F1 Dreams

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
RonDenisDeletraz

Re: F1 Dreams

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Waris wrote:I dreamed that Max Verstappen won a race by being the only driver to make no pit stop at all. Ah, too bad that isn't possible in real life...

Mika Salo at Monaco 1997 springs to mind
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Waris wrote:I dreamed that Max Verstappen won a race by being the only driver to make no pit stop at all. Ah, too bad that isn't possible in real life...

That was the plan for his dad in Brazil '03, and would have worked had he not aquaplaned.
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

To some extent, Grosjean at Melbourne last year springs to mind.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
Waris

Post by Waris »

novitopoli wrote:

I'm pretty sure a minimum of one pit stop per race is mandatory under current regulations, nah?! How else would they be able to run both required tyre compounds?
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

Waris wrote:
novitopoli wrote:

I'm pretty sure a minimum of one pit stop per race is mandatory under current regulations, nah?! How else would they be able to run both required tyre compounds?

He changed tyres after a red flag, thus no in-race pit stops.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

In a wet race the driver can make the distance without changing tyres.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Bleu wrote:In a wet race the driver can make the distance without changing tyres.

Typically, nowadays, a wet race would start behind the safety car, which automatically necessitates full wets by regulation, then, at some point after the race gets underway, by the time a lot of the water is cleared, the drivers will then go over to the inters. So pit stops would still be there.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

dr-baker wrote:
Bleu wrote:In a wet race the driver can make the distance without changing tyres.

Typically, nowadays, a wet race would start behind the safety car, which automatically necessitates full wets by regulation, then, at some point after the race gets underway, by the time a lot of the water is cleared, the drivers will then go over to the inters. So pit stops would still be there.

That and Pirelli's wet weather tyres (both compounds) don't seem to be able to last a race distance anyway...
#FreeGonzo
Waris

Post by Waris »

I dreamed of an F1 car that was painted like a Prost in the back, like a Toyota in the front (but with a Prost-blue front wing), with sidepods like a Force India, and a weird yellow rectangle each on the left and right side of the front and rear wings. :shock:
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Waris wrote: and a weird yellow rectangle each on the left and right side of the front and rear wings. :shock:

You mean like this?

watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Those yellow rectangles were just Ferrari way to distinguish cars. Sauber had different-coloured mirrors, Schumacher had red dots in front wing, Ligier/Prost had yellow cockpit sides and so on...before FIA mandated each team to have T-cams of certain colour.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Bleu wrote:Those yellow rectangles were just Ferrari way to distinguish cars. Sauber had different-coloured mirrors, Schumacher had red dots in front wing, Ligier/Prost had yellow cockpit sides and so on...before FIA mandated each team to have T-cams of certain colour.

Yeah, but they still match what I think was being described...
MCard LOLA
Waris

Post by Waris »

Yes, exactly dr-baker! Except the wings themselves were, well, Prost purplish-blue and not black. I guess my subconscious remembered those Ferrari rectangles and incorrectly applied them :D
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I had a bit of a bizarre F1 dream last night. It was only a short scene, but there seemed to be a fair bit of context to it.

It took place during a race weekend in the late 1980s/early 1990s, when there were a lot of backmarker teams. The race took place in a country where the political situation was not the best (as will be seen in more detail in a minute). A number of drivers had been vocal about this ruling regime in the lead-up to the race, but all had turned up to race nonetheless. On the Saturday, around qualifying (I suppose it was then, to gain publicity for what was about to happen), a couple of the backmarkers who were unlikely to qualify were forced to park up near the podium, frogmarched to it and forced to kneel on it in order to be made a example of (shot). The reason for choosing backmarkers was because they knew the likes of Senna, Prost and Mansell were popular, and executing them would not aid their cause. But if they were able to say that not even F1 drivers were beyond their reach for criticising the government, well...

Macabre, eh?
MCard LOLA
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:2015 USA Grand Prix, last lap, Will Stevens starts his final lap at the time that Taylor Swift "does a Pelé" and waves the checkered flag for Stevens, not only that, later, after Hamilton crossed the line, Taylor accidentally dropped the flag to the track

Fastforward 3 years and a bit, when something pretty close to this happens...
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Waris

Post by Waris »

I dreamed/daydreamed/fantasized that Grosjean got two penalty points on his licence in Mexico and was duly banned for the next race in Brazil, and that Haas replaced him with... Kubica!
He qualified in the low midfield, but drove a solid race and finished 8th. But Grosjean was back in the car for Abu Dhabi. Kubica made a good impression though, and he was hired by a team for 2019, but I don't remember if it was Toro Rosso or Williams, because I probably woke up at this point.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Not really F1, but i often have a dream lately where i'm totally collecting lots and lots of toy cars froms shops. (actually standing in the shops during the dream) Anyone knows what this might mean? Since it's an often recurring theme.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Waris

Post by Waris »

I dreamed that Robert Kubica had converted to Islam, and that he was giving a lecture/talk/presentation about his recovery from his accident.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Waris wrote:I dreamed that Robert Kubica had converted to Islam, and that he was giving a lecture/talk/presentation about his recovery from his accident.

That'd certainly cause a ruckus in Poland...
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Mercedes sack Bottas and give Alonso the drive.*

*Totally ficticious.
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

I've had a few, here are a couple that come to mind.

I dreamed that I was responsible for keeping this year's Ferrari under wraps at a launch/press event, only problems are, the cover was too small to cover the entire car, and there were journalists walking in and out while I was trying to get the entire car covered. At the end of the dream, I had to go to Maurizio Arrivabene and explain what happened, that's when I woke up.

Another one, I was part of the team for a pre-season test for Lando Norris, except we were using a late 90's Benneton.

Not an F1 dream per se, but I also dreamed I got into a road rage incident with Martin Brundle, my language towards him was so bad that I felt bad even when I woke up and realised it was a dream. :facepalm:
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

It's the 2019 Monaco Grand Prix. I don't know anything about the order except Leclerc is underperforming. Brundle talks about an answer Leclerc gave in an interview where he says that he doesn't need experience per se in the sense of needing practice or bedding into the team, but he does need the sort of knowledge that can only be gained from experience. Don't ask.

The big action comes at the second Piscine, which has apparently reverted to the previous layout, where there's a motorcycle sticking out onto the track with a DJR Team Penske-style livery. Vettel makes a mistake and takes a weird line, consequently hitting it. His right front suspension broken, he gets out, gets on the motorcycle, and continues on. After doing a lap on it, he goes into the pits—yes, he didn't do that the first time round—and gets into the spare car, which 1) exists and 2) is 2012-spec. He continues the race having lost a somewhat long trip to the pits and whatever laptime from using the motorcycle.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Psyclepath

Post by Psyclepath »

I had a dream once where I was trying to contact Kimi Raikkonen and invite him to one of my local pool-playing meets I did at the time. It was, I believe 2012 - yet in spite of that Raikkonen was racing for McLaren at the time and his teammate was Montoya.

So I went onto the internet to McLaren's website to get a number by which I could potentially contact Kimi. I called the number, and it was Montoya who answered the phone. I told him that I was trying to invite Kimi to play pool; Montoya bizarrely claimed he didn't even know who Kimi was. I can't remember the rest of the phone call.

Anyhow, Kimi actually DID show up to my pool meet. I think he may've been dressed in Ferrari attire, but I'm not sure this is true. He also wasn't very happy that he was there and wondered what the hell was going on. I don't remember what happened, I think I woke up at this point thinking "Bwoaaaaaah!"
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I had a dream last night where they decided to run an F1 race at a new track in my hometown of Aberdeen in Scotland. The whole thing was a disaster, as they hadn't finished the stands before the weekend began (didn't that literally happen at the Korean track ~2010?). So I was showing my girlfriend the track by walking around it on scaffolding and construction equipment, and when the race began, three or four cars broke down before the lights went out. This kept happening - every time they did the formation lap and got ready to start again, a bunch of cars broke down and the start was aborted. Eventually they just gave up and cancelled the race.

Top dream. :D
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
FortiWinks

Post by FortiWinks »

I had one last night actually

It was set at some sort of street circuit with all trees around the circuit, actually quite similar to some Forza Horizon racetracks. All the cars were pretty much current spec except I cannot remember if they had halos or not to be honest, the main difference was that all the cars had numbers on the sidepods.

Robert Kubica won the race!

Second was a very good battle with Grosjean and Vettel passing and re-passing each other every lap before Sebastian ran wide coming off the final corner onto the main straight and Grosjean snuck by.

After that the dream went to some weird place that isn’t F1 related.
Knows two facts about ducks and both of them are wrong
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Remember when Bizarre Creations took a slightly different approach and made F1 98 a management game? Of course you don't, I accidentally made it up last night.

Yep, instead of the execrable F1 98 that we actually got, the folks behind the critically acclaimed F1 95 and F1 97 came back with a strategy game. It doesn't have the depth of GPM2 but it's fun mapping out fuel strategies and... basically doing what you could already do in the previous two games but with two cars instead of one. That and you could just sit back and let the drivers do all the work.

I chose to manage Williams, or at least I think I did. The FW20 looked a bit different in the livery department: Rothmans blue and white sticking around for one more year! Otherwise it looked like a PS1 representation of a 1998 F1 car.

Drivers were Damon Hill and Mika Hakkinen. Yeah, not something mad like Juan Manuel Bordeu and Pietro Bordino, just two top drivers from the period in question who just didn't drive for Williams that year. All the other teams had fictional drivers, though, which was a bit odd (looks like Psygnosis slashed the budget and couldn't licence any more drivers' names). Quite a few female drivers as well, interestingly.

I played the first two rounds in Australia and Brazil (the actual first two rounds of the 1998 season? No Nordschleife or Special Stage Route 11?), although both circuits looked more like Jacarepaguá for some reason. Actually it was more like Jacarepaguá crossed with the middle section of Interlagos, not much in the way of straights. Graphically the game looked pretty much exactly like F1 97, and then everything went yellow with black outlines. It was like a honey mustard colour, not very nice. Hill and Hakkinen finished 3rd and 5th in Australia after about five seconds (must have quicksimmed it by mistake), which is how the actual team did, weirdly enough (I had to look that up just now...)

I never finished Brazil. Instead I set fire to a box of dominoes. Overall, I suppose I rate the game 1 out of 3 based on the first domino I saw.
#FreeGonzo
FortiWinks

Post by FortiWinks »

Had another one the other night (F1 must be more on my mind than I thought)

Williams revealed that for the 2020 season they would switch to Peugeot engines and would run a green and yellow livery (like Benetton actually), Claire saying it would be a “risk” like what Eddie Jordan took.

If it results in a more competitive Williams then i’m all for it!

(Although I have had multiple combos that would never get up like Ricciardo to Manor, Alonso with Red Bull-Toyota, Barrichello coming back, Davide Valsecchi at Haas, Kubica winning in 2019 as mentioned above so it’s nothing new)
Knows two facts about ducks and both of them are wrong
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

I was recently watching a race. It took place at 1980s/1990s version of Mexico City circuit but it was current cars and graphics. I had not seen what happened earlier in the race but both Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull drivers were listed as being out of the race on the bottom of scoring pillar. It was last lap, Hülkenberg was leading with Perez close second. Perez then tried Mansell-esque move for the lead on the final lap but they ended up colliding, putting both out of the race. Crowd was angry at Hulk for the crash while he himself was acting that Perez was at fault. I didn't spot who won the race before waking up.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

So when it comes to games like Mario Kart, whenever they make a new one they often take the "classic" tracks from the previous games and port a few of them onto the latest one. However, I dreamed last night that there is a new Mario Kart game out, and they decided to port the tracks from that onto Mario Kart 64 for the N64, which came out in 1996. Now, for context, that game is garbage and has the worst case of rubber-banding I've ever seen, but that's for another thread.

But yeah, my dreamed moved onto some kind of promotional video, like the ones they do pre-race that are 5 to 10 minutes long and have lots of quick shots of the drivers being interviewed in chairs or slow-mo's of them doing autographs and 'laughing' with their PR people in front of the camera. Sebastian Vettel was advertising this brand-new port of Mario Kart 9 on the N64, with an N64 controller sitting in the full Ferrari simulator and giving technical feedback and criticism of why it's basically like real life, with dramatic music and irrelevant cut-away shots to him signing autographs and sitting under a spotlight on a chair looking at the camera.

I remember this stupid dream vividly.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Here's one from some time in the last few days...

It's the near future - possibly, probably even, the 2020 season. And McLaren have won a race! Only, the driver is Felipe Massa, and he's wearing the characteristic red and white overalls of the Marlboro-sponsored era.

It may have just been Nottingham's annual beer festival and I may have been drinking like a mad eejit.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

It's the 2021 Brazilian Grand Prix. Verstappen leads the championship, slightly less than a win ahead of Hamilton and slightly more than a win ahead of Bottas. The track has been extended to go out of the Interlagos property and incorporate sections of highway that look little like anything near Interlagos, including at least one one-lane slip road. Despite the new length being Baku-like, the track has a secondary pitlane about halfway along, 1930s-style.

In the first stint, a trio pulled away, Verstappen holding up Bottas holding up Pérez. Verstappen loses a piece of wing pushing too hard on the slip road, very shortly followed by Pérez on a different piece of track, and they both use the secondary pits. Now with a massive lead, Bottas does the same thing and has to pit himself. He uses the main pits and rejoins between them, restoring the order from before they all damaged their cars. Despite there being no scheduled stops yet, they were so far ahead they're still the top three. The dream ended after that, so that's all I know about how the race went.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I had a surreal dream last night. I dreamed that Jenoch announced a comeback with a new driver profile, except that for the first time they were releasing it "live". So everyone got invited to a big square in a big city for the new driver profile, and it was a public event.

The event was that they were doing a live reading of their new profile, which was actually just a reworking of the Giovanna Amati profile :lol: Everyone was really disappointed, then a bunch of other stuff happened and the dream moved on because of a bunch of other stuff going on.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Rob Dylan wrote:I had a surreal dream last night. I dreamed that Jenoch announced a comeback with a new driver profile, except that for the first time they were releasing it "live". So everyone got invited to a big square in a big city for the new driver profile, and it was a public event.

The event was that they were doing a live reading of their new profile, which was actually just a reworking of the Giovanna Amati profile :lol: Everyone was really disappointed, then a bunch of other stuff happened and the dream moved on because of a bunch of other stuff going on.

Obviously not real, as I for one would still have been happy and impressed.
MCard LOLA
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

Dreamed that I was working for Aston Martin, and Toto was running the team. I was busy loading some crates, and Bernie Ecclestone put one or two onto the trolley I was using. I wake up this morning, and what do I see? Otmar Szafnauer is no longer in charge of A.M.