Ponderbox

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Ponderbox

Post by ADx_Wales »

The less-angry cousin of Rantbox.

Currently watching the BBC online F1 Classic races, Monza 1991. And just pondered:

Wasn't James Hunt bloody awesome in his role as Murray's Sidekick.

...if it crosses your mind. Post it here :)
Last edited by ADx_Wales on 08 Sep 2010, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
CarlosFerreira

Re: Ponderbox

Post by CarlosFerreira »

F1 stands at a cross-roads. It usefulness and relevance rely on it being somewhere between the bling of the 2000's and the privateer-trailer-park looks of the 1960's and 1970's.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

If Ferrari got away with lying.

Shouldnt Hamilton's lie last year be reinstated?
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

is it a show or a sport.....if its a show.... can they do anybody for bringing it into disrepute.....
Walsh_e

Post by Walsh_e »

ADx_Wales wrote:The less-angry cousin of Rantbox.

Currently watching the BBC online F1 Classic races, Monza 1991. And just pondered:

Wasn't James Hunt bloody awesome in his role as Murray's Sidekick.

...if it crosses your mind. Post it here :)

Agreed, loved some of Hunts comments although never liked his vendetta against Patrese, especially after reading about the incident he blamed him for.

From watching the highlights on the bbc got me thinking that the early nineties were a golden age for F1, so much variety in car design, engines, technology, sadly all gone now.
I'm proud to live in the best hemisphere, the British hemisphere!

"So it was Lauda Vs de Cesaris, de Cesaris had the advantage of youth, Lauda had the advantage of experience, some said he had the advantage of brains" - Clive James
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Just today I was reading an Eddie Irvine interview in the latest issue of the Spanish F1 Racing. He called the Ferrari he drove in 1999 a snail and said it was good because it was reliable. Well what about Luca Badoer, then?
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Do people hate Ferrari because of its success?
TimmyB

Post by TimmyB »

ADx_Wales wrote:If Ferrari got away with lying.

The difference is that you can prove Hamilton lied, you couldn't prove in a court of law beyond reasonable doubt that Ferrari lied...
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

thehemogoblin wrote:Do people hate Ferrari because of its success?

Do people hate McLaren because of its success?

Do people hate Fernando because of his success?

Do people hate Lewis because of his success?

Everyone will find small things to point to each of F1's bête-noires, but the fact of the matter is success acts as a polarising factor. The most successful people are usually either loved or loathed.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

CarlosFerreira wrote:

Do people hate McLaren because of its success?

Do people hate Fernando because of his success?

Do people hate Lewis because of his success?

Everyone will find small things to point to each of F1's bête-noires, but the fact of the matter is success acts as a polarising factor. The most successful people are usually either loved or loathed.

Usually both, by different factions.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Pulling out a "burn from the stern" performance on GP4 with the 2006 mod is alot harder than you think...

Just thought I'ld put that out there
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

We know Rosberg is a good driver. We also acknowledge the Mercedes isn't a bad car at all. You know what? On the back of last year's performance, I reckon they may CREAM Singapore this year.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

CarlosFerreira wrote:We also acknowledge the Mercedes isn't a bad car at all.

But the Mercedes is as bad a car as everyone's saying it is. The only reasons they're up there are Rosberg and the Mercedes engine. I've read on here and possibly elsewhere that the problem is the balance of the car is completely at odds with both the drivers and the tyres (The same problem happened to an extent in the second half of 09 and from what I've heard they still can't solve the problem.)
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Wizzie wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:We also acknowledge the Mercedes isn't a bad car at all.

But the Mercedes is as bad a car as everyone's saying it is. The only reasons they're up there are Rosberg and the Mercedes engine. I've read on here and possibly elsewhere that the problem is the balance of the car is completely at odds with both the drivers and the tyres (The same problem happened to an extent in the second half of 09 and from what I've heard they still can't solve the problem.)

It's still probably the fourth fastest car on the grid overall, depending on the circuit...
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

CarlosFerreira wrote:It's still probably the fourth fastest car on the grid overall, depending on the circuit...

I disagree, Renault are well ahead at the moment and even Williams are often quicker. Force India (well, Sutil) are sometimes quicker than Merc depending on the circuit, although they have dropped back recently.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Prepare to throw papayas.

Karun Chandhok is more awesome than Kamui Kobayashi.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

redbulljack14 wrote:Prepare to throw papayas.

We grant you the benefit of doubt.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Phoenix wrote:
redbulljack14 wrote:Prepare to throw papayas.

We grant you the benefit of doubt.

It is Chandhok after all.
ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

Chandhok is the Indian Kobayashi.

That being said Kobayashi in The Usual Suspects was Indian.

Contains Swearing
IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

I resent all success, I don't like Ferrari cos they've won more than anyone else over the last decade, I didn't like Schumacher at all, but now he's not winning (especially during his retirement) I grew to like him.

I like watching anyone beat Red Bull, because it feels like they are the team to beat, and I like seeing the underdog win. Conversely, I like seeing Webber win because it seems like he shouldn't be beating Vettel.

I still like Jenson Button because I got the impression he was truly delighted to have won a title, realised that perhaps he shouldn't have, and doesn't take victory at all for granted.

I'm liking Hamilton a lot less these days because I get the impression he feels he should be winning, and any reason he doesn't win couldn't possibly be his fault. A second championship might tip him over into outright hatred.

CarlosFerreira wrote:We know Rosberg is a good driver. We also acknowledge the Mercedes isn't a bad car at all. You know what? On the back of last year's performance, I reckon they may CREAM Singapore this year.

It depends on the standards by which you judge them. By the standards of BAR and particularly Honda its a decent car, by the standards of the reigning world champions, its very poor. You have to remember that they have slipped from a part of the "big four" and podium contention (at least with Rosberg) to head of the midfield and often behind the Williams and particularly Kubica's Renault in less than a year.

With regards Singapore, i'd say RBR have the better shot, that car has been mighty at every kind of circuit, they've been quick at the tracks where they struggled last year (Monaco, Hungaroring, Spa) and even seem to be on the pace at Monza. The merc might be well suited to Singapore, but there no answer to the raw downforce of the RBR. Where McLaren and and Ferrari will be is harder to tell.
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!" - James Hunt, Monaco 1982
ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

I got fed up of Ferrari's success, I hate their attempts to try not to lose lately. Fernando thinks he's still in the title hunt because he takes my F1 Finals concept as the actual series.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

IdeFan wrote:You have to remember that they have slipped from a part of the "big four" and podium contention (at least with Rosberg) to head of the midfield and often behind the Williams and particularly Kubica's Renault in less than a year.

Don't forget Sutil's Force India
WeirdKerr

Post by WeirdKerr »

redbulljack14 wrote:
IdeFan wrote:You have to remember that they have slipped from a part of the "big four" and podium contention (at least with Rosberg) to head of the midfield and often behind the Williams and particularly Kubica's Renault in less than a year.

Mercedes are the new sauber ie start the year looking strong before slipping back into the depths of midfield by the end of the season.....
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

WeirdKerr wrote:
redbulljack14 wrote:

Mercedes are the new sauber ie start the year looking strong before slipping back into the depths of midfield by the end of the season.....

Sauber often slipped back because they barely evolved the car over the course of the season. Mercedes just have a troublesome car.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Carlos Ferreira - Telling Colin Kolles to go home since 2010.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

redbulljack14 wrote:Carlos Ferreira - Telling Colin Kolles to go home since 2010.

:lol:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

They should move the startline, and build a new pits at Monza before the Parabolica.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

TimmyB wrote:
ADx_Wales wrote:If Ferrari got away with lying.

The difference is that you can prove Hamilton lied, you couldn't prove in a court of law beyond reasonable doubt that Ferrari lied...

And Hamilton lied to try and have another competitor disqualified, which is far worse.
WeirdKerr

Post by WeirdKerr »

is it time to introduce a rule that the compulsory pit stop must be carried out before 80% race distance or something
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

WeirdKerr wrote:is it time to introduce a rule that the compulsory pit stop must be carried out before 80% race distance or something

It's time to introduce proper F1 tyres that degrade, or instead eliminate tyre changes altogether.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
mario

Post by mario »

ADx_Wales wrote:They should move the startline, and build a new pits at Monza before the Parabolica.

Any particular reason why you think they should do that?

And on a pensive note, another note to add. During the pre-race build up, Sir J. Stewart was talking about changes in safety regulations, and was talking about the changes in the way that the drivers react. In particular, he pointed out that Moss mentioned that, in his day, no driver would have done anything like Schumacher's move in Hungary, and Jackie noted that they would have been much more careful in defending their position in his era as well.
As a result, he suggested that the increased safety of the cars has created a new problem - that the drivers feel that they can take ever bigger liberties with each other and the track, because if they crash, it doesn't matter. By comparison, if you go back, say, 20 or 30 years, a heavy crash would be much more likely to result in a serious ijury, or even prove fatal - so the drivers would not push each other around on the track, as much because they knew that they could be seriously injured (as well as the other driver).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I hope Mercedes and Williams build competitive cars next year. Just so Schumacher can have another go at the title, only to be completely crushed by Barrichello. But is Rubens so old Hulkenberg would beat him? :?
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I think someone should have reminded this earlier...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KOBAYASHI KAMUI!

And tomorrow is Kuwashima Masami's birthday, according to Stats F1.
RAK

Post by RAK »

Vitantonio Liuzzi has probably just given up his last, best chance to be unrejectified with the twelfth place at Monza.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Does anyone know what the longest contract a driver has signed with a team is? Off the top of my head I assume a 5 year deal.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

F1000X wrote:Does anyone know what the longest contract a driver has signed with a team is? Off the top of my head I assume a 5 year deal.

Hamilton signed a 5 year extension in Jan 2008. Runs up to end of 2012. Presume he initially signed for 2007 only.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

F1000X wrote:Does anyone know what the longest contract a driver has signed with a team is? Off the top of my head I assume a 5 year deal.

Button signed a 5 year deal with Honda and co at the end of 2005...
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Wizzie wrote:

Served 4 of them I guess.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
mario

Post by mario »

shinji wrote:
Wizzie wrote:

Served 4 of them I guess.

According to the accounts filed at Companies House by Brawn GP (for the year running from 2008 to 2009), Honda appear to have terminated their existing contract with Button at the end of 2008, paying him £10 million as a "Contract Settlement Fee" (which would presumably be the wages which he would have otherwise received had Honda continued racing). http://adamcooperf1.com/2010/09/14/braw ... t-in-2009/
I believe that Button then signed a one year contract with Brawn GP, along with Rubens, although Button was the only one on a fixed salary (and that was simply because he got his contract in first) - Rubens was paid on a race by race basis, depending on the number of points he scored.

In fact, the accounts make for interesting reading - Brawn GP, according to that article, made a total profit of £98.5 million (presumably pre-tax), although most of that appears to be the cash that Honda gave Brawn to take over the team and keep it running, thereby ensuring that it would not have to pay for ending the contracts early (Honda gave them £92.5 million).
The company directors (Brawn, Fry, Kerr (finance director), Marsden (HR), McGrory (legal services) and Gordon Blair (role unspecified)) received £8.4 million in salaries - with the lions share (£4.7 million) going to just one director (thought to be Brawn, who was the most senior director). However, only Brawn remains on the board of directors now, as the rest of the directors resigned in December, following the deal with Mercedes (to be replaced with three directors from Mercedes, including Haug, and two from Aabar).
In addition to that salary, Brawn GP also paid a £20 million dividend to the shareholders at the end of the year to Aabar, Mercedes and the board of directors, with Aabar and Mercedes receiving 75.1% of that between them.

Looking at those figures, it does seem that the team was not as short of funding as perhaps the media portrayed them as being - they finished the year with around £78 million, which is fairly healthy (bear in mind that Brawn's profits are about the same as the entire revenue of HRT and Virgin Racing combined). There might be a few disgruntled former employees wondering if their redundancy package was a little meagre, given those figures...

P.S. So, 1000 posts now under my belt - unfortunately, I've got a bit too much free time on my hands, it seems... :?
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

In celebration of Mario's 1000th post, I feel obliged to post this song.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.