Channel 4 to replace BBC as F1 broadcaster

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Bobby Doorknobs

Re: Channel 4 to replace BBC as F1 broadcaster

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

CoopsII wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Didn't the BBC show 10 out of 19 races live last year? And now Channel 4 are showing 10 out of 21? A slightly worse deal, if you ask me...

They came late to the table and probably had little time for negotiation, I think the whole coverage this season will be a bit belts and braces which should give folk PLENTY to whinge about. Hopefully they should be better prepared for 2017 which will still give folk PLENTY to whinge about.

Great, so we have another classic season ahead of us!
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AndreaModa wrote:Jesus people how hard is it to understand that half of 21 is 10.5, and you can't show half a race live. The only reason the BBC did 10 of 19 last year is because the German GP was cancelled, otherwise it would have been 10 from 20. Sky aren't going to be generous and round up when half the number of races in a season isn't a whole number, hence it's always rounded down.

Hey, I told you I was ill... Was just hoping that with two extra races, one more might be live on terrestrial... But other people seem to make sense to my currently befuddled mind.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I'm quite interested to see whether, as head honcho, Coulthard is able to rope in any big names to join in the fun over at Channel 4. We've seen Brundle gather up a couple of ageing Rat Packers in the form of Herbert and Hill but I always saw DC as having a more international circle of F1 peers, such as Villeneuve, Salo and MSC. And the British viewing public, that is, not us lot on here, would rather a British voice commented on the racing I think.

Falling back on the Scottish Motorsport Mafia has pros and cons. The biggest con looming in my imagination right now is the image of Paul Di Resta conducting pit-lane interviews and general punditry. The Pros could well be a commentary box link-up between Coulthard and McNish with Susie McWolff giving pre and post race opinions. With Johnny Dumfries being called on to add a historical context. And Dario F commentating on the North and South American races.

Too much Scotland? Well, it is Burns Night on Monday. Has everybody got their haggis? I know I have.
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote: Has everybody got their haggis? I know I have.

Mine is running around free-range in the garden as we speak. Their eggs are delicious. The shells though - how do they get such a wonderful tartan pattern on them?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Simtek wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:Jesus people how hard is it to understand that half of 21 is 10.5, and you can't show half a race live.

What about the 2009 Malaysian GP? :P

or the 1991 Australian GP or the 1984 Monaco GP....
WeirdKerr

Post by WeirdKerr »

And they are keeping "The Chain" :dance:
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

WeirdKerr wrote:And they are keeping "The Chain" :dance:

That is wonderful news!
MCard LOLA
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Well finally some proper news on this and an analysis article from Autosport that really does sell the coverage strongly

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123168

Some great names in the list with Murray Walker, Mark Webber, Karun Chandhok and Alain Prost as well as the current BBC Commentary team who are very good. My only gripe is the inclusion of Nicholas Hamilton. I am not sure what he can really add other than "well knowing my bro..." What does everyone think?
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

I have to agree about Nicolas Hamilton. Yes he does BTCC but I don't see him as an expert.

Good to see the BBC Commentary team being kept plus Murray walker is always a plus. Not Convinced about Steve Jones but can't be much worse than Suzi Perry from last year. Hopefully he won't hold a ipad for the entire program.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Heh yeah that did get old quite quickly (the I Pad) I did like reading how he watched the entirety of last season though to fully look in to what he was getting in to so he gets some points from me for that. Hopefully he can stand up and do a good job.
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

I have no idea how this new deal will affect me as I am not British, but seeing Murray involved once again makes me deeply happy
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

sswishbone wrote:My only gripe is the inclusion of Nicholas Hamilton. I am not sure what he can really add other than "well knowing my bro..." What does everyone think?

I agree, although there may be times when what he has to say could be quite interesting even if it doesn't carry much weight. Much like Prost and Not-Senna, though, I wouldn't expect to see him at every race. Steve Jones can be amusing and annoying in equal measure but he is very C4. A concern could be that when he's amusing it's because he's prepared his lines beforehand, not sure whether he can pull it off live.
Just For One Day...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

inb4 Nicholas Hamilton comes to every race and his opinion is asked after every incident and event involving his brother, because we've seen this all before because the main team is LITERALLY JUST THE BBC TEAM WITH A FEW OTHER PEOPLE ROTATING IN AND OUT.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Rob Dylan wrote:inb4 Nicholas Hamilton comes to every race and his opinion is asked after every incident and event involving his brother, because we've seen this all before because the main team is LITERALLY JUST THE BBC TEAM WITH A FEW OTHER PEOPLE ROTATING IN AND OUT.

Other than a piece about his own racing I think I've only seen Hamilton Jr once or twice on the BBC.
Just For One Day...
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

If Murray Walker does full commentary for even just one race, then I may actually watch a full GP this year!
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Collieafc wrote:If Murray Walker does full commentary for even just one race, then I may actually watch a full GP this year!

I know he is old and has been battling various health problems, but I would absolutely love this to happen. Unarguably the greatest motorsport commentator of all time.

I personally think it is close between him and Richie Benaud for the best across any sport
Last edited by RonDenisDeletraz on 09 Mar 2016, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Collieafc wrote:If Murray Walker does full commentary for even just one race, then I may actually watch a full GP this year!

If only. At 92 I reckon a full race could finish him off.
Just For One Day...
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

CoopsII wrote:

If only. At 92 I reckon a full race could finish him off.

Has a cloning machine been made yet? That way the world would have Murray Walker around forever!
The future McLaren http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
mario

Post by mario »

Rob Dylan wrote:inb4 Nicholas Hamilton comes to every race and his opinion is asked after every incident and event involving his brother, because we've seen this all before because the main team is LITERALLY JUST THE BBC TEAM WITH A FEW OTHER PEOPLE ROTATING IN AND OUT.

To a certain extent, I'm not that surprised that it turned out that way.

Channel 4 probably wanted a team that the public were familiar with, had established links within the sport and could be put together in a fairly short period of time, so it is probably not surprising that most of the BBC's team have ended up at Channel 4. Asides from that, as Channel 4 are using the same production company as the BBC, there probably was a commercial incentive to use the same figures as well.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Well, they've increased the bell-end factor by 100% - Eddie Jordan AND Steve Jones. Sorry, but the latter is truly awful despite thinking he's god's gift to presenting. Murray, much as I love him, is now too old to offer very much.

Mark Webber & Karun Chandhok notwithstanding, I'm very disappointed to be honest.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Barbazza wrote:Well, they've increased the bell-end factor by 100% - Eddie Jordan AND Steve Jones. Sorry, but the latter is truly awful despite thinking he's god's gift to presenting. Murray, much as I love him, is now too old to offer very much.

Mark Webber & Karun Chandhok notwithstanding, I'm very disappointed to be honest.

Crikey it's only a bunch of TV presenters. Hardly the end of the world. I've never been too bothered about the pre and post race coverage, it's the race I'm interested in. Out of curiosity, who would you have picked instead? Keeping Suzi Perry?
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

AndreaModa wrote:
Barbazza wrote:Well, they've increased the bell-end factor by 100% - Eddie Jordan AND Steve Jones. Sorry, but the latter is truly awful despite thinking he's god's gift to presenting. Murray, much as I love him, is now too old to offer very much.

Crikey it's only a bunch of TV presenters. Hardly the end of the world. I've never been too bothered about the pre and post race coverage, it's the race I'm interested in. Out of curiosity, who would you have picked instead? Keeping Suzi Perry?

To be honest, they could probably afford to lose a couple of members. That's quite a big presenting team...

My own response: Not a fan of EJ, or DC as a commentator. As for the rest, I like Karun and I don't mind Bruno. The others are mainly an unknown quantity to me, having not seen most of them in this kind of role. Some questionable hirings (Hamilton, for example), but there really is only one way of finding out if it works or not, isn't there? :)
#FreeGonzo
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

They won't all be at every race. It's believed Hamilton and Zanardi are there to tie into C4's coverage of the paralympics, and like them the rest of the pundits will dip in and out as required. The only full time team members will be Steve Jones, DC, Ben Edwards, Chandhok and Lee McKenzie I think. Murray will just be doing some reflective pieces like he did with the BBC that were terribly marketed so no-one knew about them.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AndreaModa wrote: Out of curiosity, who would you have picked instead? Keeping Suzi Perry?

Now that you come to mention it,....
MCard LOLA
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

The most important thing really is they elected to keep Ben Edwards on. At least we're ensured of a good lead commentator, even if the rest goes to pot.

This rotation idea might have some merit to it. It might even be interesting to mix it up from the commentary booth as well - have some different partners alongside Edwards at various events. Webber at the Aussie GP for example I'm sure would be interesting, Scott Speed at Austin (I actually felt he did reasonably well during the Mexico FE coverage), Rubinho at Interlagos, and so on.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Biscione wrote:Rubinho at Interlagos, and so on.

At least we'll be guarantee'd no blah-blah-blah-ing during the coverage.
Just For One Day...
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

AndreaModa wrote:Crikey it's only a bunch of TV presenters. Hardly the end of the world. I've never been too bothered about the pre and post race coverage, it's the race I'm interested in. Out of curiosity, who would you have picked instead? Keeping Suzi Perry?

I never said it was life or death, so there's no need to adopt that tone!
It's simply that I was looking forward to C4s take on F1 and in my opinion, the presenting line-up is not as strong as I'd hoped.

To answer your question, I'm not a fan of Suzi Perry either. I would have been happier with someone like Mark Webber or Karun Chandhok to take the lead role. It seems like they've just gone for a C4 'face'.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Barbazza wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:Crikey it's only a bunch of TV presenters. Hardly the end of the world. I've never been too bothered about the pre and post race coverage, it's the race I'm interested in. Out of curiosity, who would you have picked instead? Keeping Suzi Perry?

I never said it was life or death, so there's no need to adopt that tone!
It's simply that I was looking forward to C4s take on F1 and in my opinion, the presenting line-up is not as strong as I'd hoped.

To answer your question, I'm not a fan of Suzi Perry either. I would have been happier with someone like Mark Webber or Karun Chandhok to take the lead role. It seems like they've just gone for a C4 'face'.

Nah sorry that's my bad. Fair enough, though to put a driver straight into the lead role might make things interesting!

Biscione's point about rotating the commentary team might not be wide of the mark, I read that there might possibly be a third rotating member of the commentary team at certain races, so that scenario may well play out yet.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Barbazza wrote: I would have been happier with someone like Mark Webber or Karun Chandhok to take the lead role. It seems like they've just gone for a C4 'face'.

I do think it's a job for a 'professional talking person', not an ex-driver in this day and age. If you look at how long it took Gary Lineker to really settle into his role as a pundit and then a presenter after being a participant and try and imagine the backlash as some ex-driver stumbled his way through a few races. Sheesh.
Just For One Day...
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

CoopsII wrote:I do think it's a job for a 'professional talking person', not an ex-driver in this day and age. If you look at how long it took Gary Lineker to really settle into his role as a pundit and then a presenter after being a participant and try and imagine the backlash as some ex-driver stumbled his way through a few races. Sheesh.

I think that's probably fair, though Karun has already done a bit on Sky and for ITV4 on their Formula E coverage of course! I guess he's not a big enough name for the casual punters though.
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

So details of the coverage are up, we get a preview show on Friday at 21:00, running for a paltry 5 minutes,
then the quali show is Saturday from 12:30 - 14:15 and the race is 13:30 - 16:00 - fairly comprehensive,
hopefully not too much chat, though I don't know how much actual action Sky allow other broacasters to show.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/formula-1

A fair amount of content from Coulthard around the website, and under the circuit guide there are details of
which races will be shown live.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

madmark1974 wrote:So details of the coverage are up, we get a preview show on Friday at 21:00, running for a paltry 5 minutes,

Blimey, barely enough time to tell you what's on when over the weekend let alone go into any detail. There is a program on Thursday at 9pm featuring David Coulthard and Guy Martin which could be a bit of a laugh. I did note when it was being announced that DC was referred to as an 'F1 legend' which caused me to titter in my hand condescendingly.
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote: I did note when it was being announced that DC was referred to as an 'F1 legend' which caused me to titter in my hand condescendingly.

Because the real legends of the sport are Yuji Ide, Al Pease and Perry McCarthy!
MCard LOLA
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

CoopsII wrote:
madmark1974 wrote:So details of the coverage are up, we get a preview show on Friday at 21:00, running for a paltry 5 minutes,

Blimey, barely enough time to tell you what's on when over the weekend let alone go into any detail. There is a program on Thursday at 9pm featuring David Coulthard and Guy Martin which could be a bit of a laugh. I did note when it was being announced that DC was referred to as an 'F1 legend' which caused me to titter in my hand condescendingly.

Well in DC's defence he was behind only Prost Senna and Schumacher in the all time points list (Before it was meddles into what we have today). Whether thats because he never had to drive a real dog of a car is another matter...

As for the friday, it is way too short but its still 5 minutes more than BBC provided. As long as C4 dont become a Hamilton Fanclub mouthpiece like BBC and Sky then its an improvement in my book
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
WeirdKerr

Post by WeirdKerr »

If crashing in the Adelaide pitlane doesn't make DC a legend then I don't know what does....
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

I do have Sky Sports F1, but giving the Channel 4 show a watch to see what it's like.

Feels a bit weird having The Chain on coverage other than the BBC's, but it's not as if they own the song. Interestingly, I had the chance to interview Jake Humphrey the other day (1:25'28" into here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03kk9sl), and he rather hinted that perhaps Sky had fancied having it for this year.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Paul Hayes wrote:I do have Sky Sports F1, but giving the Channel 4 show a watch to see what it's like.

Feels a bit weird having The Chain on coverage other than the BBC's, but it's not as if they own the song. Interestingly, I had the chance to interview Jake Humphrey the other day (1:25'28" into here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03kk9sl), and he rather hinted that perhaps Sky had fancied having it for this year.

But considering that Channel 4 have Murray Walker, I feel it's apt that The Chain follows him there.
MCard LOLA
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Steve Jones - a just as irritating Jake Humphrey clone.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Spectoremg wrote:Steve Jones - a just as irritating Jake Humphrey clone.

I quite liked him, and thought he made a decent stab at it overall.

I thought the coverage as a whole got off to a good start.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

I was about to say the same thing. Love the new intro it looks great. Channel 4 clearly making an effort and Jones did a good job.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject