Michael Schumacher skiing accident

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

Re: Michael Schumacher skiing accident

Post by Londoner »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/michael-schumacher-health-improves-the-formula-1-star-shows-signs-that-give-us-encouragement-says-his-manager-9235786.html

In other words, no change in his condition then. Someone needs to tell Sabine Kehm that repeating the same thing over and over again is quite irritating. :|
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Perhaps its designed to restrain other people from commentating.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

I just re-blogged Gary's post, & he does indeed sound pretty optimistic. Long way to go still..... but hopeful...
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Terrific news!

I fully understand he will never again be the man he was before December 29, which remains tragic. But this development probably means that there's some hope that he could recover to have a decent quality of life at some point in the future.

I hadn't feel this optimistic since mid-January. Let's keep rooting for Michael!
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

This is great news. I was starting to give up hope there for awhile, but then I keep reminding myself that you shouldn't bet against Michael.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Well, it's 5 months exactly since that fateful day in France, and there's been no news at all for about a month. No real updates from Sabine Kehm. Even Gary Hartstein's stopped blogging about Schumi and his condition.

I fear it's looking increasingly likely he's gonna be in a vegetative state for the rest of his life. :|
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

East Londoner wrote:Well, it's 5 months exactly since that fateful day in France, and there's been no news at all for about a month. No real updates from Sabine Kehm. Even Gary Hartstein's stopped blogging about Schumi and his condition.

I fear it's looking increasingly likely he's gonna be in a vegetative state for the rest of his life. :|

I think it's more the fact that his family doesn't want to deal with the media storm that regular news on his condition would bring on them. We can't be sure of anything until we actually get an update.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

I don't know what to make of it all at all really. No news may be bad news, but as they don't share anything good or bad I just don't know.

I hope he is having more moments of conciousness and is spending more time awake. I will keep hoping.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
Jonny83

Post by Jonny83 »

I admittedly know as much as anyone else not connected to him (i.e, nothing), but I remember a while ago didn't his manager say something along the lines of once the recovery phase started then it would become a private family matter and there would be no more updates? Although I suppose if that was the case you'd probably expect an update to that effect, "this will be the last one".
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Jonny83 wrote:I admittedly know as much as anyone else not connected to him (i.e, nothing), but I remember a while ago didn't his manager say something along the lines of once the recovery phase started then it would become a private family matter and there would be no more updates?

I think that's what I read too but that was months ago now. I'm sure if there was anything really good to tell they would have already. Poor Michael.
Just For One Day...
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

In F1 I was never a fan of the guy but this is a truly awful situation and I agree with the rest that if there was any good news, I suspect that we would have heard about it by now.

It's a sad, sad way to go, especially after all of those years in such a dangerous sport. We can all hope but I fear the writing is on the wall unfortunately.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
MrMG

Post by MrMG »

Jonny83 wrote:I admittedly know as much as anyone else not connected to him (i.e, nothing), but I remember a while ago didn't his manager say something along the lines of once the recovery phase started then it would become a private family matter and there would be no more updates? Although I suppose if that was the case you'd probably expect an update to that effect, "this will be the last one".

This is what I've been thinking. Schumacher was always very very private and for all we know he might be fully awake, even might be home. The F1 people that have been visiting him may just be respecting his wishes at this moment.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

MadGaz85 wrote:
Jonny83 wrote:I admittedly know as much as anyone else not connected to him (i.e, nothing), but I remember a while ago didn't his manager say something along the lines of once the recovery phase started then it would become a private family matter and there would be no more updates? Although I suppose if that was the case you'd probably expect an update to that effect, "this will be the last one".

This is what I've been thinking. Schumacher was always very very private and for all we know he might be fully awake, even might be home. The F1 people that have been visiting him may just be respecting his wishes at this moment.

I highly doubt that something as significant as being fully awake or returning home would go unreported, even through unofficial channels. Word spreads with stuff like that.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Well, in the unlikely event that anybody associated with Michael at this time (friends/family/healthcare professionals/etcetera) should read this, I hope that they take away the fact that we are still thinking about (and praying for, in some cases) him, despite the lack of news. Like AndreaModa, I was never a fan of his as a race driver, but as a fellow human being, I would never wish this situation on anybody or their families.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
snowdog140

Post by snowdog140 »

dr-baker wrote:Well, in the unlikely event that anybody associated with Michael at this time (friends/family/healthcare professionals/etcetera) should read this, I hope that they take away the fact that we are still thinking about (and praying for, in some cases) him, despite the lack of news. Like AndreaModa, I was never a fan of his as a race driver, but as a fellow human being, I would never wish this situation on anybody or their families.

Hear hear, while the lack of news could be taken as a good or bad sign, we all have to and do remain hopeful for good news to come along soon.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

East Londoner wrote:Well, it's 5 months exactly since that fateful day in France, and there's been no news at all for about a month. No real updates from Sabine Kehm. Even Gary Hartstein's stopped blogging about Schumi and his condition.

Gary has blogged today (1st June), but it's not optimistic reading.

http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/2014/0 ... months-on/
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

Jon Noble has just tweeted that Michael is out of his coma and has left hospital for rehabilitation. Great news!
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
IceG

Post by IceG »

Sky News, Reuters and the BBC also reporting that...
sw3ishida

Post by sw3ishida »

Absolutely fantastic news if it is the case. And exactly what everyone's been waiting to hear for a good few months now
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

This was reported by a UK "broadsheet" a couple of days ago, but their only source was a German celebrity type magazine. Some reports cite Michaels's management team or family, but I've yet to see anything to confirm this.
Lets hope the reports are correct & not just another rumour that's got out of hand.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Amazing news if it is the case.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Confirmed by Kehm, it's in The Guardian.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

:) :)

That's some fantastic news.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

shinji wrote:Confirmed by Kehm, it's in The Guardian.

Is there a link please?
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

eagleash wrote:

Is there a link please?

http://gu.com/p/3q62f
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

shinji wrote:
eagleash wrote:

Is there a link please?

http://gu.com/p/3q62f

Thanks both.
razta

Post by razta »

obias Grüner F1 @tgruener · 1h
According to Bild-Zeitung Schumacher is able to communicate with his environment and his family. Great news! @NicolaBILD
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Brilliant news - to be honest I was starting to expect he would never recover, but this is just great :)

I actually just finished reading Richard Hammond's book about his recovery from his own brain injury - it certainly gave me a new understanding into the difficulties Schuey and his family must be going through and will continue to go through.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

I'm cautiously pleased. It shows that things are gradually moving in the right direction. The "no longer in a coma" quote is typically vague though - I just hope the condition he is in is a reasonable one.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

The thing is, he was no longer in a coma a couple of months ago, when he had "moments of consciousness and awakening". The only news is that he's being discharged, but the extreme secretism with which the family has been managing the whole situation doesn't make me feel that optimistic. Why don't announce that he's able to communicate, -as impaired as that communication might be-, with his loved ones, if such is the case? Why don't say that they hope he will slowly recover? Why they just speak about "rehabilitation" and categorically affirm that there will never be more announcements?

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

This is (hopefully) good news and an indication that Michael can rehabilitate and have some sort of standard of life. I think the family and management did the right thing in stopping the updates and waiting to give us definitive news only; the privacy for Michael, the family and the doctors would have been much needed.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

watka wrote:This is (hopefully) good news and an indication that Michael can rehabilitate and have some sort of standard of life. I think the family and management did the right thing in stopping the updates and waiting to give us definitive news only; the privacy for Michael, the family and the doctors would have been much needed.

As much as I have disliked the strategy at times, Michael is not my relative and I know it's completely their prerogative what to do. If they think that is best then so be it.

One day I hope he will be well enough to give an interview about his rehabilitation. Right now I am not sure we will ever see him in the public eye again.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

LellaLombardi wrote:One day I hope he will be well enough to give an interview about his rehabilitation. Right now I am not sure we will ever see him in the public eye again.

And fair play to the family for that. Some may argue that giving the public more information may satisfy their curiosity but in practice I dont think it would pan out like that. It's Michael Schumacher, even non-F1 fans have heard of him,
Just For One Day...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

As much as I want to be happy and optimistic about the latest news, having read Gary Hartstein's latest blog article, I'm not so sure. It still seems pretty gloomy for Schumi.

http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/2014/06/16/good-news/
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

East Londoner wrote:As much as I want to be happy and optimistic about the latest news, having read Gary Hartstein's latest blog article, I'm not so sure. It still seems pretty gloomy for Schumi.

http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/2014/06/16/good-news/

For once I doubt him on this. He did a very pessimistic post a couple of weeks ago saying the outcomes were very bad for patients who have been in a coma for this long. Now he's saying that he left the coma when Kehm said he had moments of conciousness. I might be interpreting it wrong, but I think these posts would therefore contradict each other and he has been in a coma for three months and not nearly six.

If he's communicative, as many reports suggest, then there is much greater prospect of a recovery than if he was vegetative. To what degree we don't know - it is already a given that we will never have the old Schumi back. But I think I have said before - after a life changing injury, comparing life now to what you had before does not do you any favours. Instead we have to be positive about the fact that he lived, when he really should have died, and any quality of life he can get back is a cause for celebration. :)
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

LellaLombardi wrote:For once I doubt him on this. He did a very pessimistic post a couple of weeks ago saying the outcomes were very bad for patients who have been in a coma for this long. Now he's saying that he left the coma when Kehm said he had moments of conciousness. I might be interpreting it wrong, but I think these posts would therefore contradict each other and he has been in a coma for three months and not nearly six.

No, in that post he actually didn't say he was in a coma. It's interesting because I seemed to have the same recollection. But if you read it again you'll find he wrote about minimally conscious state and persistent vegetative state, which are different things to a coma. The confusion might come (at least I think it does in my case) from unconsciously linking "vegetative state" with coma: they are similar in that the subject doesn't interact at all with his surroundings, but in the vegetative state he is apparently awake, with the eyes open.

go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

This is fantastic news to read. May Michael's long road to recovery be successful.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

LellaLombardi wrote: But I think I have said before - after a life changing injury, comparing life now to what you had before does not do you any favours. Instead we have to be positive about the fact that he lived, when he really should have died, and any quality of life he can get back is a cause for celebration. :)

Nice words.
-*:-