F1 Rejects Track Designing Competition

The place for alternate championships that use real results as a base of forming alternative results, driver careers, and games in general
WaffleCat

F1 Rejects Track Designing Competition

Post by WaffleCat »

Brought over from here,this will feature you guys trying to post tracks that can beat Tilke,Hugenholtz and,most importantly,each other.

Rules are simple:

1:To enter,simply post a direct link to your track fitting to the theme be it on Google Maps or a photo or whatnot on this very page before the deadline.

2:One track per user.

3:Deadline will be set to two weeks after each contest starts.

4:Tracks are based on themes.The "winner" for each round will decide on his own theme.Winners and failures are decided by votes.

Previous Winners

Round 1-Airfield Circuits:Captain Hammer(http://www.f1rejects.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3583&start=280#p159388)
Round 2-Transfaga...however you spell it:tommykl
Round 3-Do better in Qingdao than Indycar:Benetton(The user,not the team)
Round 4-Helsinki Thunder V2:Warren Hughes
Round 5-The north bit of Down Under:Captain Hammer
Round 6-African Street circuit Suzuka Style:Jeremy McClean
Round 7-Kazakhstan Free-for-all:tommykl
Round 8-Liege,Belgique:WaffleCat
Round 9-Redesign a circuit for FORMOULEH OEN!:AndreaModa
Round 10-Shiteland Islands:Warren Hughes
Round 11-Mackem GP:Capitan Hammer
Round 12-Nouvelle Spa:Bleu
Round 13-High place in Eastern Europe:Aerond
Last edited by WaffleCat on 21 Oct 2012, 07:45, edited 4 times in total.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: F1 Rejects Track Designing Competition

Post by pasta_maldonado »

WaffleCat wrote:Brought over from here,this will feature you guys trying to post tracks that can beat Tilke,Hugenholtz and,most importantly,each other.

Rules are simple:

1:To enter,simply post a direct link to your track fitting to the theme be it on Google Maps or a photo or whatnot on this very page before the deadline.

2:One track per user.

3:Deadline will be set to two weeks after each contest starts.

4:Tracks are based on themes.The "winner" for each round will decide on his own theme.Winners and failures are decided by votes.

Previous Winners

Round 1-Airfield Circuits:Captain Hammer(http://www.f1rejects.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3583&start=280#p159388)
Round 2-
Just waiting for Mr Hammer to submit in his theme and we can get this going.

I suggest, and I repeat this is just a suggestion, that next up we do street circuits
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Okay, here is your design brief for the next round - the Transfagarasan Highway.

Follow these steps:

1) Go to the pedometer.
2) Search for "Lake Vidraru". You should be taken to somewhere in central Romania.
3) You will see a squiggly yellow line. This is the Transfagarasan Highway, voted by Top Gear as the greatest road in the world.

The Transfagarasan will form the basis of your circuit. There are several elements to the design brief that you must follow:

1) It must be between 4 and 6.5 kilometres in length. Any longer or shorter - even by a centimetre - and your entry will be disqualified.
2) At least three kilometres of the circuit should be on the highway itself; the rest may be used to link the circuit back up to itself.
3) You may not use the white road on the eastern side of Lake Vidraru.
4) Your circuit must be north of Capataneii Ungureni and south of Buda.

You have two weeks to complete this.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Alright,the rules are right above you as Captain Hammer said,so design away!

To clarify,the deadline is Thursday,21st June,1 pm GMT

Also,another rules clarification:

Those who choose the theme are,unfortunately,not allowed to enter as it may give themselves an unfair advantage of thinking of what to design before the contest really begins.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Are you allowed to repave the forest to build your track?
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

tommykl wrote:Are you allowed to repave the forest to build your track?

I guess so,as there are practically no other public roads linking back to the Transfagarasan(I think I spelled that correctly)

Also,I'm eligible,so I'll submit my raceway for the Romanian GP:http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5500913

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Taking that into account, here is my entry: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5500945
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5500959

I managed to find a good section of track for this one, and there don't seem to be too many trees for me to cut down :lol:
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I too have had to add in my own link roads, because using existing ones is almost impossible to create a track that fills the criteria.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5500966

The track runs clockwise, with the start marker (the one with the black dot) placed on the start/finish straight which is steeply inclined. This leads into a sweeping, fast right-handed turn 1 and the track then joins the Transfagarasan Highway, as it tightens for turn 2. Opening out, turn 3 immediately follows, a long left handed turn that leads on to a short straight, The track is all the time dropping down gradually, with turn 4 a long right hander followed by a straight. This is broken up by turns 5 and 6, a quick left-right flick before the track curves slightly to the left before the heavy braking for the start of the slow twisty section that would comprise sector two.

Turn 7 is a tricky right hand hairpin as the track continues to drop away, and leads on to a kink left and a short straight. The more simple turn 8 left hand hairpin at the end of the straight is followed by the gradual turn 9, a right hand curve, before the third hairpin, the right handed turn 10. The altitude continues to fall as the long left of turn 11 leads into a kink and immediately afterwards the turn 12 left handed hairpin. Turn 13 is a fast, but tighter curve that feeds into the tightest section of the track, the turn 14/15 complex of back-to-back hairpins that concludes sector two.

After turn 15, and the start of sector three, it's hard acceleration for one of the longest straights on the circuit, with the track briefly leaving the highway, before returning to it for the fast left kink of turn 16 which leads into the heavy braking and right handed hairpin of turn 17. From there, the track finally reaches its lowest point, and begins to climb steeply once again, with a short connecting section between two parts of the highway and then finally leaving it for good prior to the final corner. Acceleration and traction are vitally important on this part for the long straight which is characterised by a couple of very fast kinks. The final corner, turn 18, is a fast, sweeping left hander that leads onto the main straight, to complete the circuit.

It's a mixture of fast sweeping corners and a tight, twisty sector two to split them, providing an interesting challenge to engineers to try and set the cars up to provide optimum performance.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I assume this is ok...

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5501061

It's got a mix of twisty bits, bends and straights.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

A beeter effort from me this time, with a mix of highway turns, fast corners, straight straights, and fast corners:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5501145
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

First off - to be honest, these stipulations are awful. I'd be surprised if any good track comes out of this. :?

My entry:
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/4485 ... ndprix.png

This is the home of the Romanian Grand Prix, 66 laps of fast-flowing corners with a few speedy bits. According to FIA regulations, 35 F1 cars may drive on the counter-clockwise track at best. After the start, a chicane awaits the drivers before they cross the purpose-build Munteanu Bridge which would also serve as the DRS zone (although safety concerns may move that zone to the straight before the below mentioned technical part). Turn 3 enters the highway section of the track which in itself offers high-speed flow, sadly interrupted by the nature of the highway with turns 8 and 10. The government refused to change the part of what is Turn 15, therefore making a rather odd hairpin. Turns 23, 24 and 25 (shortly before the 3 km mark), together with the final corner 29 make for the technical part of the track. Generally, this race can be described as a very challenging one for material and man, abusing the Pirelli tires and brakes with different demands. A true driver track which admittedly may lack overtaking compared to other F1 tracks but forces the drivers to show their true talent.

Off-topic: the pitlane is supposed to be parallel to the pitlane, however I did not get that properly done in Paint. Sorry.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Rejectful cityish run, including the crossing over two bridges: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5501347

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

Where is this 'Buda' that our tracks need to be south of?

EDIT: Found it! Although I think it makes most of your tracks illegal :lol:

EDIT 2: WaffleCat, tommykl, TMLW, AndreaModa (sadly, because it's awesome), BaconLettuceNinja and pasta_maldonado, your circuits are all north of Buda and therefore not within the rules Captain Hammer stipulated. I think we need the Captain now to clarify this.
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

So Buda's on the northern tip of the lake...and we're not allowed to the road on the lake's east side.

So, essentially, we'll all end up creating the same track...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Warren Hughes wrote:Where is this 'Buda' that our tracks need to be south of?

EDIT 2: WaffleCat, tommykl, TMLW, AndreaModa (sadly, because it's awesome), BaconLettuceNinja and pasta_maldonado, your circuits are all north of Buda and therefore not within the rules Captain Hammer stipulated. I think we need the Captain now to clarify this.

As BLN pointed out, everyone will be creating the same track. We have to use 3km of highway, and unless I'm very much mistaken the section of highway within the limits is about 3-5km.
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

pasta_maldonado wrote:

As BLN pointed out, everyone will be creating the same track. We have to use 3km of highway, and unless I'm very much mistaken the section of highway within the limits is about 3-5km.

No, it's a good deal longer than that, but I agree that the tracks will indeed all be very similar.

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Then here is my revised entry http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5501502

The start-finish straight is where the start marker is and the track goes clockwise. The straight is quite short, but leads into a heavy braking zone for turn 1. The track then bends left slightly before the quick left-right chicane for turns 2 and 3. The track leaves the highway in turn 4, a 90° right-hander and joins the purpose-built fast section of track, which consists of two medium-length straights separated by a medium-speed right-left-right chicane.

Sector 2 starts at the end of the second straight, just before turn 8, an almost flat-out left-hander to return to the highway. Another quick chicane leads to turn 11, a right hander leading onto the first and shortest of two bridges. After turn 12, the track turns into a series of short kinks leading to turn 18, the tightest of the circuit, before returning to a layout of kinks. Turn 23 leads onto a long straight followed by turns 24 and 25, a series of two 90° corners, ending sector 2.

Sector 3 continues where sector 2 left off, with seemingly randomly placed corners from turns 26 to 30. Turns 31 and 32 lead the driver left and then on a long right hander onto the circuit's second and longest bridge. Turn 33 is a quick right-hander that leads to the circuit's longest straight. A slower version of turns 31 and 32 leads the driver back to the highway, with a series of kinks to end the lap.

A mainly tight and twisty lap connected by two purpose-built fast sectors, tailor-made to annoy the race engineers.
Last edited by tommykl on 08 Jun 2012, 12:13, edited 1 time in total.

AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Warren Hughes wrote:EDIT 2: WaffleCat, tommykl, TMLW, AndreaModa (sadly, because it's awesome), BaconLettuceNinja and pasta_maldonado, your circuits are all north of Buda and therefore not within the rules Captain Hammer stipulated. I think we need the Captain now to clarify this.

Bollocks, I couldn't find it so just assumed it was in the area where the road started. Took me ages to work that one out as well! These regulations are a bit tight aren't they Captain?

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Budapest, to the west from Duna.
I could do a Buda track tomorrow, I just have to come up with a good idea of the start/finish line... (no I don't live there actually)

Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Buda is at the very top of the lake. As long as your track is eastwards and you see water you should be fine.
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

Shizuka wrote:

Budapest, to the west from Duna.
I could do a Buda track tomorrow, I just have to come up with a good idea of the start/finish line... (no I don't live there actually)

Shizuka have you actually read this thread? :lol:

Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Here is my revised route...
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5501768

(which is, I've unwittingly realised, is VERY similar to Klon's. My point kinda remains valid...)
Last edited by Ataxia on 07 Jun 2012, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

It's really down to who chooses the best section of the Transfagarasan, I think.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5501736
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

The comical thing about this challenge is that the topography makes basically every design impossible...

WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Warren Hughes wrote:The comical thing about this challenge is that the topography makes basically every design impossible...

Unless someone uses the Mountain Shredder 3000 that can wipe away entire mountains faster than Bruno Giacomelli can lap a Life around Imola.(Then again,you can probably jog round the track faster than that.)

pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Here's my revised effort: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5501748

The lap:

Across the start finish line at the crest of a hill,(Straight with 5km placemark, anti-clockwise) it leads into turn 1, a sweeping down-hill left hander, that leads into the Michelisz straight. The straight leads into the tight turn 2, the track rises a little and sweeps to the right, with braking for the hairpin (turn3) commencing at the crest of the hill. Turn 3 is the tightes corner on the track, a 180 degree hairpin, which loeads on to turn 4, again, tight and slow, leading on to the first section of Transfagarasan Highway. The Highway is broken up by turns 5 and 6, a fast chicane to break up the flow as the track hugs the mountain side. A slight tap on the breaks precedes the right handed turn 7 that leads into heavy braking for turn 8, a 150 degree left hander. A short straight leads to turn 9,a slow left hander, before the track opens out through the seeping turn 10 onto the purpose-built HWNSNBM straight. Almost topping out in 7th gear, and with the DRS open, travelling at about 195mph, Turn 11, a sweeping uphill left hander, is taken flat, taking the track back onto the Highway. Turn 12 requires heavy braking, the right hander leading into a short straight which links to turn 13, which is an acceleration zone taking the track off the highway. A straight leads into turn 14, another fast left that tightens as the corner progresses. The runup to turn 15 is uphill, braking for 15 commencing just after the crest. 15 is another tight hairpin, which opens out downhill into turn 16, taken completely flat-out. DRS can be opened through 16, with the track levelling off at the apex of the track and climbing back uphill to meet the start finish line
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

God that highway looks rejectful for holding a race there! Though I could see why Top Gear would enjoy travelling there!
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

WaffleCat wrote:Those who choose the theme are,unfortunately,not allowed to enter as it may give themselves an unfair advantage of thinking of what to design before the contest really begins.

Perhaps the winner could choose the best circuit, instead of putting things to a vote. It would allow the competition to progress a little faster.

tommykl wrote:Are you allowed to repave the forest to build your track?

Yes. The design brief clearly says that you can do that:

Captain Hammer wrote:1) It must be between 4 and 6.5 kilometres in length. Any longer or shorter - even by a centimetre - and your entry will be disqualified.
2) At least three kilometres of the circuit should be on the highway itself; the rest may be used to link the circuit back up to itself.

Warren Hughes wrote:EDIT: Found it! Although I think it makes most of your tracks illegal :lol:

Yes, I have noticed that. Guys, the circuit needs to be along this section of roadway:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5502049

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:So Buda's on the northern tip of the lake...and we're not allowed to the road on the lake's east side.

That was a mistype on my part. You can only use the yellow roads on the EAST side of the lake. You cannot use the white roads on the WEST side.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Captain Hammer wrote:
WaffleCat wrote:Those who choose the theme are,unfortunately,not allowed to enter as it may give themselves an unfair advantage of thinking of what to design before the contest really begins.

Perhaps the winner could choose the best circuit, instead of putting things to a vote. It would allow the competition to progress a little faster.

I think the winner of the previous challenge could have a say in who takes the best track or the most rejectful track,but I still want the voting system in place to give F1 Rejects a chance to vote.I'll try to work out a better system in the coming days.

Anyway,revised circuit is here:http://gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5502075

Sector 1 is quite fast,but tightens up a little near the end of the sector at around 1.5 km.

Sector 2 has the tightest turn on the track,but you cannot overtake due to the preceding esses.The esses afterwards also call for attention.After that,a long sweeping left leads onto a short straight before more esses come into play.This sector end immeadiately after those esses.

Sector 3 features the highlight of the circuit,the Vidraru Dam(The same one the Top Gear crew slept next to in their cars).This long right sweeper leads into a quick change of direction before a hairpin.The hairpin leads onto a downhill sweeper away from the main highway down into a left kink.A relatively unexciting chicane completes the lap.

RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Warren Hughes wrote:Shizuka have you actually read this thread? :lol:

I did in the morning, AND IT SHOWS! :oops:

the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5502366

Right, second attempt. The track goes clockwise, with the start line on the straight at the north.
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Okay, same for me, attempt number two. This track is known as the Poenari Castle Circuit, with the castle located inside the track and providing a nice backdrop, especially around sector 1.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5502522

The track runs anti-clockwise, with the start/finish straight located on the southern straight indicated by the start marker (the one with the black dot). This long straight joins onto the Transfagarasan Highway towards its end, and shortly after kinks left before the heavy braking for the tight left-handed turn 1. A short straight follows before the right kink of turn 2. Another short straight leads into the double left of turns 3 and 4 as the castle above comes into view. On the right hand side of the track is a steep cliff, marking the route of the former river, now held back by the dam upstream. Following 3 and 4 is the long, long right of turn 5, allowing speeds to rise as it opens out onto a straight. This is punctuated by the chicane of 6 and 7, a right-left flick, which is then immediately followed by turn 8, another long right turn, but this time tighter. A slight kink afterwards marks the point where the track departs the Transfagarasan Highway briefly, running along another road across a bridge over the valley. This brief straight is then followed by the turn 9 constant radius left-hander as the track leaves the existing roads altogether, with turn 9 bringing the track back round onto the Transfagarasan Highway. This point marks the start of sector two.

Sector two is comprised mostly of fast kinks and esses with a tight hairpin mid-way along its length. From turn 9, turn 10 follows quickly after, turning right, and is then followed by 11, turning back left again. A few kinks follow on a mostly straight piece of track, before a flick right at turn 12 leads into the long left of turn 13, and flick back to the right of 14, and then the heavy braking for the tightest corner on the circuit, the turn 15 left-handed hairpin. From there, more fast kinks follow - the left-right of 16 and 17 are met after a short straight from the hairpin, and are then followed by the squiggle of 18, 19, 20 and 21, a fast complex of turns that require a lot of precision and bravery to get right. The sector is finally brought to an end by turn 22, a right handed curve that marks the start of the large part of new-build track on the circuit.

Sector three is thus a high-speed blast of long fast corners, starting with turn 22, which opens out onto a straight, but is then quickly followed by a second right at turn 23, a mere flick before the longer left of turn 24, testing the cars' high speed downforce and acting as a slingshot, back on to the main start/finish straight once more.

The Poenari Castle Circuit thus combines a mixture of fast kinks, tight corners, and a longer fast section towards the end of the lap, creating a circuit that for the most part requires only a small amount of downforce, but still requires a compromise in setup with some demanding, medium to high-speed corners.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

And heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's mine: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5503999

While I wouldn't let Formula One run there, the WTCC or FIA GT3 could do awesome races on this track. In my opinion at least. :D
MIA SAN MIA!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Ferrarist wrote:And heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's mine: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5503999

While I wouldn't let Formula One run there, the WTCC or FIA GT3 could do awesome races on this track. In my opinion at least. :D

Sadly, your circuit is too far north to count :|

MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

Here's my (probably) rejectful entry, which would require some major mountain carving for the non-road section.
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5504091
This is a cool spot.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

I think I have an idea for a voting system. Instead of a period where you can vote, I'll put forward this proposition:

After the deadline, users post one nomination for best track and one for worst track. Only the first five users to post are considered. No track may be nominated more than twice for the same category. When the nominated tracks are known, the winner of the previous round decides who wins the round.

Thoughts?