Unusual F1 Stats

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
dr-baker

Re: Unusual F1 Stats

Post by dr-baker »

I think this is interesting, that the 2016 and 2017 Indy 500s are the ZZ Top of motorsport. In the same way that the only member of ZZ Top without a beard has the surname Beard, the only female entrant of those Indy 500s has the surname Mann...
Last edited by dr-baker on 31 May 2017, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

dr-baker wrote:I think this is interesting, that the 2016 and 2017 Indy 500s are the ZZ Top of motorsport. In the same way that the only member of ZZ Top has the surname Beard, the only female entrant of those Indy 500s has the surname Mann...

I think you may have missed a word in there, as I don't think that Frank Beard was the only member of ZZ Top ;)
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

tommykl wrote:
dr-baker wrote:I think this is interesting, that the 2016 and 2017 Indy 500s are the ZZ Top of motorsport. In the same way that the only member of ZZ Top without a beard has the surname Beard, the only female entrant of those Indy 500s has the surname Mann...

I think you may have missed a word in there, as I don't think that Frank Beard was the only member of ZZ Top ;)

Thanks. Edited for clarification. How I feel: :facepalm:
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Reminds me also of British relay team back in the day. The guy on the left in this picture is named Roger Black.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

And, as pointed out in the comments section below that tweet, they both have one win each.
MCard LOLA
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Was this the first Grand Prix where every driver had previously scored points in their career?
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

FullMetalJack wrote:Was this the first Grand Prix where every driver had previously scored points in their career?

2014 USA and Brazil both had every driver be former pointscorers. Even Esteban...

I will admit, though, that any further examples would be a tough find.

EDIT: Make that almost the entire first half of 2009 as well, from Malaysia to Germany.
EDIT 2: 2008 from Silverstone onwards.
EDIT 3: 2005 France and Great Britain.

Ok, someone else can take over. :P
#FreeGonzo
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I was thinking "When was the last time there were no world champions on the podium? It must be a long time ago". Then I looked and discovered it was actually only recently at Malaysia 2016: Ricciardo-Verstappen-Rosberg. And before that it was Belgium 2014: Ricciardo-Rosberg-Bottas. Continuing to look back, I've found Malaysia 2010, with Vettel-Webber-Kubica.

Considering that Vettel and Rosberg have become world champions since those races, if you want to go back to a race where none of the podium sitters were champions, and none of them would go on to being champions, you have to look back to nine years ago at Canada 2008: Kubica-Heidfeld-Coulthard. That's ages ago.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

Not really an F1 stat, but it involves a former F1 driver.

Ralf Schumacher has raced at Fuji Speedway 6 times in his career (3 times in Formula Nippon, twice in JGTC, and the 2007 Japanese Grand Prix.

In these 6 races, he failed to finish in ALL of them.
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Following the death of Leo Kinnunen, Finland dropped from the countries which have all their Grand Prix participants alive.

These include:
Chile (Salazar)
Czech Republic (Enge)
Denmark (Belso, Nelleman, J.Magnussen, Kiesa, K.Magnussen)
Hungary (HWNSNBM)
India (Karthikeyan, Chandhok)
Indonesia (Haryanto)
Japan (Fushida, Hasemi, Takahara, Hoshino, Takahashi, S.Nakajima, A.Suzuki, Hattori, Katayama, T.Suzuki, Noda, Inoue, Nakano, Takagi, Sato, Ide, Yamamoto, K.Nakajima, Kobayashi)
Liechtenstein (von Opel)
Malaysia (Yoong)
Poland (Kubica)
Russia (Petrov, Kvyat)

Additional FP drivers from aforementioned countries:
Charouz (Czech Republic)
Motoyama (Japan)
Fauzy (Malaysia)
Sirotkin (Russia)

Countries with only FP drivers
China (Ma, Fong who is from Hong Kong which is part of China)
Israel (Nissany)

Countries with all participants living but some entrants not:
Colombia: Ricardo Londono was refused entry. Both drivers who participated (Guerrero, Montoya) are alive.
Portugal: Casimiro de Oliveira entered but did not arrive. Four participants (de Cabral, Chaves, Lamy, Monteiro) are alive.
Bobby Doorknobs

Hungary will be the first Brazilian-less Grand Prix since... Imola 1982.
#FreeGonzo
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Bleu wrote:Japan (Fushida, Hasemi, Takahara, Hoshino, Takahashi, S.Nakajima, A.Suzuki, Hattori, Katayama, T.Suzuki, Noda, Inoue, Nakano, Takagi, Sato, Ide, Yamamoto, K.Nakajima, Kobayashi)

Further proof that the people of Japan are actually immortal.

(But their engines are not)
Waris

Post by Waris »

Simtek wrote:Hungary will be the first Brazilian-less Grand Prix since... Imola 1982.

Is there any other nation that had such a long unbroken stint of at least one driver in F1? Italy and France come to mind?
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Waris wrote:
Simtek wrote:Hungary will be the first Brazilian-less Grand Prix since... Imola 1982.

Is there any other nation that had such a long unbroken stint of at least one driver in F1? Italy and France come to mind?

Britain I imagine has to be high on the list too.
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

dr-baker wrote:
Waris wrote:

Britain I imagine has to be high on the list too.

Going purely from memory, the UK has had a driver on every Grand Prix entry list since 1952, with no British drivers making the grid in Monaco in 1980 and none making the start in Indy 2005.

France have at least one from late 1967 to Panis' retirement at the end of 2004. Italy's longest run would start during 1973 and end with Trulli and Liuzzi disappearing after 2011, non-qualifications and non-starts (again, Indy) in the intervening period notwithstanding.

Other long-runners at the moment are Finland (since 1991), Germany (late 1991) and Spain (1999).
#FreeGonzo
girry

Post by girry »

Is there any other nation that had such a long unbroken stint of at least one driver in F1? Italy and France come to mind?[/quote]
Britain I imagine has to be high on the list too.[/quote]
Going purely from memory, the UK has had a driver on every Grand Prix entry list since 1952, with no British drivers making the grid in Monaco in 1980 and none making the start in Indy 2005.

France have at least one from late 1967 to Panis' retirement at the end of 2004. Italy's longest run would start during 1973 and end with Trulli and Liuzzi disappearing after 2011, non-qualifications and non-starts (again, Indy) in the intervening period notwithstanding.

Other long-runners at the moment are Finland (since 1991), Germany (late 1991) and Spain (1999).[/quote]

Finland isn't since 1991 but the oddball race in Hungary 1994 where Häkkinen was serving his race ban, Lehto was sidelined by Benetton and Salo didn't get his random F1 shot yet
when you're dead people start listening
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

I'm not sure about this one but this season is probably the one with most team mate collisions in recent history.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

With Sainz's move to Renault all but confirmed, this creates an interesting statistic: with the exception of Vitantonio Liuzzi, who took a one and a half year sabbatical before driving for Force India, the Spaniard is the first Toro Rosso driver to move directly to an F1 team that isn't Red Bull, with every other driver to take a seat there either moving to the main team or both starting and ending their F1 career at Toro Rosso (weirdly, Kvyat looks like he'll actually do both!).

It certainly highlights both the strictly linear nature of the Red Bull Junior platform, but arguably also how ruthless it is- those drivers don't get a second chance in Formula One if Helmut Marko dislikes them, even if they are arguably deserving of an F1 place, like Bourdais or Vergne (interesting that they're both French- this does not bode well for Gasly)
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

This Could Be You wrote:It certainly highlights both the strictly linear nature of the Red Bull Junior platform, but arguably also how ruthless it is- those drivers don't get a second chance in Formula One if Helmut Marko dislikes them, even if they are arguably deserving of an F1 place, like Bourdais or Vergne (interesting that they're both French- this does not bode well for Gasly)

I feel Jaime Alguersuari's dismissal was rather undeserved, he could've been a solid teammate opposite Vettel at Red Bull. Then again, maybe Marko and co. felt he lacked something special that Ricciardo had (few are able to do banzai moves like Dan can). Still, I can't help but feel that Jaime might still be racing (or would've gone on for a bit longer) had he not gotten the chop so prematurely.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

When was the last race that both Ferraris were out on the first lap?
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Rob Dylan wrote:When was the last race that both Ferraris were out on the first lap?

David Croft said there wasn't one, specifying this as true for exactly two starting.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

That's quite incredible - it's one of those firsts where you assume it's already happened at least once in the last 67 years :D

But yeah - assuming that Hamilton wins this title, which it looks likely that he will - this will go down as one of the all-time moments for the picture book of moments championships were lost.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

good_Ralf wrote:
This Could Be You wrote:It certainly highlights both the strictly linear nature of the Red Bull Junior platform, but arguably also how ruthless it is- those drivers don't get a second chance in Formula One if Helmut Marko dislikes them, even if they are arguably deserving of an F1 place, like Bourdais or Vergne (interesting that they're both French- this does not bode well for Gasly)

I feel Jaime Alguersuari's dismissal was rather undeserved, he could've been a solid teammate opposite Vettel at Red Bull. Then again, maybe Marko and co. felt he lacked something special that Ricciardo had (few are able to do banzai moves like Dan can). Still, I can't help but feel that Jaime might still be racing (or would've gone on for a bit longer) had he not gotten the chop so prematurely.

Alguersuari was contacted by Team Enstone for 2012 drive (I think to partner Kimi), but Marko was stating intention to keep him, but then he was dropped anyway. At that point Grosjean had got the seat at Enstone.

How I can recall the situation, it was mostly expected that STR would go into 2012 with Ricciardo and one of their 2011 drivers. Vergne getting the second seat was more surprising.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Had a look on collisions and drivers involved, data starting from 2011. The target was to find who has been most often in the collision where other driver was at fault. Massa and Hamilton had 9 such incidents, but with Massa being penalized just once he got the top spot here.

Not surprising to see Maldonado on the other end of the table, though it might shine out that he was the victim six times in addition to the crashes he caused.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Bleu wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:

Alguersuari was contacted by Team Enstone for 2012 drive (I think to partner Kimi), but Marko was stating intention to keep him, but then he was dropped anyway. At that point Grosjean had got the seat at Enstone.

How I can recall the situation, it was mostly expected that STR would go into 2012 with Ricciardo and one of their 2011 drivers. Vergne getting the second seat was more surprising.

I was gutted that Alguersuari left Formula 1 in the way that he did, but let's not forget he was offered a seat at HRT after his Toro Rosso drop, and he dismissed it with disdain. Had he taken a year in HRT, there is always a chance that something might have come up for him in 2013. Conjecture, I know, but a drive is a drive.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I get the feeling that Jaime was kinda...pushed into racing by his Mad Dad. He had talent, certainly, but I don't think he entirely had the desire to spend his life racing. Suffice it to say I don't think he'll ever pick up motorsport again.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Bobby Doorknobs

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:When was the last race that both Ferraris were out on the first lap?

David Croft said there wasn't one, specifying this as true for exactly two starting.

This is one of those asterisk scenarios. Both Ferraris collided at the first corner of the 1976 British GP, triggering the pile-up that would lead to the red flag. They would almost certainly have retired on the spot if no red flag was shown.

They also collided on the first lap in Spain the previous year, but Regazzoni continued after a very lengthy pit stop for repairs.
#FreeGonzo
UncreativeUsername37

I listed every driver who had, in the 2010s, been entered in:
*An F1 race
*At least 8 GP2 or FE races
*At least 8 IndyCar or 2011-14 FR3.5 races in a single season
and counted up the nationalities.

>9 drivers
1. United Kingdom (28)
2. Brazil (22)
3. France (18)
4. Germany (14)
=. Italy
=. United States

5-9 drivers
7. Spain (9)
=. Russia
9. Netherlands (8)
=. Switzerland
11. Colombia (7)
=. Japan
13. Canada (5)
=. New Zealand
=. Venezuela

<5 drivers
16. Finland (4)
=. Sweden
3 drivers: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, Portugal, Romania
2 drivers: Argentina, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, India
1 driver: Bulgaria, China, Cyprus, Norway, Philippines, Poland, South Africa, Thailand, UAE

Julián Leal was counted as Colombian, and Ed Jones was counted as Emirati.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
UncreativeUsername37

Gave each country points based on their drivers' championship positions from 2010 to 2016. The system is:

Code: Select all

1. 24
 2. 18
 3. 15
 4. 12
 5. 10
 6. 8
 7. 6
 8. 6
 9. 5
10. 5
11. 4
12. 4
13. 3
14. 3
15. 2
16. 2
17. 2
18. 1
19. 1
20. 1

1. Germany (279)
2. United Kingdom (176)
3. Spain (95)
4. Australia (93)
5. Finland (80)
6. Brazil (61)
7. France (33)
8. Mexico (30)
9. Russia (20)
10. Netherlands (14)
11. Japan (12)
12. Venezuela (9)
13. Poland (6)
14. Denmark (6)
15. Switzerland (4)
16. Italy (2)
17. Sweden (2)
18. Belgium (1)
=. United States (1)
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

With Gasly replacing Kvyat at Toro Rosso for now, the 2017 Malaysian GP will be the first since the 2013 Brazilian GP not to feature a Russian driver, and the first to feature three or more French drivers since the 2014 Japanese GP.
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

To be honest, Russia have done all right on the representation front this decade. They had Petrov for three straight seasons, and after a year gap they've had Kvyat for four straight seasons. Hell, if Markelov gets lucky there might be another token Russian next year.
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Everytime Kyvat loses his seat. Verstappen wins the next race.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

:D Also this is the first season since 2013 with at least 5 different winners. Which leaves just Kimi out of the top 6 yet to reach the top step.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Remember in Monaco when we were all slating Stroll and Vandoorne for not being up to it?

Well now look: Stroll (32) and Vandoorne (13) have more points in total than their teammates Massa (33) and Alonso (10).
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Aislabie wrote:Remember in Monaco when we were all slating Stroll and Vandoorne for not being up to it?

Well now look: Stroll (32) and Vandoorne (13) have more points in total than their teammates Massa (33) and Alonso (10).

Though outscoring Massa isnt much of an achievement and Alonso's lack of motivation also distorts the image a bit. Neverthless they've both proven to be at least decent and still have potential to grow.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Bobby Doorknobs

Let's have a little Brendon Hartley stats breakdown:

He's the first Kiwi in F1 since Mike Thackwell. We all know this. However, Thackwell tended to identify more as an Australian, having grown up in Perth, and he's mostly been living in the UK since his Formula Ford days. The last driver from New Zealand who also grew up there was the great Chris Amon, who last drove in 1976 and spent much of his retirement living in Taupo.

He's the oldest Toro Rosso driver since Sébastien Bourdais, although any one of us could have guessed that.

Speaking of Toro Rosso, they will go into Austin having replaced both of the drivers they ran at Suzuka. The last time this happened between races was when Manor began the 2016 season with Merhi and Stevens getting swapped out for Haryanto and Wehrlein. More interestingly, the last time this happened mid-season was at Jerez in 1994: Lotus' drivers from the previous race at Estoril were Philippe Adams and Johnny Herbert, who were replaced by Éric Bernard (whose place at Ligier was taken by Herbert) and Alex Zanardi (whose seat Adams had temporarily acquired).

Hartley is also one of this year's Le Mans winners after a phenomenal comeback drive that denied us an LMP2 overall win. Nico Huelkenberg is also a Le Mans winner. The last time we had two of those sharing an F1 grid was back in 2000 with Herbert and Wurz.

I'm sure there's more stuff.
#FreeGonzo
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

All three times it's happened:

Every time Kvyat gets fired, Verstappen wins.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Rob Dylan wrote:All three times it's happened:

Every time Kvyat gets fired, Verstappen wins.

That means either no more wins, or either Kvyat's gonna be fired a lot of times in his life. Poor Daniil.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Brendon Hartley has now raced under two different numbers within the same season, which made me think: who was the last driver to do that? And the one before, and... how many have there been, since the pay-driver-crazed days of the 1990s?

So these are the previous eight drivers to have done so - not counting those who have only driven in a practice session, otherwise we'd have another one this year in Antonio Giovinazzi (racing for Sauber with the temporary #36 and then testing for Haas with #50), and more than a handful before that.

Daniel Ricciardo, 2011: drove the #23 HRT in the Indian Grand Prix, whereas he'd had the #22 car for all his other races advertising YOUR LOGO HERE - so technically he changed twice in the season, but I'm only counting him once.

Sakon Yamamoto, 2010: also at HRT, drove the #21 car for one race instead of Bruno Senna, then took over Karun Chandhok's #20 car for most of the rest of the season.

Giancarlo Fisichella, 2009: moved from the #21 Force India to the #3 Ferrari (to no effect whatsoever).

Sebastian Vettel, 2007: drove one race in Robert Kubica's #10 BMW, then moved to the #19 Toro Rosso in place of Scott Speed, and annoyed Mark Webber for what would not be the last time.

Jarno Trulli and Ricardo Zonta, 2004: Trulli moved from the #7 Renault to the #16 Toyota, which had been Zonta's; though there were only two races left in the season, Olivier Panis soon decided he'd had enough and so Zonta was given his #17 Toyota for the last race.

Justin Wilson, 2003: moved from the #18 Minardi to the #15 Jaguar, and caused a lot of headaches for their cockpit designers.

Heinz-Harald Frentzen, 2002: the #20 Arrows was removed from underneath him when the team went bust, but he took the #8 Sauber for one race when Felipe Massa was benched in his earlier nutcase days.

And that brings us to the last example I could remember off the top of my head - the crazy driver merry-go-round of 2001, which saw four drivers change numbers: Luciano Burti (#19 Jaguar to #23 Prost), Heinz-Harald Frentzen (sacked from #11 Jordan, moved to #22 Prost), Jean Alesi (went the other way, #22 Prost to #12 Jordan), and Jarno Trulli (moved from the #12 Jordan to #11 for reasons which have never been specified, why Alesi didn't just take the #11 car is beyond me).

So that's a mere 12 in-season racing number changes in the 17 seasons of the 21st Century so far (and there were none in 2000, either). Aren't you all glad you know that now?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"