The Junior Series Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Samster

Re: The Junior Series Thread

Post by Samster »

Its official, GP2 becomes Formula 2 starting from this season.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... ampionship

Seeing as they want a clear ladder from F4 to F1, I wonder how long they will keep GP3 around. Will they merge it with F3 and have that on the support schedule?

Also Cecotto will continue to make GP2/F2 a career as he joins Rapax. This will be the ninth season to see him take part in at least one meeting. He is paired with Nyck De Vries.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

And Nabil Jeffri gets a Trident drive and Boschung gets into a Campos. Each of those teams still has a place free..and no sign of any Hilmer return. And the Status and Carlin cars remain unused as well. ..Times seem to be tough, even though you might have thought economically things have been improving. Zhou isn't moving up, Camara and Cecotto are the only South Americans.
Shame we won't have a full grid, but the racing should still be fun.
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Samster

Post by Samster »

yannicksamlad wrote:And Nabil Jeffri gets a Trident drive and Boschung gets into a Campos. Each of those teams still has a place free..and no sign of any Hilmer return. And the Status and Carlin cars remain unused as well. ..Times seem to be tough, even though you might have thought economically things have been improving. Zhou isn't moving up, Camara and Cecotto are the only South Americans.

And Armand is rumoured to be Jeffri's teammate, which would probably be the weakest lineup since the GP2 era began. That would leave the 2nd Campos which is anyone's guess, so it will probably go to Canamasas. :P
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Samster wrote:
yannicksamlad wrote:And Nabil Jeffri gets a Trident drive and Boschung gets into a Campos. Each of those teams still has a place free..and no sign of any Hilmer return. And the Status and Carlin cars remain unused as well. ..Times seem to be tough, even though you might have thought economically things have been improving. Zhou isn't moving up, Camara and Cecotto are the only South Americans.

And Armand is rumoured to be Jeffri's teammate, which would probably be the weakest lineup since the GP2 era began. That would leave the 2nd Campos which is anyone's guess, so it will probably go to Canamasas. :P

Wel canamasas is currently actually testing for Trident instead of Campos (and Campos with Merhi, which wouldn't be a bad choice for them, not sure if it's a good choice for himself though).
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Samster wrote:

Yes Armand and Jeffri .....but Jeffri did go well a couple of times last year. GP2 can sometimes mask a driver's underlying talent potential..and then they suddenly turn up or improve (as they have different patterns of improving) . Palmer was an example of this; hes doing OK as a F1 driver, but I didnt see that coming when he started GP2.

Dave Price racing got no points in 2009 with Herck, Ricci, Perera and Johnny Cecotto ( only a couple of rounds for Johnny) ... and with only 20 cars on grid I am sure Trident would pick up points with Jeffri even if we think Armand wouldnt add to the score , so they might not be in for the worst season ever statistically.

At this point I'll break cover and say that I'm a Sergio fan, so I'm hoping he gets a drive and keeps things spectacular.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

This wrote:
Samster wrote:

Wel canamasas is currently actually testing for Trident instead of Campos (and Campos with Merhi, which wouldn't be a bad choice for them, not sure if it's a good choice for himself though).

So Merhi is going the Gimmi Bruni route, from F1 down to just under the lower class. I wonder if he'll be driving for Ferrari in the future...only to go to Porsche after awhile.
The future McLaren http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

It's a big weekend for the junior categories! F2 kicks off under its new moniker in Bahrain, while F3 and FV8 3.5 are both on the WEC support bill at Silverstone.

Oh, and I'm covering the latter for motorsport.com, which is cool ;)
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
andrew

Post by andrew »

And in a Suprise move Stefano Coletti has signed for Campos, the Monaco driver famous for well and truly fluffing the tile back in 2013. Trying to work out who may be the favourite this year is difficult. We have some good rookies in good teams (Namely Leclerc) of the experienced drivers still left in who will come up on top, Rowland? Nato? King? Or Ghiotto? I personally think (well want) Ghiotto to win.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Ataxia wrote:Oh, and I'm covering the latter for motorsport.com, which is cool ;)

We get it, you vape :P
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

tommykl wrote:
Ataxia wrote:Oh, and I'm covering the latter for motorsport.com, which is cool ;)

We get it, you vape :P

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
andrew

Post by andrew »

Sean Gelael speeding in the pit lane twice :facepalm: :facepalm:

MARKELOV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

In Formula V8 3.5 land, Pietro Fittipaldi got pole for both races and won the first of them today.

Egor Orudzhev got disqualified for being half a kilo underweight, perhaps suggesting he should have paid £45 for a burger from one of the Silverstone vans.

Also, Nelson Mason is a complete dude. Not really relevant to anything, just wanted to point that out.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Many of you will have been aware of the terrible accident in British F4 last Sunday involving Patrik Pasma and Billy Monger. Very sadly, Billy Monger has lost both of his lower legs. :( :( :(

I guess the only "positive" we can take from this is that he's still with us, but even that feels hollow given he's only 17.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
andrew

Post by andrew »

East Londoner wrote:Many of you will have been aware of the terrible accident in British F4 last Sunday involving Patrik Pasma and Billy Monger. Very sadly, Billy Monger has lost both of his lower legs. :( :( :(

I guess the only "positive" we can take from this is that he's still with us, but even that feels hollow given he's only 17.

According to Autosport he has been placed in a Medically induced Coma. I'm sure I speak for all of us here at gp rejects when I say get well soon Billy,
BigG80

Post by BigG80 »

Really awful news about Billy Monger, I can't really imagine what he is going to have to go through on his recovery. My thoughts have been with him since I saw the news story earlier this evening.

Wouldn't it be amazing if Alex Zanardi could visit him and give him some strength and positive words having been through something similar.

I can't bring myself to be a ghoul and watch the crash footage. What caused him to receive such terrible injuries? Surely the crash structure on a modern car should be able to withstand a collision so why has this one had such a bad outcome?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

BigG80 wrote:I can't bring myself to be a ghoul and watch the crash footage. What caused him to receive such terrible injuries? Surely the crash structure on a modern car should be able to withstand a collision so why has this one had such a bad outcome?

Simply, Billy Monger came over a blind crest and hit a stationary car head-on, without any yellow flags flying/ being waved. Footage on YouTube shows the on-board camera view. I saw it before I knew the full consequence of what was happening.

There has been a fund-raising campaign for Billy and they exceeded the £260,000 within hours. Even F1 and IndyCar drivers have been tweeting about it. At least they have time to decide how the money is to be spent thanks to the NHS providing wonderful care.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
andrew

Post by andrew »

As of the moment I write this comment, the crowdfunding has raised 200% of the initial target, including £15,000 donations from Max Verstappen and Jenson Button.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I always record the BTCC broadcasts and watch them later. I skim through most of the support races except for the Ginetta Juniors and F4 as they are often exciting races.

I saw Billy's accident when I was watching the coverage yesterday. Unfortunately as he had the onboard camera, it went out live from his point of view. It was truly horrible, and reminded me of Riccardo Paletti's fatal accident. Thank goodness it didn't have the same outcome, awful as the news about him is.

I don't think there was any blame to be attributed. Pasma's car seemed to just conk out unexpectedly and the marshals probably didn't have time to react before Billy arrived on the scene unsighted.

The best that can be hoped for is that he gets to race again like Zanardi did. Hopefully he can get inspiration from him, and it's great to see how well the appeal for funds is going.
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Shades of Hamilton at Turkey '06 :shock:
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:

Shades of Hamilton at Turkey '06 :shock:

That's exactly what came to mind for me too. Giovinazzi must be feeling the pressure as the most senior Ferrari Academy driver...
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Just caught up on the F2 Monaco race. Wow, was that a fall back down to earth for Leclerc. I personally think he's a fantastic driver from what I've seen so far, but he needs to make sure he gets right back on it next race, because Rowland seems pretty dependable for the most part. Markelov is fast, but just not consistent enough, and Ghiotto isn't getting the really big results he needs to challenge. So I'm seeing a Rowland/Leclerc fight for this season, unless Charles gets back on it and runs away with it in the way we were expecting before Monaco happened.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Rob Dylan wrote:Just caught up on the F2 Monaco race. Wow, was that a fall back down to earth for Leclerc. I personally think he's a fantastic driver from what I've seen so far, but he needs to make sure he gets right back on it next race, because Rowland seems pretty dependable for the most part. Markelov is fast, but just not consistent enough, and Ghiotto isn't getting the really big results he needs to challenge. So I'm seeing a Rowland/Leclerc fight for this season, unless Charles gets back on it and runs away with it in the way we were expecting before Monaco happened.

Personally I think Chas will bounce back quickly and effectively. He had a bad Monaco , but he wasnt slow. I think he's the class of the field and he's at Prema who really understand the tyres ( see Bahrain ) and the car. I dont see anyone beating him to the title. Fuoco though...he had a really bad Monaco . GP2, I mean F2, is a bit capricious - you can be quick, then suddenly off the pace etc, but Fuoco is at Prema..Mind you I remember Maldonado having a nightmare time against Hulkenberg...and then next season , new team..bingo
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

The F2 feature race was a glorious shitshow just now. Cecotto, Jeffri and Can'tamasas provided a barrel of laughs with their antics, but ultimately Sean Gelol outdid them all by crashing at the castle and blocking the track. :pantano:

Matsushita really doesn't like this circuit, does he?
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
andrew

Post by andrew »

With incident with Fuoco was not Canamasas fault. He had a decent race until his huuuuge lock up.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Was I the only one who felt that Boschung's moves on the first few laps were quite dangerous? I understand the stewards are a little more lenient with driving matters in the lower categories, but his defensive moves in the first few laps were outrageous. He almost slammed Rowland into the pit barrier when the race started, he was making multiple late moves which instigated Nato glancing him, and was swerving all over the track later on. I'm surprised he didn't at least get a warning.

Anyway, great race from Nato, good to see him come back after a bad case of Fisichellitis. Super bad luck for Rowland, though I'd say he's a pretty safe bet to end runner-up this year, providing he doesn't drop the ball in later rounds. Ghiotto's record this season has been a bit strange - he seems to be regularly involved in scraps with the front-runners and is seen to be overtaking. But when the race is over he is rarely at the top end of the points.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Some F2 switcharoos! Cecotto makes way for Canamasas at Rapax, and Rafaelle Marciello drops back into the series with Trident.

No word whether Albon will be back in for ART after breaking his collarbone.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Ataxia wrote:No word whether Albon will be back in for ART after breaking his collarbone.

He will participate at Red Bull Ring.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Rob Dylan wrote:Was I the only one who felt that Boschung's moves on the first few laps were quite dangerous? I understand the stewards are a little more lenient with driving matters in the lower categories, but his defensive moves in the first few laps were outrageous. He almost slammed Rowland into the pit barrier when the race started, he was making multiple late moves which instigated Nato glancing him, and was swerving all over the track later on. I'm surprised he didn't at least get a warning..

Actually I don't agree; I thought Boschung was ok. With NATO he was a bit middle of road on the approach to T2, but I don't think he moved, I think NATO just didn't expect him to brake and had to jump inside quicker than expected. And then when Sirotkin and Leclerc passed he was very careful. In the queue he looked for a gap a bit, but I don't think he really changed direction too much. But I did think Leclerc cut across Markelov a bit too sharp when he passed him on the straight.
And I'm really not sure that stewards are lenient in F2..lots of penalties for not slowing and incidents..compared with F1 intra team wipeouts with no penalties. No?
Actually I thought the F2 boys were impressive in Baku, which is a track designed for collisions.
Let's see what they do in Austria!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

You may have seen this video from ADAC Formula 4 in the last day or so, where Sophia Floersch has to take evasive action to avoid a bathplugging SUV which is dawdling across the track. So what do ADAC do when they see this footage? Do they give the SUV driver a bollocking and/or tighten up the list of safety regulations?

Of course not. What they decide to do is give Floersch a €5,000 fine for posting the video of the incident online. Unbelievable. Image Image Image
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Leclerc hits his team mate and is out of the sprint race! :shock:
BigG80

Post by BigG80 »

Finally caught up with Austrian F2 last night. Bit of a weird collision with Leclerc. I think he was being opportunistic but perhaps a bit over hasty as well. Definitely a racing incident though.

Overall he's very good isn't he. He's making the rest of the field look a bit slow. Part of that has to be attributed to driving a Prema but he's really making use of it in an amazing way.

I'm disappointed Ghiotto isn't qualifying well. But the flipside of that is we wouldn't see his amazing overtaking skills quite so often.

Rowland has been a bit disappointing. He had phenomenal 1 lap quali pace when he first came in and this season I was expecting him to consistently podium in the Feature race to demonstrate he's worthy of graduating to F1. Seeing as no one has an answer for Leclerc, they all need to show they're firmly the best of the rest. But right now, Rowland is looking a bit Palmer.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I wouldn't go as far (yet) as comparing Rowland to Palmer. He's currently more in the Heidfeld bracket, where he appears to be dependable in most situations, will bring back decent results, though suffers bad luck and the really spectacular results are fewer and further between than one would like.

Leclerc appears more like the real deal every race, though. The crash with his teammate was just unlucky under the circumstances of a bunched-up field in the safety car. Markelov is impressive but too inconsistent. He needs to keep up the good results if he doesn't want to miss the hiring window and "do a Hulkenberg", a.k.a. start pulling out the results when it's far too late.

My problem is that this is the first season of GP2/F2 that I've watched all the way through, so I don't have the prior context of how good Rowland and Markelov were last year, and I can only judge them on this year's performance.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Rob Dylan wrote:My problem is that this is the first season of GP2/F2 that I've watched all the way through, so I don't have the prior context of how good Rowland and Markelov were last year, and I can only judge them on this year's performance.

Markelov's been in it for four years now, and he's still not a consistent front-runner. Fantastic overtaker, really knows how to turn a race on its head, but he's not got the out-and-out pace to match it.

Rowland's only in his second full year, and being up there with Leclerc is no mean feat (especially as the DAMS doesn't quite have the pace of Prema). Transferring from The Series Formerly Known as Formula Renault 3.5 is a bit tricky, especially making the transition from the rock-hard Michelins to the camembert Pirellis. He'd be a dependable hand in F1 - no world beater, but probably at a Magnussen/Grosjean level.
BigG80

Post by BigG80 »

Sound assessments there guys and I agree. I would say though that Rowland's problem is that to make your mark at this level, you need to win or be runner up in season 2, season 3 at the latest. He's doing that but not in the way that Giovinazzi was runner up for example. And there don't seem to be that many drivers putting a consistent season together.

Once you get past season 3 or 4, it seems unlikely that a driver will progress to F1.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

I was at Silverstone, and once again very impressed with the driving in F2 ( still think of it as GP2) - some great racing, wheel to wheel , with Ralph Boschung's decision to use the grass the exception. Yes there is some overly aggressive driving at times ( this time - Ollie Rowland..who can be a bit prone to this), but really nothing worse than I think we sometimes see in F1 .
But as people are saying - the opportunity to get into F1- is just not there for most of them. Charles Leclerc surely must get there , he is so good. But when is Pierre Gasly getting his F1 drive ? Maybe next year, but maybe not. And Giovinazzi ? And Sirotkin ? It says something that they really have only a chance at an F1 drive not an expectation, and maybe only a 50% chance. Ollie Rowland is in the Renault programme - but so are quite a few others ( and theres Kubica, and Sainz who arent). Its the lack of F1 entries , and longer careers in F1..etc. But with F1 under subscribed there just arent the seats available . Rowland may wind up like Leimar, Pantano etc
It seems a bit tough, and I really think F2 and GP3 should market themselves as proper race series in their own right - entertaining, spectacular, quick cars ( they've got some power) instead of just 'feeder' . And maybe get a bit more TV exposure and TV/sponsorship money Then perhaps they could also run to full grids . The more the merrier.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

F2 free practice this morning in Hungary - all cars within about 1.6 sec of Charles Leclerc ( obviously the fastest man on track). That's really competitive.
I love F2 - and at Silverstone I was able to buy a ticket for access to the support paddock and see , and meet , and talk to some drivers .
I was very happy to meet Sergio Canamasas who was kind enough to chat etc, and Charles Leclerc was great - making time for a photo and autograph for my son. And Ralph Boschung too - very approachable.
1.6 seconds covers all the field - the cars are quick , the drivers are quality. ( and Sergio only 0.4 off Charles) - they could really make F2 a bit more of a 'thing' - all the raw material is there for people who like open wheel racing.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Driver swaps for Spa!

Nyck De Vries and Louis Deletraz swap teams, and Deletraz now joins Rapax as De Vries hooks up with Racing Engineering as they attempt to save face from a dodgy opening few rounds.

Oh, and Roberto Merhi's in the other Rapax, and replaces Canamasas to the dismay/delight of many.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Ataxia wrote:Driver swaps for Spa!

Nyck De Vries and Louis Deletraz swap teams, and Deletraz now joins Rapax as De Vries hooks up with Racing Engineering as they attempt to save face from a dodgy opening few rounds.

Oh, and Roberto Merhi's in the other Rapax, and replaces Canamasas to the dismay/delight of many.

I think the only people dismayed are those who wish to see Armageddon at the race,