Ponderbox

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Ponderbox

Post by watka »

So I didn't realise that Max Verstappen was born in Belgium, to a Belgian mother, and grew up in Belgium, but races under a Dutch licence. One could argue the wait for the first Dutch winner goes on...
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

watka wrote:So I didn't realise that Max Verstappen was born in Belgium, to a Belgian mother, and grew up in Belgium, but races under a Dutch licence. One could argue the wait for the first Dutch winner goes on...

[insert Flemish nationalism]
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
girry

Post by girry »

Isn't Flanders just a hick version of the Netherlands anyway?

...that the Dutchies can not officially seize control of, because such an action would make Ferdinand Zvonimir very angry. Or so I have understood.
when you're dead people start listening
Dexter249

Post by Dexter249 »

Slightly off-F1 Pondering,
So with Toyota's LMP1 competition wiping themselves off the face of the earth, Does this mean that the curse will be broken?
Considering Toyota's luck they'll most likely run out of fuel about 1" from the finish, losing to some LMP2 team, or just outright crash, one of the two. But, if they do win, possibilities are endless....
FIAT Group, finding loopholes in the FIA rulebook since it's inception.
tanel

Post by tanel »

As we all now, former F1 driver Jyrki Järvilehto used pseudonym JJ Lehto in order to fit in with international crowd. So, what would other drivers' names look like when transformed in a similar way?

This is a list of many (but not all, probably) F1 drivers with names suitable for lehtomogrification:

GM Aron, TW Away, LL Bardi, FA Bashian, FB Bazza, PT Bay, CF Berg, KR Berg, NH Berg, NR Berg, RR Berger, JH Bert, GC Bianca, OG Bien, EB Billa, VB Billa, JH Bise, JL Bonnet, RD Bos, JPJ Bouille, BC Bourg, PW Bury, GM Cane, GA Cassis, PÉ Celin, MA Cella, HB Chard, GF Chella, RB Chello, AS Cliffe, JC Cotto, SB Dais, MB Dell, PA Dell, TN Dell, GM Delli, HB Der, CB Detti, JMB Deu, AG Dini, LB Dini, SV Doorne, RS Dori, PA Down, BB Durant, TB Dyk, BH Eier, NE Fano, NH Feld, DS Fini, LS Fiotti, BH Ford, JC Ford, RC Ford, JD Fries, DM Gan, KC Gan, ZB Gartner, HR Gatter, TB Ger, MT Gnant, AB Gnaut, SB Gudd, CM Guy, CG Hals, DB Ham, DC Ham, GB Ham, JB Ham, NT Hara, DC Hard, RF Hart, KT Hashi, TB Hausen, GW Head, PW Head, JD Hem, GB Hetti, JW Hock, MW Hock, BW House, MD Hue, RW Ink, KN Jima, SN Jima, TS Ken, BM Key, NK Keyan, GH King, PH Kins, JC Lain, HK Lainen, BH Land, DF Land, II Land, PE Land, JV Lanthen, LW Lard, GS Latti, JJ Lehto, PW Lein, RP Letti, KW Linger, UM Lioli, JCB Lion, BC Lomb, EC Lotti, LR Low, DR Mabb, MS Macher, RS Macher, RS Maker, BR Man, JN Man, ST Man, TR Man, BN Mann, CR Mann, HH Mann, IH Mann, JR Mann, LT Mazzo, HN Mayr, RS Melen, BG Melli, EC Meri, DH Milton, LH Milton, MG Min, AM Mini, MB Molen, OM Món, PB Mondo, DD More, GA More, SY Moto, PM Nado, KK Nagh, GG Nard, AG Nazzi, RP Nell, RB Nello, GV Neuve, JV Neuve, HK Nigg, RB Num, KM Nussen, GF Tek, OS Pacher, CF Paldi, EF Paldi, WF Paldi, IC Pelli, EN Petti, PHR Phanel, JD Ponte, GT Quini, GS Rabba, PC Rage, DS Rella, NV Rella, LV Resi, MA Reto, TH Rich, TG Ried, PB Rilla, HP Rolo, CS Rough, PT Ruffi, PF Sacher, RW Sell, DH Shire, GC Sley, PG Smith, BT Stad, BE Stone, BJ Stone, JA Suari, PG Zani, TF Zau, SS Zin, CR Zoni, GP Tano, JV Tappen, MV Tappen, JS Tees, TM Teiro, GB Telli, TS Tember, OV Terio, JF Terman, PG Thin, MH Thorn, GC Tine, JPB Toise, DC Ton, DT Ton, KW Ton, MC Ton, JP Torius, CB Tow, JDD Traz, BC Trell, JD Walt, DS Van, SM Vani, IS Wart, JS Wart, MT Well, PM Verdi, DW Wick, EI Vine, MK Witzky, JC Wood, MH Wood, RA Wood, UK Yama, KK Yashi, BvR Yen.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Not that it's particularly limited to motorsport. "And our on-field umpires are Steve Bucknor and Srinivasaraghavan Venkataraghavan... eh, we'll just call him Venkat."

There are a few Thai drivers in the lower formulae and in Japanese series that have that many syllables as well.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

And let's not forget a certain Birabongse Bhanudej Bhanubandh, who saved a lot of headaches from European race organisers (try fitting that name on entry lists of the era!) by just calling himself Prince Bira or B. Bira.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Quick question, was Michael Schumacher the only driver to be disqualified from a GP due to excessive wear on the plank? (at Spa 1994)

I have a feeling there was someone else, but can't remember.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

ibsey wrote:Quick question, was Michael Schumacher the only driver to be disqualified from a GP due to excessive wear on the plank? (at Spa 1994)

I have a feeling there was someone else, but can't remember.

I'm thinking David Coulthard at Interlagos in 2000. May be wrong.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

This is what Wiki says about Brazil 2000;

After the race, word came from the scrutineering bay that all of the top six cars except for Fisichella were disqualified because they had problems with their wooden floors. The teams appealed but while the FIA was scrutineering the cars again, they found out that the front wing endplates on Coulthard's car were 7mm lower than they should have been. Thus, the position of everyone except for Coulthard was reinstated and in doing so promoted Jenson Button to sixth earning the young Brit his first World Championship point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Braz ... #Post-race

IIRC the bumps along the pit straight in that race were horrendous and I recall during quali regularly seeing yellow / orangery dust coming out the back of some cars (BAR's spring to mind), which indicated bottoming. I think there were some marks over the bumps where the planks had scrapped the ground. Perhaps that was the reason why those six cars were reinstated?

good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Olivier Panis was DSQed after Portugal '94 for illegal skidblock wear (source: STATSF1).
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

good_Ralf wrote:Olivier Panis was DSQed after Portugal '94 for illegal skidblock wear (source: STATSF1).

I never knew that before so thanks. :)

What makes that especially interesting is it was the second time Panis felt foul of this rule in four races. In Hungary 1994 Panis’ Ligier had not only jumped the start, but also finished the race with a plank worn by more than 10%. According to Max Mosley; “(Panis) had been off the road and had gone over several kerbs. It was quite clear that it (Panis’ plank) had sustained accidental damage”. Therefore the Ligier driver was allowed to keep his 6th position in Hungary. However I could not find any evidence of Panis’ off track excursion during the race either in Autosport, Motorsport Magazine or F1 News, or on you tube.

Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

...is GP Rejects the only place on the internet where most of the userbase is capable of spelling the word 'canon'?
#FreeGonzo
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Simtek wrote:...is GP Rejects the only place on the internet where most of the userbase is capable of spelling the word 'canon'?

Possibly also some extreme Doctor Who fan communities?
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

Aislabie wrote:
Simtek wrote:...is GP Rejects the only place on the internet where most of the userbase is capable of spelling the word 'canon'?

Probably some Photography forums too, I would assume
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

This Could Be You wrote:
Aislabie wrote:

Probably some Photography forums too, I would assume

And on the Johann Pachelbel forum too...

...although I heard it was going under since the web host went baroque.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

This is a question that was very likely asked back in early 2009, but in a race which finishes early, cauing half points to be awarded, does a reject driver who finishes fourth become unrejectified, or do they count as having earned 1.5 points under the reject system as well?
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Rob Dylan wrote:This is a question that was very likely asked back in early 2009, but in a race which finishes early, causing half points to be awarded, does a reject driver who finishes fourth become unrejectified, or do they count as having earned 1.5 points under the reject system as well?

It's based on race positions rather than points scored, so that there can be consistency across the various points systems that have been in use since 1950.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Excellent, just checking :D
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

So I've been thinking about points systems a lot recently (well, not a lot, but compared to how much attention that sort of thing usually gets), so it's time for a good old fantasising F1 points system forum post. Maybe I'll even ruin Christmas by sparking a points system argument!

The system I've really been liking is 24-18-14-10-8-6-4-3-2-1. It's beautiful according to me for the following reasons (which overlap each other, but never mind):
  • Each position is worth about the same fraction of points as the one above it, so no one is playing a different game to anyone else based on where they are in the field, at least compared to the real system
  • It doesn't overreward frontrunners for failing to get on the podium, but not retiring is still important
  • It's similar the current system; 10 people still get points, and the ratios aren't that different
  • 1st, 3rd, and 3rd isn't worth more points than three 2nds; I've always found doing that kind of weird (equal is fine, although this system doesn't do that either)
  • The system "jumps", that is to say gives out more points for each position you gain, at 1st, 3rd, 6th, and 10th. Besides being successive triangular numbers, these all have cultural significance in F1 (though 10th is quite recent).
It's like 9-6-4-3-2-1 for reliable cars... well, in a way.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

I really like that points system by UgncreativeUsergname
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

I've always thought that the top 10 getting points was, for me, always a bit too much, especially nowadays with essentially half the field in contention for points, not including any retirements. Granted, reliability has come quite a way, but still, I think that there should be lesser point scorers regardless of reliability, make points feel like something of a greater achievement like in the past, ya know?

I was always a fan of the 2003-2009 system, 8 points scorers was perfect for me. Not too many, yet not too little. Just that I found that the margin for winning was criminally undervalued as compared to other podium finishes. I feel that was too much of a knee-jerk reaction to Schumi's ultra-amazing '02 season.

As a result, I've always thought that the best points system would be something like a 15-12-9-7-5-3-2-1. Gives the winner the added points bonus, and a greater incentive for drivers to go for top 6 positions. Additionally, its a much fairer comparison to history than the "25-18-15" points is, not being a great difference from the old "9-10 points for a win" thing.

I've also been in favour of extra points for added stuff, like a point for pole and fastest lap. However, as we've seen in Formula E, this can just lead to random drivers just sticking in the race for the pity point for fastest lap. They've remedied this by only giving the FLAP point to actual point scorers, which is a good system that I have to admit, works a treat. However, there should be one more condition: An extra point (maybe two) for most laps led. Admittedly, it might be useless in modern-day Formula One, but for those drivers that have been running up front for the majority of the race, only to be screwed over by a late-race cock-up or mechanical issues, it's a well deserved point for them.

Though, if we really were to go for 10 points scorers, UgncreativeUsergname's points look quite alright as well.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Just use this: 12-10-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1, giving one point for Pole Position, another one for fastest lap, and (this might be controversial) another one for being named Driver of The Day
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
UncreativeUsername37

8 scorers for me would be 12-9-7-5-4-3-2-1... so identical to the system I just said until 8th. I don't like points for anything that isn't race results; if you want to reward raw pace, the return of a "best x races" rule is the solution. It would've made Rosberg have to try in the last chapter of 2016, for example.

15-12-9-7-5-3-2-1 doesn't immediately strike me as horrible, just a bit weird, although I'd want second to be 11. 15-12-9 is the same as 10-8-6, you know, and that's what you wanted to fix.... And 12-10-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 gives too much for basically every position in F1 terms. It's like a bad version of the CART top 12.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:Just use this: 12-10-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1, giving one point for Pole Position, another one for fastest lap, and (this might be controversial) another one for being named Driver of The Day

I can imagine Max getting a title thanks to those. :pantano:
Manager of Calsonic Team Impul in Formula E, K-Apex in PES & Eurasian F3 and Mitsuoka in Alt-F1 '76.
My career mode thread - 1988: AGS (19pts, 9th) // 1989: Arrows (25pts, 8th, 1 win!)
You'll never DNF if you always DNPQ. #RollSafe
mario

Post by mario »

Regenmeister94 wrote:
AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:Just use this: 12-10-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1, giving one point for Pole Position, another one for fastest lap, and (this might be controversial) another one for being named Driver of The Day

If Kubica were to make a return, he'd probably be able to give him a run for his money in that respect.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:. I don't like points for anything that isn't race results;

Me too; it's a race to the finish. Finishers are all that count. No points for anything else! That's my view.
It's not a beauty pageant; no points for style, fastest laps, fastest sectors, colour coordination, pole position, Q1 times, Friday afternoon performance or anything like that.
I feel quite strongly about that..Does it come across?
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I think that the solution is to split the races up into three distinct sub-sections, and offer points at the end of each one.

For example, we know Monaco has 78 laps. So after 20 laps or so, a small smattering of points are offered to the top five, followed by a brief VSC period in which people can elect to pit or stay out with track position - it might vary depending on the circuit. After another 20 laps, you offer points to the new top five, and then offer points at the end of the full 78 laps.

We'll call it a Stage format...as you can tell this is a completely original idea and has been attempted by no other racing series.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Ataxia wrote:I think that the solution is to split the races up into three distinct sub-sections, and offer points at the end of each one.

For example, we know Monaco has 78 laps. So after 20 laps or so, a small smattering of points are offered to the top five, followed by a brief VSC period in which people can elect to pit or stay out with track position - it might vary depending on the circuit. After another 20 laps, you offer points to the new top five, and then offer points at the end of the full 78 laps.

We'll call it a Stage format...as you can tell this is a completely original idea and has been attempted by no other racing series.

This sounds like it will be a dreadful idea that will ruin the sport until it is actually implemented and winds up making it much better.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
UncreativeUsername37

Yes, more artificial arbitrary rules. This isn't some kind of contest, a sport you might say, to find the best driver and/or racing car design company in the world, it's a form of entertainment. And before you ask, yes, I have watched a single minute of stage racing....
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

mario wrote:
Regenmeister94 wrote:

If Kubica were to make a return, he'd probably be able to give him a run for his money in that respect.

Bruh...

#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Yes, more artificial arbitrary rules. This isn't some kind of contest, a sport you might say, to find the best driver and/or racing car design company in the world, it's a form of entertainment. And before you ask, yes, I have watched a single minute of stage racing....

:D :D :D
I was going to post my own points system but then I got a life.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Spectoremg wrote:I was going to post my own points system but then I got a life.

Because Life did not get anywhere near bothering a points system!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Spectoremg wrote:I was going to post my own points system but then I got a life.

Whereas those who insult others for having an interest in anything - now those guys are at the height of living...
Everything's great.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

dr-baker wrote:

Because Life did not get anywhere near bothering a points system!
:D
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

Ataxia wrote:I think that the solution is to split the races up into three distinct sub-sections, and offer points at the end of each one.

So a basically like a track cycling sprint race. They are a lot of fun.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Izzyeviel wrote:

So a basically like a track cycling sprint race. They are a lot of fun.

Especially if you're Martin Truex Jr.
Everything's great.
Aguvazk

Post by Aguvazk »

I'm in the mood to have a prediction about 2018, if you want to move this post, do it.

WCC

1. Mercedes
2. Ferrari
3. Red Bull
4. Renault
5. Force India
6. McLaren
7. Williams
8. Toro Rosso
9. Sauber
10. Hass

I expect good fight in various levels: Ferrari vs Mercedes, Force India vs Renault vs McLaren, Toro Rosso vs Sauber vs Hass.
I'm not a serious person
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Is Allan McNish, the only test driver to have worked in both the same team as Senna (Mclaren in 1990) and Schumacher (Benetton in 1993)?

I'll be honest I'm a bit too tired to check myself.

The Chicane

Post by The Chicane »

We might be losing the Sauber name soon... shame as we've already lost names like Brabham, Lotus, Tyrrell, Ligier, Arrows, Jordan and Minardi :(

Edit: Fixed :D
Last edited by The Chicane on 23 Dec 2018, 18:25, edited 1 time in total.
RENAULT CLASSIC (1977 - 2017)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11 : Drivers' titles
12 : Constructors' titles