The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
by Faustus 30 Jul 2019, 14:57
Aislabie wrote:
Miguel98 wrote:Jamie Chadwick

If she has the Super Licence points then this would actually be quite a good call. Good marketing, quick driver, and if they're still at the arse-end of the field then she can't stand out by being especially bad if everything went sideways

I don't think she has the points for it, even though, as you say, it would be great to see her do it.
I expect Williams will have 2 paying drivers next year, between Sette Camara, Latifi, Markelov and the like.

Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
by mario 30 Jul 2019, 21:01
Faustus wrote:
Aislabie wrote:
Miguel98 wrote:Jamie Chadwick

If she has the Super Licence points then this would actually be quite a good call. Good marketing, quick driver, and if they're still at the arse-end of the field then she can't stand out by being especially bad if everything went sideways

I don't think she has the points for it, even though, as you say, it would be great to see her do it.
I expect Williams will have 2 paying drivers next year, between Sette Camara, Latifi, Markelov and the like.

Currently, I think she does not have any superlicence points - her 9th and 8th places in the British Formula 3 championship were too low to earn any points, and the only other thing which perhaps could count - her British GT championship - would be too far in the past to count now.

Winning the W Series would net her 15 points, which is still a long way short of the 40 point threshold - it's still some way short of the 25 point threshold for even getting a practise only licence. Unless she starts doubling up in more series, I can't see her earning the necessary minimum number of points this year.

I believe that Latifi is currently on course to qualify for a superlicence though, thanks to his finishes in Formula 2 - he's probably a pretty likely candidate for a seat at Williams next year.

On another note, we now have Helmut Marko issuing a statement stating that Red Bull are not planning on getting rid of Gasly during the season, saying that they will end the season with the same driver line up they started with. https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mark ... t/4503923/

That said, he does concede that Kvyat's form is starting to put Gasly under pressure - and some have noted that Marko was also saying very similar things about Kvyat just a few weeks before Kvyat was booted back to Toro Rosso, so it's probably not going to be much comfort for Gasly to hear that...

Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
by This 31 Jul 2019, 03:37
What probably means 'Gasly will not be dumped from the stable, he'll get a second chance at Toro Rosso'.

Fabulously Floofy.
by Aislabie 31 Jul 2019, 10:48
The only real reason I can think that they're giving Gasly so many chances is that Honda really love him after what he did at Mugen and Toro Rosso, and his rapport with the Honda engineers. But I really don't think many drivers at all would stack up well against Max in equal machinery.

The Tony Fernandes Memorial Trophy is currently led by Kimi Raikkonen and Alfa Romeo Racing.
by CaptainGetz12 31 Jul 2019, 17:10
Aislabie wrote:The only real reason I can think that they're giving Gasly so many chances is that Honda really love him after what he did at Mugen and Toro Rosso, and his rapport with the Honda engineers. But I really don't think many drivers at all would stack up well against Max in equal machinery.

After having burned bridges with Kvyat, and being rewarded by inviting him back, perhaps Red Bull is becoming more cautious in keeping good relationships with its drivers. The ability to develop a car effectively means that Gasly is relevant right now, even if just in a test driver role.

Some guy at Circuit de Catalunya wrote:Lance! Sorry Man.
by IceG 04 Aug 2019, 22:26
Some silly stats...

We've had twelve races so far this season.

Hamilton is the de facto No 1 at Mercedes. Ignoring fastest laps. he has scored 248 (250-2) points out of a possible 300 (25x12), i.e. 83%. If it were assumed that Bottas would be expected to maximise second places then his 186 (188-2) out of a possible 216 (18x12) is 86%. So arguably Bottas is actually out-performing Hamilton with respect to what is possible. If Bottas is expected to score 25 when Hamilton does not then the calculation becomes 186 out of 244 or 76% - probably more indicative of his performance.

To put that in context, Verstappen has scored 178 (181-3) out of 300, i.e. 59%, or 82% out of 216.
by Spectoremg 06 Aug 2019, 20:06
IceG wrote:Some silly stats...

Hamilton is the de facto No 1 at Mercedes. Ignoring fastest laps. he has scored 248 (250-2) points out of a possible 300 (25x12), i.e. 83%. If it were assumed that Bottas would be expected to maximise second places then his 186 (188-2) out of a possible 216 (18x12) is 86%. So arguably Bottas is actually out-performing Hamilton with respect to what is possible. If Bottas is expected to score 25 when Hamilton does not then the calculation becomes 186 out of 244 or 76% - probably more indicative of his performance.

To put that in context, Verstappen has scored 178 (181-3) out of 300, i.e. 59%, or 82% out of 216.

That's really interesting in a sort of get out more way zzz...
by UncreativeUsername37 06 Aug 2019, 21:31
Spectoremg wrote:
IceG wrote:Some silly stats...

That's really interesting in a sort of get out more way zzz...

I see Mercedes as an equal opportunity team... otherwise I think it would be an interesting point. Although the point system we have at the moment isn't as (logarithmically) linear as it should be.

FOM graphics wrote:Sir Jackie Stewart, OBE
Rolex Ambassador
by Simtek 07 Aug 2019, 02:29
Spectoremg wrote:That's really interesting in a sort of get out more way zzz...

Insightful as always. You should write for Autosport.

:deletraz:
by Rob Dylan 07 Aug 2019, 19:25
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mexican-grand-prix-2020-contract/4509928/

Looks like Mexico's back on the calendar for a bunch more seasons, everyone. No problem with me, it's decent track imo. Unfortunately, it looks like Germany's not getting a grand prix next year.

Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.

Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
by Spectoremg 14 Aug 2019, 20:28
Simtek wrote:
Spectoremg wrote:That's really interesting in a sort of get out more way zzz...

Insightful as always. You should write for Autosport.

I just live for endless stats...