F1 Teams are bloody crybabies. (Warning: EDITORIAL)

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Stormwind

F1 Teams are bloody crybabies. (Warning: EDITORIAL)

Post by Stormwind »

Ok, this is getting ridiculous. It's bad enough Lewis Hamilton, someone I formerly respected, is being a crybaby. Seems like most of the F1 paddock are following his example. Normally the FIA irritate me to no end with their ludicrous penalties and rulings both on and off track. But for once they made a sensible decision and now it's the teams who are up in arms. In the past when a team was doing poorly they would take it on the chin and move on like mature adults but it seems now we're going to need nappies for the majority of the Formula 1 paddock. The latest hysteria is over the ruling in favour of the 'diffuser three. Guess these teams go to the grocers often, taking the example of an angry bratty kid causing such a scene over a chocolate bar their parents didn't want to buy, so the parent buys the chocolate just to avoid the embarrassment of such a scene. It's bloody pathetic, and even embarrassing for me knowing how much I'm a fan of Formula 1.

Now, I know the tinfoil hat can be put on here and bring on a conspiracy theory about how much 'damage' an illegal verdict would have done to Formula 1, Charlie Whiting (unfortunately this site won't let me go all Paul Stoddart on him.) wouldn't be able to keep his job for one, In fact most of the FIA stewards and Max himself would be in hot water. Since they OKed the bloody thing for 2 consecutive Grand Prix. So the ramafications of judging against Brawn, Toyota and Williams were very much present. However this was a catch 22 type of situation, damned if you do, damned if you don't. So a conspiracy theory can be good fun, it's ultimately a moot prospect.

What is irritating me here is the attitude of the teams over this whole 'diffusergate' issue and worse yet, the bratty kid antics following the verdict. Now the interest of any Formula 1 team is to win, most of the time by any means necessary and this hearing was nothing short of that. Had the diffuser not shown any advantage, no team would have protested it, legal or no. The hearing was embarrassing enough in how personal it got, with Tozzi himself labeling Brawn as a man of 'supreme arrogance.' I don't like Brawn (the man) myself, but this still was acid for the ears. Why? Because the protest should have been civil and on the merits of their argument, not personal attacks. Personal attacks of this sort is something kids tend to do, as well as reeking of desperation when your case is weak.

And here's why this particular event is what makes it somewhat humiliating to be a Formula 1 at this time, such tactics were resorted to, in protests past there were no such tactics. Even over the death of Ayrton Senna, Frank Williams wasn't described as a man with 'Homicidal Intent.' And what can be more personal then someone's death? But now personal attacks aside, there's more to degrade this whole situation and that is teams constantly crying out how the verdict undermines the rules of Formula 1, Even threatening a split in FOTA. This one of those things where you rub your temples and breath deeply in disbelief that it's actually happening. Certain teams aren't doing as well so they're going to split up FOTA. Again, I don't like Ross Brawn (the man.) His tenure at Ferrari really removed whatever respect I had for him. But he's not in the wrong here, He didn't secretly develop an illegal part and ran them in the race, He showed the entire package to the FIA, Twice and they OKed it. And even offered last year to help clear up the diffuser rules so this sort of thing wouldn't happen, of course this was refused. Now this lack of foresight is haunting the non-diffuser running teams and trying the angry bratty kid approach. The chocolate wasn't given to them this time, so now it seems we all have to endure the rants and raves of spoiled brats. Don't you just love Formula 1 Racing? I bet Max is having the time of his life right now....
Ross Prawn

Re: F1 Teams are bloody crybabies. (Warning: EDITORIAL)

Post by Ross Prawn »

It was ever thus and ever will be. Get over it.

F1 is a sport in which billionaires think of ever more elaborate and devious ways to shaft each other. And every few weeks they take a day off and watch cars go round a circuit. Think of it that way and it makes perfect sense.

In this context Tozzi is a star. The Schumi of F1 lawyers. You have to admire his venomous personal and legal attacks on anyone who dares to block the Ferrari path. He should be allowed to score points.
"Other than the car behind and the driver who might get a bit startled with the sudden explosion in front, it really isn't a major safety issue from that point of view,"
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Max having the time of his life right now? Dare I mention NTSMSW5PG in conjunction with Max having the time of his life??? Btw that Ferrari lawyer was brilliant, to call Ross Brawn, an incredibly successful ex-colleague, "Supremely arrogant" and then lose the case I found hysterical. No offence Enoch, but its nice to see hypocritical lawyers shown up in court.
ImissJORDAN

Post by ImissJORDAN »

Ross Prawn wrote:It was ever thus and ever will be. Get over it.

F1 is a sport in which billionaires think of ever more elaborate and devious ways to shaft each other. And every few weeks they take a day off and watch cars go round a circuit. Think of it that way and it makes perfect sense.

In this context Tozzi is a star. The Schumi of F1 lawyers. You have to admire his venomous personal and legal attacks on anyone who dares to block the Ferrari path. He should be allowed to score points.

:lol:

I always preferred to think of F1 that way too. Somewhere in all the show is some racing, and they might get on with it at some point soon if the big men stop posturing. The only feasible conspiracy theory about F1 to me, is that someone, somewhere in the FIA makes lots of money by breeding conspiracy through the making of contentious decisions. ;)

All it really does is heighten F1's image as a glamourous and very expensive game of hyper-realpolitik, complete with mountains of contention.

Stormwind wrote:Ok, this is getting ridiculous. It's bad enough Lewis Hamilton, someone I formerly respected, is being a crybaby. Seems like most of the F1 paddock are following his example.

If you think or wish that the sport was entirely for its own sake, for racing's sake, then you're staring at it through optomistic rose-tinted shades. Drivers are going the way of politics too, and it's only natural. F1 has always survived through waves of controversy and issues of the day, its just we remember the eras for the great events and champions only. Wait twenty years. You'll have learnt to love or ignore it by then, and you might even be calling it F1's "Golden Era". :lol:
Hill - 1998 Belgian Grand Prix, Frentzen - 1999 French Grand Prix, 1999 Italian Grand Prix, Fisichella - 2003 Brazilian Grand Prix
Stormwind

Post by Stormwind »

I'm just old I guess, I've been following Formula one since the 1980's. Nostalgia is getting the better of me. And Enoch, immaculate logic as always. But the point is thus, I understand the way things are. That is beside the point, I just don't like it. Hence the motive of the whole editorial. Just venting my frustrations is all. I feel much better.

As for Max's NTSMSW5PG, it's been forgotten more or less. And in my humble yet worthless opinion, as much as I enjoyed Herr Mosley's public humiliation. His sex life is totally irrelevant and frankly none of our business. His meddling and bastardizing of Formula 1 is more then adequate reason for getting the boot. At least we've had the pleasure of Tozzi being told to sit down and shut up.

On a much brighter note, I'm happy to be part of the F1 Rejects community, Even if I'm on Enoch's bad side now. :D
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Huh Stormwind? I haven't made any comment on this thread as yet ... who says you're on my bad side???

Far from it. And Debaser, no offence taken. I see enough of hypocritical lawyering to be sick of it as well.

I actually completely agree with the sentiment that F1 teams (especially the protesting ones) are crybabies. Has anyone seen Flav's latest comments?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74513

"The drivers in our teams have been and are world champions, while the championship is now fought between a driver who was almost retired and another one who is a good guy but a paracarro (Italian saying for being as slow as a milepost at the side of a road)," Briatore told Gazzetta dello Sport. "I don't know where credibility has ended up with all this. To make up the gap we have to those teams is impossible."

"In three or four grands prix, the title will be already decided, and I can't see what interest TV and spectators can have in seeing a race when Button has 60 points, [Kazuki] Nakajima 50, and someone else 80: it's better to listen to a race like that on the radio, and watch anything but that.

On the subject of "supreme arrogance", I actually it's supremely arrogant for the protesting teams, once the Court's decision has come down, to start whingeing about that decision too, and for Flav to make comments like this. What the Ferraris and Renaults of this world aren't understanding is that relatively neutral F1 fans don't care if Brawn, Toyota and Williams duke it out for every single race win this year. And I'm not a particular fan of any of those teams or their drivers.

But F1 fans this year have been loving the fact that someone other than Ferrari, McLaren and Renault (who have taken out every championship after 1997!!!) looks like winning this year through cleverness rather than big-spend (that might not apply to Toyota, but anyway ...). Having Brawn, Toyota and Williams at the front is a welcome breath of fresh air.

Message to Flav: a mid-season race where, say, Trulli has 80 points, Button has 60 and Nakajima 50? A lot of people will still be very interested in that. As many (if not more so) than if it's Hamilton on 80, Raikkonen 60 and Alonso on 50.
Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

Yeh, I just read Flav's rant and my only thought was that he'd lost his mind. Real crybaby, toys out of pram stuff.

And in in saying that all of his drivers were world champions etc. etc. I presume that Nelsinho had slipped his mind.

Presumably he's upset because all of his clever weezes like mass dampers got banned, but Ross Brawn always seems to get the FIA decision in his favour. But the appeal is done so shutting up is the best option.

Also I note Alonso's rant about tyres. Maybe there's something in the water at Renault this week.
"Other than the car behind and the driver who might get a bit startled with the sudden explosion in front, it really isn't a major safety issue from that point of view,"
PayasYouDNPQ

Post by PayasYouDNPQ »

Ross Prawn wrote:Yeh, I just read Flav's rant and my only thought was that he'd lost his mind. Real crybaby, toys out of pram stuff.

Agree. I think when somebody thinks they should be at the front based solely on who they are rather how well they are performing they should take a good hard look at why they're in the sport.

I wonder what Flabbio thought when Benetton started winning championships with a driver who had, before then, only one two Grand Prix in two years?
Teaching Australians about Rock Apes since 2005