F1 Rejects Track Designing Competition

The place for alternate championships that use real results as a base of forming alternative results, driver careers, and games in general
This Could Be You

Re: F1 Rejects Track Designing Competition

Post by This Could Be You »

Here's my first entry in a few months, the 5.59KM Gaborone International Circuit (despite the time off, I still am at a loss for creative circuit names) which is surprisingly enough a street circuit right in the centre of Botswana's capital city, albeit one which doesn't have the usual street circuit hallmarks of being narrow or having slow corners (in fact, it only has nine corners anyway!) :
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

It's been nine days.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:It's been nine days.

I'm here now to do the scoring.

Just had to pull a mad all-nighter to get all my uni stuff done and ended up crashing after having had six hours' sleep out of 62. Been catching up on sleep since, and now here I am.
Aislabie

Botswana Grand Prix results

Post by Aislabie »

1. Chobe River International Circuit (Warren Hughes)
Not only have you chosen to design a semi-permanent circuit, but you've found somewhere to put it that gives it some really interesting elevation changes. I've no idea if the river ever floods, but given that there are buildings and roads I'm guessing not. Excellent layout, good job.

2. Sebele Valley Motor Raceway (The Flying Caterham)
It's a permanent circuit and a pretty good one too. Versatile with lots of layouts, but the one I'm judging on is the Grand Prix course. This won't be the last time I raise the topic of safety, but I feel like there's not enough run-off on Turn Two. Excusable on a street track, but this was build from scratch so could have been accounted for. Also, not quite as interesting a spot as Warren found to host a Grand Prix - no real elevation change to speak of.

3. Gaborone International Circuit (This Could Be You)
I quite like this circuit, and it is in a similar part of town to the design I would have entered if I could have done. But I'm a little concerned about the safety side of things - a three-and-a-half mile street circuit with only six braking zones sounds terrifyingly fast.

4. Acacia Raceway (UgncreativeUsergname)
Another permanent track, but this one isn't floating my boat so much. I love your banked Turn Three, but a pattern I'm starting to notice quite often in your track designs is that they're full of constant-radius turns, lots of which are quite long sweepers. A little more variation on that front and this would score far higher.

5. Segoditshane River Course (Adrian Belmonte)
I know we're going all third-world dictatorship here, but building a circuit through what was a nature reserve and straight onto not one but two flood planes is perhaps excessive. I also fear that that esses section in the first sector would space cars out so far (dirty air) that they'd just spend the rest of the lap trying to catch up.

6. Gaborone Reserve Circuit (Dr Baker)
You've done it too! However, your circuit stretches out to five miles long, and that whole chunk between miles three and four is very sub-ideal. The flat-out mile-and-a-half into the kink at turn one will be a white-knuckle experience but not as much as...

7. Francistown Street Circuit (Vinceg)
You've gone out of your way to find interesting roads, only to create a bit of a boring layout. The bit that concerns me most though is Turn One. If you had twenty Formula One cars going through there on Lap One, then people will suddenly be far more grateful for the halo.

8. Three Dikgosi Monument Ciruit (Gertrand Bachot)
The last circuit might be trying to catapult drivers to their doom, but this one has chosen a different tactic. Your turns are: R-80, R-100, L-90, R-90, R-90, L-90, R-90, L-90, R-90, L-90, R-90, L-90, L-40, R-130, R-90, R-90, R-90. And it lasts for four miles as well.
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

Huzzah! I guess I have to set a challenge now, so let's go for quite a simple one:

Capital Gains: Design a street circuit in the capital city of any country not hosting a Formula 1 race in 2018. I'll allow up to 1km of new construction, and I'd like the total length to be at least 4km (2.5 miles). Street furniture may be removed but buildings may not. Please identify the location of the pit lane (either purpose-built or making use of existing infrastructure).
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=677947

The Amsterdam Steet Circuit in the Netherlands. It is a course just short of 6km that drives along the artificial banks of the Zeeburg, alongside various canals, and around the Amsterdam Central Station. The pit lane is to the left of the start finish line, beginning just before the last corner, and rejoins the track at the first kink.

And yes I know the last corner kinda transcends reality without modification, but surely I can use part of my 1km purpose-built track quota there, right?
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
vinceg

Post by vinceg »

www.gmap-pedometer.com/m/?r=7216873&rf=1

Portuguese GP returns in the capital of Lisbon. 4.35M/7km starting on estrada da luz. Pit lane on adjacent carriageway incorporating a loop around Estadio Da Luz home of Benfica and a couple of crossovers. Some roundabouts to smooth out and an obscenely tight hairpin . Yeah, this one got out of hand.
UncreativeUsername37

Africa returns to the World Championship with... Djibouti, somehow.
https://gb.mapometer.com/cycling/route_4708331.html
The pit lane is alongside the home straight, if it needs to be said.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Qatari Oil Memorial Circuit

Okay, so I've technically stayed within the rules, and have also taken advantage of the Qatari government's infinite wealth that they could move the mountains required to make it happen.

The opposite carriageway of Porto Arabia Drive can serve as the pitlane, with some temporary garages. There's very little road that has to be created from scratch, although some significant portions which need to be repaved and/or widened especially as we traverse between different islands. Also, where it looks like I've gone straight through a hotel I haven't - it's beside the hotel, but the 2D image makes it look otherwise.
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Government ban on motorsport MY ASS

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7217686

(Purpose built sections: the start-finish straight, the first two corners, a small bit after the first bridge, the second bridge and the last corner... i know i pushed the boundaries a bit too much)
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7219136

The triangle section after the last corner is the pitlane
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

Here's my attempt, the 4.53KM Prishtina International Circuit, which as the name suggests is in the capital city of Kosovo (depending on who you ask...) complete with some rather odd quirks/compromises in its layout, chiefly the last corner and the Anderstorp-esque location of its pitlane
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
UncreativeUsername37

It's been nine days. Time for voting, or more likely going by recent form, time for the judge to be reminded there's a job to do.
vinceg

Post by vinceg »

If we are doing voting
Yay: 1. Theflyingcaterham Amsterdam nice layout and plausible location
2. Aislabie Qatari. Definitely possible location IRL, and the layout whilst not technically great would be the thing F1 goes for.
Nay: 1.Uncreativeusername Djibouti just can't see either location or layout working.
2. AdrianBelmonte Switzerland. Can't see if the Swiss did drop their ban they'll do it in such a destructive to nature way.
UncreativeUsername37

1. TheFlyingCaterham — When I first saw this track, I was like "I'm not winning this round". All those epic chicanes. Not a single corner is boring, everything is either a nice flowy corner or looks like you have to do a trick for it, and the layout never feels contrived.
2. Aislabie — It's decent, no massive flaws. It's the only other one I like.
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

I've been meaning to do this for days, and was going to post a whole big analysis of each track, but to allow the game to move on let me state here that I'd give 1st place to The Flying Caterham - although personally I think it would be even better run clockwise!
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
UncreativeUsername37

Warren Hughes wrote:I've been meaning to do this for days, and was going to post a whole big analysis of each track

I mean, you can still do that. Until it's been two days without a vote, the judge takes precedence.
UncreativeUsername37

1. TheFlyingCaterham (12)
2. Aislabie (8)
NC. everyone else

It's a unanimous decision. Of two people, but what does that matter.
TheFlyingCaterham

Alright, it's been long enough since the last challenge so might as well get this started.

I've been lacking in ideas for this so I'll just go with something difficult. You must create a circuit that does not crossover anything that Google Maps counts as roads. Basically, if it's marked on the map than you have to avoid it. Other than that, do what you want. Just don't make it too long.

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:Alright, it's been long enough since the last challenge so might as well get this started.

I've been lacking in ideas for this so I'll just go with something difficult. You must create a circuit that does not crossover anything that Google Maps counts as roads. Basically, if it's marked on the map than you have to avoid it. Other than that, do what you want. Just don't make it too long.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7231570
Hope this counts. If it is too long, could you pretend it is 5.8 km instead of 5.8 miles please?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Nothing fancy, just a (hopefully) good layout near Buenos Aires airport. About 60 feet of elevation change.

The only thing I do wish to highlight is that the start/finish line is actually about 0.2 miles down that straight from where it is currently positioned.

Circuito Onofre Marimon
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dr-baker wrote:
TheFlyingCaterham wrote:Alright, it's been long enough since the last challenge so might as well get this started.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7231570
Hope this counts. If it is too long, could you pretend it is 5.8 km instead of 5.8 miles please?

Dammit, I just realised I could have built the track on the nearby, more appropriately named Speedwell Island!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AdrianBelmonte_

Here's a circuit in line with my mood: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7232199
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
UncreativeUsername37

A bit south of Al-Shahaniya and couple dozen kilometres west of Doha, you'll find this... well, if I could create asphalt concrete with my mind, you would....
https://i.imgur.com/dUq06LS.png
UncreativeUsername37

1. Aislabie
2. AdrianBelmonte_
TheFlyingCaterham

No need to vote, I've got the results here.

1. Aislabie
2. dr-baker
3. UgncreativeUsergname
4. AdrianBelmonte_

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:No need to vote, I've got the results here.

1. Aislabie
2. dr-baker
3. UgncreativeUsergname
4. AdrianBelmonte_

Solid upper mid-field result, I'll take that.
MCard LOLA
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Eurovision Challenge

It's that time of year again, so your challenge is to build an F1-spec street circuit in this year's host city Lisbon. Bonus points for any other Eurovision references you manage to include
UncreativeUsername37

Many dividers were maimed or killed in the making of this track....
https://gb.mapometer.com/cycling/route_4738564.html
AdrianBelmonte_

Here's something as disappointing as the way it ended http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7240941
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
TheFlyingCaterham

My entry this time is a budget Road Atlanta.

http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=688201

Dexter249

Post by Dexter249 »

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7243451

Since there is a permanent circuit in/near Lisbon, I just took most of Estoril and put a little street section, trees and two gravel traps were destroyed.
FIAT Group, finding loopholes in the FIA rulebook since it's inception.
UncreativeUsername37

It's been nine days. Actually, it's been ten days if you only count legal entries. I didn't watch Indianapolis live, okay?
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

shite my bad. Results will go up tonight
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Eurovision Challenge Results

1 - The Flying Caterham
You describe your entry as a budget Road Atlanta, but it kinda puts me in mind of Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez as well. I like it though: elevation change, varied corners, and enough braking zones to create overtaking opportunities.

2 - UgncreativeUsergname
Not a particularly inspiring track: although there is plenty of elevation change and some corners that would be very memorable (the downhill right-left at around the 3km mark), it doesn't particularly feel like a circuit that would produce anything other than a procession.

3 - Adrian Belmonte
Well done Baku! Seriously though, I'm not sure if this is what you were aiming for, but you have produced a Baku clone. I'm still of the opinion that a mile-and-a-half back straight is unsafe though, nor am I a huge fan of ninety-degree corners everywhere.

4 - Bleu
No no no no no no no no no no no no no. No.

DSQ - Dexter249
This is not in the municipality of Lisbon, nor is it really a street circuit.
UncreativeUsername37

Fine, I'll make one.

do a kart track
I've done like half an hour of indoor karting, so relatively, I'm more qualified to give an opinion on a kart track than one for cars. Make it purpose-built or on the streets or a mix, just don't take out buildings or leave no room for the pits. Considering it's a kart track, that shouldn't be a challenge. The maximum length is 2.5 km.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=693032

Built around a (private boarding) school to encourage a greater engagement with STEM subjects (and for some go karts to be built in the school's DT department), here is the Epsom College GoKart track.

Starting along the Propert straight (most of the corners will be named after local landmarks or people associated with the history of the school), karters will quickly go into the Art Block hairpin and along the Chapel Triangle 'Straight' (that is about as straight as the start/finish straight at Monaco). Up next comes the Big School chicane as we enter the 'urban' section of track. This is followed by the Wilson bend, a 90-degree left-hander, proceeded by the School Shop Right, Tuck Shop Left and Maths Block Right, onto the Headmaster's House/Armoury Straight. Next up at the bottom of the hill is the Sports Hall complex through a car park, before going through the Swimming Pool Sweeper and Tennis Court Turn. The Fayrer hairpin proceeded a run up the hill towards the Chapel 'chicane', and the lap is complete.
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I don't want to win by default, being the only entry...
MCard LOLA