F1 Rejects Track Designing Competition

The place for alternate championships that use real results as a base of forming alternative results, driver careers, and games in general
AdrianBelmonte_

Re: F1 Rejects Track Designing Competition

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Hoping I'm not too late with this entry. Leafy Grove is an unmade, gravel road. The rest is tarmac. There are also some interesting gradient changes along this route.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7189056
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

I'm a bit late with my entry too, but I've got my idea of a rallycross track in Malaysia, featuring a stadium like atmosphere, a joker lap and a bridge crossover...

Pahang Rallycross Arena
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
UncreativeUsername37

It's been nine days. Time to vote, if you feel like it.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:It's been nine days. Time to vote, if you feel like it.

Or I can just post the results so you don't have to.

1. WaffleCat
2. UgncreativeUsergname
3. AdrianBelmonte_
4. Aislabie
5. dr-baker

Waffle's and Ugncreative's designs I'd say were about equal, as were Adrian's and Aislabie's. I did like baker's design a bit as well, but ultimately it's not quite as good as the other designs, though that'd be more down to the location you chose than anything.
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:
Waffle's and Ugncreative's designs I'd say were about equal, as were Adrian's and Aislabie's. I did like baker's design a bit as well, but ultimately it's not quite as good as the other designs, though that'd be more down to the location you chose than anything.

I just wanted it to go past a relative's house so I could have watched it for free!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

I've got a challenge for y'all…

The AVUS Challenge

For those who don't know (I'm guessing none of you, tbh), AVUS was the crazy track that ran on both sides of a dual carriageway. So, to relive the good old Autobahn spirit…

-- Design a track with the front and back straight running on both sides of a single dual-carriageway or any other road with a median. Those two straights can run in either the same or opposite direction, that's all up to you.

-- No minimum track length, but maximum will be 6 kilometres.

-- No bashing through buildings, but I'll allow you to design through open fields in case you want a technical section or your own radical AVUS banking.

Have fun!
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Köln CityCircuit
In the spirit of AVUS, this isn't completely safe. There are a couple of pretty tight hairpins, but they should all be doable. Some trees and pieces of road furniture will need to be moved, but all buildings remain untouched.
AdrianBelmonte_

#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
UncreativeUsername37

Göteburg, featuring a median made of water.
https://gb.mapometer.com/running/route_4678016.html
TheFlyingCaterham

I have no idea whether I'm allowed to create my own median or not, but I've done that with this design anyways. Please tell me whether this is a valid entry or not (preferably before the judgement).

http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=669075

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:I have no idea whether I'm allowed to create my own median or not, but I've done that with this design anyways. Please tell me whether this is a valid entry or not (preferably before the judgement).

I'll only allow medians on actual streets, not any self-made ones, so you'll need to make a new track...

Nice try at rule bending tho, I'll give ya credit.

TheFlyingCaterham

WaffleCat wrote:
TheFlyingCaterham wrote:I have no idea whether I'm allowed to create my own median or not, but I've done that with this design anyways. Please tell me whether this is a valid entry or not (preferably before the judgement).

I'll only allow medians on actual streets, not any self-made ones, so you'll need to make a new track...

Nice try at rule bending tho, I'll give ya credit.

Alright then, I'll submit this instead.

http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=669085

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

MCard LOLA
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7195309

My entry in Coventry. The start line is on Foleshill road with the first corner being the square at the top of the track
vinceg

Post by vinceg »

First post in flipping ages on here but here goes

The powers that be have decided Silverstone is far to exotic to host a GP so we now have the GP of Northampton! Start heads South down the sexily named Horse market before hanging a left at the roundabout onto the A5123 before looping back and up the other side, a bit of a fiddly bit in the middle ending with a hairpin off sheep street back onto Broad St and Horse Market s/f area. 4.1237km of Northampton beauty

https://www.gmap-pedometer.com/m/?r=7195704&rf=1
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Apologies for the relatedness of the judging bit, I'm currently overseas. I will judge it soon enough, don't worry.

WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

The AVUS Challenge -- RESULTS

7: AdrianBelmonte_ -- No. I would love to see a racing series actually try this circuit, but still...no.

6: dr-baker -- Two things. One, you have an unhealthy obsession with Eurodisney. Two, that looks a lot more suspicious and non-family friendly than simple barbeque tongs.

5: vinceg -- I could cut through concrete with chicanes that sharp. Decent thought behind the layout, but still...those chicanes, man.

4: Aislabie -- A shame, as out-of-place chicanes, in my view, ruin a track with decent flow. A layout like this does deserve chicanes, but better placement of them would've done this track so much better.

3: UgncreativeUsergname -- Ignoring the fact some of your track runs solely on tramlines, it's quite a decent speed circuit with ultra-fast kinks, but the non-fast bits feel bland.

2: TheFlyingCaterham -- Stop making tracks so good. This one has quite a bit of everything, though the run after the west hairpin feels odd to me. Like...it looks like it flows, but feels like it doesn't. Odd.

1: peteroli34 -- Barring the weird S-bend onto Lincoln Street, this circuit is designed impressively. It makes each turn feels important, especially that lovely off-ramp/on-ramp bend on the south-east corner of the circuit and the kink into the braking zone before that. Well done.
Last edited by WaffleCat on 14 Feb 2018, 09:41, edited 1 time in total.

vinceg

Post by vinceg »

Yeah in hindsight I probably should've manually smoothed those chicanes out as they're only around footpath bits
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

So guess its my turn then

The FrankenTrack

Your challenge is to take the best (or worst) parts from tracks around the world and combine them into one track

Rules
- All Corners on the track must be taken from another race circuit. You may use your own straights to link the corners.
- Corners must be oriented the way they are in real life. A Left hanf corner must remain left, Unless the track is licensed to run in reverse.
- No Limit on the number of corners and while not a rule try not to use too many corners from the same track

You can either draw the track or of you want to do some elaborate cut and paste you can do
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

For such a creative challenge, it could only be right that I name the circuit after the cricketing hero who inspired my username.

The lap begins with a long run down to Turn One, the tightening-radius off-camber right-hander borrowed from Sepang. As drivers exit Turn One, they accelerate into an esses complex borrowed from Silverstone; drivers will have to balance the amount of throttle input with the demands of the turns.

The second sector begins with the right-hand hairpin borrowed from Interlagos. Although not likely to be an overtaking spot itself, getting your line and exit right from this turn is crucial in establishing a rhythm from the high-speed sequence that makes up the rest of the second sector: the Turn Six left-hander opens out into the subtle chicane of Seven and Eight (Nurburgring) before the fast sweeping right-hander of Nine (Buenos Aires).

The third sector starts with the wide-open hairpin of Ten (COTA) which offers the most clear-cut outbraking opportunity on the track and exits onto the DRS straight. Eleven (Monza) is a fiendishly difficult opening-radius right-hander that will test throttle control to the limit. Thread the needle of the chicane at Twelve and Thirteen (Hungaroring) before flooring it through Fourteen (Catalunya) and opening DRS along the pit straight.
Last edited by Aislabie on 05 Mar 2018, 12:19, edited 1 time in total.
UncreativeUsername37

Dexter249

Post by Dexter249 »

My track (which I am currently going to start making tonight.) will feature Crimes against humanity from around the world, and everyone knows what turn one will be. Shocked no one has taken it yet.
FIAT Group, finding loopholes in the FIA rulebook since it's inception.
Dexter249

Post by Dexter249 »

Hast been completed.
The most Crime track of all time.
FIAT Group, finding loopholes in the FIA rulebook since it's inception.
UncreativeUsername37

It's been nine days. Actually, it's been longer since I misremembered the date of the last "track" (if it doesn't get disqualified for being made with no understanding of scale). But let's get moving, people!
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

I feel privileged to have the opportunity to vote in something as rejectful as a contest where there are three entries, one of which appears to have a broken image link (I do remember seeing it though) and another seems to be breaking one of the rules, so!

1. Aislabie (your verbal description of the lap has proven most crucial)
2. The Generalissimo

Dexter's track sounds exhilirating in places, but the first turn of the Circuit of the Americas is taken uphill and left, not down and right, so... disqualification, I guess. On a side note, I don't know if it's sleep deprivation, but I'm blanking on that first turn (or two). I feel like I should know it and I probably do, but I honestly can't think of where it is. Everywhere else I can picture just fine, it's just that one that's bothering me.

EDIT: Worked it out. Not feeling as stupid as I thought I would.
#FreeGonzo
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Simtek wrote:one of which appears to have a broken image link

Nobody saw anything...
UncreativeUsername37

For bureaucracy's sake, here are the scores.

1. Aislabie (6)
2. UgncreativeUsergname (4)
DSQ. Dexter249
Gertrand Bachot

Post by Gertrand Bachot »

Just a question; how long do you have to wait for the original winner to post their challenge before declaring it an open floor? Just that it’s been 3 days since the results of the last round were posted so, y’know, I wanna design a track :P
UncreativeUsername37

Gertrand Bachot wrote:Just a question; how long do you have to wait for the original winner to post their challenge before declaring it an open floor? Just that it’s been 3 days since the results of the last round were posted so, y’know, I wanna design a track :P

The results are only the results once two days have passed with no votes, so it hasn't been three days....

And once the winner hasn't posted a track for a week, the privilege goes to second place, then third and so on. If no one classified in the previous challenge wants to do one, the rules break, so hopefully that won't happen. It hasn't yet, although it almost did at the last season finale.

I did actually write out the "rulebook" a few months ago, but I never put it up anywhere, because I don't know where a link could helpfully be... of course I could post it right here in the middle of the thread, but that wouldn't be a very useful place....
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Image Grand Prix of Botswana

Botswana has, by African standards, been a real economic success story. In order to improve their reputation in the world, they have tried to host sporting events, most notably the last two runnings of the World's Strongest Man competition, in Kasane and Gaberone respectively.

Your task is to design a circuit that could bring Formula One to Botswana. It can be a street race or a purpose-built circuit, I really don't mind.
Gertrand Bachot

Post by Gertrand Bachot »

If length isn't an issue: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7209074

It's not really a pinnacle of design, but that's mainly due to Central Gaborone is a bit boring.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Obviously, this route will have to be tarmacked, and therefore it can be made as wide as it needs to be. I'm sure it can be arranged to remove any trees as needed...
MCard LOLA
AdrianBelmonte_

#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
UncreativeUsername37

Acacia Raceway, located northeast of Gaborone, -24.607, 26.003 to be hyper-specific, and 5.97 km long.

Cyan (Grand Prix Course): The F1 layout, as the name says. Turn 3 is banked 11.125 degrees, the rest doesn't need special explanation. There isn't too much elevation around Gaborone.
Red (North Course): This is for people who can't stand how slow the southern part of the track is and want moar speed.
Purple (East Course): This is the opposite of the North Course, leaving mostly the trickier corners. It's expected that this will get a fair bit of use from smaller series with not so powerful cars.
Red and purple: Using both shortcuts, you make the world's most boring oval. You're not really supposed to use it, but you could.
TheFlyingCaterham

The Sebele Valley Motor Raceway, located just south of Gaborone's main airport.

Main layout without chicanes: http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=674786
All layouts combined: http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=674789

The final corner will have 9 degrees of banking, as it is meant to be a speedway-type corner. Also, the layout F1 would use would include either the first or second chicane, plus maybe the third one since some of the speeds hit otherwise would be too ridiculous.

vinceg

Post by vinceg »

Determined to find a reasonable street circuit I headed to the far north to Francistown, 3.48 miles anti clockwise starting and ending on Guy St on the east of the map. Its simple and fast with a Mickey mouse bit but sure plenty of dodgy government money could jazz it up a bit

https://www.gmap-pedometer.com/m/?r=7210576&rf=1
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

For my first entry in this thread in literally years, I present the Chobe River International Circuit!

The track is partly purpose-built and partly makes use of public roads - some of which will have to be widened and tarmacked in order to create the circuit. The pit straight begins almost on the riverbank and runs steeply uphill towards the first corner - a left-hander, unusually for a clockwise circuit. It then swoops downhill through the second corner onto a downhill straight which ends at turn 3, probably the slowest corner on the track. This leads us onto Airport Road, which curves uphill through a series of long sweepers to a 90 degree right turn onto Upper Road. A pair of right-handers takes us off into the bush, where we join an old dirt track by way of a left-hander with a curved braking zone. A long, sweeping left-hander is followed by possibly the trickiest corner on the track - a sharp but quick right-hander just before the 3-mile marker. Shortly after this the track turns steeply downhill towards the river, resulting in a tricky braking zone for the medium-speed left-hander which follows and leads into a double-apex right-hander which carries us back onto the pit straight.
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll: