Circuit Information and Times :

Tyre Allocations :

2016 Qualifying Results :

2016 Race Results :

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ClUkhkhUkAEBV8C.jpg:large
good_Ralf

Re: 2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix 23-25 June

Post by good_Ralf »

The racetrack everyone already loves to hate. I suppose Baku would've been perfect in the 80s and 90s, with the long straight stressing the then-fragile engines and the drivers presumably more error-prone. Hopefully we'll all be proven wrong next Sunday, imagine the number of humble pies that'll have to be baked! I'm still expecting another race devoid of incident though.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Another one that I'm going to miss as I will be on a plane to Sweden at the time!
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

good_Ralf wrote:The racetrack everyone already loves to hate. I suppose Baku would've been perfect in the 80s and 90s, with the long straight stressing the then-fragile engines and the drivers presumably more error-prone. Hopefully we'll all be proven wrong next Sunday, imagine the number of humble pies that'll have to be baked! I'm still expecting another race devoid of incident though.

The first part's a bit "another square, yay", but the rest of it I like. It still definitely misses out on the top 20 in the world, but it isn't a bad track.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Too early to judge it I think. I'm certainly looking forward to the Grand Prix anyway. That narrow turn by the castle is already a classic in my eyes.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Don't get me wrong guys, I like the circuit a lot too, I adore how it combines the tight and slow corners of Monaco (with picturesque scenery to boot) with the Monza-like pit straight and the sweeping high-speed bends preceding it. The first race was a bit of a let-down, but honestly, the amount of people who judged the track so soon last year infuriated me.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Ah, someone's beaten me to the punch! No stupid, rambling opening posts...

...so we'll have it here.

Yes, it's the first ever Azerbaijan Grand Prix, as the Grand Prix in Azerbaijan last year wasn't the Azerbaijan Grand Prix. Instead, the race around the streets of Baku was christened the "European Grand Prix", despite the fact that nobody's actually sure whether it's in Europe or not.

What is Azerbaijan? Until 2008, scholars were unsure, knowing it only to be a former Soviet state, but an entry into the Eurovision song contest confirmed Azerbaijan's legitimacy as a real country. The official denonym is "Azerbaijani", which is not a relative of Neel Jani.

Not Azerbaijani, apparently. He's Swiss.

Where is Azerbaijan? Azerbaijan is located within the South Caucasus which may or may not be where Caucasians come from. The Caucasus is not to be confused with caucusing, the act of selecting a delegate for a political outfit, or cactuses, the prickly plant.

Not the Caucasus.

Azerbaijan is located next to Georgia, which is not to be confused with the US state or Georgia May Jagger, who appears in those Rimmel London adverts. You know the one. Get the London look. With those teeth.

Not a country. That being said, her father's just a few letters off being a "country".

The capital city of Azerbaijan is Baku, which is the same Baku from the "Well Done Baku" signs. Baku Welcomed Us All. This is not to be confused with the Japanese "baku", which according to that Google, you know the Googles they have now? Well apparently, the "baku" are the eaters of bad dreams, and yet Nobuharu Matsushita had an absolute f*cking nightmare in Baku last year. You 'member?

Not this kind of baku. A lot of this post appears to be "this is what Azerbaijan isn't". I know nothing about Azerbaijan except what it's not.

That's your quick guide to the Azerbaijan Grand Prix. The circuit itself has some ninety-degree corners, an old bit with a castle, and then a downhill bit. There's also an optician's by that castle, but they covered over the sign last year...which, ironically, I didn't see coming.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Pretty cool track, even if last year's race was shite.

Not fair to judge a circuit on one race. I gave Valencia more than one chance, i'm willing to do the same for Baku.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

I think three races is a good number to evaluate how good races the track can bring. We've had dull races in Spa and everyone loves that track. Or if 2012 race had been the very first one in Valencia it could have been said "that's a very interesting track" while in fact that race was exception for the norm there.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Meanwhile, the Honda clown show rolls into Baku, with McLaren all but guaranteed to lock out the back row of the grid. I'd be amazed if this partnership lasts beyond the end of July, quite frankly. :facepalm:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

East Londoner wrote:Meanwhile, the Honda clown show rolls into Baku, with McLaren all but guaranteed to lock out the back row of the grid. I'd be amazed if this partnership lasts beyond the end of July, quite frankly. :facepalm:

Its not even the penalties that are abysmal, its the fact that Steffel flat out says the new unit won't be much better!
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

East Londoner wrote:Meanwhile, the Honda clown show rolls into Baku, with McLaren all but guaranteed to lock out the back row of the grid. I'd be amazed if this partnership lasts beyond the end of July, quite frankly. :facepalm:

Enough is enough and I repeat my belief that McLaren and Honda should just take the rest of the year off and not come back until Honda work out how to make F1 engines again. There is literally no point in taking part this season, figuratively or otherwise.
Just For One Day...
UncreativeUsername37

First red flag of the F1 weekend! And it's the always-tipped castle turns.

Edit: Also deserving mention for red flag news are the four red flags in F2 so far.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Anyone want tickets for the Red Bull hype train?
UncreativeUsername37

There was another F1 red flag in P2, but F2 will not be outdone!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

So, with the size of their grid penalties and qualifying positions, will the McLarens have to start the race back in Europe?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

dr-baker wrote:So, with the size of their grid penalties and qualifying positions, will the McLarens have to start the race back in Europe?

Well defenitely not in the neighbour country Iran because they won't run...

*Gets coat*
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

This wrote:
dr-baker wrote:So, with the size of their grid penalties and qualifying positions, will the McLarens have to start the race back in Europe?

Well defenitely not in the neighbour country Iran because they won't run...

*Gets coat*

So you mean, "I'm running, I'm running,... Iran"? (Said just as the Honda engine is self-denotating...)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I must confess to feeling a bit sorry for JolPal. His over driving in the practice sessions was more than a little epic, like a 1990s standard Reject. I hope he sticks around.
Just For One Day...
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Aislabie wrote:Anyone want tickets for the Red Bull hype train?

Never mind.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

On lap 1, from a championship perspective, Bottas hit the wrong Ferrari!
MCard LOLA
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Blimey, more caution laps so far than an IndyCar race!

Still, even with all the safety car laps, this Grand Prix has already had much more interest and excitement than last year's Baku race.

Those handbags between Vettel and Hamilton looked a bit dramatic. Did one or other of them deliberately hit each other when Vettel pulled up alongside?
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

*Flush*

That's the sound of 20-25 points for Force India going down the toilet. And to make it worse, Williams will take said points instead.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Massa for the win at this rate? Be nice to see a Williams victory!
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

If Vettel and Hamilton can successfully smash each other.
UncreativeUsername37

taking bets on four hours
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Bowling shoe ugly is the only way to describe this race. We're not even at half distance yet. :dance:

At this point, everyone apart from Massa and Alonso deserve ROTR. Hamilton's being playing silly buggers with the restarts, and I have no idea how Vettel hasn't been stuffed into the nearest wall yet.

RED FLAG?! WHAT THE FLYING bathplug ARE THEY PLAYING AT TODAY? :facepalm:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

East Londoner wrote:Bowling shoe ugly is the only way to describe this race. We're not even at half distance yet. :dance:

At this point, everyone apart from Massa and Alonso deserve ROTR. Hamilton's being playing silly buggers with the restarts, and I have no idea how Vettel hasn't been stuffed into the nearest wall yet.

RED FLAG?! WHAT THE FLYING bathplug ARE THEY PLAYING AT TODAY? :facepalm:

Stroll's 4th and has been completely drama free too. Given his season up to Canada, I'd expect there to be no corners left on his Williams at a track like this, but he's got himself together so far.

Also Vettel is definitely getting a penalty. He deliberately thumped into Hamilton's car after the first contact. At least it'll give something for the Hamilton fabois to martyr their driver over for the rest of the season.
Last edited by Enforcer on 25 Jun 2017, 14:04, edited 2 times in total.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Dramatic race, red flag, Kimi in the pits... Well, it'd be rude not to, wouldn't it?

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Vettel's a bloody idiot! Definitely deserves a penalty for that kind of behaviour.
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Personally I'd throw the book at both of them. You can't brake test behind the SC, and you definitely shouldn't retaliate. They're driving like a bunch of rock apes out there. :facepalm:

And well, it would mean Williams fighting for the win. Yes, I'm totally impartial here. :P
Last edited by Londoner on 25 Jun 2017, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Impressive work for Ferrari, but I bet it's gone down like a cup of cold sick with Raikkonen.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

LANCE STROLL COULD LEGITIMATELY WIN THIS RACE WHAT IS GOING ON. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dr-baker wrote:Vettel's a bloody idiot! Definitely deserves a penalty for that kind of behaviour.

And he gets one, but Hamilton and his headrest... :facepalm:
MCard LOLA
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Vettel *must* be taking the piss with that radio message, surely...?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Paul Hayes wrote:Vettel *must* be taking the piss with that radio message, surely...?

And why won't Ferrari just tell him! I'm with Crofty and Brundle on that.
MCard LOLA
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

It'll be fun when Hamilton cruises up to Vettel... There might be tears before bedtime on that one!
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Blimey. What a race. When was the last time we had an overtake that late in proceedings...?
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

The IIDOTR topic is gonna have a tonne of honourable mentions this week but no one can look past Stroll, well done to get third, just a shame that Bottas pulled the tiny bit needed on the last lap!
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Glad Stroll got a podium, disappointed it wasn't 2nd! Never thought I would be saying that before the race! And I have a friend who believes Vettel should get a lifetime ban!
MCard LOLA