything else about the layout is problematic at best, with ridiculously long straights leading to 90 degree turns and strange kinks, but the most concerning elements are right next to the studio- as far as I can tell, this circuit will cause a massive pileup as two opposing sections of the course loop back on themselves- in two places! While it [i]may[i] make good television ( ;) ), it also means it's not really a proper circuit. (this is of course assuming that the 3km-long straights aren't actually the pitlane, which would be even more concerning...)

7. Gonzalez: This layout, while perfectly acceptable, is a bit on the dull side (even if it has a little bit of a mini-Nordschiefle feel from the aerial view) and repetitive, and there are a few too many 90 degree turns for my liking.

6. Bleu: This is a decent layout, but I've had to dock it slightly as it is somewhat stretching the premise of the challenge- while 4KM from the studio isn't much in TV terms, it also means that Fuji TV is effectively in a completely different part of Tokyo (perhaps I should have quantified this rule in hindsight :facepalm: )

5. UngcreativeUsergname: The first few corners are pretty good, as are the ones near the end, but too many of the ones in the middle are perpendicular to the next straight, which makes it a little boring. Plus it's on a particularly grim looking industrial estate, which wouldn't help in this regard.

4. AdrianBelmonte: A good entry only prevented from making the podium by being a little generic, and the section by the "Gabana Club" is a little Formula E esque. In fact, this would actually make a very good Formula E circuit if it were shorter.

3. WaffleCat: A good street circuit, with a couple of fast corners to stretch the 2017 cars' legs (well, wheels or something... that idiom really sounds weird if you think about it), and some good semi-hairpins to catch drivers out. It only really suffers from a lack of flow between these corners, plus that slightly iffy kink as it crosses the motorway.

2. Aislabie: It's insane, but unlike Dexter249's entry, it works too! There's a good amount going on on this circuit, perhaps even too much, but it would produce an exciting race for sure. It's a pity about the square section adjacent to the Embassay of Turkey, as it doesn't really fit the circuit and kind of ruins it for me a little.

1. TheFlyingCaterham: The main standout feature of this circuit is how cohesive it is (for a street circuit) over a whole lap- the corners are pretty good on their own, but together they produce a really nice flow that would suit high-downforce 2017 cars, as well as having technical sections to slow things down, one conveniently next to Arena Sports erm... arena, for ease of filming. The picturesque coastal location also does this circuit many favours.

So it's up to TheFlyingCaterham to think up some new challenge for us to use up GMapPedometer's server space with!
Your Signature Here

Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

As I've inherited the right to set our next challenge(?), I would like you to put together an F1-appropriate street circuit in the Netherlands for the Max Verstappen Grand Prix.

I've left that deliberstely vague for y'all.
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

Erm, I think I may not have realised the standings were actually up for the previous challenge. Not sure how I missed it, but ok then. I'm not going to steal the challenge off you since I can't really think up one myself.

As for the track, I present the Circuit Maastricht, a 5.1km circuit twisting through the streets of Maastricht. It has a good mix of fast and slow corners, with a couple of good overtaking zones as well. A lot of repaving would need to be done to get rid of some dividers and generally widen some of the narrow roads, but I'm sure Max's fans would have no second thought about helping out with what is essentially his race.

http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=653377
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

The circuit with ample space for a pit complex, a long turn that leavess Sochi's Turn 3 and Istanbul's Turn 8 crying in a corner and a road-widening worker's wet dream, this is the Eindhoven Grand Prix
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7157441

About 5,5 km and it should have one iconic corner - long roundabout.
UncreativeUsername37

Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Gonzalez

Post by Gonzalez »

Almere Circuit: http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=654004

Note: Do apologise for the funny highway road system in the region, but am pretty sure some roads can be widened in order to fit their standards.
This Could Be You

Here's my attempt, the 5.15KM Haarlem Circuit, near Zandvoort, featuring some sweeping corners along with some regrettable 90 degree turns (also, the pit exit would really need a tree cut down, but i'm sure that could be sorted quickly)
Your Signature Here

UncreativeUsername37

It's voting time! Or judging time. I don't really care which.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:It's voting time! Or judging time. I don't really care which.

My apologies, I have two uni deadlines this week so this will get done as soon as I've finished the second essay.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

1/ Emmen Circuit (UgncreativeUsergname)
A really simple, flowing circuit. I don't really have anything to criticise about it, which puts it top of my list.

2/ Circuit Maastricht (TheFlyingCaterham)
A really lovely, flowing street circuit... right up until that panhandle after Turn 11. If Turn 11 went left rather than right, that would have been a truly immense circuit.

3/ Haarlem Circuit (This Could Be You)
It's like the Emmen Circuit, if I drew the Emmen Circuit after I'd had a few and couldn't quite get the lines to flow as well. It's not your fault that those esses would have low cornering speeds - they're the roads you were working with - but they're just not quite Emmen.

4/ Almere Circuit (Gonzalez)
A very bold place to put a circuit, but presuming those roads do indeed get widened, it's certainly not my least favourite entry at all.

5/ Eindhoven Grand Prix Circuit (WaffleCat)
I do enjoy the novelty of the 360-degree Turn 6, but otherwise I'm afraid this circuit has about as much flow as the history essay I submitted just over an hour ago. And that's not very much!

6/ Circuit Nijmegen (Bleu)
So! Many! Pointy! Corners! I'm sorry, perhaps I'm biased, but I really don't like pointy corners.

Sorry if I've made any mistakes in there - I'm so tired I can barely write my own name.
UncreativeUsername37

Mateschitz Finally Puts Some More Corners In
Make the Red Bull Ring more downforce-dependent without ruining it in terms of fun corners or practicality. That's it.
Gertrand Bachot

Post by Gertrand Bachot »

This is my attempt at a new Red Bull Ring: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7163654
It utilises part of the old Osterreichring, reusing the Hella-Licht chicane, before heading off to a new section with some fairly slow-to-medium speed corner, before rejoining the current track just after the present turn 2, where it uses the current track apart from at turn 5, which has been made faster, with a wider approach into turn 6, and tourns 8 & 9 have been combined into 1 longer, faster corner, which make the track more downforce-dependent.
This Could Be You

Here's my revised Red Bull Ring, with 0.448KM worth of extra twisty bits, and severely curtailed straights. As a bonus, I've given names to the new corners:

Your Signature Here

Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Here's mine

Drivers run up the hill into the Castrol chicane, with a left-hand sweeper to reward drivers brave enough to hang it around the outside of turn one. This then feeds into Hella-Licht, a high-speed right-hander restored to its former glory.

There's then the all new Flatschah Stadium Section, which probably doesn't add any overtaking but does give a chance for spectators to get close to the action as well as making set-ups a bit more difficult for the teams. The cars then accelerate out of the stadium and into the Tiroch chicane and curve, which is the high point of the circuit.

A short downhill straight leads into the Remus chicane, a huge opportunity for locked brakes and
overtaking. Goesser, Lauda and Berger remain unchanged, before a tightened Rindt provides the final overtaking chance of the lap. The final turn has been reduced in profile and will now be called The Kink.

And that's a lap.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Red Bull Extra Ring

The section from turns 2 to 5 has an insane initial climb from turns 2 to 3, but drops down through four and five, joining the old Osterreichring. The old turn on the Oesterreich Ring was altered into a three-turn, fast-ish speed left-right-left, with the extension also making Gosser a more viable overtaking opportunity.

The final two changes were lengthening the radius of Lauda Kurve, making it just that little bit longer and more tedious to hang onto, and cutting inside of the final turn, making the last turn much more of a difficult sweep like the turn before.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
TheFlyingCaterham

http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=656672

Who said you needed to change the course that much? All I've done is gone to the original layout and added a new little extras here and there for practicality (the Hella-Licht Chicane and the chicane heading onto the Remus curve) and interest (the new set of esses around the Lauda curve and the overtaking spot at Rindt).

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
UncreativeUsername37

(The layout you're modifying will be called the A1-Ring, because saying things like "Red Bull Ring" or "the old track" would get a bit confusing.)

8. dr-baker
You brought back the old first turn, so I hope the land beyond it isn't an issue. Though I do like how the corners up to and including Remus gradually get slower, putting some variety in without ruining the flow. Though turn 2 should be a lot wider. Schlossgold is just more generic than before, but the final two new corners look fun, although again the last one could afford to be a lot wider.

And that's it. Comparing the new track with the A1-Ring, I'm not sure you actually made it more about downforce....

7. TheFlyingCaterham
You did what I said AdrianBelmonte_ should do at Hella-Licht and the infield section, and you did what I praised WaffleCat for in the northwest. And you did the same thing as Aislabie at the final two corners. And like dr-baker, it's questionable whether the new layout is more about downforce, which is why it's so low in the rankings. So read all of those reviews.

6. AdrianBelmonte_
The initial chicane having the middle corner as the one with a low radius doesn't look too enjoyable. And you've brought back the Österreichring turn 2, because what is safety. Then the new hairpin looks fun and all, but it doesn't really fit what I'm going for. For the infield, the two slow corners after Rauch should be one high-speed one, and though the new layout in that part isn't bad other than that, the section is about downforce anyway, and the new corners feel more generic.

