The Junior Series Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The Junior Series Thread

Post by watka »

yannicksamlad wrote:
andrew wrote:Somehow after entering Hungary 12th in the championship Sirotkin is now tied leader with Gasly. Marcellios tyre management leaves less to be desired and Im still unsure on How Sergei won yesterday and how Luca Ghiotto came 2nd.

Given what the stewards have been like this weekend I'm suprised King didn't get done for the clash with Ghiotto yesterday, he just plain moved over on him. Meanwhile in gp2 it seems like a 3 way fight with Albon, Leclrec and Focou battling it out. De vries has pace but seems to have a habit of crashing into anything that moves.

I love GP2 - I know the results are slightly randomised by the tyre-lottery ( their lap times vary hugely through a race, and failing to get the tyres working or staying out too long will cost you badly, and that's the case even before they properly 'go-off'), but the racing is excellent, the cars are fast and spectacular and you get a proper one-hour race for the Saturday race.
So this year with no Stoffel-advantage being held by any of them ( he had a real edge over the field last year) and the jumbled results from various upsets means that quite a few people have the chance to win the title. Its just a shame so few of them will have the chance to do F1 . I reckon almost all of them would be respectable in F1 ...look how tough Mitch Evans is finding it - GP3 star, GP2 front runner, has beaten them all at some point, but this year apart from a lucky break in Austria he finds it so tough to break into the top 10 because he's with Campos and he hasn't quite got it all set up. But he'd probably do OK in an F1 ..

We need more teams on the grid to make room for these guys! At the moment, if you're not with the Red Bull programme (or to a less extent McLaren, Mercedes or Renault) your options are Sauber and Manor and even that requires a large stack of cash. Sponsors just aren't will to pay so much these days (no doubt not helped by the slow but certain transition from terrestrial to pay TV) How I long for the days where the cars were plastered nose to tail in sponsors by every company and his dog!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

That final lap and corner between Canamasas, Rowland, and Sirotkin. :pantano:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Samster

Post by Samster »

East Londoner wrote:That final lap and corner between Canamasas, Rowland, and Sirotkin. :pantano:

Canamasas is mentioned so I'm guessing an almighty crash? :P
Forester

Post by Forester »

Samster wrote:
East Londoner wrote:That final lap and corner between Canamasas, Rowland, and Sirotkin. :pantano:

Canamasas is mentioned so I'm guessing an almighty crash? :P

The only thing almighty about it is the strength of Canamasas' refusal to grow up after five seasons in this sport. If he's going to cause a stunningly unnecessary crash by shoving a car so far off the track it rides up on the sausage kerbs and cost himself a chance at points, surely the least he could have done is make it partway spectacular.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Siroktin :facepalm: What a bad move in the race two. He simply rammed Markelov in the last corner.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
andrew

Post by andrew »

And canamasas is involved in a crash
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

andrew wrote:And canamasas is involved in a crash

Did he do like a backflip or something?
andrew

Post by andrew »

Aislabie wrote:
andrew wrote:And canamasas is involved in a crash

Did he do like a backflip or something?

Contact with Pic caused him to roll mid air.
BigG80

Post by BigG80 »

To be fair to Canamassas I don't see this one as being his fault. He gave Pic room on the inside but Pic actually loses the car mid corner. You can see from the onboard how he steers suddenly left towards Canamassas mid corner as the backend lets go. That was enough to cause the contact.

It's very easy to blame Canamassas whenever there is an incident, I did the moment I saw it but the replay makes you think.
While I'm here can I just say that Gasly is proving me wrong every race weekend at the moment. His Sprint race in Spa was sublime. He really seems to have "got it" at long last once he got that first GP2 win. But it has to be said that it took him far too long and surely that counts against him in F1 terms.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

New GP2-level series to début in the UK.

Now taking bets on how long before it collapses!
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote:New GP2-level series to début in the UK.

Now taking bets on how long before it collapses!

I'll be following it, particularly if it turns into a rejectful series. Here's hoping for a round on the Brands Hatch Indy loop.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Samster

Post by Samster »

Considering the last time a British domestic race at this level had literaly three cars take part I see this flopping hard unless it turns out to be ridiculously cheap. And a winter series here? Not going to work.
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

The Interactive Sports Car Championship goes single-seaters.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Samster wrote:Considering the last time a British domestic race at this level had literally three cars take part I see this flopping hard unless it turns out to be ridiculously cheap.

I thought you were exaggerating, but you were not. Impressive stuff!
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Another GP2 thriller today. I love GP2, the racing is great, although the tyre randomness means results don't always equate to talent.
Nevertheless Giovinazzi has been great..and I wonder if the fried chicken backers have enough money to get him a formula 1 drive.
Jagonya Ayam have certainly stepped up since F3..but surely F1 is a bit too pricey. Or maybe there's more money in chicken than I credit them with.
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
andrew

Post by andrew »

Both gp2 and gp3 will go down to the final weekend. Gp3 is a straight ART fight between Albon and Leclerc who is some 17 points ahead. De vries meanwhile caused another, albeit minor collision in race 1.

In the gp2 mathematically it is Gasly, Giovanazzi and Marcellio for the tile, although realisticly it is the two Prema boys, if Antonio were to win he would be the first GP2 rookie champion since the hulk.

In the race today Luca Ghiotto claimed his maiden win. :dance: meanwhile the racing engineering boys collided with King driving into and blaming Nato
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I don't usually watch these junior series, but what weekend are these on, they sound like something I should be pencilling in :P
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
andrew

Post by andrew »

Rob Dylan wrote:I don't usually watch these junior series, but what weekend are these on, they sound like something I should be pencilling in :P

The same weekend as the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

OK that's not for ages, then. Oh, the suspense!
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
EuroBrun

Post by EuroBrun »

Great fun this year with both series.

F1 should really provide winning driver a seat in next year, sad to see how many champions never have had a possibility to stand out in the main series.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

http://www.gp2series.com/Multimedia/Videos/ GP3 do the same - while you're waiting a taste of the action . And GP2 always has action ( GP3 mostly..but sometimes is a bit F3 levels rather than GP)
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Abu Dhabi is imminent - can't wait. GP2 has a better title decider than F1; its intra team ( one 'pre eminent team this year- Prema), but there are no 'corporate' issues comparable to a factory F1 team, AND other drivers are bound to get involved with the contenders.
Great racing is usually guaranteed with GP2 , and Yas Marina helps. As long as its not a Pirelli tyre lottery , it should be brilliant
andrew

Post by andrew »

yannicksamlad wrote:Abu Dhabi is imminent - can't wait. GP2 has a better title decider than F1; its intra team ( one 'pre eminent team this year- Prema), but there are no 'corporate' issues comparable to a factory F1 team, AND other drivers are bound to get involved with the contenders.
Great racing is usually guaranteed with GP2 , and Yas Marina helps. As long as its not a Pirelli tyre lottery , it should be brilliant

Marcellio also has a small outside chance.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Furthermore, it looks like Hilmer will return for 2017 now that Maik Scheide has joined the team as a shareholder. Scheide has sponsored Marvin Kirchhöfer this year via his "Käse Maik" range of dairy products, so he might be a realistic option for the team.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

thanks to Andrew for pointing out that Marciello technically had a chance at being GP2 champ - I forgot.

Another enjoyable season GP2 and GP3, I thought. There are plenty of capable drivers and I really hope we can see Hilmer back in GP2 and get some more cars on grid. Where are those Status cars these days?
Also nice to see them sort out their championships without trying to drive slowly.

Already for next years GP2 Leclerc and Fuoco are confirmed at Prema , and Sette Camara has an MP drive . So where's Giovinazzi off to? ( And Gasly - who is barred from doing any more GP2 now he's champion I believe) . And what about Rowland/King/Marciello/Nato...all one step short of F1, but may not stay in GP2 ? Deletraz says he has some GP2 plans.....
I'll have to live with the uncertainty
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

yannicksamlad wrote:thanks to Andrew for pointing out that Marciello technically had a chance at being GP2 champ - I forgot.

Another enjoyable season GP2 and GP3, I thought. There are plenty of capable drivers and I really hope we can see Hilmer back in GP2 and get some more cars on grid. Where are those Status cars these days?
Also nice to see them sort out their championships without trying to drive slowly.

Already for next years GP2 Leclerc and Fuoco are confirmed at Prema , and Sette Camara has an MP drive . So where's Giovinazzi off to? ( And Gasly - who is barred from doing any more GP2 now he's champion I believe) . And what about Rowland/King/Marciello/Nato...all one step short of F1, but may not stay in GP2 ? Deletraz says he has some GP2 plans.....
I'll have to live with the uncertainty

I won't be surprised if Gasly will take part in FP1 sessions next year for Toro Rosso. I would be less so if he gets the call-up mid season if a certain someone doesn't improve.
The future McLaren http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Deletraz seems to be off to Racing Engineering, from what I can tell.

