F1 Challenge '99-'02

The place for alternate championships that use real results as a base of forming alternative results, driver careers, and games in general
MrRigu98

Re: F1 Challenge '99-'02

Post by MrRigu98 »

Hey, could someone tell me how to get the car better grip? my car feels like falling over quite often ... :roll:
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

MrRigu98 wrote:Hey, could someone tell me how to get the car better grip? my car feels like falling over quite often ... :roll:

Increase the downforce, increase track grip (considered cheating), edit the tires (also cheating)
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Julien

Post by Julien »

Increase the wing settings? Other than that, you must train your cornering skills. There is no other way really... Other than cheating of course.
MrRigu98

Post by MrRigu98 »

Ok, thanks for answers, and yes, I have adjusted the car a lot, but it feels like the rear end of the car does not grip almost anything, I can not really do anything if the car starts to skid, it resets when the same road, whether this is realistic or not? :roll:
Julien

Post by Julien »

Try to play around with the anti roll bars. They can do magic :)
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

MrRigu98 wrote:Ok, thanks for answers, and yes, I have adjusted the car a lot, but it feels like the rear end of the car does not grip almost anything, I can not really do anything if the car starts to skid, it resets when the same road, whether this is realistic or not? :roll:

Could tell me which cars give you this problem? I can try it myself by weekend to see it.......
On a note: I almost always turns off the opposite lock assistance, even with the oversteering car :lol: :S
tommykl has a stroke
MrRigu98

Post by MrRigu98 »

Well, example "normal cars" and all other mod cars sliding, expect 2004 and 2005 season car mods not so much.. (I have season mods 1984-2005).

And i have also turned off all steering helps etc. :|
Julien

Post by Julien »

If you're suffering from oversteer you can
- Increase the rear wing
- Decrease the lower anti-roll bars
- Increase the differential lock.
You can regain some of the oversteer you lost with setting the front bump/rebound dampeners lower and the backs higher.
Julien

Post by Julien »

F1C made a funny thing recently. Before, if I had a technical issue and I had to give up the race, my car wasn't put back into the pits but was left where it stopped and I could watch the rest of the race. But just a few days ago, something had happened, all my personal setups (e.g.: Graphics, sounds, controls etc.) were reset to default. My player records were cleared as well. And since then when I stop with a mechanical failure, I am removed from the track and I get automatically to the results screen where the game rolls down the whole race in a few seconds. The issue is that when it does that, it completely ignores what happened on the track before, so if Schumacher is in P14 and on the wrong set of tires and a broken rear wing, he still gonna win the race...
Where can I prevent the game to remove the player's car from the track if it stopped?
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

The behaviour you are experiencing now is the default one, and is really annoying. I don't know what could have happened for your game to reset to default, but I guess there is some parameter within the .PLR file that you can modify to keep your car in the track after it retires.

It would have been very nice to know it back when I used to simulate races and championships just for the sake of it, because if you stop your car at the side of the track yellow flags appear and the other cars slow down slightly, a lot or not at all "at random" and the race results are affected. After much trying, I discovered that if you stalled the car just after the pit entry, the yellow flags wouldn't be deployed and you could continue watching the remainder of the race. From that point on it was just a matter of entering the pitlane through the point most separated from the racing line, in order to avoid the AI cars crashing against my stalled car :lol: which was a pain at certain tracks, because they weren't flat and the car "rolled"...

What a boring adolescence I had... :oops:
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Ferrim wrote:The behaviour you are experiencing now is the default one, and is really annoying. I don't know what could have happened for your game to reset to default, but I guess there is some parameter within the .PLR file that you can modify to keep your car in the track after it retires.

It would have been very nice to know it back when I used to simulate races and championships just for the sake of it, because if you stop your car at the side of the track yellow flags appear and the other cars slow down slightly, a lot or not at all "at random" and the race results are affected. After much trying, I discovered that if you stalled the car just after the pit entry, the yellow flags wouldn't be deployed and you could continue watching the remainder of the race. From that point on it was just a matter of entering the pitlane through the point most separated from the racing line, in order to avoid the AI cars crashing against my stalled car :lol: which was a pain at certain tracks, because they weren't flat and the car "rolled"...

What a boring adolescence I had... :oops:

I'll tell you a simple method to completely stop the car

Don't be shock

After you stop press the launch control button. It acts like a proper handbrake :!:
tommykl has a stroke
MRacer

Post by MRacer »

Hm, does anyone know how i can add a second car to a one car team, obviously with the right liveries and driver helmet.

For example, the 1979 wolf team has one car (the #20 James Hunt car) but i want to add a #21 car to the team, essentially making a two car team, for Keke Rosberg. The #21 car needs to have a #21 car livery and Rosberg's helmet whilst the #20 retains the Hunt livery and helmet.

So, i want the team to be.

#20 James Hunt
#21 Keke Rosberg

With both cars having their unique textures/liveries/helmets showing up ingame, during the race.

I know it has to do with genstrings/.mts files, but i have no clue about how this works. What do i have to do?
MRacer

Post by MRacer »

Right, i got it done.

If anyone is interested in a fully functional 1979 carset, including the #21 Rosberg car and 2 additional Kauhsen cars, you can mail me and i will reply with the carset attached. Works good on almost all tracks and the AI cars do not crash into the barriers anymore (not even in montreal and monaco).
MRacer

Post by MRacer »

To the person that mailed me. The set is not downloadable on the internet itself, i will have to mail it to you.

What does the set contain compared to the "normal" 1979 set?

-3 additional cars
-fixed performance, grip and reliability
-normalized engines
-individual set up for each AI car
-works on every track

I am also working on updating the 1980, '81, '82, '83 and '84 set
Julien

Post by Julien »

Why don't you simply upload it somewhere and let everyone to download it form there. There are plenty of free file sharing systems out there... By the way, I mailed you too but I didn't get any response. When can we expect the mod and how do you think the mailing system will handle a ~ 1GB attachment?
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

My F1C is put in a single folder than with many stand-alones folder and stand-alones with some mods, the result is:

:shock: :shock: :shock:
tommykl has a stroke
MRacer

Post by MRacer »

Currently working on a 1986 set based on David Marques' 1985 set.
Julien

Post by Julien »

That would be awesome. You didn't send me the 1979 mod though... Any chance you will be able to send it soon? ;) :roll:
MRacer

Post by MRacer »

What is the best site (must be free) to upload it on?
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Mediafire would be the best. My suggestion is between Mediafire and Mega
tommykl has a stroke
jreid66_

Post by jreid66_ »

Guys can anyone help me get the 1990 mod by prairie, psycotronik etc. To work can't find a problem
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

jreid66_ wrote:Guys can anyone help me get the 1990 mod by prairie, psycotronik etc. To work can't find a problem

My suggestion would be to run in compatibility mode for Windows 98.

Although to be honest, the 1990 mod has always been one of the more reliable ones for me.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
jreid66_

Post by jreid66_ »

FullMetalJack wrote:
jreid66_ wrote:Guys can anyone help me get the 1990 mod by prairie, psycotronik etc. To work can't find a problem

My suggestion would be to run in compatibility mode for Windows 98.

Although to be honest, the 1990 mod has always been one of the more reliable ones for me.

The Fondmetal works but I can't get the others to work so i'll try that out (not sure how to do that on Vista)
Julien

Post by Julien »

What do you mean by "works"? What happens when you try to run other cars?
My suggestion is to figure out which cars cause CTD.
Try to run a full race., if the game crashes, then let's assume for now that nothing is wrong with the track itself. Now you have to figure out which cars crash. Except of Fondmetal, you have to open EVERY .VEH file from the mod, and adjust the following line:

Classes="FormulaOne, OpenWheel, 1990"

to

Classes="FormulaOne, OpenWheel, 199"

This will remove that car from the 1990 season, making the AI to fill up the grid with the available cars. In this case only Oliver Groulliards will be on the grid (a spectacular sight indeed :D)
You said that the Fondmetal (which was still called Osella in 1990 by the way) works, so start to add other teams, one by one. First McLaren, then Benetton etc... Try to load in a race after every team added. Eventually the game will crash. In this case we have the faulty car/team, it will be the one you added last, and we can look into it ot find out what's wrong.
jreid66_

Post by jreid66_ »

Used compatibility mode and it's fine done my career mode season with Life and the Lotus
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

If you're tired of Emanuele Pirro's dodgy head physics in the 1989 Mod, you might want to try this fix. I simply extracted his helmet MTS from the Team.mas, made sure every texture used by it was available and re-exported it into the 1989 Benetton folder. Now his head seems to act just like anyone else's.

Just paste the file in SeasonData/Vehicles/Benetton/1989_B189 - it doesn't overwrite anything so should you run into problems (which is unlikely), just delete it and the game reverts to the version found in Team.mas.

How did I figure this out? As he uses the same head physics file as everyone else, I concluded that his helmet 3D model must have an error. Turns out I was right as re-converting it to a F1C MTS was all that was needed to fix the issue.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Nuppiz wrote:If you're tired of Emanuele Pirro's dodgy head physics in the 1989 Mod, you might want to try this fix. I simply extracted his helmet MTS from the Team.mas, made sure every texture used by it was available and re-exported it into the 1989 Benetton folder. Now his head seems to act just like anyone else's.

Just paste the file in SeasonData/Vehicles/Benetton/1989_B189 - it doesn't overwrite anything so should you run into problems (which is unlikely), just delete it and the game reverts to the version found in Team.mas.

How did I figure this out? As he uses the same head physics file as everyone else, I concluded that his helmet 3D model must have an error. Turns out I was right as re-converting it to a F1C MTS was all that was needed to fix the issue.

Nice one Nuppiz, works perfectly.

Pirro's head no longer disconnects from his body.
Julien

Post by Julien »

I would need some help.
I want to add a new team to the 1996CK mod, but I got some problem. I use the Benetton team as a template, but the body of the car is always misaligned. What happens is that I create the model in a third party program (Milkshape3D), then I export it to 3DS format, import it with Zmodeler and merge it with the MTS files of the original. This way I don't have to play around with textures and other things that much. Plus I doN't know how to animate so I can't edit tyres, wheels and suspension so I am forced to use another car as a template...
I manage to export the wings back to MTS format just fine, they show up nicely ingame. However, when I do it with the car's body, it's completely out of place. The strange thing is that when I import the model, it is displaced just as much as it shows up ingame. However, if I mode the wings into position in Zmodeler, they work just fine. But if I do it with the body, it still keeps staying displaced like this.

Any idea what could be the problem?

Another interesting thing is that it only seems to affect cars which are saved in F1 2001 MTS format. If I try to use mods with F1 2002 MTS files, it works fine (unfortunately all those mods that use the newer version are for years where the tyres and suspensions were so different from 1996 that the car would totally stand out from the rest of the field.
Julien

Post by Julien »

Another thing: Can someone tell me how to setup the textures in Zmodeler so they would reflect the environment? If I mod any car, the body texture loses its reflection ability, the car becomes matte. The shadows are still visible on it but there are no reflections.
PieSlicedHam

Post by PieSlicedHam »

Hi, I need help on copying my setup for AI's usage.

At old Hockenheim, the AIs top out at less than 300km/h, some even barely over 290km/h. I've done a setup that enables a top speed of over 340km/h, but I have not found a way to let them get my setup. I've named my setup "1999 Germany AI", and then put in the 1999_Hockenheim.gdb file this:
SettingsFolder = Germany
SettingsCopy = 1999 Germany AI.svm
SettingsCopy = 1999 Germany AI.svm
SettingsAI = 1999 Germany AI.svm
Qualify Laptime = 102.188
Race Laptime = 107.524

I've done all that but to no avail, AI remains the same even after computer restart. Any ideas?
Julien

Post by Julien »

What mod you're using?
My top guess would be that they have only 6 gears and the setup you're using is designed for a 7 gear gearbox.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

I've found out that the best way to ensure that the AI uses a custom setup is putting the SVM in the main Save folder.
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Julien

Post by Julien »

Yeah, because F1C always uses default settings if it can't find what the file defines. So if the GDB file doesn't define a setup file or there is a typo in the folder's name, the game will still check the Save folder for the defined SVM file. It's pretty neat because it makes the game more or less foolproof, but it's a real pain in the neck when you try to track down a bug.
F1 Fan

Post by F1 Fan »

Hi Guys
I don't know, but I think that this forum is active. I have a problem.

In Qualify or Practice I can change all types of tyres. But during race I can change only one type of dry tyres. So when I have Hard tires in Setup, I can change only Hard Tires but I cannot save my Soft tires. Do you have some hint ?

I appreciate every help. Thank You
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

F1 Fan wrote:Hi Guys

In Qualify or Practice I can change all types of tyres. But during race I can change only one type of dry tyres. So when I have Hard tires in Setup, I can change only Hard Tires but I cannot save my Soft tires. Do you have some hint ?

This is not a bug, but actually how the F1 rules were back when the game was made - the driver had to pick which compound (hard or soft) to use during qualifying and that was then the only compound he was allowed to use in the race. Obviously this is flawed in F1C as you can freely change compunds during qualifying and before the race, but for pitstops you can use only one compound (which is whatever is used in the setup that is loaded when you start qualifying). Unfortunately I don't know how to fix this.
F1 Fan

Post by F1 Fan »

Nuppiz wrote:
F1 Fan wrote:Hi Guys

This is not a bug, but actually how the F1 rules were back when the game was made - the driver had to pick which compound (hard or soft) to use during qualifying and that was then the only compound he was allowed to use in the race. Obviously this is flawed in F1C as you can freely change compunds during qualifying and before the race, but for pitstops you can use only one compound (which is whatever is used in the setup that is loaded when you start qualifying). Unfortunately I don't know how to fix this.

OK, thanks for answering. I'm quite surprised that forum about F1 Challenge 99-02 is active.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

F1 Fan wrote:OK, thanks for answering. I'm quite surprised that forum about F1 Challenge 99-02 is active.

Well, it's still being used to run some series and virtual careers here. If you want more discussion you should visit: http://forum.race4sim.com/
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Nuppiz wrote:
F1 Fan wrote:OK, thanks for answering. I'm quite surprised that forum about F1 Challenge 99-02 is active.

Well, it's still being used to run some series and virtual careers here.

Yup, i'm still using F1 Challenge.

The huge selection of mods is definitely part of the reason, for example I have mods for every season from 1983-2005 (except 1986 which I can't find a mod for).

I've never come across a good post-2005 mod though.
Rabbi Gordon

Post by Rabbi Gordon »

FullMetalJack wrote:
Nuppiz wrote:

The huge selection of mods is definitely part of the reason, for example I have mods for every season from 1983-2005 (except 1986 which I can't find a mod for).

http://f1cbr.blogspot.hu/2013/05/f1-198 ... naldo.html

Mediocre quality, but enjoyable with a few tweaks.
If a particle is traveling at the speed of a Spyker, it is likely to finish last. - Albers Einstein

The Hungarian language is more beautiful than you'd ever think. See, the plural of soul in Hungarian is lelkek.
F1 Fan

Post by F1 Fan »

FullMetalJack wrote:
Nuppiz wrote:

You are quite fanatic. I played seasons from 1999 till 2014. After that I'm playing seasons before 1999. Right now I'm playing 1995 season. F1 Challenge is even in 2015 still good game. :D