Get Ready for... The EricssonEra!

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
AustralianStig

Re: Get Ready for... The EricssonEra!

Post by AustralianStig »

AndreaModa wrote:Ericsson is 28 days older than me...

And 18 days older than me!
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:I already said you had post of the year clinched, can't you take a Cammish holiday and give someone else a chance for post of the week?!

No, because he's Vettel, who won 18 of 20 races in Formula BMW 10 years ago..
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

After Caterham signed Kobayashi, I didn't know if I was with them or Marussia more since they had one driver to cheer for each. Now I know.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:can't you take a Cammish holiday

eytl wrote:He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.

I just felt this subject desperately needed to be brought out into the open for debate. This means something. This is important.

The meaning of life. Social ties, consciousness, happiness, value, purpose, ethics, good and evil, free will, the possible or definite existence of God, the soul, and the afterlife. But what if one thing has been neglected? Or forgotten about?
Creation seems to come out of imperfection. It seems to come out of a striving and a frustration. I do not know if Chilton's and Ericsson's parents were frustrated or not, but since they created two such striking young men they must have been. They must have been quite frustrated, don't you think?

And this is also where I think language came from, for example. I remember a beautiful woman, with blonde hair co-incidentally, saying it came from our desire to transcend our isolation and have some sort of connection with one another. And it had to be easy, when it was just simple survival on the line.

"Hair". We came up with a sound for that thousands of years ago. Or "look-at-that-awesome-hair-on-that-female-right-there-behind-you."
The Neanderthals came up with a sound for that. Probably spoken 'M. Mm. Ooa Mm.'

Svante Pääbo has tested more than 70 Neanderthal specimens. Preliminary DNA sequencing from a 38,000-year-old bone fragment of a femur found at the Vindija Cave in Croatia in 1980 showed Neanderthals and modern humans share about 99.5% of their DNA. The last half procent is probably from differences in our hair. But when it gets really interesting, I think, is when we use that same system of symbols to communicate all the abstract and intangible things that we are experiencing. What is apathy? Or what is desire or panic? When I say something simple such as "Ericsson's hair" the sound comes out of my mouth and it hits the other person's ear, travels through this Byzantine conduit in their brain, through their memories of what blond hair is (in this scenario), or red or black hair with other drivers through history, and they register what I am saying and they say 'yes', they understand.

But how do I really know they understand? Because words are inert. They are just symbols. They are dead. And so much of our experience is intangible. So much of what we perceive can not be expressed. It is unspeakable. Like Indy '05. And yet, when we communicate with one another, and we feel that we have connected with each other, on all things hair, and we think that we are understood, I think that right there, right in that nano-split-second, we have a glorious feeling of almost spiritual communion. And that feeling might be transient, but I think it is what we truly live for. Please correct me if I might have misinterpreted it all.

The physiology of emotion is closely linked to arousal of the nervous system with various states and strengths of arousal relating to particular emotions. Emotions results in physical and psychological changes that influence our behaviour.
Love or hate Max and Marcus hairs, but you can not deny they bring about emotions, emotions in spades. Or lollipops.
Attitudes towards hair, such as hairstyles or even hair removal, vary widely across different cultures and historical periods, but it is often used to indicate a person's personal beliefs or social position, such as their age, gender, or religion. I think in our two drivers case, it is all quite clearly written on the wall. The wall of champions.
-*:-
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Jocke1: ever considered becoming a writer? :)
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

I think we should start a "Post of the Week" contest.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

[quote="go_Rubens"]I think we should start a "Post of the Week" contest.[/quote

Don't turn the post's into JOCKE1WINSLOL. Save something for all of us
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:I think we should start a "Post of the Week" contest.

It was just an idea. Heck, it could prompt people to try!
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

go_Rubens wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:

It was just an idea. Heck, it could prompt people to try!

You know, I don't find many of Jocke1's posts funny at all. But I guess it's just a matter of taste.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Don't turn the post's into JOCKE1WINSLOL.

*cracks knuckles*

Brace yourself, Joakim. I will give you more of a contest than anyone gave The Finger in the last nine races of 2013.

When I've got time, that is...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

I like how the Swedish media are frantically grasping at straws.
These two nationwide newspapers reach a couple million readers daily.

Ericsson faster than Vettel

Ericsson faster than the world champion

They actually make a big deal out of the fact that Ericsson was faster than Vettel, writing big articles
on the matter, all the while keeping straight faces.

The fact that Ericsson was 13.810 seconds off Jenson Button, and only a mere 0.345 ahead of Vettel in the first place,
is not important, apparently.
Oh, sure, after having a font size of 400 screaming that ME was faster than Vettel, just to be safe they added the tiny bit of information
that Vettel suffered technical difficulties, in font 15. Classic case of not letting the facts get in the way of a good story.

But it gets me to wonder, did Jean-Denis Deletraz ever get these kind of articles back home in Switzerland,
when he qualified only 12.232 seconds behind David Coulthard in Portugal 1995?
Did Giovanni Lavaggi get articles all over Italy when he qualified 12.015 seconds behind Berger in Belgium the same year?
Those are much better stats than what Ericsson managed in Jerez here.
No, because even if Michael Schumacher himself would have been trailing them in Portugal and Belgium, it is still not something to write home about when you in reality are half a spin of the earth behind the leader.

With my Reject-glasses firmly attached to my face, though, this is a triumph!!!
To get this kind of publicity must be golden for the golden-haired Caterham ace.
But just imagine what the casual readers / watchers of F1 must think of these articles? Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill here.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Nuppiz wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:

You know, I don't find many of Jocke1's posts funny at all. But I guess it's just a matter of taste.

I find them too, too long. And I don't LOL, although I understand the intended humour.

And in response to the last few posts of his in this thread, that the female blonde hair he was on about in the last post, could it be that the code it sends be 69?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Ericsson was asked in Jerez:
Have you met any of the drivers?
No, only Kobayashi and Frijns. But I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to work hard.

:lol:
I am not sure the reporter expected that comment. Actually, it is a bit refreshing to hear a non-pc statement coming from a rookie who has not even driven ten laps yet.
We might have the next Kimi on our hands here, in that he does not care in the least for the other drivers.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I suspect he won't be making any friends when he's Lavaggi-ing his way around the track.

Mind you, I don't actually expect him to be too far off the pace of Kobayashi...
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Marcus of Liberty?

ImageImage
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Today, I gave my girlfriend a picture of Marcus Ericsson and Max Chilton and asked her to pick which was the more attractive between the two. She picked Ericsson because;

He can at least pull off the black tie look between them.

This is the picture of Ericsson I showed her, but she didn't show too much favor to either (maybe that's good news for me, because I don't look like either of them). Clearly this is a sign that the boy band battle between Ericsson v. Chilton might be closer than we imagined.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Boy band battle?

Why did the boy band member become a NASCAR driver?
They only run in one direction!
Jocke1

Re: Get Ready for... The EricssonEcstasy!

Post by Jocke1 »

Jocke1 wrote:It's a small world. It was Eje Elgh (ex-Formula 2 driver and "almost-signed-with-McLaren-F1-as-a-driver") who helped Kenny Brack get all those F1 tests in the nineties and a race-contract with Arrows. And now it is again Eje Elgh and Kenny Brack who has helped bring Marcus Ericsson to F1.
Elgh has coached Marcus Ericsson since Marcus was 14 years old.
I also remember Elgh was an advisor/coach for Ricardo Zonta in 2000-2001.
This wrote:Wasnt Elgh himself managed by Torsten Palm?
eytl wrote:Yes. Picked that one up nicely.
So that makes Ericsson the true successor to Torsten Palm. I just fell even more in love with Caterham 2014.
Jocke1 wrote:And the Swedish connection doesn't end with the Elgh's, Brack's, Palm's etc, Ericsson will most likely be assigned Caterham's #1 mechanic (and Swede)
Charlie Haggstam.

And still it continues!
Marcus Ericsson’s personal trainer is apparently Alex Elgh, son of Eje Elgh. I wonder how deep this rabbit hole goes?

And before the first free practice session of the season has even begun, I couldn't help but notice a few rejectful things already, regarding Ericsson today in Melbourne.
First, a few hours ago he signed some autographs for fans at the circuit in Albert Park. Only problem is, they didn't seem to be true hardcore fans.
One has a Lewis shirt on, and the rest are Ferrari fans. I can't see anyone with Caterham apparel.

And Marcus was kind enough to let a film crew in to his and Koba's motorhome/hospitality.
And I notice he has a PS3. Isn't this rather rejectful? In 2014, I would have thought an F1 driver would play on a PS4.
Guess what is in his big bag : )
ImageImage

Just before knocking on Kobayashi's door, Ericsson said -"Let's see if 'the Japanese' is in."
ImageImage
Last edited by Jocke1 on 24 May 2014, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Meatwad wrote:Boy band battle?

