Another Tilke-drome! South Korea

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
razta

Another Tilke-drome! South Korea

Post by razta »

From F1-Live

Construction has begun on the site of the Korean International Circuit in South Korea's South Jeolla province as the endeavour gets under way to host the country's first Formula One race in October 2010.

At 5.6 kilometres in length, including a 1100-metre straight, the track promises to be the longest in Asia.

Situated over 350 kilometres southwest of Seoul, the venue's plans show enough space for 135,000 spectators, of which 120,000 will have access to grandstand seats. The Hermann Tilke-designed circuit, featuring a harbourside portion with grandstands facing the pitlane and the ocean, will be run counterclockwise.

The semi-permanent track is a joint venture between private and public organisations; the Korean Grand Prix has a seven-year contract running from 2010 to 2016 with a renewable option.

The venue's promoter, Korea Auto Valley Operation (KAVO), expects that the construction work should be completed by mid-summer next year, allowing for a four-month gap before the Korean Grand Prix debut.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, will this be a night race, or twilight?
thehemogoblin

Re: Another Tilke-drome! South Korea

Post by thehemogoblin »

Either way, it will be boring.
jonnyeol

Post by jonnyeol »

thehemogoblin wrote:Either way, it will be boring.

Maybe, but let's just hope they give him a hilly site to work with. Tilke's best tracks have been once where there's a bit of gradient to play with.
Zsolt Baumgartner. There - I Said It.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Oh no, why yet another Marina circuit? Aren't Valencia and Abu Dhabi enough of that stuff already?
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

As long as North Korea doesn't decide to launch satellites during the races.
noshpit

Post by noshpit »

maybe they should have the race in or near the DMZ . then it can be in both north and south korea. The land mines would be a very big disinsentive for running of the track. The transistion between north and south would be interesting as the cars would have to be 4wd or something to cope with north koreas dodgy race track that they would need to build
Nin13

Post by Nin13 »

Henrique wrote:As long as North Korea doesn't decide to launch satellites during the races.

Missiles and nukes, I think.............. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER FAN.
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

noshpit wrote:maybe they should have the race in or near the DMZ . then it can be in both north and south korea. The land mines would be a very big disinsentive for running of the track. The transistion between north and south would be interesting as the cars would have to be 4wd or something to cope with north koreas dodgy race track that they would need to build
Renault are currently searching for Nelsinho's replacement for the following grands prix. :P
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

noshpit wrote:maybe they should have the race in or near the DMZ .

I was going to suggest that, but I thought it was too silly. :(

I feel another topic coming on .......
"Other than the car behind and the driver who might get a bit startled with the sudden explosion in front, it really isn't a major safety issue from that point of view,"
Keirdre

Post by Keirdre »

I'm hoping to be living in South Korea by the time this happens, so I'm desperately praying that it won't be as dull as you all fear it might be!
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Fingers crossed that Tilke finally makes another good enough track besides Istanbul.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

For all the nay-sayers, you have to bear in mind that there are two things which restrict Tilke by dictating what he can and cannot do:

Firstly, he has to design a circuit to fit in with a plot of land that he been purchased. It's all well and good to come up with these fantastic designs, but if they don't fit the geography, they don't count for anything. Take Taupo in New Zealand for instance. On paper, the circuit is to be built on a fairly decent-sized tract of land, but in reality a large corridor of that is sandwiched between a road and a horse track. The boundaries are such that the only way the section of land can be used is to create a hairpin with a pair of straights leading up to and away from it. Tilke is given a section of land on which a new circuit is to be contructed, and he takes it from there. If you go over to F1 Fanatic - one of the best Formula One resources - there's a great video showing a condensed version of how Tilke goes about his work. He creates a three-dimensional view of the topography and uses it to plot potential circuit routes across it.

Secondly, the FIA have a pretty strict set of regulations that dictate circuit design. There are limits on the minimum and maximum allowable circuit length and width, on the amount and degree of banking a circuit can have, an outright ban on negative camber, regulations governing the maximum acceptable inclines and gradients, and rules that state drivers must be able to take the first corner at a certain minimum speed designed to reduce the likelihood of first-corner accidents (I believe this speed is relative to the length of the straight, which is why Spa can get away with La Source because it's so short and Fuji can get away with the first corner because the traight is so long the cas have sorted themselves out). Tilke GmbH obviously cannot contradict these rules, because they're designed for circuit safety.

So in reality, he does a pretty good job with what he's got to work with.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

This was a proposal from 2006. I'm not sure if this is the final design that's now being built, but I have to admit that it's not really my taste. The short loop in the top half of the picture is quite nice, but the full circuit, well ...
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Nin13

Post by Nin13 »

2010 South Korean F1 track shown in new pictures on official website-
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2009/04/06/2 ... l-website/
http://www.f1korea.go.kr/

Here’s how the race organisers describe the circuit:
The most notable characteristic of the Jeonnam Circuit is the fact that it has been designed as two inter-changable tracks; the F1 track (5.6km) and the permanent track (3.04km).

During ordinary occasions, such as domestic automobile races or motorcycle races, the northern part of the circuit (3.045km, in the shape of a hat) will be used. But during international motor-sport events, such as the F1 Grand Prix, an elongated track (heading towards Yeongam Lake) will also be utilized, extending the total length to 5.6km. In the past, several circuits within the country have made short-courses by temporarily blocking certain track areas.

But the Jeonnam Circuit is the first course to actually be designed as a dual-structure from the beginning. The Motegi Twin Ring Circuit of Japan has also attempted to combine an “oval course” with a different “general course”, but the Jeonnam Circuit is the first track in the world to have combined 2 different F1-standard-sized courses.

Another characteristic of the Jeonnam Circuit is its racing direction: counterclockwise. Only 2 of the 17 circuits listed on the 2007 F1 Calender (Turkey and Brazil), have been designed in this manner. The Jeonnam Circuit would be the only counterclockwise track located in Asia. Since most drivers are used to clockwise-direction tracks, the Jeonnam Circuit will serve as a unique, but challenging, experience for the world’s best racers.

The Jeonnam Circuit also has two separate sets of pits and paddocks (a facility used for storing and inspecting race cars) for the general track and the F1 track, respectively. This is an unprecedented feature in the world. By having 2 different pit facilities, the Jeonnam Circuit is able to offer sufficient space for other “support races”, which are also held during the F1 Grand Prix period. In addition, the 2 pits will allow larger parking room for the F1 race cars.

The Jeonnam Circuit has combined all the strong points of other famous tracks, such as Monaco and Indianapolis. The marina section, which is located in the southern part of the F1 track, offers breathtaking views of the nearby ocean. The Jeonnam Circuit will become the first permanent track in the history of F1, to have the ocean in the background. Within the marina section, a radial-shaped town (closely resembling Monte Carlo of the Monaco Grand Prix) will be constructed. This region will be developed into the greatest motor-sports cluster of the East."
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER FAN.
ImissJORDAN

Post by ImissJORDAN »

Frankly looks boring. I agree that gradient plays a major role in tilke's tracks. That's why Istanbul Park and Sepang are his two most promising tracks, and why Shanghai is almost a good track, but due to the lack of feature, the very good corners and other pros of the layout are tamed somewhat. Imagine turn 1 at Shanghai downhill! Or the final corner dropping away much more. Gradient is very important to a racetrack, equally as much as good corners. Great tracks have both, and this to me looks like another Valencia. :roll:
Hill - 1998 Belgian Grand Prix, Frentzen - 1999 French Grand Prix, 1999 Italian Grand Prix, Fisichella - 2003 Brazilian Grand Prix