GPM2 F1 Rejects/The Leftovers Mod

Archive for the three above subforums
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

GPM2 F1 Rejects/The Leftovers Mod

Post by Nuppiz »

Download here: https://www.mediafire.com/?jdf74flej8ev2jn

Now that I've got the 2011 Mod out, and I'm still interested in creating GPM2 Mods, I'm very eager to finish a project that I already thought of a couple of years ago. You see, as I made mods based on every season from 1989 (the first modern non-turbo season, as I don't like the way GPM2 handles turbos) from 2003, there were quite a few teams that I had to leave out because of GPM2's 13-team limit, especially in the earlier seasons. 11 of the teams never made it to any of my mods, and two of them missed one season (Brabham was dropped from the 1992 Mod and Pacific from the 1994 Mod, respectively) for their dismal results. But, now I'd like to make a mod that exclusively concentrates on these teams, and because all except Brabham are pure reject teams (most of which are featured on this site as well), I figured out that the best place to come ask for more info would be here on F1 Rejects.

Jamie and Enoch, if you happen to read this, I'd like to retroactively credit your site as one of my main sources for rare photos, especially of the reject drivers. Often times your site has proved to be the only source for a particular picture, but only sometimes I've mentioned your site as the source. I apologize for using any pictures from your site (even though you don't own the copyright for all of them) without properly crediting you, let alone asking for permission. It's a nasty habit that all of us GPM2 modders tend to have, as we think that if it's a good picture and we need it in our mods, then we use it despite any copyright claims made by the sites where we get them, believing that using it for non-profit modding justifies the means. As a result, we often fail to name our soures. And I definitely need to use pictures from your site again, given that this mod focuses on the back end of the grid. If you don't mind it, and if you can help with anything related to the mod (mostly info about team personnel etc.) go ahead and post here!

I've already gathered quite a bit of information, as you can see below. Please note that because staff members' and drivers' often changed between many of the teams listed below, I had to make some compromises. I've tried to include the personnel and drivers that have been most influential in the teams, but sometimes this hasn't been possible, and I simply couldn't find some of the personnel names. Also, even though Andrea Moda was a direct successor of Coloni and Fondmetal was the same with Osella, I've had to use all four as different entries to get a full 13-team list. Like I said earlier, I dislike the way turbos are implemented in GPM2, so all teams will use naturally-aspirated engines. If there's anything you can add, confirm, or modify, please tell me about it in the topic! I especially need someone to draw the car topdowns - large (by GPM2 standards) pictures of the cars taken from the top, which are then used for sponsor and podium screens.

AGS-Ford DFZ/DFR

Team Principal: Henri Julien
Chief Designer: Christian Vanderpleyn
Chief Engineer: Claude Galopin
Chief Mechanic: Loïc David?
Commercial Manager: Cyril de Rouvre?
Home track: Paul Ricard

Driver 1: Philippe Streiff (in this alternate reality, he is no longer paralyzed)
Driver 2: Yannick Dalmas
Test driver: Pascal Fabre

Livery: Grey/black used in 1989.

Andrea Moda-Judd GV

Team Principal: Andrea Sassetti
Chief Designer: Nick Wirth?
Chief Engineer: Michel Costa
Chief Mechanic: Peter Wyss?
Commercial Manager: Frederic Dhainaut?
Home track: Imola (Coloni's old base was nearer to that than Monza)

Driver 1: Alex Caffi
Driver 2: Perry McCarthy
Test driver: Enrico Bertaggia

Livery: Full black, as seen in all of their entries.

Brabham-Judd GV (1992 version)

Team Principal: Herbie Blash?
Chief Designer: Sergio Rinland
Chief Engineer: Tim Densham
Chief Mechanic: Andy Brown
Commercial Manager: Koji Nakauchi?
Home track: Silverstone

Driver 1: Damon Hill
Driver 2: Giovanna Amati
Test driver: Corrado Fabi

Livery: The awful blue-purple livery, as seen in their last few entries.

Coloni-Ford DFZ/DFR (Subaru 1235 F12 also possible, although it will ruin any of their chances of success)

Team Principal: Enzo Coloni
Chief Designer: Roberto Ori
Chief Engineer: Paul Burgess
Chief Mechanic: Mauricio Ori
Commercial Manager: Alvise Morin
Home track: Imola (base closer to that than Monza)

Driver 1: Roberto Moreno
Driver 2: Pierre-Henri Raphanel
Test driver: Pedro Chaves

Livery: Yellow, as seen in most of their entries.