Why did the boy band member become a NASCAR driver?
They only run in one direction!

I had to sig that
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Ericsson today was able to hold off a driver by the name of Kimi Räikkönen, who drove a car called a Ferrari. This kid has the stuff.

He also beat Chilton today, saying that after 2 races, I can tell this is going to be a great battle throughout the season! It'll be so good TV directors will have their eyes on the battle, and not entirely on the camera. Now that has to be talent to distract a TV director.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

go_Rubens wrote:Now that has to be talent to distract a TV director.

But Ericsson's nickname isn't talent, that's Max. Ericsson is shampoo.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

go_Rubens wrote:Ericsson today was able to hold off a driver by the name of Kimi Räikkönen, who drove a car called a Ferrari. This kid has the stuff.

I think more impressive was his personal best lap of the race, which was 0.253 faster than his teammate, and fourteenth fastest overall.

14th Marcus ERICSSON 1'47''500

15th Kamui KOBAYASHI 1'47''753 + 0.253
16th Esteban GUTIERREZ 1'47''782 + 0.282
17th Adrian SUTIL 1'48''040 + 0.540
18th Max CHILTON 1'48''249 + 0.749
19th Jean-Éric VERGNE 1'48''527 + 1.027
20th Pastor MALDONADO 1'50''929 + 3.429
21st Jules BIANCHI 1'51''473 + 3.973
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Wow, I didn't realise the Sauber was quite that slow.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Ericsson taught me a new word during todays drivers press conference. He said 'toughicult'.

Sort of a mix between tough and difficult. Probably just another way for him to cut down on those
unnecessary tenths of a second that you can lose in life by speaking too much.
Is there no end to this mans genius? I don't even think Kimi has thought of this before.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Either that or he was mangling his words in eager anticipation of the return of Regular Ordinary Swedish Meal Time. IN SWENGLISH!

And if I was a Caterham mechanic I'd be shouting in a mutilated combination of two different languages and hurling bits and pieces of it round the garage for all the difference it'd make to the final product. Actually, that's not quite right, the nose would look better, and probably be more aerodynamically effective.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

I had a laugh earlier today while watching Ericsson as the guest on a swedish morning news show.
He gave us some fun facts like his father being a professional painter and his mother a bank teller.
He wanted to make it clear that he did not come from a motorsport family.

What I laughed about, though, was when they asked him how special it is to reach Formula One,
and Marcus replied;

http://youtu.be/zPYRRb8jJaY?t=38s
"Formula 1 is a very high level, and there are only a select few that gets to participate in this sport.
There are only twenty-two seats available each year and I think there have actually been more people
on the moon than there has been people driving a Formula 1 car."

Of course Marcus must have meant people in outer space, :?
but he really said people on the moon!

And even the outer space comparison is not valid anymore, it might have been at some point
in time, but certainly not anymore.
743 drivers have raced in at least one Formula 1 World Championship Grand Prix unless I'm very much mistaken,
and if you include drivers who have tested for an F1 team but never actually raced, the total should come to
somewhere between 800-900 most likely.

And people having been to outer space is currently around 550, depending on where you draw the line for 'outer space'.
12 people have actually been on the moon.

But whatever, in Marcus Ericsson's mind 743 drivers in Formula 1 is less than 12 astronauts on the moon,
and I think that's super. It is just that kind of oblivious mentality that makes World Champions.
He only focuses on the driving part, and nothing else.

Who cares about history, who's president, what's going on over at Afghanistan or how much a pint of milk costs, right?
The next Grand Prix is what matters! And lap times!
That and finishing ahead of Chilton and Kobayashi. And hairdos.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Marcus Ericsson is the first Swede racing in Formula One since 1991, twenty-three years ago.
If he keeps this devastating performance up no other team will ever dare sign another Swede for at least another twenty-three years.

There is not a shadow of a doubt that ME is the absolute best this season at being the worst, in practically any
category. It is obvious he has the spirit of rejectdom in his bones and DNA. And he honors the rejects of the past
each time he sits down in his glorious CT05 cockpit and exits the pits.

Too many incidents and crashes, still much too far behind Kobayashi nine out of ten times and his learning curve
has been quite flat ever since Melbourne.

I think this is already the third time this season I'm stating that ME will not finish the year as a race driver for
the Caterham F1 Team. Today just brought us ever closer to the day it happens...unfortunately.
I'd love to watch him get a full year, imagine what rejectful things he could do through Eau Rouge, Parabolica, 130R, Mergulho.
And I'd love to hear many more quotes out of him, so far he has made up new words, made up new statistics that only exists in his
wonderful head and has been completely clueless as to how the FIA Formula One season schedule works.
girry

Post by girry »

To be honest I'm quite surprised the Finnish media or public hasn't really picked up on Marcus' struggles in F1, at least yet. Would have expected much more jokes and jeers on him, given that we always love to point out to swedes about our superior racing drivers and such...
when you're dead people start listening
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I did enjoy Massa's sarcastic clapping after the incident.
Just For One Day...
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

And now Eriscsson is in the "black list" of brazilian tv coverage team. :lol:
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

giraurd wrote:To be honest I'm quite surprised the Finnish media or public hasn't really picked up on Marcus' struggles in F1, at least yet. Would have expected much more jokes and jeers on him, given that we always love to point out to swedes about our superior racing drivers and such...
At least we have your number in ice hockey..oh wait :|
Dj_bereta wrote:And now Eriscsson is in the "black list" of brazilian tv coverage team. :lol:
Did they care about him before the incident? Did they even knew about his existence?
CoopsII wrote:I did enjoy Massa's sarcastic clapping after the incident.
Sarcastic clapping? He was full of joy! Genuine joy for being so close to the talented Norse driver. I think Felipe felt like jumping up and down because of all the excitement he felt, but in his narrow FW36 cockpit he had to settle for discreet but joyful clapping instead;
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

giraurd wrote:To be honest I'm quite surprised the Finnish media or public hasn't really picked up on Marcus' struggles in F1, at least yet. Would have expected much more jokes and jeers on him, given that we always love to point out to swedes about our superior racing drivers and such...

Code: Select all

11    9    Marcus Ericsson    Caterham-Renault       +1 Lap    22    
12    7    Kimi Räikkönen    Ferrari       +1 Lap    6
Ret    77    Valtteri Bottas    Williams-Mercedes       +23 Laps    13

SWEDEN 1 - 0 FINLAND

Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Marcus celebrated the 40-year anniversary since Ronnie Peterson's Monaco GP win by altering his helmet design.
And that helmet bag was apparently used by Peterson and has been loaned to Ericsson for this weekend.

watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I was right.

The table doesn't lie.

Marcus>Kamui
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

watka wrote:I was right.
The table doesn't lie.
Marcus>Kamui
Multi 17-21, then.

And I just realized something, I looked over the fastest race laps from Monaco
and Marcus was second fastest among the Renault-powered cars!!

1. Daniel Ricciardo 1'19''252
2. Marcus Ericsson 1'20''911
3. Romain Grosjean 1'20''979
4. Jean-Eric Vergne 1'21''083
5. Daniil Kvyat 1'22''011
6. Kamui Kobayashi 1'22''425
7. Sebastian Vettel 1'59''505

had Maldonado not DNS:ed Marcus would surely have beat him, too.

Awesome...

Points now in Canada?
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Jocke1 wrote: Points now in Canada?

Marcus is trulli a fabulous 'man of two faces', we never know just what he might decide to do.
He says one thing, does quite another. He's like the Paddock Joker.

He was interviewed Friday at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve by a Swedish TV reporter;

TV
A lot of people talk about the walls here in Montreal, it's very easy to touch them with the car and your manager Eje Elgh
said in our podcast yesterday he was certain you would end up in the wall at some point.
Ericsson
I don't do stuff like that, so no worries.

Less than 24 hours later, though;

Rejectful statistic of the day:

*Marcus Ericsson's qualifying crash percentage is now up to 42.8 !. Can he improve upon that to 50% next time out in Austria?
Here's hoping..

ImageImage

The great thing is that the media, and Marcus himself, has tried very hard to make it clear that he is a 'safe driver'.
A driver that builds up his speed step by step and one who doesn't take unnecessary risks.
Well.. :)
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

So proud of Marcus today. Not one but two solid 22nd positions in FP1 & FP2 while improving all the time. Lap by lap.

From being only 2.89 seconds behind teammate Kamui in FP1 he got to within 0.659 seconds of him in FP2.
That's practically nothing! Kobayashi needs to prepare for war tomorrow.

Also, in FP1 Marcus was faster than Vettel through the speed trap by 0.2 km/h!

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Really good effort today not to smash the car in Q1.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »