CoopsII

Re: Channel 4 to replace BBC as F1 broadcaster

Post by CoopsII »

Spectoremg wrote:Dinner party comment of the future:
'Formula 1, oh I used to watch that. Is it still around?'

Hah! Followed by

'Just about'

'Is Lewis Hamilton still in it?'

'Oh no he retired, and you won't have heard of any of the current drivers'.
Just For One Day...
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

I've written a bit about Channel 4's efforts for the main site, if anyone's interested:

http://gprejects.com/centrale/crossing- ... e-f1-debut
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

I've criticized Steve Jones on here before and my assessment of him hasn't changed. Can you really take a sports presenter seriously who's CV includes cooking shows and C4's new 'Sex Box: the no holds barred chat show?' I don't think I'd be the only F1 follower who expects some dedication and therefore knowledge of the subject matter. Steve's a career tv presenter: it doesn't matter what the programme is as long as the cheque's big.
And Paul Hayes, don't tell me how difficult being a tv/radio presenter is, try being an A&E junior doctor for a shift!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Spectoremg wrote:And Paul Hayes, don't tell me how difficult being a tv/radio presenter is, try being an A&E junior doctor for a shift!

I never knew that about you. I am so on your side!
Just For One Day...
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Having been a student radio DJ and online racing league commentator I can say that Steve Jones is a bit out of his depth really. Do not get me wrong, he can learn, and I hope he does. One of the problems I had with the Channel 4 coverage was Steve Jones not really anchoring the footage meaning the guests and pundits can clamour over one another.

I feel that considering how late in the game they are to the party Channel 4 have done reasonably ok. But to be honest, I agree, they should have tempted Steve Rider away from his ITV touring car deal.
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Spectoremg wrote:And Paul Hayes, don't tell me how difficult being a tv/radio presenter is, try being an A&E junior doctor for a shift!

He did say "Not difficult or stressful in the same sense that being a nurse or a teacher or any other truly valuable profession is, but within its own field, it is difficult". Maybe read the article properly perhaps, it's very good.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Spectoremg wrote:nd Paul Hayes, don't tell me how difficult being a tv/radio presenter is, try being an A&E junior doctor for a shift!

With all due respect, if you'd actually read the article you'd see I made pretty much that exact point.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Paul Hayes wrote:
Spectoremg wrote:nd Paul Hayes, don't tell me how difficult being a tv/radio presenter is, try being an A&E junior doctor for a shift!

With all due respect, if you'd actually read the article you'd see I made pretty much that exact point.
Apologies. Winding my neck in now.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Spectoremg wrote:
Paul Hayes wrote:

Apologies. Winding my neck in now.

No worries! :)

I shall now explain why radio producers are the greatest, sexiest, most intelligent and most charismatic people who ever lived...
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

CoopsII wrote:

I never knew that about you. I am so on your side!

Jeremy Hunt is a ...

Granted, most of my UK politics knowledge comes from The Last Leg, but anyway
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

sswishbone wrote:Having been a student radio DJ and online racing league commentator I can say that Steve Jones is a bit out of his depth really. Do not get me wrong, he can learn, and I hope he does. One of the problems I had with the Channel 4 coverage was Steve Jones not really anchoring the footage meaning the guests and pundits can clamour over one another.

I feel that considering how late in the game they are to the party Channel 4 have done reasonably ok. But to be honest, I agree, they should have tempted Steve Rider away from his ITV touring car deal.

As good as Ryder is, he is probably the least Channel 4-like sports presenter I can think of. This is the channel that took horse racing and made John McCririck the main event.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Steve Rider is a tried and tested option in motorsports, but he'd be too conservative for C4. Channel 4 have historically been a channel that tries to push boundaries, and Rider's approach is perhaps a touch restrained for their image.

Give Steve Jones a chance to find his feet, you cannot realistically expect him to be flawless first time out.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I do think Steve Rider is better when recorded rather than when he's live. Always seems to be slipping up or getting his words muddled when he's live doing the BTCC.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Well, it seems I partied before time. F1 went premium on a new channel called Eurosport 2 Xtra in the 3 major cable providers in Portugal. I will still honour my vow of not giving a dime to F1 as long as Bernie is there and that is not going to change.

I do not wish them luck and sincerely hope they make a net loss on it. Eurosport had one job and that was to save F1 in this country. Way to go, then...

Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

DanielPT wrote:Well, it seems I partied before time. F1 went premium on a new channel called Eurosport 2 Xtra in the 3 major cable providers in Portugal. I will still honour my vow of not giving a dime to F1 as long as Bernie is there and that is not going to change.

I do not wish them luck and sincerely hope they make a net loss on it. Eurosport had one job and that was to save F1 in this country. Way to go, then...

Well, NOS, Meo and Vodafone chose that way. Somehow, Cabovisão kept it in free TV. I get it for free. :D :facepalm:
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:Well, it seems I partied before time. F1 went premium on a new channel called Eurosport 2 Xtra in the 3 major cable providers in Portugal. I will still honour my vow of not giving a dime to F1 as long as Bernie is there and that is not going to change.

I'm really sorry about that DPT but I'm with you in spirit. I'm sure there will be some incredible (short-term) deals available when the UK coverage goes behind The Pay Wall but I for one won't be taking any of them up on it so as far as me and F1 go...
Just For One Day...
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Cutting to a commentary by Alain Prost just as the safety car was coming in. Very poor.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Spectoremg wrote:Cutting to a commentary by Alain Prost just as the safety car was coming in. Very poor.

Missed that myself. I don't think Prost was much of an addition to the team this weekend. He had some good moments, like when they went through the garages before qualifying, but when it came to on the spot opinions and explanations he wasn't great in my view.

Other than that, I was impressed with Channel 4's coverage compared to what's been written about Sky and their overly-patriotic rubbish. Makes me delighted that I'm not spending all that money on a subscription!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Do highlights broadcasters get to pick the races they show live or do they get what they're given? If it's the former I wish they'd pick Brazil/Canada/USA for live coverage - watching this weekend's Canadian highlights at 10.30pm is p1sspoor. :roll:
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Spectoremg wrote:Do highlights broadcasters get to pick the races they show live or do they get what they're given? If it's the former I wish they'd pick Brazil/Canada/USA for live coverage - watching this weekend's Canadian highlights at 10.30pm is p1sspoor. :roll:

https://f1broadcasting.co/2015/12/26/pr ... version-2/
David Nelson wrote:The races that Channel 4 pick will be shown live on Channel 4 and Sky Sports F1, while the races that Sky pick will be shown exclusively live on Sky Sports F1, with highlights on Channel 4. The picks go as follows:

– Channel 4 pick three races (pick 1, 2 and 3)
– Sky pick three races (pick 4, 5 and 6)
– Channel 4 pick one race (pick 7)
– Sky pick one race (pick 8)

This [picking one at a time] continues until every race has been picked. [...] Sky cannot have three exclusive races in a row, and Channel 4 cannot broadcast three live races in a row.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
Spectoremg wrote:Do highlights broadcasters get to pick the races they show live or do they get what they're given? If it's the former I wish they'd pick Brazil/Canada/USA for live coverage - watching this weekend's Canadian highlights at 10.30pm is p1sspoor. :roll:

https://f1broadcasting.co/2015/12/26/pr ... version-2/
David Nelson wrote:The races that Channel 4 pick will be shown live on Channel 4 and Sky Sports F1, while the races that Sky pick will be shown exclusively live on Sky Sports F1, with highlights on Channel 4. The picks go as follows:

– Channel 4 pick three races (pick 1, 2 and 3)
– Sky pick three races (pick 4, 5 and 6)
– Channel 4 pick one race (pick 7)
– Sky pick one race (pick 8)

This [picking one at a time] continues until every race has been picked. [...] Sky cannot have three exclusive races in a row, and Channel 4 cannot broadcast three live races in a row.
Thanks. Clearly C4 need to do some more creative picking.
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

Really? I thought FOM would divide the races into two packages with Channel 4 having to choose one of both.
At least I heard something similar in Italy (with RAI being forced to choose the package which contains Italy, as the Italian GP must be shown on free-to-air TV).
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

novitopoli wrote:Really? I thought FOM would divide the races into two packages with Channel 4 having to choose one of both.
At least I heard something similar in Italy (with RAI being forced to choose the package which contains Italy, as the Italian GP must be shown on free-to-air TV).

Well, as indicated by the "Channel 4", that's just the situation in the UK. I don't know what any other countries do.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

With the exception of the live coverage of Mexico all the other races across the pond are late evening highlights. I suspect this has got more to do with screwing up C4's Sunday evening schedules than any process of selection.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

OK, that is it! First F1 and now this! Enough is enough! This far, NO FURTHER!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37344292

First I'm going to weaponise this Samsung tablet and then I'm marching on London.

WHO'S WITH ME!?!?
Just For One Day...
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

CoopsII wrote:OK, that is it! First F1 and now this! Enough is enough! This far, NO FURTHER!!

First I'm going to weaponise this Samsung tablet and then I'm marching on London.

WHO'S WITH ME!?!?

I'm with you, this is a disgrace. It just...takes the cake, doesn't it?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Ataxia wrote:
CoopsII wrote:OK, that is it! First F1 and now this! Enough is enough! This far, NO FURTHER!!

WHO'S WITH ME!?!?

You're right, it really does take the biscuit. Watching reruns on Watch with ads, it really spoils the flow, and cuts are clear if you've seen it before.

But the real question is:Will Channel 4 play tricks with us or will innuendo remain?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

dr-baker wrote:
Ataxia wrote:

WHO'S WITH ME!?!?

You're right, it really does take the biscuit. Watching reruns on Watch with ads, it really spoils the flow, and cuts are clear if you've seen it before.

But the real question is:Will Channel 4 play tricks with us or will innuendo remain?

If the innuendo and double-entendres go, so will the audience.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Ataxia wrote:I'm with you, this is a disgrace. It just...takes the cake, doesn't it?

Ataxia, are you mocking me?

Of course, over on the Bake Off Rejects forum we're currently discussing whether or not C4 will run adverts halfway through the showstopper or not. Things have got quite heated. One Finnish guy got banned for a week.
Just For One Day...
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

CoopsII wrote:
Ataxia wrote:I'm with you, this is a disgrace. It just...takes the cake, doesn't it?

Ataxia, are you mocking me?

Not even slightly, my friend. However, as usual the desire for a rubbish pun was too great for me to handle.

However, with C4's links to F1 coverage and their plans to do a Celebrity Bake-Off edition, I wonder if they could tempt someone into swapping their race overalls for an apron? I'm sure David Coulthard would do a fantastic job in "Batter Week".
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Ataxia wrote:I'm sure David Coulthard would do a fantastic job in "Batter Week".

"Hoots mon, I was just checking to make sure I didnae hae a soggy bottom when I went an' fell in tae tha mixer!"

What does it say about the BBC and the way that it uses the licence fee that is can't even keep a hold of a bakery show?
Just For One Day...
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

CoopsII wrote:
Ataxia wrote:I'm sure David Coulthard would do a fantastic job in "Batter Week".

"Hoots mon, I was just checking to make sure I didnae hae a soggy bottom when I went an' fell in tae tha mixer!"

What does it say about the BBC and the way that it uses the licence fee that is can't even keep a hold of a bakery show?

...aaaaand I've been told Mel and Sue have left. This doesn't look like it'll end well for anybody.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

CoopsII wrote:What does it say about the BBC and the way that it uses the licence fee that is can't even keep a hold of a bakery show?

But to be fair, if a production company is going to go all mercenary and potentially destroy a well known brand for the sake of money, who can blame them? I like Bake Off and my wife even more so, but why overspend on trying to keep it when the Government are squeezing them and putting pressure on to not be 'commercial' (whether you agree with either of those 2 things or not)

I bet the producers thought that Mel & Sue were guaranteed to stay, having begun their careers on C4. I find it quite hilarious that they aren't. And who can blame them, given that neither of them (nor Mary Berry or Paul Hollywood) it seems were seemingly aware of what was going on with one of their star vehicles being horse traded around.

Anyway....back to racing!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

It does now look like the soggy bottom is falling out from this half-baked deal. It won't be the show that C4 thought they were buying without Mel and Sue.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

I am expecting that one episode into C4's Bake Off contract, Mary Berry (she's the closest to Bernie there anyway) will announce a switch to Pay TV, with Sky running a special Sky Sports GBBO channel showing all weeks exclusively from 2019. It wouldn't be the first time...
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dr-baker wrote:It does now look like the soggy bottom is falling out from this half-baked deal. It won't be the show that C4 thought they were buying without Mel and Sue.

Correct and there's echoes of the Top Gear situation, when ITV started showing Match Of The Day or when those two from off of The One Show moved to ITV.

I like to see smug bastards fail and it certainly looks like the new show will fail through their greed so in many ways I'm quite happy. I understand that the BBC is struggling for finances under this government (and freedom but that's another thread) and it wasn't a massive surprise they found Bernies fee for F1 pretty steep (in fact they found it effing vertical) either.
Just For One Day...
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

CoopsII wrote:when ITV started showing Match Of The Day

ITV's The Premiership. Am I the only person who doesn't have bad memories of that programme?

It's totally not to do with Birmingham being good back then :roll:
I like the way Snrub thinks!
mario

Post by mario »

CoopsII wrote:
dr-baker wrote:It does now look like the soggy bottom is falling out from this half-baked deal. It won't be the show that C4 thought they were buying without Mel and Sue.

Correct and there's echoes of the Top Gear situation, when ITV started showing Match Of The Day or when those two from off of The One Show moved to ITV.

I like to see smug bastards fail and it certainly looks like the new show will fail through their greed so in many ways I'm quite happy. I understand that the BBC is struggling for finances under this government (and freedom but that's another thread) and it wasn't a massive surprise they found Bernies fee for F1 pretty steep (in fact they found it effing vertical) either.

Was it necessarily just that the BBC found those fees to be too steep, or was it the case that, to a certain extent, they also brought some of those issues upon themselves given that they were being a bit extravagant with their production?

As for this culinary digression, I do agree that Channel 4 are probably going to be somewhat regretting their deal given that they might find that both the presenters and judges have chosen to leave the show. It feels like the only ones who are going to profit out of this deal will be the production company - even then, they are effectively getting a short term spike in cashflow that has probably damaged the long term viability of the series, and thus their long term potential income.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Just posting a list here of all the races to be shown live on C4 for 2018 (and thus which are live exclusively on Sky in UK):

Race Date Live on
Australian Grand Prix March 23-25 Sky
Bahrain Grand Prix April 6-8 Sky/Channel 4
Chinese Grand Prix April 13-15 Sky
Azerbaijan Grand Prix April 27-29 Sky/Channel 4
Spanish Grand Prix May 11-13 Sky
Monaco Grand Prix May 25-27 Sky/Channel 4
Canadian Grand Prix June 8-10 Sky
French Grand Prix June 22-24 Sky
Austrian Grand Prix June 29-July 1 Sky/Channel 4
British Grand Prix July 6-8 Sky/Channel 4
German Grand Prix July 20-22 Sky
Hungarian Grand Prix July 27-29 Sky
Belgian Grand Prix August 24-26 Sky/Channel 4
Italian Grand Prix August 31-September 2 Sky
Singapore Grand Prix September 14-16 Sky/Channel 4
Russian Grand Prix September 28-30 Sky
Japanese Grand Prix October 5-7 Sky/Channel 4
United States Grand Prix October 19-21 Sky/Channel 4
Mexican Grand Prix October 26-28 Sky
Brazilian Grand Prix November 9-11 Sky
Abu Dhabi Grand Prix November 23-25 Sky/Channel 4

Source: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13410 ... e-f1-races
MCard LOLA
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Disappointed to see Canada, France and Brazil exclusive to Sky but otherwise not a bad list. Great to see Suzuka, Silverstone, Spa and COTA live on terrestrial
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone