Rantbox

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Rantbox

Post by Nuppiz »

CarlosFerreira wrote:When will Kazuki's son start driving for Williams?

In 2035? :lol:
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

He would probably end up being like The Godfather Part 3. Good, but really in comparison pathetic.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Phoenix wrote:
fjackdaw wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:You know what's irritating me now?

People who seem to think JB just coasted to the title when he clearly had an inferior car halfway through the season.

And you know what would also irritate me?

If Button had won every race and sealed the title at the earliest possible opportunity, people would be writing it off as a bad season.

I think people have been programmed to grumble about everything these days. There seems to be a in-built cynicism in people now that perhaps wasn't so dried-in a few years ago. Last year people grumbled that the world champion hadn't won the most races, this year they grumble even though he won the most races by far. It seems that many people are only happy if things follow their own personal pre-determined ideas exactly, eg, "The fastest driver must win driving the fastest car, but he has to win by narrowly taking the most victories on the last lap of the last race, so that there's no 'wasted' racing at the end of the season, and this driver must be the one who is the most gracious and fair and with the most personality without being cocky, otherwise the result is unworthy and disappointing".

What I think is that Jenson Button is not WDC-stuff; neither him, Barrichello, or Vettel (yet). They had the best machinery, and Raikkonen, Alonso and Hamilton had to struggle with mediocre cars until mid-season; I think they could have done more with what they had. Would it be boring? Perhaps, but at least we would have had a clearly dominant champion; Button simply seemed to have lost the north after mid-season (okay, the car was not as dominant as like it was at the beginning but still it was very competitive), and Barrichello and Vettel could have made more profit of Button misfortunes. I think it would be nicer to see more complete drivers fighting for the title; it was more a recognition to Brawn and Newey's talents than that of the drivers.
Conclusion: my idea of a worthy champion is that of a driver that can clearly extend over his car's abilities (or the lack of them), just like Alonso, Massa, Hamilton, or even Sutil at times.

Why would you want a clearly dominant world champion? That goes against the grain of an exciting season. With so many complaints this year about the actual quality of the races themselves, one of the things which kept the WDC alive and exciting was that Button was being gradually reeled in. If Button had kept up his winning streak from the start of the season, it'd all have been over months ago and everyone would have complained about how boring it is.

The thing is, people seem to mistake Formula 1 as being about finding the best driver. It's not, it's simply about finding the winning driver. A worthy champion is the one who scores the most points, and that's it. As I said before, everyone knows this at the start of the season, so no one should be complaining about it at the end.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Sorry for the genuine rant, btw. It just seems boringly inevitable these days that there'll be complaints about the eventual winner, even though we all start out knowing it's a points contest and nothing more.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

If Toyota drops Glock to keep Trulli, I'll laugh my head off.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

If Toyota drops Glock to keep Trulli, I'll cry.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

If Toyota dumped Glock to keep Trulli I'll recreate Hiroshima... and no I didn't break godwin's law :lol:
Last edited by TomWazzleshaw on 21 Oct 2009, 06:41, edited 1 time in total.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Non-F1-related rant:

I'm in the midst of the most difficult time of my college career. This term is turning into an unmitigated disaster. I can no longer justify spending any time doing frivolous things such as forum-trolling. I'll be back in a few weeks when I have some time. In the meantime, please don't die on me. I quite enjoy talking racing with you all because there aren't any people in my life that I can talk to about this.

Goodbye, cruel world.
thalion

Post by thalion »

I can commiserate with you. But, on a lighter note, the chair of my dissertation committee was shocked when he found out that the topic of my PhD thesis didn't have any apparent connection to F1!
Jordan192

Post by Jordan192 »

When Hamilton was too aggressive at the start at the Nurburging and got his tyre cut on Webber's front wing, it was Hamilton's fault, but when Barrichello was too aggressive defending his position and gets his tyre cut on Hamilton's front wing, it was still Hamilton's fault.
How does that work?
I coined the term "Lewisteria". The irony is that I actually quite like Lewis Hamilton.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Webber on Raikkonen was no worse that Cowboy-ashi on Nakajima.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Waris

Post by Waris »

He does have a brother, Daisuke Nakajima, that also seem to be quite "good" ("good" in quotation marks because it's relative, of course. ;) )
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Phoenix wrote:
fjackdaw wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:You know what's irritating me now?

People who seem to think JB just coasted to the title when he clearly had an inferior car halfway through the season.

And you know what would also irritate me?

If Button had won every race and sealed the title at the earliest possible opportunity, people would be writing it off as a bad season.

I think people have been programmed to grumble about everything these days. There seems to be a in-built cynicism in people now that perhaps wasn't so dried-in a few years ago. Last year people grumbled that the world champion hadn't won the most races, this year they grumble even though he won the most races by far. It seems that many people are only happy if things follow their own personal pre-determined ideas exactly, eg, "The fastest driver must win driving the fastest car, but he has to win by narrowly taking the most victories on the last lap of the last race, so that there's no 'wasted' racing at the end of the season, and this driver must be the one who is the most gracious and fair and with the most personality without being cocky, otherwise the result is unworthy and disappointing".

What I think is that Jenson Button is not WDC-stuff; neither him, Barrichello, or Vettel (yet). They had the best machinery, and Raikkonen, Alonso and Hamilton had to struggle with mediocre cars until mid-season; I think they could have done more with what they had. Would it be boring? Perhaps, but at least we would have had a clearly dominant champion; Button simply seemed to have lost the north after mid-season (okay, the car was not as dominant as like it was at the beginning but still it was very competitive), and Barrichello and Vettel could have made more profit of Button misfortunes. I think it would be nicer to see more complete drivers fighting for the title; it was more a recognition to Brawn and Newey's talents than that of the drivers.
Conclusion: my idea of a worthy champion is that of a driver that can clearly extend over his car's abilities (or the lack of them), just like Alonso, Massa, Hamilton, or even Sutil at times.

Why would you want a clearly dominant world champion? That goes against the grain of an exciting season. With so many complaints this year about the actual quality of the races themselves, one of the things which kept the WDC alive and exciting was that Button was being gradually reeled in. If Button had kept up his winning streak from the start of the season, it'd all have been over months ago and everyone would have complained about how boring it is.

The thing is, people seem to mistake Formula 1 as being about finding the best driver. It's not, it's simply about finding the winning driver. A worthy champion is the one who scores the most points, and that's it. As I said before, everyone knows this at the start of the season, so no one should be complaining about it at the end.[/quote]

No; my theory is that was more the merit of the car than the merit of Button itself. For example, the last year (which had an astonishingly tight championship finish), two worthy drivers (in my opinion) were chasing after the title, but not only because they had the best cars. They were able to show that they were faster than their cars with speed and some good drives (albeit a bit unconsistent, but that doesn't matter). Perhaps the term "dominant driver" was not the tightest to define what I wanted to say. Just read it as "my concept of a good title contender is someone that can extend himself over his car's abilities; Pierluigi Martini would be a clear example, for instance". I thought Button was a bit "gutless" by the end of the season, whereas other drivers such as Alonso did a fantastic job with crappy cars. Examples of worthy champions for me would be drivers that can not only be fast, but also have consistency in that matter (and have any kind of consistency to score results, of course).
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

thehemogoblin wrote:Non-F1-related rant:

I'm in the midst of the most difficult time of my college career. This term is turning into an unmitigated disaster. I can no longer justify spending any time doing frivolous things such as forum-trolling. I'll be back in a few weeks when I have some time. In the meantime, please don't die on me. I quite enjoy talking racing with you all because there aren't any people in my life that I can talk to about this.

Goodbye, cruel world.

While you're doing that, remember that I'll be dossing in Transition Year, relying on frivolous things such as forum-posting.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

*accidental double post*
Last edited by shinji on 21 Oct 2009, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Ze rulez:

CarlosFerreira wrote:4. The audience doesn't get to answer back, only cheer or boo. If you fancy a debate, may I suggest wearing a towel and go re-enacting ancient Greece somewhere else?
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

CarlosFerreira wrote:Ze rulez:

CarlosFerreira wrote:4. The audience doesn't get to answer back, only cheer or boo. If you fancy a debate, may I suggest wearing a towel and go re-enacting ancient Greece somewhere else?

Boo.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

kostas22 wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:Ze rulez:

Boo.

I've got plenty of towels, any care to join me?
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

The truth about Glock is he's been underperforming.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

watka wrote:
kostas22 wrote:

Boo.

I've got plenty of towels, any care to join me?[/quote]

For sure! I'm studying greek art now in my Art's History class and I also know a bit of Greek.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

watka wrote:I've got plenty of towels, any care to join me?

That's totally what she said.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Napoleon took over the FIA. Vatanen never looked like Wellington, and there's no Swedish band who will write a song about it.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Random thought: I'd like to see the Lotus cars painted black and gold.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Phoenix wrote:Random thought: I'd like to see the Lotus cars painted black and gold.

My random thought: Am I the only one who really liked the 1994 Lotus Castrol green, red and white livery? (I was easily persuaded - I was given a Lotus poster from a garage for free that year. Unfortunately, it got misplaced soon afterwards...).
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

dr-baker wrote:
Phoenix wrote:Random thought: I'd like to see the Lotus cars painted black and gold.

My random thought: Am I the only one who really liked the 1994 Lotus Castrol green, red and white livery? (I was easily persuaded - I was given a Lotus poster from a garage for free that year. Unfortunately, it got misplaced soon afterwards...).

Yes, you are. Because it was a mess.
What I'd like the most is a Lotus 49 replica :)
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

FIA Presidential election, meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
"Grosjean has a great desire to turn around and look at the corner he's just gone through, too many times per lap or per session, he's always spinning that Renault"
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

kostas22 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

It wasn't exactly terrible (if a bit busy) but that JPS colours are just iconical and very elegant. The green and gold was also great.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

I'm beginning to think we're going to lose Glock.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

CarlosFerreira wrote:I'm beginning to think we're going to lose Glock.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Anyhoo...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

kostas22 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Looks like I've been outvoted.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

If Schumacher thinks he's wonderful, he need to have a look at Rossi's stats.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Why does the respective team does not finish its negotiations with Barrichello fast. Almost don't care about where, I just want to be secure that Rubens WILL drive next year.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Sutil is average; he never quite had the measure of Fisichella...
Last edited by Kuwashima on 28 Oct 2009, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This post has been reported for F1 Rejects blasphemy. Thank goodness rejectdom is a permissive religion.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Massa will be beaten comprehensively by Alonso next year, he may well be jettisoned for 2011.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Has anyone seen Liuzzi lately?
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

CarlosFerreira wrote:Has anyone seen Liuzzi lately?

i ar luving lolcatz
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Somebody who isn't really included in the silly season but should be? Sebastien Buemi: Diamond in the rough, calling it now.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

I think they should sack Bernie and replace him with Vatanen instead.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

I fear we've seen the last of Timo Glock in F1.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

CarlosFerreira wrote:I fear we've seen the last of Timo Glock in F1.

I don't think so. He's an experienced driver so will surely at least be on the list of some of the new teams next year, even if Toyota don't keep him.