Ponderbox

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Ponderbox

Post by yannicksamlad »

CoopsII wrote:Well, I guess the numbers are down but the ones that still watch F1 are the important ones, the ones they want, demographics etc.

Plus there's probably other ways of watching that aren't measurable, online highlights clips etc.

For me I think F1 wants to chase new fans ( hence sprint races etc ) as well as keeping longer term fans who might be getting a little bored with Mercedes domination , but there is a huge risk that it attracts interest without attracting money. Fans who like to follow F1 on social media and just watch the free F1 videos and highlights, who dont buy a £40 team T shirt .. how much advertising income do they generate for F1?
Whereas those who pay for Sky , and will buy a race ticket for £400 are the ones keeping F1 in money.
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

It always seems strange to me to hear of “fans” getting bored of F1 being dominated by Mercedes / Red Bull / Ferrari / McLaren / Williams etc as it makes me think they’re missing the point of it.
Just For One Day...
Francophone

Post by Francophone »

CoopsII wrote:It always seems strange to me to hear of “fans” getting bored of F1 being dominated by Mercedes / Red Bull / Ferrari / McLaren / Williams etc as it makes me think they’re missing the point of it.

I couldn't agree more. What Mercedes is doing is pretty much unrivalled across all sport - to have dominance happening so long and to put together a team culture to sustain it is remarkable in itself and worth watching.

I know reliability was a thing in 1992 but I also wonder how current audiences would deal with a season like that where the FW14B in the hands of Mansell would just destroy everything , even Senna in his McLaren was nearly 3s off pole in P3 at Silverstone that year!
MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx

Post by MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx »

With the current trend of having two races back to back at a single circuit, would the logistics work so that one of the races could be run anti-clockwise? Somewhere like Austria with few corners would be easy in turns of the run off areas,barriers,pit lane exit/entry surely? It'd give more of a sense of variety to the races.
Some people are looking for the meaning of life.Me,I'll be satisfied with a cute girl who can tell her Andrea Moda from her AGS...
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx wrote:With the current trend of having two races back to back at a single circuit, would the logistics work so that one of the races could be run anti-clockwise? Somewhere like Austria with few corners would be easy in turns of the run off areas,barriers,pit lane exit/entry surely? It'd give more of a sense of variety to the races.

It probably would need to be graded separately by the FIA to be deemed safe. The only non-oval I know is graded for racing in both directions is Knockhill.
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Is anyone high on gummy bears?
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Spectoremg wrote:Is anyone high on gummy bears?

No, Hiyoko, we are not.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I wonder what Liberty will come up with next to “spice up the racing”? - which is a phrase I’ve grown to despise as much as “ I’m not racist, but…”

Certainly their ‘chuck ideas in blender and see what happens’ approach means literally anything’s possible.

Anyone want to hazard a guess?
Just For One Day...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

CoopsII wrote:I wonder what Liberty will come up with next to “spice up the racing”? - which is a phrase I’ve grown to despise as much as “ I’m not racist, but…”

Certainly their ‘chuck ideas in blender and see what happens’ approach means literally anything’s possible.

I've been feeling actually that the 3-4 hour rule will have another moment soon enough. I think that if they can stop the time, we're going to have a race where the time starts, then they stop the clock after 20 minutes because of too much rain. Then because of the washout they host the race on the Monday instead, and we get a 24+hour Formula 1 race :D
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
mario

Post by mario »

CoopsII wrote:I wonder what Liberty will come up with next to “spice up the racing”? - which is a phrase I’ve grown to despise as much as “ I’m not racist, but…”

Going by the introduction of the overtaking award, it is probably going to be some sort of similarly tacky "award" that can be sold for more sponsorship opportunities, but can be introduced relatively cheaply and easily.

Given that there is already a poll position trophy, I wouldn't be surprised if the next move is something like a "most fastest laps" trophy, or perhaps some sort of award for winning the most sprint races.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

mario wrote:Going by the introduction of the overtaking award, it is probably going to be some sort of similarly tacky "award" that can be sold for more sponsorship opportunities, but can be introduced relatively cheaply and easily.

Given that there is already a poll position trophy, I wouldn't be surprised if the next move is something like a "most fastest laps" trophy, or perhaps some sort of award for winning the most sprint races.

Just For One Day...
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

mario wrote:Going by the introduction of the overtaking award, it is probably going to be some sort of similarly tacky "award" that can be sold for more sponsorship opportunities, but can be introduced relatively cheaply and easily.

Isn't there already a fastest lap award sponsored by DHL?
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Nuppiz wrote:

Next thing they'll be handing out trophies for individual races! Oh wait
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Is Zandvoort Hungary with banked curves?
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Spectoremg wrote:Is Zandvoort Hungary with banked curves?

Tarzanbocht = the old turn 1
Turn 3 = turn 2
Right-hand sweeper (the first one) = turn 5
Corner after that = turn 8
Short straight into secondary overtaking point near the end of the lap
Roughly square corner near the end = roughly square corner near the end

close enough
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

I feel that some people who value just overtaking hated the battle between Alonso and Hamilton in Hungary and for them it would have been better if Hamilton had succeeded to overtake on the first try.
UncreativeUsername37

Bleu wrote:I feel that some people who value just overtaking hated the battle between Alonso and Hamilton in Hungary and for them it would have been better if Hamilton had succeeded to overtake on the first try.

I remember someone once saying here (well, I think it was here) that a lot of battles from older races weren't exciting because you knew they wouldn't overtake and a lot of battles from newer races weren't exciting because you knew they would overtake.

I want to add something to that, but my mind has gone a few different directions and none of them are awfully insightful....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

UncreativeUsername37 wrote:
Bleu wrote:I feel that some people who value just overtaking hated the battle between Alonso and Hamilton in Hungary and for them it would have been better if Hamilton had succeeded to overtake on the first try.

I remember someone once saying here (well, I think it was here) that a lot of battles from older races weren't exciting because you knew they wouldn't overtake and a lot of battles from newer races weren't exciting because you knew they would overtake.

I want to add something to that, but my mind has gone a few different directions and none of them are awfully insightful....

Basically what we like to see is many hard-fought overtakes with a high difficulty level, but that might be impossible to happen in large numbers.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
mario

Post by mario »

Nuppiz wrote:

Turns out there is, and it has actually been going since 2007 - looks like that concept has already been milked for sponsorship cash then.

As for what Liberty Media might try next, they've thrown up another one of their fan surveys and have thrown out the following ideas:
1) Success ballast;
2) Reintroducing refuelling during the race;
3) Making drivers use three compounds per race;
4) Using sprint qualifying races at every round of the season;
5) Introducing reverse races;
6) An additional race each weekend for reserve drivers to complete in.

https://www.racefans.net/2021/09/10/f1s ... ens-seidl/

Yes, Liberty Media are, once again, trying to push the idea of a reverse race - even though this idea was shot down repeatedly over the past couple of years, they still keep trying to reintroduce the concept.

As an offshoot of that fourth idea, they've also looked at modifying the sprint races - instead of having the finishing order of the sprint race set the starting order for Sunday, the sprint race would become a stand alone race, with the Friday qualifying session setting the grid for both Saturday and Sunday.

Given it would then become a separate race within the wider race weekend, Brawn is also toying with the idea of increasing the number of points paying positions for those sprint races. https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-c ... 2/6663754/

Looking at the list, it does feel as if Liberty Media are looking at a lot of measures that will aggravate the current fan base - I can see a lot of comparisons with the way that NASCAR has been run in recent years, especially as some of the ideas were floated in NASCAR.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

And yet we keep watching because we love the abuse, don't we?
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I answered the survey and noticed all those same things. All their suggestions of "would you like to see" were mostly either rehashing old stuff or just terrible new ideas like the aforementioned success ballast.

Like all big company surveys, you have that feeling most of the questions are just directed to give the decision-makers the answers that they're already looking to justify. There was only one space for comment, at the very end, after what is a 15-20 minute survey. And of course most of the actual issues that bother me personally didn't arise.

So I wrote this in the comment box at the end:

"As a long-time fan, I think F1 has made a lot of good progress in recent years following Ecclestone leaving. However, there is still a lot of improvement to go. Every fan I know hates the 20+ race calendar. It is too long and saturated and dilutes the season show. F1 needs to encourage new teams. 20 cars is too small, and the sport is only hurting itself by putting extravagant fees on new entries for no reason. I was hoping that Liberty would stop this growing exclusivity of the sport, and while media-wise they have improved the sport's reputation, they have lost my trust after the Belgian Grand Prix this year after how they treated fans at the circuit and not offering refunds. Talk is easy, but there is much real change still needed."

It was the best I could do in the smallest space possible.
mario

Post by mario »

Butterfox wrote:And yet we keep watching because we love the abuse, don't we?

Well, it has to be said that most of the ideas they've been throwing out there haven't gone through yet.

Still, the way that Liberty have acted more recently is sowing the seeds for greater distrust. I suppose that some might wonder if Liberty Media might be seen as making the mistakes that NASCAR are often held up as having made - in other words, overestimating the loyalty of their original core audience when introducing gimmicks to interest a more casual crowd, but failing to secure either in the long term.
BJ McLeod

Post by BJ McLeod »

Honestly I don't mind a few of the various gimmicks in NASCAR, it is definitely fairly artificial at times, but entertaining

Except for the idea of moving the numbers forward. Looks terrible
UncreativeUsername37

I know it was touched on in IIDOTR, but with Leclerc not getting an endplate to the face, Grosjean not getting a barrier to the face, and now Hamilton, it feels like the halo was introduced just in time. I could cite multiple reasons it's a good thing F1's rules aren't decided by a council of longtime forumers, but safety matters is the best one.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

UncreativeUsername37 wrote:I know it was touched on in IIDOTR, but with Leclerc not getting an endplate to the face, Grosjean not getting a barrier to the face, and now Hamilton, it feels like the halo was introduced just in time. I could cite multiple reasons it's a good thing F1's rules aren't decided by a council of longtime forumers, but safety matters is the best one.

It really highlights the extent of the run of good luck that Formula One had between 1994 and 2014 that nobody died despite so many incidents in which they very much could have done
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Rob Dylan wrote:I answered the survey and noticed all those same things. All their suggestions of "would you like to see" were mostly either rehashing old stuff or just terrible new ideas like the aforementioned success ballast.

Like all big company surveys, you have that feeling most of the questions are just directed to give the decision-makers the answers that they're already looking to justify. There was only one space for comment, at the very end, after what is a 15-20 minute survey. And of course most of the actual issues that bother me personally didn't arise.

So I wrote this in the comment box at the end:

"As a long-time fan, I think F1 has made a lot of good progress in recent years following Ecclestone leaving. However, there is still a lot of improvement to go. Every fan I know hates the 20+ race calendar. It is too long and saturated and dilutes the season show. F1 needs to encourage new teams. 20 cars is too small, and the sport is only hurting itself by putting extravagant fees on new entries for no reason. I was hoping that Liberty would stop this growing exclusivity of the sport, and while media-wise they have improved the sport's reputation, they have lost my trust after the Belgian Grand Prix this year after how they treated fans at the circuit and not offering refunds. Talk is easy, but there is much real change still needed."

It was the best I could do in the smallest space possible.

Well said. I'm not sure I was quite so comprehensive
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

I think I'm right in saying that over half the finishers in the Italian GP did their fastest laps on the last tour.
Despite marbles and tyre wear.
And yet we hear of drivers going 'as fast as they can' in the race earlier.
I know they have fuel saving, and tyre saving, and tyre saving has always been a thing in races of any distance. But I do suspect that drivers are routinely prevented from going as fast as they can because of some of the technical rules we have.
And in the Sprint it was noticeable how it seemed engine saving was an important factor ..because moving up a place on the grid wasn't worth the risk.
Do others feel the same?
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

UncreativeUsername37 wrote:I know it was touched on in IIDOTR, but with Leclerc not getting an endplate to the face, Grosjean not getting a barrier to the face, and now Hamilton, it feels like the halo was introduced just in time. I could cite multiple reasons it's a good thing F1's rules aren't decided by a council of longtime forumers, but safety matters is the best one.

And drivers too. I'm sure Hamilton didn't like the halo when it first appeared. I believe recent events have brought him round to the idea, though :lol:
Just For One Day...
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Has any F1 team signed any race driver due to money based on their own announcement? And if so, who is the most recent one?
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Bleu wrote:Has any F1 team signed any race driver due to money based on their own announcement? And if so, who is the most recent one?

If any did, it was the Rejectissimi of the late 20th Century. These days, all you'll get is an obfuscated statement along these lines:
Saubfer Romeo wrote:Guanyu Zhou will be a fine driver and the best possible partner for Valtteri Bottas in 2022, we genuinely believe he's a better bet than pinching Mick Schumacher from Haas even though it's the obvious thing to do because everyone wants to know if he's actually any good or not and being measured against Nikita Mazepin tells us nothing. Now, please ignore this massive pile of bags full of Chinese banknotes with Chairman Mao's face on them, that has absolutely nothing to do with it, nothing at all. In fact, pretend they don't even exist. And now, we would like to introduce our new sponsors: Hisense, Haier, TikTok, Baidu, Guangxi (the Trumpchi is based on an Alfa Romeo 166, don't you know), and King Chemical.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I'm currently pondering how great it is to see the forum in this format, and my pondering concludes "pretty dam good"! :dance:
Just For One Day...
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

I find it hard to read because light blue blackground.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I too like the current style but understand the need for change if it is not accessible for people. I wonder if the background colour could have a default setting with a few user selectable alternatives?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Yeah, I think a dark mode would be good for the forum as well as the main site. I'll ask the techies!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I've just noticed that the number of views that each thread gets has disappeared. I assume that was a deliberate decision during the recent refurbishment rather than by accident?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

dr-baker wrote: 20 May 2022, 05:26 I've just noticed that the number of views that each thread gets has disappeared. I assume that was a deliberate decision during the recent refurbishment rather than by accident?
Interesting, as it still shows up on my screen. Could a third person (preferably not an admin) confirm whether or not they get to see thread view numbers?
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

I can see the thread views number.
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Is it possible that it is viewable on desktop but not mobile?
MCard LOLA
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

dr-baker wrote: 20 May 2022, 15:34 Is it possible that it is viewable on desktop but not mobile?
I was viewing on desktop before, but just checked my phone and my iphone shows the views column as well.
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

For a while I thought "see unread posts" had disappeared but luckily found it couple of days later.