Can McLaren catch up?

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Revelo

Can McLaren catch up?

Post by Revelo »

Ok, So we all know well enough whats happened to McLaren and how well they have preformed during pre-season testing and during the qualifying. Although some nice driving by Lewis and a somewhat lucky 3rd place has at least gotten them off to a good start. So do people think they can play catch up to Brawn to a lesser extent, Ferrari? What else do you think may happen to them over the coming season?
Alexander

Re: Can McLaren catch up?

Post by Alexander »

I think they'll be winning again before the circus arrives in Europe again. They have to much knowledge, experience and resources to keep struggling like this. Just like Ferrari.
"A Ferrari is a scaled down version of God" - Jeremy Clarkson
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Maybe ... but I think the ban on in-season testing is going to hurt them more than anyone else (except maybe Red Bull if they have to design a Brawn-esque diffuser). If they do become competitive, it's going to be too late to mount a title challenge. The other teams that have been competitive have already said they still have a lot of room for improvement, so McLaren will have to work twice as hard.

Not that I'll be sorry to see that. I'm afraid I have very little respect for McLaren and Lewis Hamilton.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
LukeB

Post by LukeB »

McLaren, being soulless abominations, can be knocked back temporarily but never killed completely. In the end they always catch up and warp their cold rotten grey hands around any intrest or personality in F1 and choke it to death.
Making up the numbers
McLaren Racing

Post by McLaren Racing »

LukeB wrote:McLaren, being soulless abominations, can be knocked back temporarily but never killed completely. In the end they always catch up and warp their cold rotten grey hands around any intrest or personality in F1 and choke it to death.

What a charming post.

Anyway, I would expect McLaren to move deservedly towards the front of the grid, particularly if they build a double-decker-diffuser car in time for the series to return home to Europe in May. I'm sure those Machiavellian fiends in red will improve too.
74 76 84 85 86 88 89 90 91 98 99 08. & 09? Proud McLaren fan since 1974, winners in Can-Am, Le Mans, F1 & Indy 500

"Ron Dennis will always be a great person. He & his team have done some extraordinary work over the last decades."
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

McLaren Racing wrote:
LukeB wrote:McLaren, being soulless abominations, can be knocked back temporarily but never killed completely. In the end they always catch up and warp their cold rotten grey hands around any intrest or personality in F1 and choke it to death.

What a charming post.

Anyway, I would expect McLaren to move deservedly towards the front of the grid, particularly if they build a double-decker-diffuser car in time for the series to return home to Europe in May. I'm sure those Machiavellian fiends in red will improve too.

What was that you were saying about charming posts?
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
McLaren Racing

Post by McLaren Racing »

Captain Hammer wrote:
McLaren Racing wrote:

What a charming post.

What was that you were saying about charming posts?

I'll post it again if you didn't catch it the first time.
74 76 84 85 86 88 89 90 91 98 99 08. & 09? Proud McLaren fan since 1974, winners in Can-Am, Le Mans, F1 & Indy 500

"Ron Dennis will always be a great person. He & his team have done some extraordinary work over the last decades."
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

If it was last year, I'd say yes. The ban in testing will probably hurt, that's for sure. That double decker diffuser's probably ready by now, as everyone else's, and is being tested in the CFD, and the car will be changed as soon as the FIA rules it legal.
Either way, doubts still abound as to whether Lewis and Heiki are development drivers, who can give useful indications to the team. They needed Damon Hill testing right now... :ugeek:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Dom

Post by Dom »

CarlosFerreira wrote:They needed Damon Hill testing right now... :ugeek:

Or Luca Badoer....
Rodrigo

Post by Rodrigo »

Not after the multi-million dollar fine they'll have to pay for being naughty... again.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

I think this year's McLaren is eerily reminiscent of the Williams of 1998. Think about it, both were very successful for two years, mainly built around one driver who came in in the first year of this success (Villeneuve in 1996, Hamilton in 2007) and won the WDC in the second. Now McLaren has fallen off the map in performance compared to what they had in 2007 and 2008, just like Williams did in 1998. The stories might not be exactly the same, but there sure is a lot of similarity between the two.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:I think this year's McLaren is eerily reminiscent of the Williams of 1998. Think about it, both were very successful for two years, mainly built around one driver who came in in the first year of this success (Villeneuve in 1996, Hamilton in 2007) and won the WDC in the second. Now McLaren has fallen off the map in performance compared to what they had in 2007 and 2008, just like Williams did in 1998. The stories might not be exactly the same, but there sure is a lot of similarity between the two.

McLaren's not losing big sponsors or official Mercedes backing. They won't be using Mecachromes for all we know. As long as Mercedes, Vodafone and the rest of the Mclaren doesn't pull the plug on Whitmarsh, and the FIA doesn't go silly with penalties, I expect McLaren to bounce back... for 2010.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!