EuroBrun-Judd CV

Team Principal: Walter Brun
Chief Designer: Bruno Zava
Chief Engineer: George Ryton
Chief Mechanic: Tim Feast
Commercial Manager: Giampaolo Pavanello?
Home track: Monza (very near their base)

Driver 1: Oscar Larrauri
Driver 2: Stefano Modena
Test driver: Claudio Langes

Livery: White with black wings.

Fondmetal-Ford DFR/HB

Team Principal: Gabriele Rumi
Chief Designer: Tino Belli?
Chief Engineer: Robin Herd?
Chief Mechanic: Tim Holloway?
Commercial Manager: Gianfranco Palazzoli?
Home track: Monza (near their base)

Driver 1: Gabriele Tarquini
Driver 2: Olivier Grouillard
Test driver: Andrea Chiesa

Livery: Red-black-silver, as seen in most of their entries.

Life-Life F35 W12

Team Principal: Ernesto Vita
Chief Designer: Ricardo Divila
Chief Engineer: Maurizio Ferrari
Chief Mechanic: Oliver Piazzi
Commercial Manager: Francesca Papa? (Ernesto Vita's wife)
Home track: Monza (near their base)

Driver 1: Gary Brabham
Driver 2: Bruno Giacomelli
Test driver: Franco Scapini

Livery: Red with black wings, as in all of their entries.

Modena-Lamborghini 3512

Team Principal: Carlo Patrucco
Chief Designer: Mario Tolentino
Chief Engineer: Mauro Forghieri
Chief Mechanic: Dave Morgan
Commercial Manager: Paolo Patrucco
Home track: Imola (near their base)

Driver 1: Nicola Larini
Driver 2: Eric Van de Poele
Test driver: Mauro Baldi

Livery: Dark blue with black wings, as in all of their entries.

Onyx/Monteverdi-Ford DFR

Team Principal: Mike Earle
Chief Designer: Alan Jenkins
Chief Engineer: Bernie Marcus
Chief Mechanic: Martin Dickson
Commercial Manager: Jean-Pierre van Rossem (obviously, he'll be very poorly rated)

Driver 1: Stefan Johansson
Driver 2: JJ Lehto
Test driver: Gregor Foitek

Livery: 1989 Onyx livery.

Osella-Ford DFR (or the Alfa Romeo V12 they used in 1983-84, as it looks quite dull if almost all teams are supplied by Ford)

Team Principal: Vincenzo Osella
Chief Designer: Antonio Tomaini
Chief Engineer: Giuseppe Petrotta
Chief Mechanic: Ignazio Lunetta
Commercial Manager: Giorgio Valentini
Home track: Imola (closer to their base than Monza)

Driver 1: Piercarlo Ghinzani
Driver 2: Jean-Pierre Jarier
Test driver: Huub Rothengatter

Livery: Blue/white, as in most of their entries.

Pacific-Ilmor 2175A (1994 version)

Team Principal: Keith Wiggins
Chief Designer: Frank Coppuck
Chief Engineer: Adrian Reynard
Chief Mechanic: Jerry Bond
Commercial Manager: Graeme Glew

Driver 1: Bertrand Gachot
Driver 2: Paul Belmondo
Test driver: Andrea Montermini

Livery: 1994 Pacific livery.

Rial-Ford DFZ/DFR

Team Principal: Günther Schmid
Chief Designer: Gustav Brunner
Chief Engineer: Stefan Fober
Chief Mechanic: Heini Mader?
Commercial Manager: Jo Ramirez
Home track: Hockenheim (closest to their base)

Driver 1: Andrea de Cesaris
Driver 2: Christian Danner
Test driver: Volker Weidler

Livery: Light blue/dark blue/white with black wings, as in all of their entries.

Zakspeed-Yamaha OX88

Team Principal: Erich Zakowski
Chief Designer: Paul Brown
Chief Engineer: Chris Murphy
Chief Mechanic: Heinz Zollner
Commercial Manager: Norbert Kreyer
Home track: Nürburgring (closest to their base)

Driver 1: Jonathan Palmer
Driver 2: Bernd Schneider
Test driver: Aguri Suzuki

Livery: Red/white, as in all of their entries.

Free drivers:
All drivers who were ever in any connection to the above teams (except for Brabham, from which I'll only include rejects), whether a race drive or a test drive. As this will unlikely fill the 78 driver slots, I will also include other reject drivers as well. Initial driver list to follow soon.

Race calendar:
I'll use a mixture of the late 80s/early to mid-90s race calendar, mostly with very classic tracks like Imola, Interlagos, Monza, Estoril, Suzuka etc. Customized tracks not found in the original game will include Paul Ricard and Hermanos Rodriguez, with others considered as well.
Last edited by Nuppiz on 27 Mar 2012, 15:05, edited 19 times in total.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: GPM2 F1 Rejects/The Leftovers Mod

Post by Nuppiz »

I've now been thinking about team performance, and as we know, results don't tell everything. And because this mod has teams from various seasons and very varying results (compare Onyx's podium to Life's all time "best" - not being the slowest prequalifier - for example), it's hard to get a proper balance. Unlike my other mods where I could decide the team balance more or less by looking at the WCC standings of that year, slapping them in the editor and then fine-tuning the differences via engines and personnel ratings. Qualifying results aren't a foolproof method either, thanks to Pirelli's super-stickies used in 1989-91.

Here's my provisional team list, from best to worst. The performance is not necessarily based on their actual results, but more on the amount of expectations and promise they had. Any comments are welcome!

1. Onyx - had many other promising results beyond their 3rd place at Estoril '89
2. Fondmetal - much like Simtek, had to close just when they were going to break through, many good results denied by unreliability
3. Osella - spent 10 years at the back of the grid, started showing potential just before they were sold
4. Rial - mixed it in the midfield early on, two lucky 4ths, descended into the DNQ category in 1989
5. Zakspeed - only points finish caused by heavy attrition, occasional flashes of performance during 1987
6. AGS - slow but sturdy in '87, had potential in 1988 and early 1989 largely due to their drivers, but the brave little French team eventually joined non-qualifiers
7. Modena - little results to show despite talented drivers and backing by a large corporation
8. Coloni - early on looked set for a lower midfielder, but fell into the dreadful DNQ/DNPQ category
9. Andrea Moda - awful management hid their car's potential
10. EuroBrun - early glimpse of promise turned to a littany of DNQs and DNPQs
11. Brabham '92 - only three starts & finishes (in all of them being the last car running) for the once-proud team
12. Pacific '94 - despite big talks, only qualified on merit a couple of times, the only series were Pacific Racing really failed
13. Life - no explanation needed; awful chassis and even more awful engines
Last edited by Nuppiz on 15 Mar 2012, 14:32, edited 1 time in total.
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

Nuppiz wrote:I've now been thinking about team performance, and as we know, results don't tell everything. And because this mod has teams from various seasons and very varying results (compare Onyx's podium to Life's all time "best" - not being the slowest prequalifier - for example), it's hard to get a proper balance. Unlike my other mods where I could decide the team balance more or less by looking at the WCC standings of that year, slapping them in the editor and then fine-tuning the differences via engines and personnel ratings. Qualifying results aren't a foolproof method either, thanks to Pirelli's super-stickies used in 1989-91.

Here's my provisional team list, from best to worst. The performance is not necessarily based on their actual results, but more on the amount of expectations and promise they had. Any comments are welcome!

1. Onyx - had many other promising results beyond their 3rd place at Estoril '89
2. Fondmetal - much like Simtek, had to close just when they were going to break through, many good results denied by unreliability
3. Osella - spent 10 years at the back of the grid, started showing potential just before they were sold
4. Rial - mixed it in the midfield early on, two lucky 4ths, descended into the DNQ category in 1989
5. Zakspeed - only points finish caused by heavy attrition, occasional flashes of performance during 1987
6. AGS - slow but sturdy in '87, had potential in 1988 and early 1989 largely due to their drivers, but the brave little French team eventually joined non-qualifiers
7. Andrea Moda - awful management hid their car's potential
8. Coloni - early on looked set for a lower midfielder, but fell into the dreadful DNQ/DNPQ category
9. EuroBrun - early glimpse of promise turned to a littany of DNQs and DNPQs
10. Modena - little results to show despite talented drivers and backing by a large corporation
11. Brabham '92 - only three starts & finishes (in all of them being the last car running) for the once-proud team
12. Pacific '94 - despite big talks, only qualified on merit a couple of times, the only series were Pacific Racing really failed
13. Life - no explanation needed; awful chassis and even more awful engines

In my opinion I would swap Andrea Moda and the Modena teams around.

Yes Andrea Moda had potential but they only did make 1 race, by a miracle from Moreno. Modena did manage to grace the grid a fair few times and were not the slowest team of 1991 (they did disappoint I grant you.) That and Andrea Moda was effectively a resprayed Coloni so I don't think it is fair to make them faster then Coloni!
Message me on Discord.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Shadaza wrote:In my opinion I would swap Andrea Moda and the Modena teams around.

Yes Andrea Moda had potential but they only did make 1 race, by a miracle from Moreno. Modena did manage to grace the grid a fair few times and were not the slowest team of 1991 (they did disappoint I grant you.) That and Andrea Moda was effectively a resprayed Coloni so I don't think it is fair to make them faster then Coloni!

I agree with this.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

dr-baker wrote:
Shadaza wrote:In my opinion I would swap Andrea Moda and the Modena teams around.

I agree with this.

So do I, for the most part. Modena is now 7th, Coloni 8th and Andrea Moda 9th (I still believe the S921 was better than anything EuroBrun ever did). The power difference I intend to give between the different engines will also shuffle the pack a bit. This is probably the first time ever that I can make each team have their own engine slot, which allows for very fine tuning of the performance.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

I see a problem. I think GPM2 won't be able to handle so many DNQs and DNPQs :lol:
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Ferrim wrote:I see a problem. I think GPM2 won't be able to handle so many DNQs and DNPQs :lol:

With Life on the grid, I don't think there's much doubt which team will always DNQ in this mod. :lol:

I wish that GPM1 was as moddable as GPM2, IIRC it allowed much more teams at once than GPM2.

E: yep, a whopping 16 teams at once is possible in GPM1. If only someone could import that bit into GPM2...
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

There is a leftover from GPM1 in GPM2 related with that. In the team selection screen, whenever you try to choose more than 4 human-controlled teams, a window appears which says that GPM2 allows between 1 and 4 human-controlled teams, and a minimum of 13 teams. 13 teams as you know is the total number of teams in GPM2; the minimum is 10. But in GPM1 the minimum was in fact 13, out of 16.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Made some progress today, got almost all personnel slots filled (Engineering F1, F1 Rejects, Stats F1, F1 Nostalgia and ChicaneF1 being my sources), Osella's and Rial's commercial managers are the only ones of which I have no clue (Gianfranco Palazzoli is already used by Fondmetal, otherwise he would be with Osella), and a few others are unsure but I couldn't find any better ones either. Also got all team logos done.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Update: Giorgio Valentini, a designer for Osella has been put as their Commercial Manager as with Osella's skeleton staff it could very well be that Vincenzo made all the deals himself. But with no alternatives I've put Valentini there. (kudos to Backmarker from the GPM2World forums for pointing this out)

For Rial, I decided to put Jo Ramirez back from the days when Günther Schmid ran the ATS team. I think that's the best choice at the moment.

Currently working on the drivers, at the moment I have 59 drivers lined up, all of which have at some point driven to the teams listed (except Brabham drivers and drivers that have been killed in motorsports). That leaves 19 slots, so if there's some in particular you'd like to see in the mod, tell me about it in the topic!
Last edited by Nuppiz on 18 Mar 2012, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

I noticed a mistake in your original post. Corrado Fabi didn't spend his whole career for Brabham. He spent his only full season at Osella, and did three further races with Brabham the next year.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

tommykl wrote:I noticed a mistake in your original post. Corrado Fabi didn't spend his whole career for Brabham. He spent his only full season at Osella, and did three further races with Brabham the next year.

Yes, a rather rejectful mistake by me. :oops: I've removed that remark from the post.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

More progress made today, as I put the drivers in the mod. Every black box with red edges is an empty driver slot. Backgrounds aren't even started yet, so don't wonder that...

Experienced Pool:

Rookie Pool:

Every driver's statistics are their full career statistics, however their age is based on their age during their best (or only) season with their respective teams (for drivers that are not in any teams, it's their age when they raced for the team of which connection got them into this mod in the first place, or if they never raced, then it's the age when they were connected to one of the teams).
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

Re. Drivers: Seeing that many rejects came from the Italian F3 series, you should include drivers like Emanuele Naspetti, Fabrizio Giovarnardi or Roberto Colgiaco. While they would have ended up as rejects, they made great touring car drivers. Which brings up to the next category, touring car drivers: If Jo Winkelhock or Gabriele Tarquini are in this mod, then you should include Frank Biela, Steve Soper and so on. Last but not least, you should try to find drivers from "exotic" places. Like Ratankul Prutirat, former FIA GT and ITC driver from Thailand.
MIA SAN MIA!
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

How about the drivers for the teams in the 90's that never really raced.

You have Erik Comas and Emmanuel Collard linked with DAMS.
Shinji Nakano was linked with the Dome project.
Jos Verstappen test drove for the abandoned 99 Honda project.

Maybe even Rosset and Sospiri for the Lola.

I know you included these teams (and for Lola the drivers) in your mods but even so maybe they deserve a place here.
Message me on Discord.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Ferrarist wrote:Re. Drivers: Seeing that many rejects came from the Italian F3 series, you should include drivers like Emanuele Naspetti, Fabrizio Giovarnardi or Roberto Colgiaco. While they would have ended up as rejects, they made great touring car drivers. Which brings up to the next category, touring car drivers: If Jo Winkelhock or Gabriele Tarquini are in this mod, then you should include Frank Biela, Steve Soper and so on. Last but not least, you should try to find drivers from "exotic" places. Like Ratankul Prutirat, former FIA GT and ITC driver from Thailand.

Well, a lot of the drivers come from Italian F3 quite simply because they usually had connections only in the lower end of the grid, or failed to impress in the lower classes and had to buy their way in one of the many teams struggling with money. I think Naspetti could get in, he wasn't half bad in his few F1 outings. As for the others you mentioned, they might get in if there's enough space.

When it comes to touring cars, however, I'm a bit skeptical. Gabriele Tarquini and Joachim Winkelhock are both included because they drove for some of the teams listed (Tarquini for AGS, Coloni, Fondmetal and Osella, Winkelhock for AGS). But in general I'd like all the drivers included to have at least some connection to F1 - a test drive or just rumoured-to-be drives. Speaking of which, I just remembered one Finn - Harri Toivonen, brother of the late rally great Henri - who, at least according to some Finnish sources, had a F1 contract with Pacific in 1995, but it fell through after his sponsors pulled out at the last minute. He's another possibility for an inclusion as well (hey, I'm a Finn after all!). As for exotic nationalities, well there's currently two nationalities that are no used by anything in the mod (Ireland and Denmark), so that is not an issue and could be taken into consideration.
Shadaza wrote:How about the drivers for the teams in the 90's that never really raced.

You have Erik Comas and Emmanuel Collard linked with DAMS.
Shinji Nakano was linked with the Dome project.
Jos Verstappen test drove for the abandoned 99 Honda project.

Maybe even Rosset and Sospiri for the Lola.

I know you included these teams (and for Lola the drivers) in your mods but even so maybe they deserve a place here.

Actually, Backmarker from the GPM2World forums had a similar idea:
Backmarker wrote:How about some rejects who never got their start in F1 thanks to signing contracts for teams that never got off the ground:

José María López (USF1 2010)
James Rossiter (USF1 2010)
Vincenzo Sospiri (Lola 1997)
Christian Pescatori (Durango 1996)
Oliver Gavin (Pacific 1996)
Christophe Bouchut (Larrousse 1995)
Eric Hélary (Larrousse 1995)
Gil de Ferran (Ikuzawa 1994)
Kenny Bräck (Ikuzawa 1994)
Jordi Gené (Bravo 1993)
Giovanni Aloi (GLAS 1991)
Fulvio Ballabio (Ekström 1986)

As you can see, Gavin is already included in the mod thanks to his Pacific test duties. Lola was such an epic fail that I'm ready to give Sospiri a slot here. Other drivers also taken into heavy consideration:
Giovanni Aloi - the GLAS project eventually turned into Modena-Lambo. Also, the mod currently has no Mexican drivers, and he would certainly be a good addition in that sense
Gil de Ferran - tested for a few F1 teams, never made it
Kenny Bräck - see de Ferran; also, another Swedish driver besides Johansson would be welcome
Emmanuel Collard - regular tester for multiple F1 teams in the 90s, never got a race drive
Christophe Bouchut and Eric Helary - won the 1993 Le Mans 24 Hours

That's 70 drivers, if my count is correct.... ah what the heck, let's give Jos the Boss a drive as well. Jose Maria Lopez and James Rossiter are perhaps a bit too recent and would look odd amongst all the 80s/90s drivers, so they're out in the cold. Mimmo Schiattarella drove the EuroBrun at the 1990 Indoor Trophy. Rosset gets in by being among the worst F1 drivers I remember watching on TV, that makes it 73. Five slots still left! I'll edit the aforementioned drivers in now.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Updated driver pools.

Experienced Pool:

Rookie Pool:

On a side note, why the heck I'm now finding so many good images that I would've already needed in my earlier mods two to four years ago? Sheesh!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

If Gil de Ferran and Kenny Brack are included, then surely former Benetton test driver and master of disaster Paul Tracy deserves a slot :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Apparently Bas Leinders was refused a super license, which is about the most recent example, except for Loeb, which prevented him from driving in a practice session for Minardi - pretty rejectful if the FIA don't even trust you to drive in a practice session.

An even better fit for this mod would be Akihikio Nakaya, who was Brabham's first pick ahead of Amati, but denied a super license.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Backmarker wrote:An even better fit for this mod would be Akihikio Nakaya, who was Brabham's first pick ahead of Amati, but denied a super license.

Actually, Nakaya is already there, in the rookie pool. ;)

For the last three slots (all of which are non-pictures, mind you), there's quite a competition. There's Paul Tracy suggested by Wizzie; Italian F3/touring car drivers suggested by Ferrarist; and finally Bas Leinders, Brett Lunger and non-qualifiers from the 1952 Italian GP (purpotedly the first occasion when drivers failed to qualify purely because of slow laptimes) suggested by Backmarker.

Personally, I'm awful at deciding this kind of things, so it's all up to public vote now! Three drivers who have received the most votes at the end of this month get into the mod (I can also drop someone to free a slot, if you want to); in the meantime, I'll work on other things related to it, such as cars (still need someone to draw the topdowns), background images and trying to achieve a proper balance between the teams.
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

Nuppiz wrote:
Backmarker wrote:An even better fit for this mod would be Akihikio Nakaya, who was Brabham's first pick ahead of Amati, but denied a super license.

Actually, Nakaya is already there, in the rookie pool. ;)

For the last three slots (all of which are non-pictures, mind you), there's quite a competition. There's Paul Tracy suggested by Wizzie; Italian F3/touring car drivers suggested by Ferrarist; and finally Bas Leinders, Brett Lunger and non-qualifiers from the 1952 Italian GP (purpotedly the first occasion when drivers failed to qualify purely because of slow laptimes) suggested by Backmarker.

Personally, I'm awful at deciding this kind of things, so it's all up to public vote now! Three drivers who have received the most votes at the end of this month get into the mod (I can also drop someone to free a slot, if you want to); in the meantime, I'll work on other things related to it, such as cars (still need someone to draw the topdowns), background images and trying to achieve a proper balance between the teams.

Well I would eliminate the 1952 drivers, because I don't think they fit the 90's flavour of the mod. Plus technically that fact isn't true what with the indy 500's counting in the championship!
I'd vote for Paul Tracy and Bas Leinders.

I'd also nominate Chanoch Nissany just for a laugh!
Message me on Discord.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Shadaza wrote:Well I would eliminate the 1952 drivers, because I don't think they fit the 90's flavour of the mod. Plus technically that fact isn't true what with the indy 500's counting in the championship!

It's a little pedantic (so I will continue :D ), but the 1952 drivers are the first drivers to fail to qualify for a grand prix, because alhough the Indy 500 was a round of the championship, it wasn't classified as a grand prix. First actual US Grand Prix that was an F1 round was 1959's race at Sebring. I don't disagree with your reason for eliminating the 1952 drivers though. Sadly for Alberto Crespo and Piero Dusio, the 1952 Italian Grand Prix was the only F1 event they ever entered, so they never got to drive in a grand prix.
The Iceman Waiteth
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

Backmarker wrote:
Shadaza wrote:Well I would eliminate the 1952 drivers, because I don't think they fit the 90's flavour of the mod. Plus technically that fact isn't true what with the indy 500's counting in the championship!

It's a little pedantic (so I will continue :D ), but the 1952 drivers are the first drivers to fail to qualify for a grand prix, because alhough the Indy 500 was a round of the championship, it wasn't classified as a grand prix. First actual US Grand Prix that was an F1 round was 1959's race at Sebring. I don't disagree with your reason for eliminating the 1952 drivers though. Sadly for Alberto Crespo and Piero Dusio, the 1952 Italian Grand Prix was the only F1 event they ever entered, so they never got to drive in a grand prix.

lets call it a draw :lol:
Message me on Discord.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

More progress made, as I finished the car side views (and the tiny "matchbox" cars as well):
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

This is a bucket of win. Plain and simple.

What are the engines for this mod? The Subaru engine has got to be among the spares :D

I also see for Zakspeed you decided to go for the Yameha and not the Zakspeed (*edit* duh because it was a turbo -.-)
Message me on Discord.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Shadaza wrote:This is a bucket of win. Plain and simple.

What are the engines for this mod? The Subaru engine has got to be among the spares :D

I also see for Zakspeed you decided to go for the Yameha and not the Zakspeed (*edit* duh because it was a turbo -.-)

A plethora of Fords: three DFRs (one for each team that uses one; it's rare for me to have such luxury to hone the team balance in that way), two DFZs (one for Coloni and one "generic" model), and HBA5 (Fondmetal), Judd GV (Brabham and Andrea Moda) and CV (EuroBrun), Yamaha OX88 (Zakspeed), Ilmor 2175A (Pacific), Alfa Romeo 1260 (Osella), Lamborghini 3512 (Modena) and of course Life uses their own F35 W12, which is almost 200hp weaker than the others. Extra engines are the Neotech V12 which was almost used by EuroBrun in 1990, Subaru F12 1235, and another utter failure known as Porsche V12. If you want more choices, then I can always cut back on the Fords. For example, because there's obviously too few V12s in the mod (almost half of all engines!), I could put the Moteurs Guy Negré W12 which was tested in the back of an old AGS in 1989; it's quite interesting because based on what I've read, it was in fact a rotary engine!
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

Why not adding the BRM 3.5l-V12 engine, which was used in the 1992 World Sportscar Championship? It was derived from an old Weslake engine from the 60's, so there is some link to F1. The BRM engine (Or rather the BRM P351) was such an epic fail, it might have given the Life W12 a run for its money, if it ever raced in F1.
MIA SAN MIA!
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Got the first topdown car done - it's the 1991 Leyton House/March repainted in 1989 EuroBrun orange. Of course, I'd really appreciate if someone would draw me these from scratch, but if no-one is available for that, then I'll just have to make do with repaints (as I suck with drawing these from scratch myself).

The menu picture you can see in the background is in fact the only one I've made so far - didn't feel like seeing Senna & Prost there so I replaced the picture with a contemplating Christian Danner in his Rial ARC-02.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

I took a huge leap forward after I noticed that in the past couple of years some really good 1989-92 mods for F1C 99-02 have been released. While the game itself is pretty much useless to me as it doesn't work properly on my computer anymore, it can still help me in providing decent topdown screenshots which I can then modify to GPM2 standards. Alas, I had to change the colours for AGS and EuroBrun because the mods I downloaded don't use the ones I had originally thought them to use. Note that Osella is not taken from F1C, but it's instead a repainted 1991 Leyton House. Most of these topdowns don't look pretty, although in many cases it's more caused by GPM2's very limited palette. But at the moment they're the best I can get, so if you want better ones, then make some! :P

ImageImage

New car colors:
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Nuppiz wrote:I took a huge leap forward after I noticed that in the past couple of years some really good 1989-92 mods for F1C 99-02 have been released.

They look really good, I look forward to playing this!
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

When it comes down between Paul Tracy and some random Italian F3 driver, I'll cast my vote for the guy who made Nelson Piquet and Eliseo Salazar look like wussies. Paul Tracy!

BTW, may I recommend an IndyCar mod afterwards? Even though a 2012 mod is much better to realize than a 90's mod, because of the possibilities of different aerokits for each team. Still, I'd like to see a proper Indy mod. 8-)
MIA SAN MIA!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Ferrarist wrote:When it comes down between Paul Tracy and some random Italian F3 driver, I'll cast my vote for the guy who made Nelson Piquet and Eliseo Salazar look like wussies. Paul Tracy!

BTW, may I recommend an IndyCar mod afterwards? Even though a 2012 mod is much better to realize than a 90's mod, because of the possibilities of different aerokits for each team. Still, I'd like to see a proper Indy mod. 8-)

Personally, I want a late 90s-early 2000s CART mod first. Kanaan, Brack, Moore, Fernandez, Tracy, Franchitti, Castroneves, Little Al, Montoya, De Ferran, Zanardi... hell, it's a who's who of Open Wheel Racing (And yes, I am one of those people who firmly believe late 90s - early 2000s CART was better than their counterparts in F1 at the time)
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

Wizzie wrote:
Ferrarist wrote:When it comes down between Paul Tracy and some random Italian F3 driver, I'll cast my vote for the guy who made Nelson Piquet and Eliseo Salazar look like wussies. Paul Tracy!

Personally, I want a late 90s-early 2000s CART mod first. Kanaan, Brack, Moore, Fernandez, Tracy, Franchitti, Castroneves, Little Al, Montoya, De Ferran, Zanardi... hell, it's a who's who of Open Wheel Racing (And yes, I am one of those people who firmly believe late 90s - early 2000s CART was better than their counterparts in F1 at the time)

I'm with you. Even though a lot of tracks would have to be created for that, late 90's CART is something I'd like to see. Or perhaps some fictional late 90's IRL vs. CART set, so you could do Indy with Ganassi while they still had Zanardi as their driver. :D
MIA SAN MIA!
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Ferrarist wrote:I'm with you. Even though a lot of tracks would have to be created for that, late 90's CART is something I'd like to see. Or perhaps some fictional late 90's IRL vs. CART set, so you could do Indy with Ganassi while they still had Zanardi as their driver. :D

Well, GPM1 has an oval track which can easily be imported to GPM2 (as both games have identical track formats). But besides that, most tracks would have to be made from scratch. Things like the FIA being involved can be easily changed, there's a great tool called Resource Hacker with which I can modify most of the text strings in the game to read the correct CART/IRL authorities instead.

I'll work on this (The Leftovers Mod, that is) again today, after I've finished with the current RoLFS GP.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Nuppiz wrote:
Ferrarist wrote:I'm with you. Even though a lot of tracks would have to be created for that, late 90's CART is something I'd like to see. Or perhaps some fictional late 90's IRL vs. CART set, so you could do Indy with Ganassi while they still had Zanardi as their driver. :D

Well, GPM1 has an oval track which can easily be imported to GPM2 (as both games have identical track formats). But besides that, most tracks would have to be made from scratch. Things like the FIA being involved can be easily changed, there's a great tool called Resource Hacker with which I can modify most of the text strings in the game to read the correct CART/IRL authorities instead.

I'll work on this (The Leftovers Mod, that is) again today, after I've finished with the current RoLFS GP.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard somewhere GPM2 and GP2 have very similar code. Is that true?
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Wizzie wrote:
Nuppiz wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard somewhere GPM2 and GP2 have very similar code. Is that true?

Although they were both published by Microprose, they were made by different companies (GPM2 by Edcom and GP2 by Geoff Crammond), so if there are any similarities it would only be in language used, if that. Micropose offered Edcom the chance to make GPM because they owned the rights to make F1 games when they were publishing GP2, so they wanted to milk it for all they could.

I actually interviewed Edward Grabowski who was in charge of Edcom, and Steven Goodwin who was lead programmer if you're interested in reading more about the making of the games.

EDIT: When I say language used I mean programming language, obviously, not English. Though they probably were programmed in English :lol:
The Iceman Waiteth
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Backmarker wrote:
Wizzie wrote:
Nuppiz wrote:Well, GPM1 has an oval track which can easily be imported to GPM2 (as both games have identical track formats). But besides that, most tracks would have to be made from scratch. Things like the FIA being involved can be easily changed, there's a great tool called Resource Hacker with which I can modify most of the text strings in the game to read the correct CART/IRL authorities instead.

Although they were both published by Microprose, they were made by different companies (GPM2 by Edcom and GP2 by Geoff Crammond), so if there are any similarities it would only be in language used, if that. Micropose offered Edcom the chance to make GPM because they owned the rights to make F1 games when they were publishing GP2, so they wanted to milk it for all they could.

I actually interviewed Edward Grabowski who was in charge of Edcom, and Steven Goodwin who was lead programmer if you're interested in reading more about the making of the games.

EDIT: When I say language used I mean programming language, obviously, not English. Though they probably were programmed in English :lol:

Ah, thanks for the clarification. And I know what you mean by language (Thank HWNSNBM for Year 9 and 10 IST :lol: )
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Backmarker wrote:Although they were both published by Microprose, they were made by different companies (GPM2 by Edcom and GP2 by Geoff Crammond), so if there are any similarities it would only be in language used, if that. Micropose offered Edcom the chance to make GPM because they owned the rights to make F1 games when they were publishing GP2, so they wanted to milk it for all they could.

Well, GPM1 and GP2 sure do have a lot of similarities in their graphics, such as in the style of the menus etc. They could've used the same artist for both games or maybe it's just a coincidence.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

More updates, here's some menu screens I've done (about 50% finished):

Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

I finished with all the rest of the menu pictures today, so that leaves only the news pictures, fine tuning of the config, deciding the race calendar and a possible conversion to 1.02B exe on my to-do list! I also started thinking about car numbers today: I try to use real-life numbers as much as possible, but of course it's not always possible due to the teams having been active in different seasons. Here's my current numbering system; if you want any changes to it, write about it in the topic.

Brabham
7, 8 (actual numbers used in 1992)

Zakspeed
9, 10 (actual numbers used in 1987-88)

Fondmetal
14, 15 (actual numbers used in 1992)

Pacific
16, 17 (actual numbers used in 1995, 1994 numbers already reserved by EuroBrun and Modena)

Osella
21, 22 (actual numbers used in 1986)

Andrea Moda
28, 29 (compromise to avoid overlapping with Onyx)

Coloni
30, 31 (compromise to avoid overlapping with EuroBrun)

EuroBrun
32, 33 (actual numbers used in 1988)

Modena
34, 35 (actual numbers used in 1991)

Onyx
36, 37 (actual numbers used in 1989)

Rial
38, 39 (actual numbers used in 1989)

AGS
40, 41 (actual numbers used in 1989)

Life
42, 43 (compromise: the withdrawn FIRST Racing entry was appointed number 42 in 1989, and as we know Life was based on that chassis)

Also, here's the current list of engines: MGN W12 (tested in the back of an AGS in 1989), two versions of Ford DFR, Ford DFZ, Ford HBA5, Yamaha OX88, Neotech V12 (almost used by EuroBrun in 1990), Ilmor 2175A, Lamborghini 3512, Alfa Romeo 1260, Judd CV, Judd GV, BRM V12 (the one suggested by Ferrarist), Porsche 3512, Subaru F1235 and Life F35 W12. Again, comments are welcome!