Prema's lineup of Leclerc and Fuoco is massive, what a great pairing! It'll be interesting to see how they fare with two series rookies, but they should be able to step up.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
andrew

Post by andrew »

Right sorted, I'm cheering for Prema next year, and also will cheer for whichever team Luca Ghiotto ends up at because I like the guy. Anyone who drives through the entire field in a gp3 race and goes round the outisde at the sachscurb (sorry for the monumental spelling error) earns my respect.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Yes Ghiotto seems genuinely quick. The slightly randomised way that GP2 teams seem to struggle with tyres and set up means he has had quite a few midfield races, and he was only with Trident, but yes I reckon he's a very capable driver. Prema just seem to understand the tyres and engineering so much better than others..impressive
BigG80

Post by BigG80 »

Nice to see Lynn sign off with a win but I question his logic of not doing a 3rd season. It wasn't the best of campaigns for him so surely a 3rd year to really do a good job would make more sense. Unless he feels that he cannot go a level better to win the title. It makes me think his career could head the way of James Calado's who I'm still disappointed in that he didn't make to F1.

Giovinazzi had a sub par final weekend by his high standards. If he had remained with Premature for 2017 he would surely be the title favourite. Hope he gets a good seat and some F1 seat time next year. He's such a talent.

Really enjoyed this year's GP2 and good to see Gasly finally get those wins and the title. Took him long enough!
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

BigG80 wrote:Nice to see Lynn sign off with a win but I question his logic of not doing a 3rd season. It wasn't the best of campaigns for him so surely a 3rd year to really do a good job would make more sense. Unless he feels that he cannot go a level better to win the title. It makes me think his career could head the way of James Calado's who I'm still disappointed in that he didn't make to F1.

Yes - agreed . So Lynn will lose his eligibility for a Superlicence by the end of next year if he doesnt pick up some big superlicence points in 2017..on my maths at least. And I'd think that he'd pick up more superlicence points in GP2 than anywhere else...so it doesnt look like F1 is on his list . And completely agree about Calado - I thought he was good enough for F1..but there you go
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

yannicksamlad wrote:
BigG80 wrote:Nice to see Lynn sign off with a win but I question his logic of not doing a 3rd season. It wasn't the best of campaigns for him so surely a 3rd year to really do a good job would make more sense. Unless he feels that he cannot go a level better to win the title. It makes me think his career could head the way of James Calado's who I'm still disappointed in that he didn't make to F1.

Yes - agreed . So Lynn will lose his eligibility for a Superlicence by the end of next year if he doesnt pick up some big superlicence points in 2017..on my maths at least. And I'd think that he'd pick up more superlicence points in GP2 than anywhere else...so it doesnt look like F1 is on his list . And completely agree about Calado - I thought he was good enough for F1..but there you go

Lynn's F1 career's basically over already. He was actually ahead on the Williams totem pole ahead of Lance Stroll, but two average years at DAMS in GP2's basically put paid to that, especially in this current day and age where's there the GP2 and GP3 fields are stacked with so much talent at the top end of town
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
girry

Post by girry »

In FR3.5, and an almost-F1-reject-team-related news, for this year Durango have been renamed Il Barone Rampante - you do remember, after that early 1990's F3000 team with a purple-yellow livery, who also had ill-fated plans to enter F1. It's not just a tribute either since there's an actual connection between the teams, too: Giuseppe Cipriani - the dude who was the team principal of the F3000 outfit - is a part of the FR3.5 squad as well.

You know, as a driver. At the fresh age of 52.

when you're dead people start listening
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

giraurd wrote:In FR3.5, and an almost-F1-reject-team-related news, for this year Durango have been renamed Il Barone Rampante - you do remember, after that early 1990's F3000 team with a purple-yellow livery, who also had ill-fated plans to enter F1. It's not just a tribute either since there's an actual connection between the teams, too: Giuseppe Cipriani - the dude who was the team principal of the F3000 outfit - is a part of the FR3.5 squad as well.

You know, as a driver. At the fresh age of 52.

So Don P still has a chance then? ;)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Giuseppe also appears to be a KISS superfan, given their logo and imagery have been on all his AutoGP cars.

I can't wait to see how they do - anyone who visits the ASMF will know my position on them! :deletraz:
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

The future McLaren http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

What are they going to call GP3? They can't call it F3, or if they did F3 would need to be called F4...then F4 would need to be called F5...
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

My bet is European F3 will be wound down over the next couple of seasons - it's already suffering from big drops in entry numbers. The whole F3 situation has been very poorly handled, but at least there's a British championship back up and running. Maybe other countries will do likewise if the European series bites the dust. The only problem then is aligning the technical regs with GP3 - when are they due a new GP3 car? That would be the ideal point to address it.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Current GP3 car debuted last year so expect new car in 2019.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Luca Ghiotto has signed for Russian Time :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: