Rantbox

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Rantbox

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:I'm not reviving the thread itself because this, in my opinion, isn't worthy of it. I'm really pissed off with di Montezemolo and his reported quote regarding MSCs condition which was ""I have news and unfortunately it is not good,".

Shut the f*ck up. Shut. The. F*ck. Up. Just say nothing you stupid man. To me that comment is an absolute intrusion on the privacy of the guy and his family. What is the point of them trying hard to keep a lid on gossip if that stupid old git goes and says that?

I find it odd both the timing and the content (or lack of) of his comments. It absolutely came out of the blue and basically said nothing. Is he trying to be on the news on the back of Schumacher's injuries? If so it's despicable.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

The fact that it was literally a sentence, and the fact that entire two-page media spreads are being written out of one single sentence and nothing more, gives me the impression someone shoved a microphone in front of him and jumped an answer out of him. I highly doubt he cares about bringing attention on himself, and likely wants anything but attention to be back on Michael.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

The fact that there has been no official news for more than a year now suggests to me that of course there's no further good news. (Yet. I hope...) This quotation is not news.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I'm split between DPTs cynicism and Robs reasonable view but either way di Montezemolo has dealt with microphones being shoved in his face for decades so he should be able to navigate his way through any questioning without lighting the blue touchpaper like this.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:I'm split between DPTs cynicism and Robs reasonable view but either way di Montezemolo has dealt with microphones being shoved in his face for decades so he should be able to navigate his way through any questioning without lighting the blue touchpaper like this.

Was about to say something along those lines. Either way it was pretty poor from him and he should've known better.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

Is it possible he said "no good news" (as in, no change), which was mis-translated as "news that is not good"? Genuine question as I'm far from an expert on Italian. Or any other foreign language. Or English.
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

MorbidelliObese wrote:Is it possible he said "no good news" (as in, no change), which was mis-translated as "news that is not good"? Genuine question as I'm far from an expert on Italian. Or any other foreign language. Or English.

No, he actually told the press "I've constantly got news about him and, sadly, they aren't good."
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

CoopsII wrote:I'm not reviving the thread itself because this, in my opinion, isn't worthy of it. I'm really pissed off with di Montezemolo and his reported quote regarding MSCs condition which was ""I have news and unfortunately it is not good,".

Shut the f*ck up. Shut. The. F*ck. Up. Just say nothing you stupid man. To me that comment is an absolute intrusion on the privacy of the guy and his family. What is the point of them trying hard to keep a lid on gossip if that stupid old git goes and says that?
I agree. Firstly it's not his place to say anything at all and saying something like that without any detail is very poor.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/baku- ... 82055/?s=1

Speed doesn't matter if there's little-to-no overtaking areas, Hermie!
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

golic_2004 wrote:http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/baku-will-be-the-world-s-fastest-street-circuit-tilke-682055/?s=1

The image should help you determine overtaking places like front-stretch, 3 and 4th turn, turn 7, possibly turn 15 and 16
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

AxelP800 wrote:
golic_2004 wrote:http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/baku-will-be-the-world-s-fastest-street-circuit-tilke-682055/?s=1

The image should help you determine overtaking places like front-stretch, 3 and 4th turn, turn 7, possibly turn 15 and 16

I think the chicane will kill turn 7, but the others hold promise. And that would still leave 4 maybe 5 spots. About triple the normal Tilke drome.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Not really a rant, but is anyone else irked b that white and red stripe on the top of both Mclaren drivers this year? It's as if there is supposed to be a sponsor but they didn't bother to change it when one did not end up on that part of the helmet.

Alonso's helmet in particular seems like a generic knock-off without the Santander sponsorship.

Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

I subscribe to Motor Sport magazine and there is something about it that bugs me right now. Both the magazine's editors/writers and the majority of readers (in the letters section) seem to do nothing but complain about F1. Or rather that when discussing F1, they complain about it. I'll be the first to agree that there's a lot wrong with F1. And I agree with a lot of the things they said in their "F1 Manifesto" last year. However, I still think F1 is pretty good right now and has been for a while. I still think it is worth watching even on cable/pay TV, and I sort of resent people doing nothing but crapping on it.

Now I'm not going to cancel my subscription, because the magazine is just too good overall to miss out on it. It's interviews and history articles are fantastic (they even did an interview with Perry McCarthy!) I'm glad they cover F1 even though I don't like the tone of a lot of it. And it's fun to look at all of the race cars and exotics for sale in the classified section.

Maybe I should write the magazine a letter letting them know that there is at least one fan of modern F1 out there and perhaps ask that they publish a few more positive letters and articles about it.

That's it, rant over. Let me know what you think.
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

I really don't mind watching sports of Pay TV. They get less crapped on by delays, scheduling and all that jazz. Plus we got Pay TV for cricket and got several sports with it. Started to watch some baseball. It's pretty lit.
The Chicane

Post by The Chicane »

I'm practically annoyed with qualifying at this present time it seems like their isn't any point watching these days, It's easy to predict that a Mercedes driver will get pole, unless one of the Mercedes drivers have a fault or hiccup it seems really unlikely that another driver of another team will get pole, its not competition its just waiting for Mercedes to f**k up.
RENAULT CLASSIC (1977 - 2017)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11 : Drivers' titles
12 : Constructors' titles
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

ChequeredFlagNope wrote:I'm practically annoyed with qualifying at this present time it seems like their isn't any point watching these days, It's easy to predict that a Mercedes driver will get pole, unless one of the Mercedes drivers have a fault or hiccup it seems really unlikely that another driver of another team will get pole, its not competition its just waiting for Mercedes to f**k up.

But F1 has sadly always has phases of this happening. Vettel at Red Bull, Schumacher at Ferrari, Schumacher at Benetton, McLaren in 1988, etc.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
The Chicane

Post by The Chicane »

dr-baker wrote:
ChequeredFlagNope wrote:I'm practically annoyed with qualifying at this present time it seems like their isn't any point watching these days, It's easy to predict that a Mercedes driver will get pole, unless one of the Mercedes drivers have a fault or hiccup it seems really unlikely that another driver of another team will get pole, its not competition its just waiting for Mercedes to f**k up.

But F1 has sadly always has phases of this happening. Vettel at Red Bull, Schumacher at Ferrari, Schumacher at Benetton, McLaren in 1988, etc.

Yes we had those eras of dominance but at least we had the occasional pole winner from a McLaren, Ferrari or Williams, it just feels "too" dominated by Mercedes these days.
RENAULT CLASSIC (1977 - 2017)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11 : Drivers' titles
12 : Constructors' titles
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

ChequeredFlagNope wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Yes we had those eras of dominance but at least we had the occasional pole winner from a McLaren, Ferrari or Williams, it just feels "too" dominated by Mercedes these days.

The last time we had numerous different winners and pole sitters, people complained it was too boring and forced F1 to change rules. :dance:
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Because GP Rejects is ALL about who puts their car on the front row. :facepalm:
Seriously, this year has been one of the best year's of racing I've ever seen, and we still have people complaining!
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

AustralianStig wrote:

Seriously, this year has been one of the best year's of racing I've ever seen, and we still have people complaining!

People whine about everything in sport. It is what it is.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Aguaman wrote:
AustralianStig wrote:

People whine about everything.

Fixed.
#FreeGonzo
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Izzyeviel wrote:The last time we had numerous different winners and pole sitters, people complained it was too boring and forced F1 to change rules. :dance:

Not necessarily boring, but people were complaining that having so many drivers competing for wins was too random and ruining F1. Given I believe 2012 was the best season of F1 in my lifetime so far (narrowly beating 2003), I just cannot understand why people would be against competitiveness and intrigue unless they're biased fanboys.

I'm seeing the same thing being said about this season's Premier League, with loads of people moaning that "joke teams" like Leicester, Tottenham and West Ham competing for the title and the Champions League positions is making a mockery of the league. As if The Big 5 had a god-given right to win the league and play in Europe. To which I reply, "maybe these so-called big teams should have, you know, played better and won more games..." :dance:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

I've certainly never heard anyone complain about close racing/various race winners/open titles, not people who really like F1 anyway.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

AustralianStig wrote:

Or expressing an opinion as it's otherwise known.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

East Londoner wrote:
Izzyeviel wrote:The last time we had numerous different winners and pole sitters, people complained it was too boring and forced F1 to change rules. :dance:

Not necessarily boring, but people were complaining that having so many drivers competing for wins was too random and ruining F1. Given I believe 2012 was the best season of F1 in my lifetime so far (narrowly beating 2003), I just cannot understand why people would be against competitiveness and intrigue unless they're biased fanboys.

I'm seeing the same thing being said about this season's Premier League, with loads of people moaning that "joke teams" like Leicester, Tottenham and West Ham competing for the title and the Champions League positions is making a mockery of the league. As if The Big 5 had a god-given right to win the league and play in Europe. To which I reply, "maybe these so-called big teams should have, you know, played better and won more games..." :dance:

I haven't seen anyone complain about Leicester, Spurs and Hammers. I've seen complaints about Chelsea, United and Gunners.

We travel in way different circles.
sw3ishida

Post by sw3ishida »

Could be worse. Could be an Aston Villa fan and have nothing to complain about but the state of your own team.

...Maybe that's why I'm so delighted with F1 so far this season. Because I've already seen the sporting embodiment of "dreadful".
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

I am getting sick and bathplugging tired at Hamilton-fans crying foul. And conveniently shutting up when Hamilton gets away scot free. That turn 2 in Sochi shoulda netted him a penalty.

I am at a point where I don't care who wins as long as Hamilton loses. I am just sick and tired of his fans going "He's the bestest of all times!!!" when he wins and "THE TEAM/FIA/OTHER DRIVERS ARE CONSPIRING AGAINST POOR LEWIS!!!" when he loses.
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

DonTirri wrote:I am getting sick and bathplugging tired at Hamilton-fans crying foul. And conveniently shutting up when Hamilton gets away scot free. That turn 2 in Sochi shoulda netted him a penalty.

I am at a point where I don't care who wins as long as Hamilton loses. I am just sick and tired of his fans going "He's the bestest of all times!!!" when he wins and "THE TEAM/FIA/OTHER DRIVERS ARE CONSPIRING AGAINST POOR LEWIS!!!" when he loses.

Top tip: Ignore it! :D
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

AndreaModa wrote:
DonTirri wrote:I am getting sick and bathplugging tired at Hamilton-fans crying foul. And conveniently shutting up when Hamilton gets away scot free. That turn 2 in Sochi shoulda netted him a penalty.

It is everywhere at the moment, so it's quite hard to. When Sky are then putting these conspiracy theories to Toto Wolff live on air, you have to then question "would they be asking this if the roles were reversed?". Luckily, Toto was on hand to make Crofty look silly for reading out some of the more deranged tweets.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Yeah I guess that's fair enough, though I count myself fortunate that I don't have Sky and thus aren't paying a ludicrous amount for such utter rubbish.

I was thinking more on social media, if I'm following accounts churning crap like that out, then in my view they're not worth my audience!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
mario

Post by mario »

AndreaModa wrote:

I have to agree that quite a few drivers in the field generate their legions of shrieking fans - I've seen equally abusive, if not worse, comments from individuals who profess themselves to be fans of Kimi, Vettel, Alonso or any other high profile driver in the field.

If anything, this weekend has mainly been dominated more by individuals who have a grudge against Kvyat and seem to be outraged that he hit Vettel. I've seen many fans on other forums demanding that Kvyat should be immediately fired and replaced with Verstappen or that he should be banned for at least one race because of his actions in the Russian GP.

To be honest, though, he seems to have been persistently denigrated from the start, perhaps due to the fact that he was promoted over other more popular drivers from the junior series, leading to intense resentment as a result.

In particular, it seems that da Costa was the real focal point - I saw a lot of bitter fans complaining that Kvyat was "a mediocre pay driver", even though da Costa actually had more personal sponsorship at the time - and even though Kvyat beat Sainz Jr handily when the two raced each other in GP3, I still saw people complaining at the time that Sainz Jr should have been promoted over Kvyat. There did seem to be an uncomfortable fixation on Kvyat's nationality at the time too, perhaps in part because of already negative perceptions about Russia in much of the international press that have only become more negative over time.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

It is amazing how utter garbage the eurosport report on the Monaco Grand Prix is. Even I could do better...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

It's been a whole day and I'm still too pissed off about the UK leaving the EU to give a shite about much else.
Just For One Day...
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

CoopsII wrote:It's been a whole day and I'm still too pissed off about the UK leaving the EU to give a shite about much else.

Yup, I'm absolutely gutted to be leaving. It's painful, especially the way this has happened.

This weekend needed to be an F1 weekend, luckily the football offers some kind of escapism.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Ataxia wrote:
CoopsII wrote:It's been a whole day and I'm still too pissed off about the UK leaving the EU to give a shite about much else.

Yup, I'm absolutely gutted to be leaving. It's painful, especially the way this has happened.

This weekend needed to be an F1 weekend, luckily the football offers some kind of escapism.

I would've been ironic if the European GP was on this weekend. It's been educational, though. I don't agree the Referendum has divided the nation, it's clear the nation has been divided for some time. Now at least I've a better idea about how to judge people I've been surprised at just how xenophobic many of the people I know are.
Just For One Day...
mario

Post by mario »

Ataxia wrote:

You're not the only one wondering why the country has lost it's mind - sadly, as one of my friends noted, this is not going to be a sudden disaster, but rather a slow motion car crash that will take years to play out.

The only upside I've seen mentioned is that, by resigning and forcing the decision on when to leave to his successor, he might well have damaged the careers of Johnson and Gove, the very ones who now realise the downsides of what they have just won. They don't want to be the one to trigger it and take the consequences - you could tell that by the fact that so many of the Leave campaigners wanted Cameron to stay on and "handle the negotiations", by which they meant become the fall guy for the inevitable fallout, or seeking ways to hold "informal negotiations" that could be used to indefinitely spin out the departure process.

Now, if they run for the leadership of the party, they will be expected to have to commit to a set deadline for leaving and, most probably, become unelectable if it triggers a full blown economic recession, as is widely expected. If not, then they'll have to constantly prevaricate and delay the leaving process, running the constant risk of being backstabbed by the more right wing members of their party and being criticised by the very newspapers that worked for them in the first place, thereby continually eroding their control over the party.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I agree, Mario, Cameron has played his last card well. One of the more amusing set of memes going around social media on Thursday/Friday was about getting rid of Cameron and Osbourne. When challenged, the people sharing them admitted they had no idea of better replacements.

Equally, on my side of things, I have high hopes that Corbyn will be replaced. I like him a lot but he's the right man at the wrong time. Then we can enjoy PM Johnson and Chancellor Gove having a nightmare time in government and then a better led Labour party can perhaps win in 2020 and maybe some sort of social justice could return to the nation. Maybe.

Also, a big theme appears to have been about how we can make Great Britain 'Great' again and in the next few years I'm hoping these people will finally have the blinkers removed and realise it's not 1950, the Empire is long gone and we're just a very small and now quite isolated country that cannot sustain itself. In fact, the only thing we have going for us is the SAS - 12 men that are really quite hard.
Just For One Day...
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

I'm so sorry for my British compatriots on this one. It seems the wrong decision was made and a great many people are already regretting their decisions to vote "out". Next we'll have the US's big test of xenophobia in November. It seems that Trump should lose but you can't totally discount his chances considering all of the voter suppression laws that have been passed in this country over the last couple of years which are aimed at minorities (a natural constituency of the democrats who are the party of Obama and Hillary Clinton).

So all the best wishes to you guys on this, I really hope no jobs are lost as a result. And take care of yourselves.
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Yep, I've started running a daily sweepstake at work as to how much the FTSE 250 is going to drop. Turns out today I was slightly pessimistic as I said it would be down 7.50% and in actuality it was just under 7.00%.

I am lucky enough that the decision to leave the EU is unlikely to affect me much bar it being more expensive and inconvenient to travel to/buy stuff from abroad. However, I feel extremely bad for those who this will hit hardest; the poorer areas of the country, the young. They are always the first to suffer in a recession and also the people group who are the most lied to. The NHS seemingly will never get the funding it needs, the cost of studying can only go up and the job pool looks like it will shrink in due course.

Needless to say I feel even more sorry for immigrants living in the UK who now feel there is an intolerance, if not a hatred, against them. Whilst I like to be proud of the country's achievements I acknowledge that it is by God's grace (or pure chance from a non-faith perspective) that I was born here. That does not give me any more right to live here than anyone else, not least refugees who are literally running for their lives. That Farage targeted refugees in his anti-immigration campaigning above all is shocking. As a leading country in the world, the UK should put itself forward first to look after these people. Any sensible thought will lead you to concluding that immigration is not a bad thing. I can only hope that this referendum has helped to raise awareness of the racism that is already widespread in the UK and that greater measures can be brought about to fight it.

And by the way Scotland, I fully support you if you want independence now. The EU has far more to offer than the UK. I hope the UK does forge on to be successful on this lone path, but it will be a slow journey.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

watka wrote:That Farage targeted refugees in his anti-immigration campaigning above all is shocking.

Not that shocking. Without xenophobia and racism his party wouldn't have anywhere near the support it has.
Just For One Day...