IIDOTR - Turkey 2021 (POLL)

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1

Pick your Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race!

Poll ended at 15 Oct 2021, 11:49

Carlos Sainz Jr.
45%
Charles Leclerc
No votes
Esteban Ocon
10%
The Number Twos (Sergio Pérez and Valtteri Bottas)
45%

Total votes: 20

Miguel98

IIDOTR - Turkey 2021 (POLL)

Post by Miguel98 »

Nominations are open!
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
RAK

Re: IIDOTR - Turkey 2021

Post by RAK »

1) Sergio Perez: Outstanding defensive work in a slower car against Hamilton; a well-deserved podium.

2) Valterri Bottas: Takes the victory in the type of weather conditions he's often struggled in. No mistakes, just a consistently quick drive.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

For some extra nominations:

Charles Leclerc - An outstanding drive, arguably had the podium in the bag until his team pit him.

Esteban Ocon - A no-stopper. You love to see it
Hermann95
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hermann95 »

Sergio Perez: another podium at a wet Turkish GP.

Valtteri Bottas: flawless drive, Verstappen never came even close to him.

Carlos Sainz: kept me awake for the first race half
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

1. Valtteri Bottas. A year ago he frankly embarrassed himself around here. To come back 11 months later and pump in this sort of performance in very similar weather conditions deserves some applause.

2. Estefan Ocon. Scored a point on tyres balder than Kurt Angle's head.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

1. Bottas. Yes, he's in a Mercedes, but what a way to silence the doubters after last year and Hungary. Too bad he has to deal with the clownshow in Hinwil next year.
  2. Carlos Sainz for salvaging 8th from starting 20th.

Honourable mentions go to Checo (I had to dock a few marks for squeezing Gasly into Alonso at T1) and the Alfas for beating a guy who...*checks notes*...was a race winner just under a month ago. :badoer:
Manager of Calsonic Team Impul in Formula E, K-Apex in PES & Eurasian F3 and Mitsuoka in Alt-F1 '76.
My career mode thread - 1988: AGS (19pts, 9th) // 1989: Arrows (25pts, 8th, 1 win!)
You'll never DNF if you always DNPQ. #RollSafe
IceG

Post by IceG »

(1) Bottas - so this is what happens when you are not the number 2 driver. Excellent work

(2) 20 cars finished! In a wet race when we are towards the end of life of many engines there were no race-ending collisions nor any mechanical failures - remarkable.

Also, the number of overtakes when there was no DRS...
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Esteban Ocon for finishing without a pit stop. :shock: Honorable mention to Leclerc for a very good performance, I didn't expect him to have such good pace compared to Bottas and Verstappen – he even looked like a potential winner for a quick moment.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Bottaz for obvious reasons.

Red Bull for having a livery vaguely reminiscent of a SUUUPPPPAAAAA AGGGGUUUUURRRRRIIIIIII.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

I'll go for Sainz and Bottas
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
went

Post by went »

Ocon for scoring a point with a no-stopper. Seriously, that was pretty incredible.

The Ferraris. The car worked really well this weekend and both drivers got some good airtime out of it. (Points docked for Sainz's terrible pit stop).
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I'll say driving standards all round. Minus the first lap and that chop by Mazepin and it was almost entirely clean. Good job all round from everyone.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

1- Bottas- Yes the Merc was by far the best car on the track this weekend. But I cannot begrudge him this win considering how badly the team has treated him in the previous two races. Kept Max quiet all day and did a clean pass on a failing Charles Le Clerc (which Bottas hasn't done so well with in recent years) 11 months after THAT weekend at Turkey Bootas redeemed himself.

2- Sainz- From 20th to 8th and did his work on the track with some great overtakes. Very good job. Been impressive all season and making the most of that Ferrari seat.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

The top team’s number 2 drivers: I’m giving both Perez and Bottas a joint mention here. They’ve both taken a fair share of stick this season but Turkey was a day they stood up to be counted.

Perez gave Hamilton a taste of his own medicine both in terms of hard driving combat and also seeing the number 2 Red Bull cause Hamilton a headache when too often it’s the number 2 Merc doing it to Max. With better luck and judgement he’d have had 3 podiums in a row so hopefully he’ll keep this going.

And as for Bottas well this is a fantastic redemption story. After the worst race of his career 12 months ago he turns out one of his best in not too dissimilar conditions. Verstappen had no answer for him and his move on Leclerc was very assertive. He displayed everything I’ve criticised him for not showing in the past so hats off to him.

Carlos Sainz: On this evidence I can’t wait to see what he can do with this engine without a grid penalty

Esteban Ocon: Is that the first time someone has ever no stopped in a Grand Prix? Fair play for getting a point from that
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Tell me you saw a rainy Istanbul and expected Bottas to put in an untroubled win.
The second nomination will be Sainz for all the overtakes he made. They were so easy they weren't too exciting to watch, but that only bolsters the point....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Batty

Post by Batty »

1. Sainz - Great start and clawed his way back up the field.

2. Bottas - Dominant
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Sainz for that race from last

Ocon for being Mika Salo
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
Esteban Ocon: Is that the first time someone has ever no stopped in a Grand Prix? Fair play for getting a point from that

Last time it happened was the 1997 Monaco GP, when Mika Salo scored Tyrrell's last ever points. (If you discount races like this year's Belgian GP.)

The 1961 Dutch GP is also interesting. It is the only GP with no recorded pits stops whatsoever. It is also the first GP where every driver finished the race.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Deffo the leading teams' 2nd drivers - both played very important roles.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Vassago

Post by Vassago »

1. Carlos Sainz - if it wasn't for that lousy pitstop he would have been right on Hamilton's tail at the end?
95 GP / 63 DNF / 5 pts
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

1. Bottas - not known as a great wet-weather driver but he won. Great especially considering he hasn't been anywhere near earlier in the season
2. Ocon - no-stopper deserves a mention here.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

dr-baker wrote:Last time it happened was the 1997 Monaco GP, when Mika Salo scored Tyrrell's last ever points. (If you discount races like this year's Belgian GP.)

The 1961 Dutch GP is also interesting. It is the only GP with no recorded pits stops whatsoever. It is also the first GP where every driver finished the race.

Ted Kravitz tried to claim it was Panis at Monaco in 96 but I knew that was wrong. Annoyingly, I just couldn't remember that Salo was the last one.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

1. Esteban Ocon - Getting a point in a no-stop strategy for the first time since Mika Salo 1997.

2. Valtteri Bottas - His best drive for Mercedes, period. Wish he performed like that all year long.

Shout-out to Carlos Sainz for another Jenson Buttn-style drive in JB's conditions and to the great drive by Sergio Pérez and Charles Leclerc as well.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Rob Dylan

Re: IIDOTR - Turkey 2021 (POLL)

Post by Rob Dylan »

The poll from Turkey is open! You have 48 hours to vote in the poll at the top of this thread. Get voting :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Londoner

Re: IIDOTR - Turkey 2021 (POLL)

Post by Londoner »

Find out who splashed their way to IIDOTR around Istanbul Park right here tonight!
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l