Channel 4 to replace BBC as F1 broadcaster

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

Channel 4 to replace BBC as F1 broadcaster

Post by Londoner »

Lots of rumours flying around this afternoon that the BBC are about to end their contract to show F1, and that ITV will step in to fill the space.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/itv-linked-with-shock-new-f1-deal/

Discuss.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Ciaran

Re: ITV to broadcast F1 again?

Post by Ciaran »

On one hand, at least F1 will be free-to-air.

On the other hand...
Manager of Calsonic Team Impul in Formula E, K-Apex in PES & Eurasian F3 and Mitsuoka in Alt-F1 '76.
My career mode thread - 1988: AGS (19pts, 9th) // 1989: Arrows (25pts, 8th, 1 win!)
You'll never DNF if you always DNPQ. #RollSafe
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Goddamnit, I can't get ITV on my current TV package. I sure hope this doesn't mean switching to the abysmal Setanta Sport full time...
#FreeGonzo
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

They won't advertise during the races. They don't for FE or BTCC, and Sky have set the standard for commercial coverage of F1 in the UK. If ITV do end up with it, they'll copy what Sky do.

But that's beside the main issue here. If you go back to 2009, the fanfare that went with BBC getting the rights back was enormous. Yet, in the six years the Beeb have presided over F1 coverage in Britain they have:

- Thrown away full FTA coverage, which will now never be won back
- Gone through three main commentators and numerous other personnel changes
- Consistently stated that they remain committed to F1 (hmmm...)
- Cut everything to the bare minimum to save costs.

Compare this six year period with how ITV treated the sport in the 12 seasons they covered it. Consistent commentary, good presenters and they treated the sport with respect. BBC initially took it to the next level but have pissed it all away.

Now there may well be a wider issue here, and it may be unfair to blame the BBC entirely for their decision-making. It's well known that many people in the Tory government want to slowly bleed the BBC to death by cutting funding but that still doesn't explain why millions are frittered away on lavish drama programmes that struggle to a few million viewers on Saturday prime time slots.

All in all, something I'm pretty angry about considering everything that was said in 2009. But, if it goes to ITV and they look after it in the same way as they have done for BTCC, then that's probably a good thing. When all's said and done, I didn't really mind ITV's coverage from 97-08.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Given the way the tide of opinion has turned against Sky, I'd say this can only be a good thing if ITV can pull it off.

I'd even take Channel 5 over shelling out a monkey a year for Sky Sports.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I'd be alright with a switch, I remember the ITV days quite fondly except for that godawful theme tune. Who was that by again? Jamie Rockway or somebody.

It would've been interesting to see if ITV could've got the rights to all the live races rather than SKY even if it meant ad breaks to pay for it but IIRC the BBC blocked any other terrestial chanels being in with a shout, particularly Channel 4 who were allegedly quite interested.
Just For One Day...
RAK

Post by RAK »

Oh yay! Back to the days of ads, ads, more ads, a few more ads and a couple more ads on top of that! Because what we want to see isn't the motor racing but another bathplugging advertisement for washing-up liquid!

There's a reason why I didn't get properly into Formula One until 2009 and ITV's coverage before then was a major contributor to that.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

I'll second that; ads and more ads and often at inappropriate times. It's easy to do BTCC without breaks - the races are short. I don't share the rosy view of the previous ITV coverage. No love for the BBC presenters either - what a dismal line up. The way things are going on the track I wouldn't mind if it disappeared from free-to-air, it would make my mind up about never bothering with it again.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Just, please. No James Allen, or Eddie Jordan, or David Coulthard...

Who would be the commentators then?
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

To be honest, I'd keep Eddie Jordan. He can be a real piece of work, but he is right more often than not.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

I never thought i'd say this at the time, but I wouldn't mind if we got James Allen back, provided he could tone down his love for Lewis Hamilton a bit.

Sadly, that won't happen.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Spectoremg wrote:I'll second that; ads and more ads and often at inappropriate times. It's easy to do BTCC without breaks - the races are short. I don't share the rosy view of the previous ITV coverage. No love for the BBC presenters either - what a dismal line up. The way things are going on the track I wouldn't mind if it disappeared from free-to-air, it would make my mind up about never bothering with it again.

So basically, you don't like F1.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Well, we will have F1 on Eurosport from 2016 to 2018 and I am really looking forward to it. Eurosport is currently present in any basic cable package, so no more forking out extra to see F1. Except if they decide to be a pay channel meantime, in which case, I will have to take some drastic hater measures.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Just so long as F1 ends up on ITV1 and not ITV4, so that when BTCC and/or FE are on at the same time as F1, there is no conflicting scheduling...

I'm sure I have more opinion than that, I'm just not sure what yet. Don't want mid-race ads, but there aren't in FE or BTCC (except under safety car).
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I think many people are ignoring the vital question - where does the money lie for ITV if they don't show mid-race adverts? That's where the money lies. FE and BTCC races are not valid comparisons - both are much shorter than a full F1 race (especially at a track like Singapore, where the race length usually comes close to hitting the 2 hour mark).

My hope would be ITV being more innovative in their advertising delivery, rather than relying on the old-fashioned 4 minute long advert breaks. Since coverage moved from ITV to the BBC, rules on advertising over the British airwaves have changed. They can display prominent product placement for example, so perhaps the presenters in the studio, or in the paddock, could be sitting with cans of branded drink or the like. Anything a bit less intrusive than having no clue what's happening for 4 minutes straight...

Another possibility could be - and I can't quite believe FOM themselves haven't done something similar yet - is pair up advertising to second screen content. But then that's all a bit too 21st Century for Bernie.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Biscione wrote:I think many people are ignoring the vital question - where does the money lie for ITV if they don't show mid-race adverts?.

Here's how Channel Four planned to do it. Admittedly some of this could be described as fluff and it suggests rather than confirms there would be no in-race adverts but I think it's a real shame we never got the chance to see what they could've done.

Just For One Day...
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

RAK wrote:Oh yay! Back to the days of ads, ads, more ads, a few more ads and a couple more ads on top of that! Because what we want to see isn't the motor racing but another bathplugging advertisement for washing-up liquid!

There's a reason why I didn't get properly into Formula One until 2009 and ITV's coverage before then was a major contributor to that.

Ah now you know how we feel in America. Well not really, your races don't start at 6:30am.....
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Wallio wrote:
RAK wrote:Oh yay! Back to the days of ads, ads, more ads, a few more ads and a couple more ads on top of that! Because what we want to see isn't the motor racing but another bathplugging advertisement for washing-up liquid!

Ah now you know how we feel in America. Well not really, your races don't start at 6:30am.....

The ones in the Far East, Southeast Asia and Australia do :P
#FreeGonzo
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

True, but then again they start at 2:30am here :P

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
mario

Post by mario »

Whilst we will have to see whether such a deal actually does take place, it wouldn't surprise me given that the BBC does seem to have been trying to wriggle out of their contract for a while. At the very least, the way that the quality of their coverage has declined over time showed that they seem to have been steadily just serving out their time whilst they could find a way of offloading the deal onto somebody else.

Biscione wrote:I think many people are ignoring the vital question - where does the money lie for ITV if they don't show mid-race adverts? That's where the money lies. FE and BTCC races are not valid comparisons - both are much shorter than a full F1 race (especially at a track like Singapore, where the race length usually comes close to hitting the 2 hour mark).

My hope would be ITV being more innovative in their advertising delivery, rather than relying on the old-fashioned 4 minute long advert breaks. Since coverage moved from ITV to the BBC, rules on advertising over the British airwaves have changed. They can display prominent product placement for example, so perhaps the presenters in the studio, or in the paddock, could be sitting with cans of branded drink or the like. Anything a bit less intrusive than having no clue what's happening for 4 minutes straight...

Another possibility could be - and I can't quite believe FOM themselves haven't done something similar yet - is pair up advertising to second screen content. But then that's all a bit too 21st Century for Bernie.

They could perhaps adopt some of Sky's strategy by bookending the race with adverts during the pre-race build up and post race coverage, as well as during the practise sessions.

Your suggestion of having ad-funded content during the coverage would chime with the suggestions that Channel 4 put forward - a pre-filmed piece for camera could be relatively inexpensive (being done in a studio back in the UK), could have the sponsors feature in a more subtle and palatable way for viewers and could in fact be popular if it was used in a way that shed further light on the workings of the sport that are normally hidden.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

CoopsII wrote:
Spectoremg wrote:I'll second that; ads and more ads and often at inappropriate times. It's easy to do BTCC without breaks - the races are short. I don't share the rosy view of the previous ITV coverage. No love for the BBC presenters either - what a dismal line up. The way things are going on the track I wouldn't mind if it disappeared from free-to-air, it would make my mind up about never bothering with it again.

And who around here is cock-a-hoop with the state of F1 right now?
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Spectoremg wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

And who around here is cock-a-hoop with the state of F1 right now?

Doesn't mean we have to be negative nancies about everything and anything to do with the sport.
Everything's great.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Spectoremg wrote:And who around here is cock-a-hoop with the state of F1 right now?

I'm alright with it.

Yes, the sport has its problems but as long as I've been following it its had its problems, and on several occasions they've been the same problems again and again.

Watch something else if you want.
Just For One Day...
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I don't agree with the anti-BBC bias of the current government. However, the BBC does waste money on things it doesn't do very well, such as the awful Breakfast programme, the BBC Sport website and - I'm afraid to say, F1.

Therefore, if it's a choice between getting rid of genuinely unique services such as BBC4 or getting rid of some of the above, I would rather they do the latter. Given that they clearly can't be bothered any more they may as well save the money and let ITV or someone else have a go.

By the way, it's not entirely true to say that ITV don't schedule ad breaks during BTCC races - they have done so when the safety car has been out and then completely missed the restart of the race on occasion. Admittedly they haven't done that for a while though.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Spectoremg wrote: cock-a-hoop

Forgive me, but I have not heard that one before. Translation please?

IceG

Post by IceG »

Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Thank you. That's certainly not what it would mean over here. :D

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wallio wrote:

Dare I ask what it might mean on the other side of the pond?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

I don't think the extent of the hostility I've received in several of the replies to my post is necessary.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Spectoremg wrote:I don't think the extent of the hostility I've received in several of the replies to my post is necessary.

Examples?

Also, you're putting yourself out there with strong opinions and they're opinions which could be described as 'hostile' towards todays F1. You must have considered that some people may not agree with you?

Also, East Londoner - I bloody love your avatar and even though I know that it isn't you in the picture in my head from now on it always will be.
Just For One Day...
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

CoopsII wrote:
Spectoremg wrote:I don't think the extent of the hostility I've received in several of the replies to my post is necessary.

Examples?

Also, you're putting yourself out there with strong opinions and they're opinions which could be described as 'hostile' towards todays F1. You must have considered that some people may not agree with you?

Also, East Londoner - I bloody love your avatar and even though I know that it isn't you in the picture in my head from now on it always will be.
Whatever, I realise you're one of the bedroom blogger mandarins on here and not to be upset.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Spectoremg wrote:]Whatever, I realise you're one of the bedroom blogger mandarins on here and not to be upset.

I'm at work, mate, and I can't speak for Salamander.
Just For One Day...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

CoopsII wrote:
Spectoremg wrote:]Whatever, I realise you're one of the bedroom blogger mandarins on here and not to be upset.

I don't even know what one of those is.
Everything's great.
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

CoopsII wrote:I'd be alright with a switch, I remember the ITV days quite fondly except for that godawful theme tune. Who was that by again? Jamie Rockway or somebody.

It would've been interesting to see if ITV could've got the rights to all the live races rather than SKY even if it meant ad breaks to pay for it but IIRC the BBC blocked any other terrestial chanels being in with a shout, particularly Channel 4 who were allegedly quite interested.

It was Jamiroquai! (or at least they did it in the early days) It was pretty decent irc, but it ain't no Chain or Drive (The Sky Sports one)
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

dr-baker wrote:
Wallio wrote:

Err....well you are one of the more religious gents on here, so how can I phrase this? Most people would probably think you were referring to certain battery powered devices that restrict bloodflow to err, areas shall we say.

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wallio wrote:
dr-baker wrote:
Wallio wrote:Thank you. That's certainly not what it would mean over here. :D

Err....well you are one of the more religious gents on here, so how can I phrase this? Most people would probably think you were referring to certain battery powered devices that restrict bloodflow to err, areas shall we say.

I assumed it might have been a reference to something like this product from Amazon...
MCard LOLA
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

CoopsII wrote:

Ta for seeing the funny side. Rant over.
mario

Post by mario »

And once again, it looks as if Bernie is responding to the rumours by reiterating his intention to hold the BBC to their side of the contract and does not want to release them from their contract prematurely. If he does do that, I guess that might force the BBC to cut their coverage right back - I guess that their pre and post race coverage will be cut to the bone as one of the more obvious expenses they could cut?
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

It could be plausible that the BBC decide to go back to the system they used in the 1980s up to about 1993, where Murray Walker and James Hunt usually commentated on races from a room situated somewhere in the Television Centre in London. I imagine MediaCity:UK has ample space for such a system to be implemented again. That would save a lot of money in regards to logistics for the flyaways, whereas races like Britain, Belgium, Monaco and Germany get commentary from the track as usual.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

I doubt the BBC have much clout these days with tv sport but dodging out of this contract early wouldn't bring them much glory.