The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
by Ataxia 11 Apr 2019, 20:17
Anyone who says "well ACKTUEUAURLLY it's not 1000" needs to get in the bin.

Pretty tasty lids for the Renault lads - feel like a throwback helmet race (much like the Darlington 500) would be a nice addition for future F1 seasons.

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
by yannicksamlad 12 Apr 2019, 09:23
Yep nice to see some retro helmet designs. I know I am old and set in my ways , but some of the more modern designs look best close up but seem a bit too 'busy' and detailed so that they dont seem to work very well at distance.
And the commonplace horizontal 'sponsor' ring doesnt help, although some drivers seem to get away without that ... The Red Bull squad are a bit restricted too. Credit to Kvyat for having made the best of it.
Of course Ricciardo's retro special is oodles better than his 2019 design in my view (which is distinctive, and horrible) .

Anyway , it's race 3 , and I can't wait to find out the relative performance of the big 3, and who comes out the midfield pack with credit

I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
by East Londoner 12 Apr 2019, 19:06
Ataxia wrote:Anyone who says "well ACKTUEUAURLLY it's not 1000" needs to get in the bin.


You're only saying things like this because they've put it in your contract. :pantano:

Gonzalez wrote: I may be black but I'm not a scammer


WaffleCat wrote: Let's just say, I could probably last longer in bed than Haas in Interlagos.
by Wallio 13 Apr 2019, 14:37
FortiWinks wrote:*joins UncreativeUsername37 in bin*


Scoot over lads.

EDIT: After watching quali, can we stop with all the faux-shock over Ferrari's pace? "Oh, I'm so surprised Ferraris on new tyres can't match the Mercedes." Why? At what point all year has it looked liked the Mercs were at any threat at all during a Saturday? I get that its TV and you need to keep your viewers tuned in, but man, come on.

The Unquestioned, Undisputed Holder of the Title of World's Fastest Historian

"What are you gonna say? The guy raced against two cars last year and finished second so I don't think I can say a lot about him" - Tony Kanaan about Lewis Hamilton
by mario 13 Apr 2019, 20:52
Wallio wrote:
FortiWinks wrote:*joins UncreativeUsername37 in bin*


Scoot over lads.

EDIT: After watching quali, can we stop with all the faux-shock over Ferrari's pace? "Oh, I'm so surprised Ferraris on new tyres can't match the Mercedes." Why? At what point all year has it looked liked the Mercs were at any threat at all during a Saturday? I get that its TV and you need to keep your viewers tuned in, but man, come on.

I can understand why there would have been an expectation that Ferrari were going to be more competitive, because this circuit has one of the longest straights on the calendar.

If you compare the onboard footage, you can see that the SF90's acceleration rate is higher than that of the W10, and their end of straight speed is higher (both Ferrari's topped the speed traps, with Vettel a full 5kph faster than Bottas). To illustrate that acceleration advantage, if you compare the onboard footage from Vettel and Bottas on their best laps, Bottas's hits 182kph at the apex of the corner, giving him an 11kph advantage over Vettel (who was doing 171kph) - however, by the time that they reach the finish line, Vettel has gone from being 11kph slower to 4kph faster (he was doing 276kph, versus 272kph for Bottas).

I think what has caught people out is the fact that the SF90 is a lot slower through the low speed corners than expected. They're losing 10-15kph to the W10, to the point where the SF90 might even be slower than some of the midfield cars - they might have been expected to be slightly slower than their rivals in the slower corners, but not to be quite that far off the pace.

Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
by Wallio 13 Apr 2019, 22:49
See I figured those same features would have helped Red Bull, not Ferrari. Newey always makes a slippery car and the Honda is supposedly close on power. I missed on that one admittedly lol.

I still say Ferrari has some form of technical issue. Still can't quite place it though. I don't expect much improvement until Spain at the earliest.

The Unquestioned, Undisputed Holder of the Title of World's Fastest Historian

"What are you gonna say? The guy raced against two cars last year and finished second so I don't think I can say a lot about him" - Tony Kanaan about Lewis Hamilton
by good_Ralf 14 Apr 2019, 08:02
While you can't blame Liberty/FOM for trying to celebrate a milestone of some sorts in Formula 1, and get us understandably excited, that was a rather processional race, although China is a mixed bag for sure. Shame, hopefully Baku gives us something to genuinely surprise us.

Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
by IceG 15 Apr 2019, 07:16
I've watched replays of the Norris/Sainz/Kvyat incident perhaps ten times now from several angles, car cameras and at various speeds.

It looks to me like Norris was actually off the track and was struck by Kvyat as he attempted to re-join the circuit, i.e. Kvyat was wobbling over to the left and Norris was moving right. The stewards must have had more information for them to find Kvyat at fault but still a harsh decision (IMHO). Perhaps the "just let them race" directive has a caveat or two?

What a tedious race that was :(
by yannicksamlad 15 Apr 2019, 09:14
Agreed - really didnt see why Kvyat got a penalty. One McLaren is off track and rejoining, the other one has tried to go around the outside. Kvyat might have just left enough room for one McLaren on his left, but not for 2 - so there is quite a bump for the Toro Rosso with Sainz ( seen from the front - as the field stream around ) , and with Sainz braking to avoid Lando, this leaves the Toro Rosso to wobble into Lando . On lap 1 - why the penalty? Arguably Lando rejoining was as much a cause as the amount of room Kvyat left on the outside

I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
by AustralianStig 16 Apr 2019, 04:46
IceG wrote:I've watched replays of the Norris/Sainz/Kvyat incident perhaps ten times now from several angles, car cameras and at various speeds.

I kept hoping they would show an on-board from Sainz's car, but for some reason they didn't (unless I missed it). Is it available anywhere? From Kvyat's car you couldn't see the full story on the initial impact, and from Norris' car you just couldn't see anything except his car nearly going into orbit.

Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
by yannicksamlad 16 Apr 2019, 08:05
AustralianStig wrote:
IceG wrote:I've watched replays of the Norris/Sainz/Kvyat incident perhaps ten times now from several angles, car cameras and at various speeds.

I kept hoping they would show an on-board from Sainz's car, but for some reason they didn't (unless I missed it). Is it available anywhere? From Kvyat's car you couldn't see the full story on the initial impact, and from Norris' car you just couldn't see anything except his car nearly going into orbit.


At about 33 seconds - they all run out of room https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2019/4/ONBOARD__See_Norris_and_Sainz's_view_of_their_lap_1_clash_with_Kvyat.html

I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
by IceG 17 Apr 2019, 12:22
I watched that video last night.

Back and forth in slow motion I reckon that Sainz was coming in hot and was not giving the sliding/understeering Kvyat room - understandable in the circumstances as it was three into two and Kvyat was not in full control.

But if Kvyat had not lost it I think that Norris would have had Sainz' front wing off as he returned to the track

Racing incident that was over-policed IMHO - possibly the decision was affected by Kvyat ("The Torpedo")'s nickname and previosu history?

Also (FWIW): https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/kvya ... a/4372314/
by mario 18 Apr 2019, 20:48
IceG wrote:I watched that video last night.

Back and forth in slow motion I reckon that Sainz was coming in hot and was not giving the sliding/understeering Kvyat room - understandable in the circumstances as it was three into two and Kvyat was not in full control.

But if Kvyat had not lost it I think that Norris would have had Sainz' front wing off as he returned to the track

Racing incident that was over-policed IMHO - possibly the decision was affected by Kvyat ("The Torpedo")'s nickname and previosu history?

Also (FWIW): https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/kvya ... a/4372314/

That is exactly what Palmer has said in his analysis of the incident - in his opinion, it was a racing incident and the only reason he can come up with for Kvyat being given such a harsh penalty is because of his reputation (you can see him go through that incident here). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlWx91rM80A

Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
by Rob Dylan 19 Apr 2019, 12:46
Very late to catching up with the race, but geeeez, this championship's already looking like it's dying from the get-go. Not ranting as there's a box for that, but the FL points are the only things keeping Mercedes having 100% of the points maximum.

Here's hoping Baku can spice things up. That race was really not very exciting, and I'm sensing that everyone below Red Bull are floundering so badly that they don't have a chance in hell of getting a podium this year. Like, seriously, how did the gap appear to get bigger since last year? How did the lower teams get less organised?

Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.


Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests