FIA technical chief to join Renault

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Rob Dylan

FIA technical chief to join Renault

Post by Rob Dylan »

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/132095/fia-man-mooted-renault-move-a-major-issue

So Marcin Budkowski, the (now-former) technical head of the FIA, is mooted to be joining Renault once his gardening leave finishes around Christmas time. This guy sees the teams' cars, how they work, what they're developing, as a mediator to make sure everything is legal and fair. And now it appears he may be joining Renault for the 2018 season.

Lots of outcry from the teams (see link above). It will be interesting to see what actually comes of this, and if anything will be done to stop it.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
tommykl

Re: FIA technical chief to join Renault

Post by tommykl »

There's no surprise as to why this is controversial. Budkowski has knowledge of every innovation that F1 teams have attempted to introduce, and bringing said knowledge as well as undoubtedly the best idea of what is legal (and most importantly illegal). This gives Renault a tremendous advantage, because they now have information on possible future developments, as well as how to legally implement them.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

As with any development in Formula 1, the rest of the teams are throwing their toys out of the pram only because they didn't manage to do it first.

I don't think the wishes of the other Formula 1 teams will have any chance of overruling employment law. It might be considered ethically dubious, but we're not talking about a switch from the public to private sector here.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
The Chicane

Post by The Chicane »

I don't see how the teams can stop this from happening its fair game to Renault in my opinion, maybe the other teams should of hired him first.
RENAULT CLASSIC (1977 - 2017)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11 : Drivers' titles
12 : Constructors' titles
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Just seems like Renault were the first team to think of it and now everyone is mad that they didn't think of it first.

Mind you, I would have thought the gardening leave would be much longer.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
mario

Post by mario »

watka wrote:Just seems like Renault were the first team to think of it and now everyone is mad that they didn't think of it first.

Mind you, I would have thought the gardening leave would be much longer.

It seems that is because Budkowski is based in the FIA's offices in Geneva and his contract is therefore governed by Swiss employment law. The maximum "gardening leave" period permitted under Swiss law seems to be three months, so the FIA cannot impose a longer "gardening leave" period.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I think we're losing sight of the real issue here, which is what Marcin Budkowski's garden is going to look like when the three months are up. If he's got a proper garden then I'd recommend planting Prunus x subhirtella now, because it flowers in winter and by January it should be an explosion of pink somewhere along the lines of when Sergio Pérez and Esteban Ocon have a particularly violent collision. No worries if all he's got is a window-box on a tenth-floor flat, because this tree was developed in Japan and should be suitable for bonsai. Failing that, there must be a few herbs that don't mind the extreme cold of a Swiss winter that could be harvested in the spring and sprinkled on a steak.

I'm sure we could get Alan Titchmarsh and Charlie Dimmock to give him a hand as well.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:I'm sure we could get Charlie Dimmock to give him a hand as well.

Cor blimey guv'nor. Time for a cold shower now, methinks. :oops:
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13216 ... ontroversy

Love how he says they have a good track record of being fair, just no one mention Singapore 2008...
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
mario

Post by mario »

Having initially struck a bullish position, it sounds as if Renault might now be changing tack - Abiteboul has mentioned that he is in talks with the FIA about potentially putting Budkowski's start date at Renault back by an additional three months. Whilst Abiteboul has said that they "not want to be aggressive" in relation to Budkowski's start date, I wonder if Renault have been leant on by another party to delay Budkowski's start date. https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rena ... 62025/?s=1
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"