2009 Regulations & Innovations

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Max_M

2009 Regulations & Innovations

Post by Max_M »

Is it just me or is it bloody difficult to identify the soft tyre on 09's cars?
Could Bridgestone please make the green bands white!
In my oppinion It would make identifying the soft tyres a hell of alot easier at the track and on TV alike.
Cynon

Re: 2009 Regulations & Innovations

Post by Cynon »

I have an abnormally high color-vision and I still found the green tire harder to pick out, probably because they chose a dark green. Bridgestone did the same screw-up a few years ago when they first introduced the option tire markers. What is wrong with Champ Car's old Redwall/Blackwall tire program? Dark Greenwall/Blackwall doesn't seem to work too well, because if I recall rightly, green is one of the colors that most colorblind people can't see! What were they thinking? :shock:

Attention Bridgestone! There are some times when going green is a bad thing -- this is a perfect example! Make the stripes pink, white, bright yellow, or heck, just make the entire tire pink or something!
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
MakiF102A

Post by MakiF102A »

I couldn't see the green stripes.
Perhaps Bridgestone should paint the whole tire :lol:
No One Can Sing The Blues Like Blind Willie McTell
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

I guess we've seen all regulatory innovations for this season work out like charm today: more overtaking, KERS in action, the new safety car rules. Kudos to the FIA. Please bring back the 10-6-4-3-2-1 points system. Feel free to award 1/2 a point for 7th place and 1/4 of a point for 8th place if you must. The points scores just must keep some kind of historical perspective.

The best thing that we've seen today, though, is that a sidelined team can make a sudden comeback as a winner.
It looks as though the "spirit of BAR" is finally gone.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Your mention of BAR reminds me that not only the Honda bosses are crying because they left the party to early (but are still paying for it).
Guys like Villeneuve, Pollock and some BAT marketing people probably didn't have the best weekend either, seeing a rebranded team win their first race.
"A Ferrari is a scaled down version of God" - Jeremy Clarkson
TimmyB

Post by TimmyB »

"Guys like Villeneuve, Pollock and some BAT marketing people probably didn't have the best weekend either, seeing a rebranded team win their first race."

...and seeing as BAR claimed in '99 that 'they' were going to win their first race.
BB01

Post by BB01 »

The tyres were a little hard to see but not impossible, I thought. I was watching in HD, though - not sure if that helped.

On the topic of other new regulations, it seems to me that there are too many restrictions around KERS. It should be left more up to the team to work out how it will best suit them, e.g. if they want to use more batteries to store extra power, they should be allowed to. And why did it seem to recharge as the cars went over the line? That seemed strange to me. Without the flexibility to use the system how the teams wish, we will probably be stuck with the situation there was in Melbourne where a driver as tall as Kubica can never use the system and nor will there be much development on a system that the FIA wants the rest of the world to think will save the planet (or whatever the publisocrap says).
danardif1

Post by danardif1 »

Alexander wrote:Your mention of BAR reminds me that not only the Honda bosses are crying because they left the party to early (but are still paying for it).
Guys like Villeneuve, Pollock and some BAT marketing people probably didn't have the best weekend either, seeing a rebranded team win their first race.

Didn't Jenson's win in Hungary 2006 count as the first win for 'BAR'... Surely they'd be more annoyed then than now... Although now both recent incarnations of the initial team have won and the real BAR never did... even the team they took over was the formerly great Tyrrell...
KAMUI KOBAYASHI

After some more irreverant F1 debate? Join http://www.f1-nation.ning.com!
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Yannick wrote:I guess we've seen all regulatory innovations for this season work out like charm today: more overtaking, KERS in action, the new safety car rules. Kudos to the FIA. Please bring back the 10-6-4-3-2-1 points system. Feel free to award 1/2 a point for 7th place and 1/4 of a point for 8th place if you must. The points scores just must keep some kind of historical perspective.

That is something that I'm supporting too. Bernie is whining that the drivers aren't driving for the win that eagerly anymore, but why would anyone risk their good position by going flat out if one's losing only 2 points by finishing second, especially if that driver has a rather firm point lead for the title? Instead of ruining the whole sport by shiny medal-thingys or mere-win-decided championships, the FIA and Bernie should strongly reconsider revising the points system to be more rewarding for a GP win, be it the good old 10-6-4-3-2-1 or 15-10-7-4-3-2-1 or anything that just would increase the signifigancy of the win, and I'm sure it would boost the drivers' eagerness to drive for the win. With the current system, winning a race is more like just a good-looking thing in one's stats than a championship-decider.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

It's my personal opinion that whitewalls should be introduced as of China, for the sole purpose of attracting old farts that still think that whitewalls are hot stuff.
Max Mosley for ROTY 2009
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

BB01 wrote:And why did it seem to recharge as the cars went over the line?

The graphic didn't show charging--it just showed how much was left. Given that the teams are allowed 6.6s per lap, that was simply the timer resetting. I noticed too and thought it odd for a few laps.
Max Mosley for ROTY 2009
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

isn't it just an electronic timer of some sort that prevents the car from using the Kers if its run out before the end of the lap and then is removed as the car passes through the timing loop on the start/finish straight? i personally don't think Kers is a bad idea but they've introduced it at the wrong time. They're trying to cut costs etc and they suddenly bring in this to make the sport look 'greener'.

And as for the tyres, i'm sorry to say i could see them fine, the only reason they're green is because of this green intiative that goes hand in hand with Kers. In other words its all just one big gimmick to stop all the tree huggers protesting about the sport.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Ide

Post by Ide »

I was watching the race on a pretty small TV, and I couldn't see the green stripes at all during the race, I only saw a glimpse at the pitstops. The stripe also seems to wear pretty quickly from what I've seen from videos as well, which would make painting the sidewall a much better idea I would guess!
If there's a car to crash in your neighbourhood,
Who you gonna call?
Yuji Ide!
BB01

Post by BB01 »

Robbie wrote:
BB01 wrote:And why did it seem to recharge as the cars went over the line?

The graphic didn't show charging--it just showed how much was left. Given that the teams are allowed 6.6s per lap, that was simply the timer resetting. I noticed too and thought it odd for a few laps.

I thought it must have been something like that but i still don't understand why they would make the rules that way. If there is charge in the batteries, why can a driver not use it? Why does it need an artificial timer?
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

so that a driver with kers can't keep pressing the boost button all the way round the track - otherwise it would make it pointless and they might as well take the rev limiter off or give them V10s again.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Right now, I think the KERS is about perfect. It gives a good boost, which is offset very nicely by it's weight, making it a gamble by the team whether or not to fit it on their cars. This in turn adds some variety to the races. As for the green stripes being used to keep the environmentalists at bay, that reminds of the time when Jeremy Clarkson said Top Gear was asked to feature more green cars, and came up with the very, very, very green Lamborghini Murcielago. Except more subtle.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
IntegratorTypeR

Post by IntegratorTypeR »

Is anyone else other than me disappointed that the change in regulations, although has shaken up the order, hasn't increased the gap in terms of time difference to the reject teams/drivers? I was really hoping for a return to the days of rejects being 3/4 seconds a lap off the pace. Maybe if Max can get these "funky" diffusers banned, then those teams will suddenly lag behind in true reject stylee.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

IntegratorTypeR wrote:Is anyone else other than me disappointed that the change in regulations, although has shaken up the order, hasn't increased the gap in terms of time difference to the reject teams/drivers? I was really hoping for a return to the days of rejects being 3/4 seconds a lap off the pace. Maybe if Max can get these "funky" diffusers banned, then those teams will suddenly lag behind in true reject stylee.

I think I'm gonna disagree on that. A true reject is the one that, with a close field like this year's, lags 3 to 4 seconds a lap behind!
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

I daresay with USF1 or another one of the new teams reputed to be joining F1 from GP2 next year we'll get a true reject team.And if USF1 actually reaches F1 (I highly doubt this) and they hire American drivers we'll get a reject. What if USF1 hire Marco Andretti and/or Graham Rahal and they follow their fathers into F1 rejectdom??? An interesting thought...

PS-I know Michael Andretti isn't an official reject.