Rantbox

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
CoopsII

Re: Rantbox

Post by CoopsII »

Ataxia wrote:On Autosport (and motorsport.com) today, you may have seen an article about former LMP2 racer Danny Watts coming out. Luckily, most responses have been quite tolerant and accepting, and it's a shame that someone's sexuality has to be a news story in this day and age. Unfortunately, a lot of the world isn't quite as accepting, and it's taken a lot of guts for Danny to do this.

It is brave, particularly as the world turns ever more alt-right and minorities of all descriptions face more persecution than they did even twenty years ago. The argument that all that matters is that a driver is quick is ludicrous. An openly gay driver would struggle to raise enough sponsorship to compete at the lower levels so you'd have to be in a Lance Stroll position to make it up the ladder otherwise. And whilst I doubt the same driver would have to worry about abuse from fellow competitors I can only imagine the hate and vitriol he or she would face online on forums like these or the other more famous platforms. Sheesh, you'd probably even see it in the grandstands.

And I don't see things improving for a while yet.
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Ataxia wrote:Someone said in chat earlier "well, him being gay shouldn't affect his driving", but something like this weighing you down? How do you keep a straight head when you don't know how to approach something which could potentially be so life-changing?

Was this deliberate or not?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dr-baker wrote:Was this deliberate or not?

See? Stuff like that.
Just For One Day...
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

dr-baker wrote:
Ataxia wrote:Someone said in chat earlier "well, him being gay shouldn't affect his driving", but something like this weighing you down? How do you keep a straight head when you don't know how to approach something which could potentially be so life-changing?

You should be able to glean that from the tone.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Ataxia wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

You should be able to glean that from the tone.

True.
CoopsII wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Was this deliberate or not?

See? Stuff like that.

I'm sorry.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Wasn't Hawthorne bi? I swear I read that somewhere, that it was like an open secret, like Aaron Rodgers today.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Wallio wrote:Wasn't Hawthorne bi? I swear I read that somewhere, that it was like an open secret, like Aaron Rodgers today.

I've read plenty of things about Mike Hawthorn, but this is very much news to me.

...although it does say "A gay, gallant sportsman" on his tombstone...

Yes, I know the meaning was different back then.
#FreeGonzo
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dr-baker wrote:I'm sorry.

Don't apologise, you illustrated my point perfectly. Ataxia made his post and then the second response was a titter-know-what-I-mean post along the lines of "You're talking about gay people but you used the word "straight". That's funny yeah?" And we wonder why people aren't more open about this stuff? I don't think there can be a sensible discussion about acceptance in society yet.
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:
dr-baker wrote:I'm sorry.

Don't apologise, you illustrated my point perfectly. Ataxia made his post and then the second response was a titter-know-what-I-mean post along the lines of "You're talking about gay people but you used the word "straight". That's funny yeah?" And we wonder why people aren't more open about this stuff? I don't think there can be a sensible discussion about acceptance in society yet.

The problem was not being able to use tone of voice or use of facial expression to illustrate that what you just said is the point I was trying to make. I'm glad that was I intended actually came across and my secondary response was wrong.
MCard LOLA
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Simtek wrote:
Wallio wrote:Wasn't Hawthorne bi? I swear I read that somewhere, that it was like an open secret, like Aaron Rodgers today.

I've read plenty of things about Mike Hawthorn, but this is very much news to me.

I could be mixed up, but I definitely remember reading not that long ago, about a big name driver from the '60s that was bi, and everyone knew it Surtees maybe? Oh well, its irrelevant.

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
mario

Post by mario »

CoopsII wrote:
Ataxia wrote:On Autosport (and motorsport.com) today, you may have seen an article about former LMP2 racer Danny Watts coming out. Luckily, most responses have been quite tolerant and accepting, and it's a shame that someone's sexuality has to be a news story in this day and age. Unfortunately, a lot of the world isn't quite as accepting, and it's taken a lot of guts for Danny to do this.

It is brave, particularly as the world turns ever more alt-right and minorities of all descriptions face more persecution than they did even twenty years ago. The argument that all that matters is that a driver is quick is ludicrous. An openly gay driver would struggle to raise enough sponsorship to compete at the lower levels so you'd have to be in a Lance Stroll position to make it up the ladder otherwise. And whilst I doubt the same driver would have to worry about abuse from fellow competitors I can only imagine the hate and vitriol he or she would face online on forums like these or the other more famous platforms. Sheesh, you'd probably even see it in the grandstands.

And I don't see things improving for a while yet.

I have to agree that there are a lot of figures who do play up the machismo of motorsport and that, in recent years, there seems to have been a trend for people wanting to appeal even more openly to that particular image of the sport. In that sort of environment, it is inevitable that there would be some who would publicly abuse or vilify him for his sexuality, and that in itself would be a difficult enough challenge for most to cope with.

Watts did indeed mention that he was worried that sponsors might drop him, which in turn would make it harder for him to raise the necessary funds to race at some teams - as he's said, even now he is concerned about how some figures in the motorsport world might react to him. The other irony is that, if he were self funding, he'd probably also be reviled as a "pay driver" to boot (indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if some used that as a cover to attack a driver in those circumstances).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

A lot of people on here know I am a Christian (it's clear from my signature that I am), and some may ask what my stance on the matter is. (If not, then you can just skip this post and be done with it. Thank you.)

Point 1. Jesus said that the two greatest commandments are to love God and to love your neighbour. Simple.

Point 2. Jesus also taught not to judge - in Shakespearean/King James English, "Judge not lest ye be judged." Criticise them? Then they can probably judge things that you haven't done perfectly as well. No one is perfect.

Point 3. Same as point 2, but with a different illustration. As a woman was about to be stoned for adultery, Jesus said, "Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone." They all left, without throwing a single stone. Jesus was supportive of the sinner, despite not being someone who would approve of adultery.

Basically, whether I agree with it or not, I reckon we all ought to be non-judgemental and support people through their tough and difficult times.

Hope you don't mind me posting this stuff. It's just stuff that I wouldn't mind being on record.
MCard LOLA
Waris

Post by Waris »

Wallio wrote:
Simtek wrote:

I could be mixed up, but I definitely remember reading not that long ago, about a big name driver from the '60s that was bi, and everyone knew it Surtees maybe? Oh well, its irrelevant.

I'm pretty sure it was an open secret that Mike Beuttler was either homosexual or bisexual, and was in a relationship with one of his backers (one out of Clarke-Mordaunt-Guthrie-Durlacher, dunno which one). He also, tragically, died of AIDS.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Waris wrote:I'm pretty sure it was an open secret that Mike Beuttler was either homosexual or bisexual, and was in a relationship with one of his backers (one out of Clarke-Mordaunt-Guthrie-Durlacher, dunno which one). He also, tragically, died of AIDS.

He was indeed a homosexual, and it is rumoured that he had a "close" relationship with Clarke, who was openly gay.

I'd really like to profile the guy one day...
#FreeGonzo
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Waris wrote:
I'm pretty sure it was an open secret that Mike Beuttler was either homosexual or bisexual, and was in a relationship with one of his backers (one out of Clarke-Mordaunt-Guthrie-Durlacher, dunno which one). He also, tragically, died of AIDS.

Ah, that's probably it.

CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I've been watching some motorsports stuff on YouTube and it's reminded me of something that's annoyed me for years but I thought I'd gotten over. Clearly I haven't.

I refer to racing drivers describing their 'drive' as their 'ride'.

Aarghmakeitstop!

Sorry to say it but the biggest offenders are often American and Canadian drivers but I've heard others too. I'll never forget the day Bourdais said it at Spa; it was the same day I threw the remote through the television.

I think it's because the word makes the endeavour sound so passive. Also, "I'm an F1 rider" "He was a legendary F1 rider" Doesn't sound right, does it?
Just For One Day...
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

CoopsII wrote:I've been watching some motorsports stuff on YouTube and it's reminded me of something that's annoyed me for years but I thought I'd gotten over. Clearly I haven't.

I refer to racing drivers describing their 'drive' as their 'ride'.

Aarghmakeitstop!

Sorry to say it but the biggest offenders are often American and Canadian drivers but I've heard others too. I'll never forget the day Bourdais said it at Spa; it was the same day I threw the remote through the television.

I think it's because the word makes the endeavour sound so passive. Also, "I'm an F1 rider" "He was a legendary F1 rider" Doesn't sound right, does it?

Switch to drag racing, we all call our cars our "heap". :D

CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Wallio wrote:Switch to drag racing, we all call our cars our "heap". :D

Really? I quite like that, it's endearing without being cheesy.
Just For One Day...
Chrisdude

Post by Chrisdude »

I know it's probably not fair to rant about drivers' personalities, but Jolyon Palmer really gets on my bloody nerves. It wouldn't be so bad if he was doing a half decent job, but every interview he comes across like his dad, and a sanctimonious little turd. That is all. He makes Paul di Resta look like your ideal best mate
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Chrisdude wrote:I know it's probably not fair to rant about drivers' personalities

You've obviously never seen most of the criticism about Hamilton then. :P

Chrisdude wrote:but Jolyon Palmer really gets on my bloody nerves. It wouldn't be so bad if he was doing a half decent job, but every interview he comes across like his dad, and a sanctimonious little turd. That is all. He makes Paul di Resta look like your ideal best mate

Same. He manages to be only slightly more charismatic than a glass of milk, but in return manages to come off as though he feels he earned that Renault drive this year completely on merit and not because Renault ran out of people they actually wanted, and then didn't want, and then just got stuck with Palmer.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Chrisdude

Post by Chrisdude »

Glad it isn't just me to notice it. Also, from a marketing point of view, he is about as desirable and dynamic as a dirty toothbrush
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

He's in a top team now and it's been multiple races, you think someone at Sky could get Bottas' name right?
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Agreed on Palmer. I would love to see him sacked and replaced by Andre Lotterer, Sebastien Buemi or Pierre Gasly for the rest of the year, ASAP
The Chicane

Post by The Chicane »

I think that I'm the only one who gets annoyed seeing a lot of the biggest manufactures snub F1 for Formula E or WEC, F1 needs more manufactures to back up the smaller teams like Sauber and Williams.
RENAULT CLASSIC (1977 - 2017)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11 : Drivers' titles
12 : Constructors' titles
mario

Post by mario »

Chrisdude wrote:Glad it isn't just me to notice it. Also, from a marketing point of view, he is about as desirable and dynamic as a dirty toothbrush

I don't know about that - it is true, as Chrisdude and Salamander note, that Palmer's personality is about as appealing as a turd in a chocolate box (I'd agree that di Resta comes across as positively endearing alongside him, and at least di Resta put in some notable performances over the years).

However, organisations like Sky do exhibit an Anglocentric bias and are probably giving Renault a disproportionate amount of coverage through their interviews with Palmer; from that point of view, I suspect that he does have at least some marketing value to the team.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

The Chicane wrote:I think that I'm the only one who gets annoyed seeing a lot of the biggest manufactures snub F1 for Formula E or WEC, F1 needs more manufactures to back up the smaller teams like Sauber and Williams.

I'm annoyed about the manufacturer influx in Formula E too, but more on the grounds that it's pushing out (and has pushed out, in the cases of Trulli and Aguri) independent teams, although on the other hand Formula E doesn't really have the same attractiveness as F1 would have had back in the late 80s/early 90s.
Manager of Calsonic Team Impul in Formula E, K-Apex in PES & Eurasian F3 and Mitsuoka in Alt-F1 '76.
My career mode thread - 1988: AGS (19pts, 9th) // 1989: Arrows (25pts, 8th, 1 win!)
You'll never DNF if you always DNPQ. #RollSafe
mario

Post by mario »

Regenmeister94 wrote:
The Chicane wrote:I think that I'm the only one who gets annoyed seeing a lot of the biggest manufactures snub F1 for Formula E or WEC, F1 needs more manufactures to back up the smaller teams like Sauber and Williams.

I'm annoyed about the manufacturer influx in Formula E too, but more on the grounds that it's pushing out (and has pushed out, in the cases of Trulli and Aguri) independent teams, although on the other hand Formula E doesn't really have the same attractiveness as F1 would have had back in the late 80s/early 90s.

With regards to the WEC, part of the attraction is the fact that, if we're blunt, the ACO does seem to rather easily yield to the whims of the automotive manufacturers. It did not escape attention that, last year, Ford did happen to bankroll a major exhibition for the ACO at Le Mans, perhaps explaining the unusual leniency that the ACO showed them last year (relaxing the homologation requirements and giving them two extra garage slots, let alone the highly questionable performance balance tweaks).

As for Formula E, although it is disappointing that the privateers are being driven out, at the same time it is not surprising - the series is rather openly pitching itself at automotive manufacturers, offering them just the sort of image for electric cars that they want to project.

Audi's entry coincides with a major push for electrification by the VW Group to distance itself from diesel cars after the "dieselgate" affair and increasingly tight emission regulations on diesel cars. Jaguar, meanwhile, are currently gearing up for the launch of an electric version of the F-Pace in 2018, so it is not surprising that they have suddenly made a move into Formula E as well.

Mercedes have acquired entry rights for the series, and even Marchionne has recently talked about Ferrari moving into Formula E as well - essentially, the rationale of the series really is for the self promotion of automotive manufacturers and very little about it is geared up for private entrants. Whilst it is disappointing to see them go, at the same time it is not surprising given that they really are being given very little attention compared to the automotive manufacturers.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

The problem for Formula E going down that path is what happens when the manufacturers aren't interested in playing any more. Suddenly the sport finds itself with none or very few teams to go racing, like the World Sportscar Championship in 1992/3, WRC until recently, F1 in 2009 and LMP1, frankly for at least the last decade when there's only been interest from a handful of teams at best. I understand why Formula E has made this decision, but I'm surprised they haven't tried to insure themselves against a sudden manufacturer drop-out.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Today I'd like to rant about the reaction to Alonso's Indy 500 deal from certain members of the F1 fraternity. I've seen a tweet from "Grand Prix Diary" comparing skipping Monaco to "dumping Scarlett Johansson for Katie Price", which was rightly called out by Conor Daly, Alex Rossi and Will Buxton. Then we had Jake Humphrey completely missing the point, which is even more hilarious when we consider the fact his employer has the TV contract for IndyCar.

Yesterday we had Paul di Resta blathering on during free practice that Alonso would "get dizzy" only turning left (Remember who your cousin is, Paul?) and Christian Horner going on about how Alonso is "insane". :badoer:

The F1 tribalism on show this week has been nothing short of odious. It's like none of them have even watched an IndyCar race, or just think "ovals are easy hurr durr dizzy lol"
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

I wonder if such commentators have ever considered that such toxic tribalism turns more people off F1 than anything else? That's certainly the case for me - the more I see stuff like that, the more I'm glad I don't watch Britain's F1 coverage. I can't think of any sports commentators who would take such a negative and petty outlook over the biggest news story to affect them of the year, simply because it doesn't align with their world view.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I agree with East Londoner and Salamander but I'd go one stage further from describing it as 'tribalism' to pure and simple snobbery. Nothing more and nothing less. The F1 circus gives itself more credit than it's entitled to these days and whilst F1 does have a great heritage the commentators mentioned in the above comments have done little to absolutely nothing to contribute to it (PLEASE nobody try to tell me that Horner was the architect of Vettels championships, "the man without whom..." Utter nonsense).

It does all go someway towards explaining the ethos behind much of the thinking within F1 though. It goes like this...

"We're F1 and F1 is the best. Therefore whatever we do is the best because we're F1. Therefore if you don't like it or you like something else then you're wrong because F1 is the best"
Just For One Day...
mario

Post by mario »

Salamander wrote:I wonder if such commentators have ever considered that such toxic tribalism turns more people off F1 than anything else? That's certainly the case for me - the more I see stuff like that, the more I'm glad I don't watch Britain's F1 coverage. I can't think of any sports commentators who would take such a negative and petty outlook over the biggest news story to affect them of the year, simply because it doesn't align with their world view.

It depends on which sector you look at, as some of the more mainstream media outlets have painted a more positive picture of Alonso's move.

It also has to be said that the response amongst the drivers has been mixed too - Magnussen has probably been the most supportive, saying that he thinks that it is a great initiative. Hamilton, Perez and Hulkenberg, meanwhile, have been broadly supportive - whilst they've all said that they wouldn't have missed a race, given that they were signed to race in F1 first and foremost, they do at least respect him for taking on a new challenge. However, Grosjean has been rather critical of Alonso, suggesting that he should only race there once he's retired from F1.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

My problem with this season is that I don't like either of the established title protagonists. There appear to be two drivers who will scoop up most of the wins this year, but the one I liked last year has been replaced by one I don't like. There are two constructors instead of one, though their apparent dominance over everyone else isn't inspiring much of a change to the problems we had from 2014 to the present (one could argue it's been this way since 2013). So unless Bottas gets his act together soon, or the Red Bulls start winning races, I can't say I'm too excited by the current season prospects, even if Bahrain was quite a good race.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

I get where you're coming from. I mean, it does suck a little that we haven't had a close title fight between at least three drivers/teams since 2012. While I have grown to like Vettel a lot more than I used to, I do agree that Seb and Lewi Lewi winning, I assume, at least 70-80% of the races between them this year will be fairly dull.
But even then, as long as it remains close between Vettel and Hamilton, and the Red Bulls and Bottas each win a race or two, personally, I'll be reasonably happy with the season overall. But as long as the midfield teams lack the budgets of Merc, Prancing Horse and Red Bull, and Renault and McLaren remain stuck in the midfield or worse, at best this will, sadly, be the state of championship battles for the next few years.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I guess I made the mistake of genuinely hoping that after their continued upturn in form during 2016, McLaren might actually start getting seriously competitive again. Instead they are exactly as they were two years ago. If the project had worked, it genuinely threatened to challenge the established frontrunners. The good news story of Williams' resurgence a few years back is slowly dying as they slip slowly back into the mid-field, whilst Renault have a very long way to go until they can hope of challenging for anything important.

Hopefully the established pecking order is not so established this season, but so far we have had four podium sitters after three races. There's always hope, I suppose.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

I'm really interested in Alonso doing the Indy 500 but disappointed with McLaren's choice of replacement. I know, Button is the obvious choice given his experience and would probably do better than anyone else but I still find this decision boring.

I would rather have seen Oliver Turvey driving. Nothing against Jenson, but I think his one-off return is pointless. He already had a great career, absolutely nothing will come out of an additional "goodbye race" where the car will inevitably break down after a few laps. If they had given Turvey or someone similar the chance, at least that would have been an experience for someone who will otherwise never get to race in F1.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Meatwad wrote:I'm really interested in Alonso doing the Indy 500 but disappointed with McLaren's choice of replacement. I know, Button is the obvious choice given his experience and would probably do better than anyone else but I still find this decision boring.

I would rather have seen Oliver Turvey driving. Nothing against Jenson, but I think his one-off return is pointless. He already had a great career, absolutely nothing will come out of an additional "goodbye race" where the car will inevitably break down after a few laps. If they had given Turvey or someone similar the chance, at least that would have been an experience for someone who will otherwise never get to race in F1.

He will however, pull one clear of Michael Schumacher to be the driver with the 2nd highest number of race entries in F1 history.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

watka wrote:He will however, pull one clear of Michael Schumacher to be the driver with the 2nd highest number of race entries in F1 history.

I hadn't noticed that at all! Too bad it will probably be his last race (unless Alonso leaves mid-season as some suspect). It was a bit disappointing to see both Barrichello and Schumacher just miss out on the 20-season mark. I can't see Alonso reaching that either, let alone Massa or Räikkönen...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Meatwad wrote:
watka wrote:He will however, pull one clear of Michael Schumacher to be the driver with the 2nd highest number of race entries in F1 history.

Too bad it will probably be his last race (unless Alonso leaves mid-season as some suspect).

I'm not so sure it'll be his last - they'll need a new driver in 2018 after Alonso buggers off to Renault... :vergne:
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

DemocalypseNow wrote:
Meatwad wrote:

Too bad it will probably be his last race (unless Alonso leaves mid-season as some suspect).

I'm not so sure it'll be his last - they'll need a new driver in 2018 after Alonso buggers off to Renault... :vergne:
Well technically De Vries has enoug license points, but it would probably not be the wisest thing to have 2 inexperienced drivers.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!