2017 "30 Minutes over Tokyo" Grand Prix

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Ataxia
Not Important

2017 "30 Minutes over Tokyo" Grand Prix

Post by Ataxia »

If you enjoyed the early-riser of Malaysia, your alarm clock's in line for another workout with the Japanese Grand Prix! Two 6am Sundays in a row - aren't we lucky? This is purely from a European perspective, other continents' experiences may vary.

The Formula 1 party drifts from Sepang to Suzuka, the calendar's only figure-of-eight circuit assuming it had been drawn by someone with no prior knowledge of numerals. Famous corners include Spoon, which looks disarmingly unspoonlike, the Hairpin, and the Casio Triangle.

If you read our article from a couple of weeks ago you'll remember that the Casio Triangle was the site of one of F1's most famous collisions, where Bertrand Gachot and Ukyo Katayama came together. I'm sure there have been similar incidents...

Suzuka is owned by Honda, which makes this something of a home race for McLaren - at least, in the same way that every north-eastern circuit on the NASCAR calendar is a home race for Martin Truex Jr.

Japan is known for various things, including wacky TV gameshows and animated cartoon concoctions (Japanimation) which some people enjoy perhaps a little too much.

"We now return to Battling Seizure Robots."

Japan has its own top-line single seater series - Super Formula - which has recently provided Stoffel Vandoorne and Pierre Gasly to Formula 1 (technically, at least). It's not quite the halcyon days of the early 90s, where plenty of drivers used the Japanese series as an F1 springboard, but it's something, right?

There are currently no Japanese drivers on the F1 grid, although we've been blessed by the talent of Kamui Kobayashi and Indy 500 winner Takuma Sato within the past 10 years.

There's also been some less-than-mega drivers from the nation, including: Yuji Ide, the first holder of a stewards' office loyalty card; Hideki Noda and Toshio Suzuki, who participated in five Larrousse outings between them, and medical car enthusiast Taki Inoue, who has since carved out a niche as being absolutely batshit mental on Twitter.

Credit to the team formerly known as Lotus for making this actually happen.

So, that's your very loose guide to the Japanese Grand Prix, and totally wasn't just an excuse to rope in Simpsons quotes. What a brave corporate logo! I accept the challenge of Mr Sparkle!
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Bobby Doorknobs

Re: 2017 "30 Minutes over Tokyo" Grand Prix

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Ah, Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo, the episode that contains my favourite film joke:

Marge wrote:Come on, Homer, Japan will be fun! You liked Rashomon.

Homer wrote:That's not how I remember it...
#FreeGonzo
Dexter249

Post by Dexter249 »

2017 "Wangan Midnight and Initial D" Memorial Grand Prix

No seriously that's my name for the GP this year (Initial D is rip.)
FIAT Group, finding loopholes in the FIA rulebook since it's inception.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Simtek wrote:Ah, Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo, the episode that contains my favourite film joke:

Marge wrote:Come on, Homer, Japan will be fun! You liked Rashomon.

Homer wrote:That's not how I remember it...

I hadn't seen the episode before. I'll just step in and confirm that this is a superb joke.

Carry on, nothing else to see here ;)
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Suzuka is a figure-of-eight track, whose layout is often portrayed as if the eight is on its side, like the symbol for infinity, which in Japanese is Mugen, who is known as a car tuner for Honda, who owns a race track called Suzuka. And therein lies me going full circle. Or it it full figure-of-eight?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
mario

Post by mario »

Ataxia wrote:There are currently no Japanese drivers on the F1 grid, although we've been blessed by the talent of Kamui Kobayashi and Indy 500 winner Takuma Sato within the past 10 years.

I'm surprised that you didn't mention that Matsushita does at least have a role as a development driver for McLaren, as well as having taken part in an official test for Sauber (in the few moments that the Sauber-Honda deal remained alive).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Dexter249 wrote:2017 "Wangan Midnight and Initial D" Memorial Grand Prix

No seriously that's my name for the GP this year (Initial D is rip.)

That would only be the case if the race was running in the nineties. Also Initial D is too heavily sponsored by Toyota and Mazda.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Ataxia wrote:What a brave corporate logo! I accept the challenge of Mr Sparkle!

AWESOMU POWER! BESTO WASHUUUUUUUUU!

They did their research. The katakana is all correct, or as correct as it can ever be within its own limitations.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Lots and lots of rain so far, which is fine by me! Lots of interruptions, too. Let's just hope the drama has been used up on Friday. Massive crash by Sainz too. With his penalty leaving him 20th on the grid, he might already be a shoe-in for ROTR unless he pulls a great result out of his arse.

Also, probable grid penalty for Bottas. If he wasn't already being written out of the championship after the last few races, I think we can definitely say he needs a miracle in Suzuka this weekend to stay in the hunt. :chilton:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
mario

Post by mario »

Rob Dylan wrote:Lots and lots of rain so far, which is fine by me! Lots of interruptions, too. Let's just hope the drama has been used up on Friday. Massive crash by Sainz too. With his penalty leaving him 20th on the grid, he might already be a shoe-in for ROTR unless he pulls a great result out of his arse.

Also, probable grid penalty for Bottas. If he wasn't already being written out of the championship after the last few races, I think we can definitely say he needs a miracle in Suzuka this weekend to stay in the hunt. :chilton:

It's now confirmed that Bottas will definitely have to change his gearbox and take a penalty this weekend, and with it you have to say that Bottas's already rapidly receding hopes for the WDC will probably vanish after this weekend unless both Hamilton and Vettel DNF.

I do suspect that this is probably tying in with Pirelli's decision that they could go for a more aggressive approach in the latter part of the season and their decision to bring softer tyres - there were reports in the past that he did sometimes struggle to set his car up on the softer compound tyres, and that might be why his relative pace has dropped off after the summer break.

Speaking of penalties, Sainz will also be taking penalties for using extra power unit components - he was already going to start at the back anyway, so that shunt in practise probably won't hurt his chances in the race.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

This will be Jolyon's last GP for Renault. https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/palm ... lt-962676/
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

https://www.renaultsport.com/renault-sp ... ml?lang=en

This is the worst story of the season, Renault, HOW DARE U...

RIP Jolyon Palmer's F1 car, 2016-2017, NEVER FORGETTI
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Guess Jolyon must... Jog on. *slips on shades and walks off screen*
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

So they reckon Pierre Gasly will continue at Toro Rosso in Austin instead of driving in the last Super Formula race weekend, where he's only half a point off the top of the table. That's the last chance he'll get at a title for... a large number of years, and it's going to be passed up without a fight.

I can't help thinking that's a bad move.
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
mario

Post by mario »

dinizintheoven wrote:So they reckon Pierre Gasly will continue at Toro Rosso in Austin instead of driving in the last Super Formula race weekend, where he's only half a point off the top of the table. That's the last chance he'll get at a title for... a large number of years, and it's going to be passed up without a fight.

At the same time, with Sainz going to Renault in a fortnight, they've not really got that many alternative options that they can draft in at short notice - the only real way that they could have avoided this would have been if Sainz was stopped from going to Renault in the first place.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

mario wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:So they reckon Pierre Gasly will continue at Toro Rosso in Austin instead of driving in the last Super Formula race weekend, where he's only half a point off the top of the table. That's the last chance he'll get at a title for... a large number of years, and it's going to be passed up without a fight.

At the same time, with Sainz going to Renault in a fortnight, they've not really got that many alternative options that they can draft in at short notice - the only real way that they could have avoided this would have been if Sainz was stopped from going to Renault in the first place.

Gasly has said himself that he'd rather get more time in an F1 car than go for the Super Formula title, so I don't think it really matters that much to him anyway.
#FreeGonzo
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Ferrari... just... :facepalm: :badoer:
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Massa getting in the way of the battle for the lead on the last lap again...

Is he doing this on purpose now? :facepalm:
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

With the rumour mill about Honda being determined for Gasly to see out Super Formula, I predict Sebastian Buemi. Won FE and placed high in LMP1, has tested for Red Bull and driven in the championship. Easy fix as still part of Red Bull family.
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
mario

Post by mario »

good_Ralf wrote:Ferrari... just... :facepalm: :badoer:

And it sounds as if it was all for want of a spark plug that probably costs no more than a few quid - the end of this season is a little reminiscent of the 1985 season and, just as reliability problems saw Alboreto's title challenge fall apart, so now we are seeing Vettel's hopes being similarly dashed. It does also seem to have a parallel with Marchionne intervening in Ferrari's quality assurance department after the Malaysian GP and ordering that it is reorganised to bring in more experienced staff - a decision reportedly made in anger that may prove to be a mistake.

It's surprising that they are having such problems now though - Vettel effectively had two brand new engines after the Malaysian GP, since he had a second engine fitted to the car between qualifying and the race, so wear and tear shouldn't be a major issue. OK, he probably was pushing his race engine hard in Malaysia - Ferrari reportedly went for a very aggressive fuel strategy there to help him climb back through the field - but with a completely fresh unit that only needs to last for three races, he could afford to do that.

sswishbone wrote:With the rumour mill about Honda being determined for Gasly to see out Super Formula, I predict Sebastian Buemi. Won FE and placed high in LMP1, has tested for Red Bull and driven in the championship. Easy fix as still part of Red Bull family.

How many of Red Bull's former drivers are still affiliated with them apart from Buemi? He seems to be the only driver who is shown as still being part of their team on their website.

There is some rather fevered speculation going on that Honda could look to place one of their Indycar drivers at Toro Rosso - and yes, that does mean that Sato's name has been mentioned as a possible candidate - but I do agree that the most plausible candidate would be Buemi given his long term working relationship with the team and, given that he has been undertaking simulator work for the team, it should be easier for him to familiarise himself with the car.
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

mario wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:
sswishbone wrote:With the rumour mill about Honda being determined for Gasly to see out Super Formula, I predict Sebastian Buemi. Won FE and placed high in LMP1, has tested for Red Bull and driven in the championship. Easy fix as still part of Red Bull family.

How many of Red Bull's former drivers are still affiliated with them apart from Buemi? He seems to be the only driver who is shown as still being part of their team on their website.

There is some rather fevered speculation going on that Honda could look to place one of their Indycar drivers at Toro Rosso - and yes, that does mean that Sato's name has been mentioned as a possible candidate - but I do agree that the most plausible candidate would be Buemi given his long term working relationship with the team and, given that he has been undertaking simulator work for the team, it should be easier for him to familiarise himself with the car.

I wonder if Toyota has a say in allowing Buemi to drive for to-be-Honda team..?

I also doubt it's Sato if they go for a Indycar driver since there are other candidates with more recent F1 experience - Alexander Rossi maybe to attract American fans?
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Just call me Nostradamus, eh? Anyway, Toro Rosso could do a lot worse than put Jolyon Palmer in their car for Austin, as a one-off, amongst the other suggestions.

As for the loose spark plug, it made me think of Michele Alboreto's horrific end to 1985 (as did Mario), but then, Seb has four titles to his name and that was Alboreto's only shot at it. And as the spark plug is such a cheap part, I'll bet Damon Hill had something to say afterwards on the Sky analysis, alongside all the reverential gushing about Lewis that Sky watchers have convinced me will be happening long into the night. Just drop in a bit there about losing an easy win that nobody would have expected...
Samster

Post by Samster »

Took one look at the results. Yeah screw this season, F1 see you in 2018 this season is done for me. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Poor old Vettel, and poor old us in terms of getting a title fight. It's almost unbelievable. As Brundle said in commentary this morning, it must be about 25 years since the last time a spark plug failed on an F1 car.
BigG80

Post by BigG80 »

Actually the last time I can remember was Vettel in Bahrain the year it opened the season and had that long version of the layout. 2010?
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

That particular race was so bad it has been DELETED!!!