5. Gertrand Bachot
This looks more like grip than downforce, and there are no corners I especially like anyway. The northwest bit in particular is very boring and unnatural. It isn't really interesting enough to bother with picking apart every single corner.

4. peteroli34
The chicane at the start is going to cause horrifying pileups a lot of the time. The rest of the initial section isn't bad, but it has a "local" feel to me that isn't right for an international track. The corner that crosses the A1-Ring looks great, though. Getting that apex perfect in qualifying looks scary.

Schlossgold has been changed from Schlossgold to some generic hairpin. Coming to Rauch, I'm not sure if it would be a just off-full throttle high-speed thrill or a just off-full throttle "I wish I was doing something right now". And it's a minor point, but the kink before it needs a radius. As it is it just prevents battles without adding anything when driving alone.

Würth is made a bit slower just for the sake of making it to a corner that stops the good flow the sector had going. The rest is, I don't know, it's okay. Each individual corner isn't bad, but as a whole it feels artificial and desperate.

3. WaffleCat
Turns 2 and 3 look fun to drive and actually unique. In a world of flat new racetracks where everything goes left, right, or straight, these corners come to remind you that there are three dimensions. Österreichring turn 2 is great, though I don't really know how to say it. We're just missing those kinds of corner in F1. New Würth looks fun, although the second corner doesn't have a lot of runoff, and the final corner might just be easy flat. And that kilometre-long straight, despite its waviness, that's not good for Red Bull.

2. This Could Be You
Immediately after the thrill of Klien, you're dumped into a chicane that doesn't fit with the rest of the track. Also, it looks like it'd be very straightlineable or have dangerously high kerbs. Marko looks satisfying, then Remus I'm not sure about. It would either stop the flow in its tracks or be really fun as you tried to convince basic physics to work with you as you brake through the kink.

Schlossgold looks really fun, so that's something. Trying to find the best method in terms of the line and braking through Würth and Berger looks interesting, and challenging once you do get it down. It's frantic, like what Remus hopefully is. The rest of the track is... okay. Pleasantly contenting but nothing special. Cut out the chicane and ignore Remus for something with less braking and you have a really good track.

1. Aislabie
This is Austria, not Australia, but I couldn't tell from the first two corners. Turn 3 isn't creative either, but in a good way; as you intended, it's a thrill and a reminder of history. Then the stadium section you're just sort of waiting through. You've established this flow and then you throw it away. I do like what Österreichring turn 2 has become, though. It's a chicanified high-speed corner in a good way, like the final version of Ostkurve at the old Hockenheim. Give the stadium section a quicker entry and you've got something nice....

The Remus chicane is in just the right place to work well from a driving perspective, you could sort of compare it to the one at Sonoma. The change to the final two corners I don't like; 13 still works for overtaking, and turns 1 and 11 take a bit of bravery, but there's nothing wrong with that. Longer straight and slower corner, less downforce, goes against the briefing. But overall, the track drives well and the layout feels natural. Despite 4 and 5, this is the one I'd least hate to see the Red Bull Ring be turned into.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Looks like it's me again.

Donington Park Challenge

It's 2009, and this is what you have to work with:

The Donington Park circuit. Famous, historic, and Bernie Ecclestone's choice to replace Silverstone as the host of the British Grand Prix. Your job is to propose changes to the layout that could make the idea of the 2010 British Grand Prix at Donington a reality.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

I won't beat about the bush here, I'm not expecting this to be much cop but here we go.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7165397

To explain my choices, I thought it would make sense to keep the first half of the circuit as is, mainly as it's a very fast, flowing circuit but also because I assume we're working on a hypothetically limited budget here. The main change I made was to open out McLeans into an extremely long, fast right hander that essentially bypasses Coppice as well. I figured that this would maintain the high-speed flow of the first half of the track as well as leading nicely onto Starkey's Straight. I'm not sure if this extension requires the purchase of any land, but there appears to be no major roadways impeded by this so extra costs should be kept low.

The other change I made was to add a small medium speed chicane halfway down the Melbourne Straight, which also had the effect of making the Melbourne Hairpin almost double-apexed. Again, this development wouldn't require the purchase of any land, so for the cash-strapped owners it would keep costs to a minimum as well as throwing open another challenge for the drivers.

Fully expecting last place here, any constructive criticism welcome and all that :P
TORA! TORA! TORA!
TheFlyingCaterham

http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=657233

I admit, this does look similar to the 2009 proposal, but I'd like to hope I changed enough things to have it count as my own extension design. I've also designed this layout so that the layouts that exist today are still useable without any modifications, and that the original paddock can still be used (though half of it would have to be temporary as Turn 2 cuts through it).

http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=657230

I also made the above design first, but while I do like it I think it takes too much away from the character of Donington Park, so I decided to not properly use it. I've posted it here anyways though because I can.

UncreativeUsername37

https://i.imgur.com/PUmxNiS.png
I know everyone's going to keep the northern half or so and change the southern one, so I decided to be different just to be different. Also I kept the original finish line.
AdrianBelmonte_

#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

#FreeGonzo
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Donington v2.0

Only got rid of Starkeys, replaced it with an uphill version of the Craner Curves, a downhill double-apex left, a right-left chicane where the first bit is actually faster than the second and converten McLean's into a long right hand hairpin.

Kept Coppice because it's awesome, but not to the extend of creating Coppicestoril...

This Could Be You

Here's my attempt at ruining revising Donington Park to meet whatever the FIA seems to want from a circuit (pointless fiddly bits, it seems):
Your Signature Here

Gertrand Bachot

Post by Gertrand Bachot »

The new Donington Park. Long live mediocrity!
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7166364
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I wanted to keep changes to a minimum. After all, part of the problem, if I remember correctly, was the disruptive effects of all the building works. So here's my attempt: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7167357

New start/finish straight location, with new pits on inside of track. Old pits would be kept near paddock area for support series. New first section would be Melbourne Loop, where the only other changes would happen: removal of chicane onto loop, lengthening of loop and a wider, longer hairpin corner, in an attempt to keep the track high-speed and flowing.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

I present you,

The Donington Park Disgrace
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7167462

New pits are built on the fields north of the original circuit. From 1-3½ kilometers we use the old circuit after which we take the Suzuka-esque underpass into the third sector with a bit more technical corners.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

1/ WaffleCat
This is almost exactly what I was looking for when I set the challenge: it retains all the character of the original Donington Park, while adding a new section that makes it a completely fresh Grand Prix challenge. Excellent work.

2/ TheFlyingCaterham
It is a lot like the proposals from the real 2009, but I really like your concept for the first sector. It's original, and it's only obliterating that which would be obsolete anyway with the new paddock area. Also, I like that it looks a little bit like a whale.

3/ CarloSpace
It's not a perfect circuit, but it's really original, retains the most classically Donington corners on the track and adds something that no other British track can offer. There's only one real reason I'm not making this the winner: Donington went bankrupt just trying to add an infield section and a new paddock. I just don't think they'd ever be able to afford all of this work, awesome as it would be.

4/ UgncreativeUsergname
I like that you've done something a little bit different by playing with the top half, and the changes you've made do rather put me in mind of the Sachsenring. I also think that flat-out kink at Turn 8 would be good fun in damp conditions and let's be honest: it's Donington. There will be wet conditions.

5/ Dr Baker
There's something very 1967 Norisring about this entry. While I like it, it doesn't really add much to the driving challenge of Donington.

6/ Peteroli34
I like the ideas you've put into this circuit (the long run down to Turn One, a technical portion and making the most of the classic esses) but they don't quite mesh for me (the hairpin would be horribly dangerous, there's an Indy Road chicane at T2 & T3, and only one obvious overtaking spot on the whole circuit).

7/ Takagi_for_the_win
I guess my main criticism is that you've just not really changed anything much, as you said. Although the long Fuji-style sweeper would be an amazing spectacle with the new-spec cars.

8/ This Could Be You
I like the infield bit; I dislike Turns 4 & 5. That's a pretty even balance, so I expect this'll end up about mid-table.

9/ AdrianBelmonte
I just don't think it flows. Although those three tight corners at the back-end of the lap could all be overtaking opportunities, I feel as if there would be so little rhythm in the lap beforehand that it wouldn't actually work out like that.

10/ Simtek
Hello Estoril, goodbye all the character of Donington Park Circuit. It was a brave gamble to pay almost no attention to the original track, but one which I couldn't bring myself to reward. Sorry!

11/ Gertrand Bachot
No.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Wooo! Time for me to set this up now:

The Flying Mile.

Most street circuits these days you would normally associate with tight and techinical circuits, like Monaco, Singapore, EVERY Indycar street circuit ever.

Yet, there are a select few that have had their time to open the taps. Back in the olden days, Spa and Longford were street circuits renowned for being flat out. Even today, there is an insanely long flat-out stretch at Baku. So, to give y'all something new, your circuit...

-- Has to be less than FIVE miles long.
-- Has to be on public roads, with minor adjustments allowed to smooth out roundabouts and so on...
-- Has to have a flat-out stretch ONE MILE LONG.

I can't wait to see what y'all come up with.

AdrianBelmonte_

Here we go for "the two Cypruses" for this one, definitely not going to happen given the political situation on that place, but still more challenging than the Akrotiri Bay track

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7170348
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky