90s F1 on DVD

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
homerbhoy

90s F1 on DVD

Post by homerbhoy »

Does anyone know if there are DVDs reviewing the 90s F1, I can only see in VHS.

And why does the bbc not have one with classic Murray Walker and James Hunt commentry during that period
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Re: 90s F1 on DVD

Post by ADx_Wales »

Because they are all Official FIA rather than BBC, If I remember rightly, Jonathan Ross was the man "wesponsible" for voicing over the 1992 and 93 seasons, not that I have them, however he wasn't a BBC employee at the time.

I do have the 96 and 97 seasons, which I discovered in a charity shop :), and I have NO idea who does the in-race commentary, but Simon Taylor did the 96 season between-race V/O.

If you look on places like Duke Video, which has EVERYTHING race related, even the option of VHS or DVD.

If you can find it (godknows where) theres a brilliant documentary involving the 1993 McLaren team, six episodes, each one an exposee, something that NONE of the teams would want to do these days.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Jonathan Ross did do the 93 season, but Steve Rider voiced the 92 VHS - it was also the one season where the official video *wasn't* produced by Duke. Both of those years are 90 minute reviews which is very disappointing.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

The official reviews of the 90s seasons haven't been re-released on DVD, unfortunately. I have them all on VHS along with the ones specially produced by Eurosport for 94, 95 and 96. 1970 through to 1980 have been released on DVD, but no sign of the Eighties or Nineties. The reviews released on DVD start with 2003. As I see it, there are 3 possibilities:

. it could simply be a question of time until they are released;
. the sales results from the 1970-1980 season were disappointing, so it doesn't make commercial sense to release them;
. the rights are somehow tied up so they can't be released.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

You can find most of the season reviews on Youtube.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Barbazza wrote:Jonathan Ross did do the 93 season, but Steve Rider voiced the 92 VHS - it was also the one season where the official video *wasn't* produced by Duke. Both of those years are 90 minute reviews which is very disappointing.

Slight correction: Rider presented the 1992 review, but Simon Taylor narrated the actual races. I agree that 1992 is the weakest of all the official season reviews; 1993 and 1996 are the same length but the editing is so much better.
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

midgrid wrote:
Barbazza wrote:Jonathan Ross did do the 93 season, but Steve Rider voiced the 92 VHS - it was also the one season where the official video *wasn't* produced by Duke. Both of those years are 90 minute reviews which is very disappointing.

Slight correction: Rider presented the 1992 review, but Simon Taylor narrated the actual races. I agree that 1992 is the weakest of all the official season reviews; 1993 and 1996 are the same length but the editing is so much better.

Well, 92 was the weakest of all seasons in Formula one.
Granted, the Schumi years were dull with someone absolutely dominating too but atleast then the dominating driver was actually deserving and a good driver.

Unlike 92
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

You can convert videos to DVD's, one of the jobs I had to do while on work experience was to convert vinyl records and tapes on to CD, and we had the facility to convert videos to DVD's. With the right machinery, you can input tapes on to a computer then burn them onto a disc, I'm sure someone on an auction site or something similar to that has done this. There are no official DVD's from the 1990's reviews, but you can make your own, though that may be illegal.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Debaser wrote:You can convert videos to DVD's, one of the jobs I had to do while on work experience was to convert vinyl records and tapes on to CD, and we had the facility to convert videos to DVD's. With the right machinery, you can input tapes on to a computer then burn them onto a disc, I'm sure someone on an auction site or something similar to that has done this. There are no official DVD's from the 1990's reviews, but you can make your own, though that may be illegal.

It's only illegal if it isn't for 'personal use' I believe. Which means if you make any sort of commercial gain from it you'll be breaking the law.
But meh, the police don't care, as long as it's not a huge counterfit operation.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

DonTirri wrote:Well, 92 was the weakest of all seasons in Formula one.
Granted, the Schumi years were dull with someone absolutely dominating too but atleast then the dominating driver was actually deserving and a good driver.

Unlike 92

Even if you thought it was dull at the top end (which I don't actually, being as I was a Mansell fan) it was still the year of Pink Brabhams, Giovanna Amati, Fondmetals being half-decent for a short period, Andrea Moda, and a Jan Lammers comeback so in Reject terms, it deserves more than 90 minutes!!
tc3j3r

Post by tc3j3r »

midgrid wrote:

You obviously haven't seen the 1983 review. That one is by far the WORST. But the 1992 one is pretty bad yeah. I can't believe they ignored Andrea Moda!
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

tc3j3r wrote:
midgrid wrote:

You obviously haven't seen the 1983 review. That one is by far the WORST. But the 1992 one is pretty bad yeah. I can't believe they ignored Andrea Moda!

The 1983 review has a hopeless commentary gimmick, whereby the commentator (Brian Kreisky) is "interrupted" by a girl bringing him his coffee, who then stays in the recording studio and offers various pointless observations, but the actual racing footage is much better than the 1992 review. I watched the contemporary BBC coverage of the 1992 Belgian Grand Prix recently and was amazed by some of the incidents that didn't make it into the review.
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

midgrid wrote:The 1983 review has a hopeless commentary gimmick, whereby the commentator (Brian Kreisky) is "interrupted" by a girl bringing him his coffee, who then stays in the recording studio and offers various pointless observations.

Damn, at least they could have eliminated that part, masked it, or something.
DonTirri

Post by DonTirri »

midgrid wrote:The 1983 review has a hopeless commentary gimmick, whereby the commentator (Brian Kreisky) is "interrupted" by a girl bringing him his coffee, who then stays in the recording studio and offers various pointless observations, but the actual racing footage is much better than the 1992 review. I watched the contemporary BBC coverage of the 1992 Belgian Grand Prix recently and was amazed by some of the incidents that didn't make it into the review.

Wasn't the 83 review the one where the drivers themselves did the race commentary? Or was that 84?
I cannae remember.

ps: Whats the boards stance on torrents? As I know of a site that has all f1 reviews from 1970 onwards. So you can download and burn, and thus have a DVD.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

DonTirri wrote:
midgrid wrote:The 1983 review has a hopeless commentary gimmick, whereby the commentator (Brian Kreisky) is "interrupted" by a girl bringing him his coffee, who then stays in the recording studio and offers various pointless observations, but the actual racing footage is much better than the 1992 review. I watched the contemporary BBC coverage of the 1992 Belgian Grand Prix recently and was amazed by some of the incidents that didn't make it into the review.

Wasn't the 83 review the one where the drivers themselves did the race commentary? Or was that 84?
I cannae remember.

ps: Whats the boards stance on torrents? As I know of a site that has all f1 reviews from 1970 onwards. So you can download and burn, and thus have a DVD.

It was the 1985 season review that had the drivers comment on the races. I remember Alain Prost (who commentated on Sliverstone) say something like, "I was a bit careful overtaking him there, because De Cesaris can be a bit of a strange driver"
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
kowalski

Post by kowalski »

DonTirri wrote:
midgrid wrote:ps: Whats the boards stance on torrents? As I know of a site that has all f1 reviews from 1970 onwards. So you can download and burn, and thus have a DVD.

I am STRONGLY against such practices. if you email me the address i will add it to my internet banned list... bastardos!
Sakon Yamamoto - Not bad for a third driver
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

ibsey wrote:
DonTirri wrote:

I cannae remember.

It was the 1985 season review that had the drivers comment on the races. I remember Alain Prost (who commentated on Sliverstone) say something like, "I was a bit careful overtaking him there, because De Cesaris can be a bit of a strange driver"

Yes, I actually quite liked that review, even though it was hard to get an idea of what was going on in some of the races. Some more highlights:

Senna on De Cesaris's huge crash at the Austrian GP: "And here is De Cesaris, just a small accident. Not much damage...(starts laughing)"

Johansson laughing and saying "How did he do that?" at Rosberg spinning through 360 degrees under braking for the Montreal chicane, but continuing without losing any time.
--Nigel Roebuck
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Oh good grief, I'd totally forgotten about that abysmal gimmick. Agree that the footage is better than the 92 vintage though - it must have been to make me forget about the dreadful commentary!
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

midgrid wrote:Yes, I actually quite liked that review, even though it was hard to get an idea of what was going on in some of the races. Some more highlights:

Senna on De Cesaris's huge crash at the Austrian GP: "And here is De Cesaris, just a small accident. Not much damage...(starts laughing)"

Johansson laughing and saying "How did he do that?" at Rosberg spinning through 360 degrees under braking for the Montreal chicane, but continuing without losing any time.

It was a strange one that. Some were very boring - the ones Mansell did in particular which is no surprise I guess (endless talking about the order 'so there's Alain, Keke, myself...' ZZZZZ) but I seem to remember Piquet doing one or two and being quite dull and Rosberg too. Don't remember the Johansson one but I do remember Prost having quite a dry sense of humour at times and Senna's being by far the most entertaining, really showing his love for the sport (and I speak as someone who is in no way a big Senna fan!)

The one bit of Senna's commentary that stuck with me was the footage they randomly inserted of a Spirit spinning out (so must have been one of the early races) and Senna just going 'and there's Baldi...HA HA HA HA!'
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

I'm going to make an executive decision and say that if you want to pass torrents around, email each other.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Barbazza wrote:It was a strange one that. Some were very boring - the ones Mansell did in particular which is no surprise I guess (endless talking about the order 'so there's Alain, Keke, myself...' ZZZZZ) but I seem to remember Piquet doing one or two and being quite dull and Rosberg too. Don't remember the Johansson one but I do remember Prost having quite a dry sense of humour at times and Senna's being by far the most entertaining, really showing his love for the sport (and I speak as someone who is in no way a big Senna fan!

Surprising that Senna was the most entertaining considering he was usually quite shy and not much of a talker. He really loved F1. I would have expected more from Piquet though-at least going by the way how he mistreated Mansell and Senna.
TeamTipper

Post by TeamTipper »

Compared to other top sports around the world F1 are pretty crap with DVDs and VHS. They dont push the sport to people like Ads or better season reviews. Hope they can improve.
Mechanical Engineering Student
Bias view of F1
Forti F1 Fan
TeamTipper for 2011 entry lol
HWSNBM as my No.1 driver
Formula One Rejects as my main sponsor
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

The way Duke is handling the re-release of VHS stuff is a bit odd. They released the reviews of all the Le Mans 24 Hours between 1980 and 1989 and all of the Formula 1 between 1970 and 1980, and then just stopped. This was well over a year ago and the last time I checked their website there was no mention of releasing more. Very odd.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Faustus wrote:The way Duke is handling the re-release of VHS stuff is a bit odd. They released the reviews of all the Le Mans 24 Hours between 1980 and 1989 and all of the Formula 1 between 1970 and 1980, and then just stopped. This was well over a year ago and the last time I checked their website there was no mention of releasing more. Very odd.

Those time eras being so set makes me think it has to do with licensing issues. I doubt they got the rights to the footage they used in perpetua, for some reason.
coops

Post by coops »

Barbazza wrote:Jonathan Ross did do the 93 season.

Bah! Wossy wuined that years review. I think the guys great but his attempt at pronouncing Michael Schumachers name with a germanic slant gave me the heebie-jeebies. He pronounced it "Mikhial Schumaarrker". Irritating in the extreme.
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
SDHammer

Post by SDHammer »

You can't beat the reviews voiced bt Clive James absoloute commentary gold.

For example (When watching Elio de Angelis climbing into his Lotus) In my country a man shaped like that would be called snakehips............(in a sad tone) I could have fitted in there once.

or After the drivers threatened a strike at (i think) Kyalami in 1982 "with no practice the grid was decided by colour of hair".

Classic there are many other examples but i can't remember the exact quotes.

Oh by the way I've just bought the 2002 review VHS from Duke. Looking forward to watching it even thought 2002 was a redwash.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

thehemogoblin wrote:Those time eras being so set makes me think it has to do with licensing issues. I doubt they got the rights to the footage they used in perpetua, for some reason.

I would imagine so, plus there could potentially be right issues with the commentators (though probably NOT that crap one who did 83) and certainly the music where they have used pop songs, such as the one (88?) that has 'All Fired Up' by Pat Benatar all the way through!
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

coops wrote:Bah! Wossy wuined that years review. I think the guys great but his attempt at pronouncing Michael Schumachers name with a germanic slant gave me the heebie-jeebies. He pronounced it "Mikhial Schumaarrker". Irritating in the extreme.

Agreed - technically it's correct but no-one actually calls him that. It's a bit like if someone in the UK were narrating a video about French history (NB no-one in the UK would actually watch this, it's just an example!) and saying 'Fraaaaaunce' all the way through.
Still, I paid £1 for that VHS I think as it had no cover so I was happy enough! Given the hideousness of the cover that year, the lack of one was probably a bonus actually...
coops

Post by coops »

Barbazza wrote:Still, I paid £1 for that VHS I think as it had no cover so I was happy enough! Given the hideousness of the cover that year, the lack of one was probably a bonus actually...

Pshaw, I paid full whack for it in the mid-nineties. I dread to think how much hard earned has gone on redundant media over the years (dont get me going on vinyl records to CDs). The Best F1 bargain I ever picked up was VHS Eddie Irvine:Life In The Fast Lane for 75p. Great lounging-on-the-sofa video that one.
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
jonnyeol

Post by jonnyeol »

They only started doing DVDs in 2003, with an exception of an early attempt in 2000 (which made quite poor use of the format, it being quite new then). There has been absolutely no sign of a DVD release of the 1981-2002 VHS tapes. I don't have them all, but I do have quite a few. Always liked the 1990 and 1995 ones for some reason, as well as the Clive James trilogy 82-84-86. I suspect there may be a rights issue involved - rights to F1 footage is a complex area and Duke probably think it's not worth the effort. I remember Channel 5 once did a series of programs about F1, looking at key incident in F1 history (John Watson's accident in Monza 1981, which was the first demonstration of carbon fibre monocoque strength), but only ever showing generic test footage or computer simulations of what happened.

But 1992 is a load of old rubbish. They denied Andrea Moda even existed, and made little attempt to cover anything 'further down the field' (which is where the action was back then). Compare that to the 2004 DVD, which actually makes an effort to dig up some often-forgotten bits of races that seemed quite dull on the telly.
Zsolt Baumgartner. There - I Said It.
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

Faustus wrote:The way Duke is handling the re-release of VHS stuff is a bit odd. They released the reviews of all the Le Mans 24 Hours between 1980 and 1989 and all of the Formula 1 between 1970 and 1980, and then just stopped. This was well over a year ago and the last time I checked their website there was no mention of releasing more. Very odd.

I think the reason that Duke has only released the 1970-1980 seasons on DVD is because the FIA had not started publishing the 'official' reviews until '81. From '70-'80, Brunswick Films produced the season reviews and took a more 'documentary style' approach than the FIA reviews (according to the back of the box for the 1980 review) and it was easier for Duke to get the rights to re-publish those seasons on DVD.

jonnyeol wrote:They only started doing DVDs in 2003, with an exception of an early attempt in 2000 (which made quite poor use of the format, it being quite new then). There has been absolutely no sign of a DVD release of the 1981-2002 VHS tapes.

There was also a 2001 season review that came with a limited edition of the PS2 game "Formula One 2002" and the limited edition of "Formula One 2001" came with the previously mentioned 2000 season review (I think these DVD's also contained footage from the Digital TV coverage).
This is a cool spot.
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Its all an example of TV Tropes "Keep circulating the tapes" (indeed, F1 is cited as a prime example).

Really, F1 should be doing so much more on this side of things. About the only site you can (legally) watch F1 material is the BBC website, and even then, its UK only. Its all well and good confiscating youtube clips but in a lot of cases, where else can you see a lot of this stuff? Its as if Bernie got stung with the digital support F1 pioneered (which actually dates as far back as 1996!) so badly, that after 2002 he has sworn a battle on all things modern... (whereas the (main?) problem with the digital service was ironically because it was ahead of its time)

It would be good if FOCA offered a service where you could download the season review or just a single race,(for a fee, obviously). It wouldnt be hard to do

Rant over
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
kowalski

Post by kowalski »

Collieafc wrote:Its all an example of TV Tropes "Keep circulating the tapes" (indeed, F1 is cited as a prime example).

Really, F1 should be doing so much more on this side of things. About the only site you can (legally) watch F1 material is the BBC website, and even then, its UK only. Its all well and good confiscating youtube clips but in a lot of cases, where else can you see a lot of this stuff? Its as if Bernie got stung with the digital support F1 pioneered (which actually dates as far back as 1996!) so badly, that after 2002 he has sworn a battle on all things modern... (whereas the (main?) problem with the digital service was ironically because it was ahead of its time)

It would be good if FOCA offered a service where you could download the season review or just a single race,(for a fee, obviously). It wouldnt be hard to do

Rant over

Exactly! - One of the best examples I have seen is the MLB (baseball) site where you can download tons of cool stuff. From recent games to classics from a selection of years. They are also only a few dollars each and in really nice quality.

Season reviews, race highlights & complete races at decent prices and they would be on to a winner....
Sakon Yamamoto - Not bad for a third driver
DonTirri

Post by DonTirri »

Collieafc wrote:Its all an example of TV Tropes "Keep circulating the tapes" (indeed, F1 is cited as a prime example).

Rant over

Yanno, personally I prefer to torrent things. Why? Well, in this case so that I won't be sendin a single dime to good ol' Bernies pocket.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

The GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) are a bit of a mess of an organisation, but even they have this side of things sorted out. You can buy any hurling or Gaelic football All-Ireland final from the last 30 or 40 years for about €10. If you're a fan that's a dream come true. Don't see why FOM, which whatever we think about it it's infinitely better organised than the GAA, wouldn't be able to do something similar.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

MinardiFan95 wrote:
There was also a 2001 season review that came with a limited edition of the PS2 game "Formula One 2002" and the limited edition of "Formula One 2001" came with the previously mentioned 2000 season review (I think these DVD's also contained footage from the Digital TV coverage).

As I have all the other season reviews on VHS or DVD I really need to get that Formula One 2002 PS2 game! Not bothered about the game itself mind, I've played it and it's shite.
SDHammer

Post by SDHammer »

Barbazza wrote:
MinardiFan95 wrote:

As I have all the other season reviews on VHS or DVD I really need to get that Formula One 2002 PS2 game! Not bothered about the game itself mind, I've played it and it's shite.

You don't need to buy the game to get the review I got it from Amazon or ebay can't remember which.

Oh by the way its not very good. For a start you can't watch it all the way through you have to watch it race by race at the end of each race it takes you back to the main menu.
SDHammer

Post by SDHammer »

This is the one I have

http://www.dukevideo.com/Cars/DVD/Formula-One/Events-2000-onwards/F1-2000-Review-DVD.aspx?utm_medium=widget

It's still available from Duke for £19 odd.

As I said before it's not very good and not a patch on the offical Duke VHS releases of the time.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Sorry, I wasn't being entirely clear - I've got the 2000 review on DVD, it's the 2001 one that I don't have as it only came with that PS2 game. But the 2000 one is pretty dreadful so I'm not that desperate to get hold of the 2001 edition.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

I got the 2000 review with Formula One 2001 on the PS2, and watched it obsessively. The commentator's voice still rings in my ears occasionally; 'This time, it's the red car that gets out ahead.'
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.