The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
by mario 21 May 2018, 17:55
novitopoli wrote:Apparently there are rumours floating around that Hartley is going to be sacked after Monaco.

Source (in Dutch)

There were a few people mentioning in Barcelona that Hartley might be replaced, but not that the axe might fall quite that soon. It would be a shame if it did happen, though it would be in keeping with Red Bull's usual behaviour and it has to be said that Hartley hasn't exactly had a great start to the season.

Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
by sswishbone 21 May 2018, 19:26
Hartley being dropped would be a disappointment but in keeping with Red Bull's instant gratification approach to drivers. Look at Sauber, Le Clerc looked to be a big disappointment in the first few races... They ignored the negativity and helped him iron it out to two points finishes the car had absolutely no right of bagging.

"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
by Simtek 25 May 2018, 13:36
...why do people use "OT" as an abbreviation for "off-topic" when it can just as easily mean "on-topic"?
by Fetzie 25 May 2018, 16:43
Simtek wrote:...why do people use "OT" as an abbreviation for "off-topic" when it can just as easily mean "on-topic"?


I think it is because the default assumption when commenting in a thread is that you're staying "on-topic" :)
by Rob Dylan 25 May 2018, 19:46
How come a fat chance and a slim chance are the same level of chance?

Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.


Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
by dr-baker 25 May 2018, 20:25
Simtek wrote:...why do people use "OT" as an abbreviation for "off-topic" when it can just as easily mean "on-topic"?

Oh. I thought it meant Occupational Therapist. :oops:

watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
by This Could Be You 25 May 2018, 22:02
dr-baker wrote:
Simtek wrote:...why do people use "OT" as an abbreviation for "off-topic" when it can just as easily mean "on-topic"?

Oh. I thought it meant Occupational Therapist. :oops:

You mean it doesn't refer to Estonian rally driver Ott Tanak? :P (funnily enough, this thread is going further and further OT...)

Your Signature Here
Shameless Plug: Virtual BTCC 2010-Now with NGTC engines, LPG, three new teams and a lot less bugs! Rounds 1-21 are Up!
by TheFlyingCaterham 25 May 2018, 23:51
This Could Be You wrote:
dr-baker wrote:
Simtek wrote:...why do people use "OT" as an abbreviation for "off-topic" when it can just as easily mean "on-topic"?

Oh. I thought it meant Occupational Therapist. :oops:

You mean it doesn't refer to Estonian rally driver Ott Tanak? :P (funnily enough, this thread is going further and further OT...)

And further ironically enough I can't quite tell whether you mean on-topic or off-topic

Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
by Simtek 26 May 2018, 07:15
Rob Dylan wrote:How come a fat chance and a slim chance are the same level of chance?

I think in this instance "fat chance" is supposed to be delivered in a sarcastic tone (which seems to be the most common usage), but its usage is vulnerable to misinterpretation in much the same way that it's common for people to say "I could care less" in contexts where they really should be saying "I couldn't care less".
by Simtek 13 Jun 2018, 13:51
For 1,049 internet points, who can tell me and everyone else here what's wrong with the following post?* https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... _the_1950/

*Answers to the tune of "it's Reddit" will not be accepted, although it is a place I have mixed feelings about at the best of times.
by takagi_for_the_win 13 Jun 2018, 18:46
Simtek wrote:For 1,049 internet points, who can tell me and everyone else here what's wrong with the following post?* https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... _the_1950/

*Answers to the tune of "it's Reddit" will not be accepted, although it is a place I have mixed feelings about at the best of times.


Oooooooh, I'm gonna guess that it wasn't called the "British Grand Prix", or something along those lines?

TORA! TORA! TORA!
by Salamander 13 Jun 2018, 18:50
Simtek wrote:For 1,049 internet points, who can tell me and everyone else here what's wrong with the following post?* https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... _the_1950/

*Answers to the tune of "it's Reddit" will not be accepted, although it is a place I have mixed feelings about at the best of times.


Well, I don't think there's actually anything-- WAIT A MINUTE

SINCE WHEN DID THEY HAVE COLOUR PHOTOGRAPHS IN 1950!?

(j/k, actually those aren't Alfa Romeos at all - at least, not the ones that raced in the 1950 British GP)

Klon wrote:I am most British
Normal32 wrote:i am most British

Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
by Aguvazk 13 Jun 2018, 20:07
Salamander wrote:
Well, I don't think there's actually anything-- WAIT A MINUTE

SINCE WHEN DID THEY HAVE COLOUR PHOTOGRAPHS IN 1950!?

(j/k, actually those aren't Alfa Romeos at all - at least, not the ones that raced in the 1950 British GP)


Yes, i look that french flag and it's look odd...

I'm not a serious person
by dr-baker 13 Jun 2018, 23:16
Aguvazk wrote:
Salamander wrote:
Well, I don't think there's actually anything-- WAIT A MINUTE

SINCE WHEN DID THEY HAVE COLOUR PHOTOGRAPHS IN 1950!?

(j/k, actually those aren't Alfa Romeos at all - at least, not the ones that raced in the 1950 British GP)


Yes, i look that french flag and it's look odd...

At the 1950 British Grand Prix, Fangio had the number 1 while Farina had 2. And it was then known as the World Championship for Drivers, in the fourth year of the FIA running races for Formula 1 cars.

watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
by Simtek 14 Jun 2018, 11:26
takagi_for_the_win wrote:Oooooooh, I'm gonna guess that it wasn't called the "British Grand Prix", or something along those lines?

This is correct, if not what I was looking for. That year the RAC was awarded the "European Grand Prix" title, although by that stage it didn't really mean much.

Salamander wrote:(j/k, actually those aren't Alfa Romeos at all - at least, not the ones that raced in the 1950 British GP)

They are Alfas, but you are right that they are not the same ones from the Grand Prix. These ones have smaller radiator grilles, which I suspect was a choice made because this was a shorter distance race and cooling was less of an issue than it would be in a 500km Grand Prix.

dr-baker wrote:At the 1950 British Grand Prix, Fangio had the number 1 while Farina had 2. And it was then known as the World Championship for Drivers, in the fourth year of the FIA running races for Formula 1 cars.

And this is also correct (well, except for the FIA running races part). Fangio and Farina have the wrong numbers, there seems to be no garage space for Fagioli and Parnell, and Archie Butterworth (love the redundant acronym in the sign) is at the race when he wasn't even an entrant.

This is all because it's not the British Grand Prix, but the BRDC International Trophy three months later: The same race where the BRM disaster began, and the first Formula 1 race where Stirling Moss was a participant (I think) albeit in a Formula 2 HWM-Alta (did fantastically well to finish 6th ahead of a bunch of other F1 cars).

I know it's Reddit and all, but I'm kind of surprised not a single person seemed to notice the discrepancy at the time it was posted.
by AustralianStig 15 Jun 2018, 08:18
Simtek wrote:For 1,049 internet points, who can tell me and everyone else here what's wrong with the following post?* https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... _the_1950/

Round 2: For 1,050 internet points, who can tell me the unusual thing about the photo of these hypersoft tyres?

Image

Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
by good_Ralf 15 Jun 2018, 14:27
Isn't that the 2017 Mercedes that those hypers are on?

Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
by dinizintheoven 15 Jun 2018, 21:18
It is, so it's "that race they had pink ultrasoft tyres for some reason I forgot".

James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Online
by AustralianStig 16 Jun 2018, 05:20
dinizintheoven wrote:It is, so it's "that race they had pink ultrasoft tyres for some reason I forgot".

Correct, 2017 US Grand Prix to raise awareness for breast cancer research, and probably the only race ever with pink tyres and no halo.

Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
by Rob Dylan 17 Jun 2018, 10:55
Why wasn't Herbert on Ferrari's radar when they were picking a second driver to partner Schumacher in 1996? To me, who's almost finished watching the 1995 season, it would seem logical to me to bring Herbert over with the star driver, and do a complete swap between Benetton and Ferrari. Herbert was a perfectly dependable number two, and wasn't nearly as far behind Schumacher as Irvine in 1996. In hindsight you can see Irvine improve in comparison to Schumacher, but it seems strange in context that Ferrari didn't want Johnny alongside Schumacher for at least a season or two.

Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.


Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
by Simtek 17 Jun 2018, 11:36
Rob Dylan wrote:Why wasn't Herbert on Ferrari's radar when they were picking a second driver to partner Schumacher in 1996? To me, who's almost finished watching the 1995 season, it would seem logical to me to bring Herbert over with the star driver, and do a complete swap between Benetton and Ferrari. Herbert was a perfectly dependable number two, and wasn't nearly as far behind Schumacher as Irvine in 1996. In hindsight you can see Irvine improve in comparison to Schumacher, but it seems strange in context that Ferrari didn't want Johnny alongside Schumacher for at least a season or two.

For all we know they did, but I seriously doubt Johnny would have wanted to go from being de facto number two at Benetton to contractual number two at Ferrari. He always lacked Irvine's... unique mindset.

EDIT: Grandprix.com to the rescue again:
Herbert, who is also having discussions with Jordan-Peugeot and a third team, which is probably Tyrrell, says he will not join Ferrari next year even if they asked him because he does not want to have play second fiddle to Michael Schumacher for another year.
by Klon 17 Jun 2018, 11:44
Rob Dylan wrote:Why wasn't Herbert on Ferrari's radar when they were picking a second driver to partner Schumacher in 1996? To me, who's almost finished watching the 1995 season, it would seem logical to me to bring Herbert over with the star driver, and do a complete swap between Benetton and Ferrari. Herbert was a perfectly dependable number two, and wasn't nearly as far behind Schumacher as Irvine in 1996. In hindsight you can see Irvine improve in comparison to Schumacher, but it seems strange in context that Ferrari didn't want Johnny alongside Schumacher for at least a season or two.


Because Herbert is as fun as a pack of flour. If you hire a designated number two driver, you either hire someone with the potential to eventually become a number one driver (e.g. Rubens Barrichello in 2000, Felipe Massa in 2006) or someone who is entertaining (e.g. Mark Webber ever since 2011, Eddie Irvine in 1996). :dance:

I CAN'T SEE THE FUTURE!
by Rob Dylan 17 Jun 2018, 21:50
It's fair enough if he didn't want to do it---looking back on it from a modern perspective (I wasn't very old around then) I'm thinking Herbert would be the prime driver to partner Schumacher at Ferrari in the coming year. I would argue Ferrari were worse off for failing to convince him.

Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.


Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], dinizintheoven, Google [Bot] and 1 guest