Michael Schumacher skiing accident

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Jocke1

Re: Michael Schumacher skiing accident

Post by Jocke1 »

I was starting to lose hope for the man. But this is wonderful to hear. Never go back to Grenoble, Michael,
nothing but bad memories there.

This calls for an update in my book;
Michael's latest five victories

2006 Magny-Cours
2006 Hockenheim
2006 Monza
2006 Shanghai
2014 Grenoble

-*:-
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 44977.html

I do find it quite amusing how candid his new hospital is being. This is the clearest information we have had for months, from a solid source. I am sure Kehm will stamp all over it at the first opportunity though and we won't hear anything for a long time.

It's not a completely doom and gloom picture. Speech is often one of the last things to return after a brain injury. Having seen this report I am actually feeling more optimistic than I have for weeks. It's not great at the moment but the prospect of some rehabilitation is there.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Apparently, not everyone on the planet is understanding of the concept of privacy.

Disgusting behaviour by some twisted individuals there.

I hope that Schumacher is continuing to make progress in his recovery.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

pasta_maldonado wrote:Apparently, not everyone on the planet is understanding of the concept of privacy.

Oh God, how horrible. I can understand the family's dislike of the media when they behave like this. I hope whoever is responsible for this gets the full weight of the law against them. Also makes me wonder which hospital was responsible for the leak - Grenoble, now that he's left, or Lausanne, who may not be up to speed on their security yet.
MrMG

Post by MrMG »

Someone should just lodge a boot up their arses and release THEIR medical reports.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Oh, it's not so bad. I'll release mine:

Ataxia's 100% Legit Medical Report wrote:Name: Ataxia Royal-Philharmonic-Orchestra-McCafferty-Lafferty-O'Deherimee
Address: 27 Pleasant Name Avenue, Middle-Of-Nowhere, Next To The Coffee Stain, Greater Smallsbury Which Makes It Averagesizesbury, SH1 7ME

Medical History:

Height: Able to get on rides at Alton Towers
Weight: Able to get on rides at Alton Towers and not break them
Wage: Not able to afford Alton Towers

Known Allergies: Hard work, Mrs Brown's Boys, Bono, Bono's Voice, skimmed milk, cricket, Strongbow
Previous Illnesses: 53 colds, a number of hangovers, 14 flus, 1097 vigorous allergic reactions to U2, post-natal depression
Previous Medication: strawberry-flavour antibiotics (request for seconds denied), mass disposal of The Joshua Tree into a volcano, tubs of Ben & Jerry's, beer

Current Illnesses: sick (of the UK)
Current Medication: the World Cup, BN biscuits

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

pasta_maldonado wrote:Apparently, not everyone on the planet is understanding of the concept of privacy.

This is sickening. I was already coughing enough, but this is more downright disgusting than any mucus a person can cough up. What a farcical, disgusting, and very sad beginning to my day. May Michael continue to progress on and charge through his recovery like he would a race from the back.

I now want to vomit, I meant vent, my frustration out towards the media. Please, be sensible, dammit!
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Well, people paid for photographs of Princess Diana dying on the streets of Paris so I guess anythings possible. Whether or not this information will be made public or not is another thing, I think it might prove too toxic for most reputable publications.
Just For One Day...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Ataxia wrote:Previous Illnesses: 1097 vigorous allergic reactions to U2
Previous Medication: mass disposal of The Joshua Tree into a volcano

Run Ataxia, run. I will find you even if the streets have no name. I'll find what I'm looking for.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Biscione wrote:

Run Ataxia, run. I will find you even if the streets have no name. I'll find what I'm looking for.

Run Ataxia, but not for the hills; you may suffer vertigo.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:
Biscione wrote:

Run Ataxia, but not for the hills; you may suffer vertigo.

He'd better run. This is War. And it's all because of you. Time is counting down, tick tock. Come eleven o'clock, you will burn, and the fire will be unforgettable. I wait patiently for Sunday, it will be a bloody end.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
mario

Post by mario »

LellaLombardi wrote:

Oh God, how horrible. I can understand the family's dislike of the media when they behave like this. I hope whoever is responsible for this gets the full weight of the law against them. Also makes me wonder which hospital was responsible for the leak - Grenoble, now that he's left, or Lausanne, who may not be up to speed on their security yet.

Either way, it is a gross violation of the principle of patient confidentiality and the principles of the medical profession to sell his medical records (and, out of the two, I suspect that it is possibly the latter organisation that would potentially have been more vulnerable to a case of theft given that he has only just arrived there). The individual behind this is certainly likely to face severe sanctions if they are caught, which you hope will be enough to deter them from selling the records.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

I read in the newspaper yesterday that Tuesday this week they arrested the man who stole Schumacher's hospital records and attempted to sell them to the highest bidder. They had tracked him down by tracing the IP adress from which he had sent e-mails trying to sell the documents.
The newspaper mentioned he was one of the "higher-ups" of Air Rescue Zurich, and that he was part of the very rescue of MS himself.

Thing is, this nutter apparently hung himself in his holding cell 48 hours ago and was found dead by one of the guards.
Police say no foul play.

:?
-*:-
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Yeah, I read about this earlier, just wasn't sure whether to comment or not. Whether this guy was troubled before he committed the theft or not I don't know but I think this is a shame. A life lost due to stupidy and greed and although other's may have a more vitriolic response this was still someone's son and possibly husband and father.
Just For One Day...
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

I wouldn't wish this outcome on anyone but I do wonder what was going through his mind when he thought that selling them might be a good idea. He must have considered that they would be difficult to sell (even the least scrupulous press would be aware that publishing stolen records would cause a backlash that wouldn't be worthwhile), then it would be traced back to him which would destroy his company. Quite aside from the moral issues, I can't think why he thought this was a good idea.

On a more positive note, it seems that things are slowly continuing in the right direction and he may be using an electric wheelchair soon. I also notice that Kehm seems to be doing less and less, and more of the updates are coming direct from Corinna Schumacher - make of that what you will.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

LellaLombardi wrote:On a more positive note, it seems that things are slowly continuing in the right direction and he may be using an electric wheelchair soon. I also notice that Kehm seems to be doing less and less, and more of the updates are coming direct from Corinna Schumacher - make of that what you will.

I haven't seen these updates. Certainly Autosport haven't been reporting on updates and I can't currently see anything on the BBC. But if this is the case, that Michael is able to mobilise with an electric wheelchair, then that is better than anything I was anticipating from around Easter onwards. Let's hope he can then progress onto manual chairs and upwards...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

There are reports on Twitter from Alan Baldwin (Reuters) & re-tweeted by Maurice Hamilton that Michael is now able to go home where his rehabilitation will continue. Original tweet quotes Sabine Kehm as saying still a very long way to go.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I thought Michael was already back home, but perhaps they were just referring to moving to a hospital closer to home. #KeepFightingMichael
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

watka wrote:I thought Michael was already back home, but perhaps they were just referring to moving to a hospital closer to home. #KeepFightingMichael

I thought they just moved him out of IC & into rehab.....could be wrong about that though. :P

Gary Hartstein back in June
http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/2014/06/16/good-news/

Edit: BBC reporting it now

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-29130742
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
mario

Post by mario »

eagleash wrote:
watka wrote:I thought Michael was already back home, but perhaps they were just referring to moving to a hospital closer to home. #KeepFightingMichael

I thought they just moved him out of IC & into rehab.....could be wrong about that though. :P

My understanding was similar - that he had been moved out of the intensive care unit as it was judged that his medical situation was sufficiently stable and safe that they could reduce the level of intrusive medical attention required.

As others have said, it's still very much the case that there is likely to be a long and arduous recovery ahead of him, but any signs of a gradual normalisation of life are very welcome indeed.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
andrew

Post by andrew »

mario wrote:
eagleash wrote:

My understanding was similar - that he had been moved out of the intensive care unit as it was judged that his medical situation was sufficiently stable and safe that they could reduce the level of intrusive medical attention required.

As others have said, it's still very much the case that there is likely to be a long and arduous recovery ahead of him, but any signs of a gradual normalisation of life are very welcome indeed.

This has confused me too as I thaught he was already home, still this is great news for one of if not the greatest f1 driver ever
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

This story just popped up in my news feed, from the Daily Mirror :

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1/f1-hero-michael-schumacher-can-4395046?ICID=FB_mirror_main

Stricken F1 hero Michael Schumacher can expect to lead “a relatively normal life” within a short period of time according to former Ferrari boss Jean Todt.

The news comes as a welcome boost for the sport as it reels from the blow of Jules Bianchi's serious head injury , which he sustained at the Japanese Grand Prix last Sunday.

Todt made his comments on Schumacher after he visited the German star at his Swiss mansion where he is being cared for in a purpose-built medical suite.

“We must assume that Schumacher can lead a relatively normal life again within a short period of time," said Todt.
“We can say he can probably never drive a Formula 1 car again. But he is fighting.
"His condition improved, and what is just as important is the fact that he is now at home with his family."

Several other sources seem to have the same story.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

madmark1974 wrote:This story just popped up in my news feed, from the Daily Mirror :

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1/f1-hero-michael-schumacher-can-4395046?ICID=FB_mirror_main

Stricken F1 hero Michael Schumacher can expect to lead “a relatively normal life” within a short period of time according to former Ferrari boss Jean Todt.

The news comes as a welcome boost for the sport as it reels from the blow of Jules Bianchi's serious head injury , which he sustained at the Japanese Grand Prix last Sunday.

Todt made his comments on Schumacher after he visited the German star at his Swiss mansion where he is being cared for in a purpose-built medical suite.

“We must assume that Schumacher can lead a relatively normal life again within a short period of time," said Todt.
“We can say he can probably never drive a Formula 1 car again. But he is fighting.
"His condition improved, and what is just as important is the fact that he is now at home with his family."

Very encouraging news and a beacon of light in this dark time for the sport.
#FreeGonzo
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Simtek wrote:
madmark1974 wrote:This story just popped up in my news feed, from the Daily Mirror :

Very encouraging news and a beacon of light in this dark time for the sport.

Yes, it's just the timing is worrying me a little, what with the Bianchi situation.

Hopefully this is a story that has been waiting to break for a while and they've only just decided to release it now, rather than some kind of 'false hope' to deflect from Bianchi.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

madmark1974 wrote:Yes, it's just the timing is worrying me a little, what with the Bianchi situation.

Hopefully this is a story that has been waiting to break for a while and they've only just decided to release it now, rather than some kind of 'false hope' to deflect from Bianchi.

Interesting point. Todt did say on Saturday that Schumacher had made progress in the past few months. I didn't make much of the comment at the time because it was pretty much the same as what Sabine Kehm had been saying before, but now he's come out with this, which I now wonder if that's what he'd be saying even if Bianchi hadn't crashed. I think it's best to be optimistic right now though :)
#FreeGonzo
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

some needed good news anyway...
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

I saw this too, and unless he's been mistranslated then I'd say it's accurate. Todt is very much part of the family's inner circle.

This is more than I had dared hope for actually. The most recent indicators were that he was still only minimally conscious, and I had basically accepted that we would probably never see him in public again.

Maybe we will get "the interview" one day where he talks about how he fought back.
Zetec

Post by Zetec »

Tomorrow, the website of Michael Schumacher is gonna be online again with new content.

http://www.michael-schumacher.de/

And don't you forget, that tomorrow, 20 years ago, MS won his first championship.

WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Zetec wrote:Tomorrow, the website of Michael Schumacher is gonna be online again with new content.

http://www.michael-schumacher.de/

And don't you forget, that tomorrow, 20 years ago, MS stole his first championship.

Fixed
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

And as much as he's in a precarious condition now, I think it's fair to remember what he did on track for what it was, both the good and the bad.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Ferrim wrote:And as much as he's in a precarious condition now, I think it's fair to remember what he did on track for what it was, both the good and the bad.

I don't disagree but lazy, lame and obvious "jokes" like WeirdKerrs I can live without.
Just For One Day...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2014-11-19/schumacher-better-but-remains-paralysed/
Paralysed, unable to speak but "better". Bitter sweet news.
Just For One Day...
Conventi

Post by Conventi »

CoopsII wrote:http://www.itv.com/news/update/2014-11-19/schumacher-better-but-remains-paralysed/
Paralysed, unable to speak but "better". Bitter sweet news.

I doubt this is really legit. Philippe Streiff really belongs to Schumi´s inner circle ?
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

Streiff got into a bit of trouble with Kehm not long after the accident for saying that Schumi was out of danger. This was at the time when the family were being very militant about what news came out. I would be inclined to say that he isn't making things up though, unless he's a very unpleasant individual.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Admittedly, he's been quoted because he's probably the only available quadriplegic ex-driver around but, unless he has been misquoted, I see no reason to believe he's invented this.
Just For One Day...
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

I'm sorry, but paralysed?!
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

CoopsII wrote:Admittedly, he's been quoted because he's probably the only available quadriplegic ex-driver around but, unless he has been misquoted, I see no reason to believe he's invented this.

I think I'm going to have to take the above comment back. In fact, I'm beginning to think Streiff has gone a bit mental.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30623832
Just For One Day...
Conventi

Post by Conventi »

CoopsII wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Admittedly, he's been quoted because he's probably the only available quadriplegic ex-driver around but, unless he has been misquoted, I see no reason to believe he's invented this.

I think I'm going to have to take the above comment back. In fact, I'm beginning to think Streiff has gone a bit mental.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30623832

It seems so. Even close friends as Niki Lauda or Norbert Haug are not allowed to visit Schumacher, so how Streiff came up with this ?
f1andrea

Post by f1andrea »

#KeepFightingMichael
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

Can't believe it's a year since I was desperately looking for updates and dreading going to bed in case he passed away in the night. Keep fighting Michael.

I am also starting to wonder if Streiff is being a bit of a troll. I can't see him being allowed to continue visiting - if he ever did - if he's going to leak information. Both kehm and his doctor sound a bit annoyed.