BBC red button options

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
runningboots

BBC red button options

Post by runningboots »

I need my sleep, so I recorded the live race and watched it while eating my breakfast :P

I saw that the BBC had on-board and other red button options. Anyone use these, and how much scope for on-board choice was there ?

Apologies to all UK terrestrial viewers, at least you can feel good that your licence fee has helped those of us with digital have more choice ;)
FerrariStu

Re: BBC red button options

Post by FerrariStu »

As a UK terrestrial viewer (and licence fee payer) ;) , I would have to say that I thought the red button options were pretty limited to be honest. its not Picture in Picture stuff, its 2 pictures that aren't big enough stuff. Not really very useful. The leader board is info you would get on the main picture anyway and the highlights feature is sure to make you miss some live action while you watch it!!!

The extra coverage at the end of the GP however and race week-end features and re-runs are all excellent. :P
Bert

Post by Bert »

What does the Red Button give you? Is it something like a choice of pay-per-view or pay-per-download streams, or videos or something of the sort?
You break it, I fix it, or vice-versa.
Ide

Post by Ide »

Red Button gives us:
• "Classic" Grand Prix highlights from the past runnings of each race;
• A discussion "forum" after the race where the race is discussed;
• On-board shots (haven't seen the onboards personally);
• Highlights;
• Leader board;
• Alternative commentary (radio commentary instead of the tv commentary);
• Coverage of FP1, FP2 (FP3?) which aren't on regular TV

The stuff which isn't live loops after it's finished.
It's not a pay-per-view thing, you just have to have digital TV (cable/sat/freeview doesn't matter). They use it for News and other sports throughout the day.
If there's a car to crash in your neighbourhood,
Who you gonna call?
Yuji Ide!
Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

Lots of cool stuff under the red button, although the in car footage was pretty small and blurry, and I never found the leaderboard.

The highlights of past Australian GP's were nice. Good to see Mansell's exploding tyre again, and Schumi's championship winning shove on Damon. Puts Vettel's post race apology in perspective, he'll never be the new Schumacher with that sort of behaviour.

And all of the practice sessions, and lots of extra discussions.

Strangely, the commentary options included CBeebies which is the BBC toddlers channel.
"Other than the car behind and the driver who might get a bit startled with the sudden explosion in front, it really isn't a major safety issue from that point of view,"
Chilled Phill

Post by Chilled Phill »

[With reference to CBBC Commentary...]

Indeed, RP. :lol:

Although their commentary team are much better than one particular half of the ITV F1 commentary team... :roll: