The 2017 Silly Season thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Re: The 2017 Silly Season thread

Post by DonTirri »

CoopsII wrote:Fellow on HuffPost makes some good points, many of which we've made on here in the past...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/tim-goodchild/bernie-ecclestone_b_14042534.html

Some good points.
Unfortunately due to their increasingly obnoxious liberal/leftist/feminist agenda, I cannot take anything posted by Huffington Post seriously.
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

DonTirri wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Fellow on HuffPost makes some good points, many of which we've made on here in the past...

Some good points.
Unfortunately due to their increasingly obnoxious liberal/leftist/feminist agenda, I cannot take anything posted by Huffington Post seriously.

Yeah, 'cos it's so obnoxious to have a feminist agenda? :roll:
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

dr-baker wrote:
DonTirri wrote:

Some good points.

Yeah, 'cos it's so obnoxious to have a feminist agenda? :roll:

Nope. But going to the extremes in an agenda of any sort is obnoxious. And Huff Post is reaching a critical mass in that regard.
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DonTirri wrote:Unfortunately due to their increasingly obnoxious liberal/leftist/feminist agenda, I cannot take anything posted by Huffington Post seriously.

Probably why I read it. Particularly with the rise of the right across the Western world. I wouldn't expect you to be a reader.
Just For One Day...
andrew

Post by andrew »

DonTirri wrote:

Some good points.

:lol: :lol: I wouldn't listen to James o Brien on LBC if I were you in this case.
mario

Post by mario »

andrew wrote:
DonTirri wrote:

Some good points.

:lol: :lol: I wouldn't listen to James o Brien on LBC if I were you in this case.

Whilst I am certainly not surprised that journal is not to DonTirri's liking, nor would be I surprised if he found James O'Brien difficult, there is the twist that LBC have, I believe, recently recruited Nigel Farage to present his own radio programme.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

mario wrote:Whilst I am certainly not surprised that journal is not to DonTirri's liking, nor would be I surprised if he found James O'Brien difficult, there is the twist that LBC have, I believe, recently recruited Nigel Farage to present his own radio programme.

They have and Farage has written for Huffpost in the past too. Y'see, us over here don't feel we need an echo chamber even if those over there insist on their own.
Just For One Day...
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Pascal Wehrlein to Sauber.

So Nasr is out, Manor has two seats free (if they survive) and Mercedes with one (Bottas likely).
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Aguaman wrote:Pascal Wehrlein to Sauber.

So Nasr is out, Manor has two seats free (if they survive) and Mercedes with one (Bottas likely).

Bottas practically confirmed according to motorsport.com
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Yeah

So that leaves Nasr either to Manor or no drive. Williams can't have him since he is under 25.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Massa back in F1 after retirement. Who's he think he is? Nigel Mansell?
Just For One Day...
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
Aguaman wrote:Pascal Wehrlein to Sauber.

Bottas practically confirmed according to motorsport.com

Bottas actually confirmed so we can finally stop hooray I guess
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

:facepalm: Massa's not retiring then.....
IceG

Post by IceG »

WeirdKerr wrote::facepalm: Massa's not retiring then.....

Well that makes McLaren's ambition to finish in the top 4 a bit easier.

Massa is great but once you're gone, you're gone. Just hope he survives the season unscathed.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

With the upcoming new retirement rules in Brazil, Massa was forced to return if he wants a true retirement. :D Talking serious now, I want to see what Massa can do now. His second half in last season was very underwhelming. With no pressure and probably more motivated to racing, I predict he can do better.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
wmetcalf7 4

Post by wmetcalf7 4 »

Seeing Massa return definitely gives me mixed feelings. Not particularly a big fan of him but you just gotta love him. At the same time though, those emotional moments at Brazil are now worth nothing. Seems a bit awkward, and I wonder what will happen at Brazil this year (doubt it'll be as emotional as 2016). Shame that because of Martini a younger (possibly quicker, dare I say it) driver a.k.a. Wehrlein didn't get the drive, but happy that he's still on the grid for this season. Definitely gonna be very interesting with all these driver changes.
#GetWellWickens
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

wmetcalf7 4 wrote:Seeing Massa return definitely gives me mixed feelings. Not particularly a big fan of him but you just gotta love him. At the same time though, those emotional moments at Brazil are now worth nothing. Seems a bit awkward, and I wonder what will happen at Brazil this year (doubt it'll be as emotional as 2016). Shame that because of Martini a younger (possibly quicker, dare I say it) driver a.k.a. Wehrlein didn't get the drive, but happy that he's still on the grid for this season. Definitely gonna be very interesting with all these driver changes.

I think it is surprising that Williams opted for Massa but it must be a measure of the contribution he makes to developing a car, even if the results aren't always the best. As far as the emotions of last season go, he wasn't to know and it was all very genuine at the time so nothings spoiled for me but I'd expect his farewell this season to be a little more light hearted.

EDIT - Hazy hopes - at some point this year thanks to being in the right place at the right time Massa wins a race and F1 looks like a decent sport again.
Just For One Day...
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Yeah I mean that car's come on leaps and bounds while Massa's been there!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Spectoremg wrote:Yeah I mean that car's come on leaps and bounds while Massa's been there!

The obvious reply to that is to wonder how bad it could've been had he not been there!

I'm only guessing that's one of the reasons they took him back. For all we know it's the size of his gentleman's appendage that Claire likes.
Last edited by tommykl on 21 Jan 2017, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Keep it family friendly, lads.
Just For One Day...
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Waris

Post by Waris »

Aislabie wrote:Pretty colours?

I hope they use that good old-fashioned yellowy orange (which, apparently, originally came from Reynolds' Aluminium) and not that orange they used in testing a few years back, which made it look like a Spyker. But in any case it would make the grid a lot more colorful, especially if Sauber switch back to a grey livery, which I very much hope they don't.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
mario

Post by mario »

Waris wrote:
Aislabie wrote:Pretty colours?

I hope they use that good old-fashioned yellowy orange (which, apparently, originally came from Reynolds' Aluminium) and not that orange they used in testing a few years back, which made it look like a Spyker. But in any case it would make the grid a lot more colorful, especially if Sauber switch back to a grey livery, which I very much hope they don't.

I believe that the original shade of orange which was used by McLaren was 'papaya orange', which I think is fairly similar to the shade that has traditionally been used by school busses in the US. The origins of that particular livery seem to be a bit opaque, and McLaren themselves seem to be a little uncertain about the reasons for orange being chosen (they suggested it may have been due to sponsors, but are not entirely certain that is true).

At the moment, the hints would suggest that they may be going for a darker hue, more akin to the old test livery and, in some ways, to what Spyker used - it's still rather unclear though.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Congratulations to George Russell on being signed for Mercedes' young driver programme:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38679732

I spoke to him briefly on Thursday to set up the interview quoted in the piece, and he certainly sounded excited, perhaps even a little stunned by it all. We've spoken to him a few times on the station, and he's always seemed - to coin a phrase! - "a nice young man!"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Jesus, how many times has the idea of an orange McLaren been suggested on here and now it could be becoming a reality? What a time to be alive.

Wait, orange? Who's the title sponsor? Trump?
Just For One Day...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

CoopsII wrote:Jesus, how many times has the idea of an orange McLaren been suggested on here and now it could be becoming a reality? What a time to be alive.

You say that like Donald Trump being the title sponsor of some low-budget new American privateer Formula One team isn't the best idea ever :deletraz:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Rob Dylan wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Jesus, how many times has the idea of an orange McLaren been suggested on here and now it could be becoming a reality? What a time to be alive.

You say that like Donald Trump being the title sponsor of some low-budget new American privateer Formula One team isn't the best idea ever :deletraz:

Low-budget? He wouldn't do low-budget. And if he didn't win he'd claim everyone else was cheating. Or that his team did win but the press reporting was FAKE and Hamilton winning was a LIE.

And I can't begin to imagine his impersonation of Frank Williams.
Just For One Day...
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

CoopsII wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:

Low-budget? He wouldn't do low-budget. And if he didn't win he'd claim everyone else was cheating. Or that his team did win but the press reporting was FAKE and Hamilton winning was a LIE.

Finally USF1 might get off the ground! I doubt Jose Maria Lopez will get a second chance if Trump is involved though.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

So, after acquiring the F1 rights to Portugal, Eurosport - with another year in their contract - have decided to cancel the contract and instead focus on their new Olympics contract. Yes, they have elacted to cancel F1 to focus on the 2018 Olympics (Winter) and beyond.

And with how close to the start of the season is - I doubt F1 will go live in Portugal over the next 365 days.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Miguel98 wrote:So, after acquiring the F1 rights to Portugal, Eurosport - with another year in their contract - have decided to cancel the contract and instead focus on their new Olympics contract. Yes, they have elacted to cancel F1 to focus on the 2018 Olympics (Winter) and beyond.

And with how close to the start of the season is - I doubt F1 will go live in Portugal over the next 365 days.

Quite frankly, I am not surprised. And it serves them well if I am honest.

I've have defended for a while that there is no longer enough fan base in Portugal to support F1 being in Pay TV for the amount the contract costs. People just don't have anything to really care about in the sport. Eurosport should've had supported the costs during these 3 years going free and growing following and then maybe, just maybe, switch to pay TV in a fresh 3 or whatever years contract. This pay TV cash cow has long been milked by Sport TV (the previous rights owner) and it is just a bad deal altogether for the values involved and desired by FOM. Sure, Sport TV can pick it up again at a lower cost now (some deal is better than none?), but does it do to the future revenues or awareness any service? F1 in this country needs to go back to free TV if they really want to have more than a couple of followers around here. This is valid to other non directly involved countries, really. F1 sorely needs to rebuild its aged fan base, otherwise...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

CoopsII wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:

Again, I fail to see why this wouldn't be the best thing ever :D
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Rob Dylan wrote:

I feel like this might need to form the premise of a BSMF series.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Aislabie wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:

I feel like this might need to form the premise of a BSMF series.

Trump buys into Arrows at the end of 1989 instead of Ohashi & Footwork, and becomes the tangy cheese-flavoured Andrea Sassetti. :pantano:
Manager of Calsonic Team Impul in Formula E, K-Apex in PES & Eurasian F3 and Mitsuoka in Alt-F1 '76.
My career mode thread - 1988: AGS (19pts, 9th) // 1989: Arrows (25pts, 8th, 1 win!)
You'll never DNF if you always DNPQ. #RollSafe
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127935/gutierrez-was-too-confident-over-haas-seat
Esteban "future frontrunner" Gutierrez Gutierrez admits he was somewhat overconfident in his belief he would get a seat in 2017.

Meh, he'll probably be back in 2018 to fund one of the backmarker teams.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

This news got me riled up today.

Appreciate it's just the media stirring the pot, but why should F1 try to attract fickle car manufacturers who clearly aren't interested and seemingly only want road relevance?

Surely the obvious answer here is an engine formula that does away with trying desperately to be road relevant and pushing a square peg through a round hole, and instead is cost effective and allows companies like Cosworth, Judd, etc to fill the gap? If car companies want to join in, then fair enough, but otherwise leave the racing to the companies built up around and designed to do just that. Right?
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

AndreaModa wrote:This news got me riled up today.

Appreciate it's just the media stirring the pot, but why should F1 try to attract fickle car manufacturers who clearly aren't interested and seemingly only want road relevance?

Surely the obvious answer here is an engine formula that does away with trying desperately to be road relevant and pushing a square peg through a round hole, and instead is cost effective and allows companies like Cosworth, Judd, etc to fill the gap? If car companies want to join in, then fair enough, but otherwise leave the racing to the companies built up around and designed to do just that. Right?

Maybe they're sounding out the new management to see how receptive they are to doing some sort of deal? I do think that, despite everything, F1 is still a good way for manufacturers to advertise their brand to a broad audience. It's just that in the recent past it cost more to do than was justifiably reasonable. Perhaps better deals could tempt the big names back in whatever capacity they want.
Just For One Day...
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Agreed, it's a perfect platform for manufacturers (on that topic, Ford naming WRC as road-relevant seems laughable to me).

I'm just not sure F1's rulemakers should be bending over backwards and framing the regulations entirely around attracting new car manufacturers (which was exactly the case with the current engines, and look how successful that's been in bringing new companies into the sport).
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

2017 will be Sauber's 25th anniversary as a F1 team. As of the end of 2016 the team has 24 podium finishes. Any chance that they will get their 25th podium this year to match the occasion? :D
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:2017 will be Sauber's 25th anniversary as a F1 team. As of the end of 2016 the team has 24 podium finishes. Any chance that they will get their 25th podium this year to match the occasion? :D

Technically, yes. Realisticly, most likely not.
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:
CaptainGetz12 wrote:2017 will be Sauber's 25th anniversary as a F1 team. As of the end of 2016 the team has 24 podium finishes. Any chance that they will get their 25th podium this year to match the occasion? :D

Technically, yes. Realisticly, most likely not.

If there's a repeat of the 1996 Monaco GP, then yes...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Sky Sports F1 wrote:"Talks have been ongoing over the last couple of weeks with a party that would seek to buy the team," he says. "And that has meant that the administrators, who are in charge of the factory and the cars, have deferred any kind of auction or sale of all of those goods until they are sure that either they can go ahead with this sale or that it's not going to come to pass."
[LINK]

Manor Racing Team Fan Blog wrote:The two drivers selected to drive for the team, if the bid is successful, have made no other plans for next season.
[LINK]

Is it wrong that I'm still daring to dream? Also, I can't help but notice this:

F1 Fanatic wrote:Nyck De Vries is yet to announce his plans.
[LINK]

Could it perhaps tie in with a last-minute Honda engine supply deal if Manor were to return and to run a McHonda young driver in return for a discount? Or have I entered the realm of truly silly conjecture.