The 2017 Grand Prix of Austin presented by FORMULA 1®

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Ataxia
Not Important

The 2017 Grand Prix of Austin presented by FORMULA 1®

Post by Ataxia »

Weeell, looky-here! Looks like it's gonna be one o' them weekends where them Europeens be struttin' around God's own state of Texas! Form'la 1's back in town, which is kinda like IndyCar but with more technical gizmos and doo-hickeys than the brand new Chevy Silverado. Ain't that somethin'?

So what can I tell y'all about Texas? Well, for starters, everything's bigger in Texas. I ain't bein' vulgar, no sir, but you member that prize watermelon y'all thought was big? Over here, our watermelons are so huge you could claim it as a private domicile...and fill any trespassers full of lead. Or claw marks. Depends how you interpret the right to bear arms.

He's not waiving that right, he's waving his left.

Let's go back through the history of Form'la 1 races in the grand ol' US of A. Many many years ago, when Richard Petty had still yet to be crowned as The King, the Indy 500 used to be a part of the F1 calendar. I know, crazy right? Then it came off after the 1960 edition, and the US graciously hosted them boys from Europe at Sebring and Riverside before The Glen picked up the baton.

Now, the Glen was a mighty fine track, but it started getting unsafe as the F1 crew chiefs started playing with tape, wedge and aerodynamics. There was also the US Grand Prix West over in Long Beach, but the drivers were more interested in getting bronze over silverware, lemme tell ya.
It's pretty long, I guess...

Then, the races in the US started drifting about like a...well, a drifter. Ending up in Vegas like one of them bachelor parties, the organizers threw together a track in the Caesars Palace parking lot. Puttin' it all on black, so to speak. 1982 was a grand ol' year for America, with Detroit putting their hands up to do a third US race. Sweet land of liberty.

In 1984, and I ain't talkin' about no book, they got rid of Long Beach and brought the race to the Lone Star, holding it in Dallas for a year. Detroit was the only city to wave the Stars 'n' Stripes until Phoenix replaced it in '89, lasting three seasons before li'l Bernie tore up the contract.

After a hiatus, the Grand Prix came back in 2000 for a road-course race at Indianapolis. People seemed to be okay with it, unless you're Ralf Schumacher who was hitting the final corner exit before JR Hildebrand made it cool...wait, that was a different corner? Damn Europeans, and their clockwise circuits...
ImageImage
Probably a good job he never tried doing the 500...

Now we're doing the business in Texas again, driving around the Circuit of the Americas! There ain't much scenery, but who needs that when you got a darn big tower and the red, white and blue painted all over the place? Be wary of sudden wind gusts, though - those can change championships, I hear!

So, y'all enjoy the Form'la 1 race in Texas! Me? Them NASCAR play-offs ain't gonna watch themselves...
Although they just ain't gonna be the same...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
dinizintheoven

Re: The 2017 Grand Prix of Austin presented by FORMULA 1®

Post by dinizintheoven »

Texas: known for oil barons who wear ten-gallon hats and bolo ties, lots of guns, rattlesnakes, everything being bigger than everything else, and also this...

Billy Bob Hamburger Jr. III from Kennedale, in the Dallas-Fort Worth area wrote:Myrtle? That'n there crazy gaaah over the road with the gaaahd-damn un-'Murican 'lectric hippy car's hosin' down bitsa old computers agin!

I endorse The 8-Bit Guy and all his works. Even if he is a Commodore man.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
The Chicane

Post by The Chicane »

COTA is probably one of the best modern tracks on the calendar.
RENAULT CLASSIC (1977 - 2017)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11 : Drivers' titles
12 : Constructors' titles
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

The Chicane wrote:COTA is probably one of the best modern tracks on the calendar.

Hah, I feel the opposite! I can forgive the fact that it's essentially a cut-and-paste job of everyone's favourite bits from the world's circuits: the opening hill climb stolen from Austria, the Maggotts-Becketts clone, the mirrored Hockenheim stadium and Istanbul Turn 8.

What I can't forgive is the complete lack of scenery. At least Caesars Palace had an excuse for looking like a car park, since it was actually was one. Just...give me interesting buildings! Trees! Anything!
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Little known fact: Ataxia had to eat three large, fatty, greasy burgers, the kind that disintergrate in your hand after the first bite, covered in bacon, egg, bacon, pickles, more bacon, stacks of melted cheeses, more bacon and whatever 'special sauce' for breakfast, lunch and dinner just to summon enough FREEDOM spirit just to write that preview.

Okay, maybe not so overboard....just lunch and dinner.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

So the purple Pirelli ultra-softs are going to be pink this year, to raise awareness for something.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

WaffleCat wrote:Little known fact: Ataxia had to eat three large, fatty, greasy burgers, the kind that disintergrate in your hand after the first bite, covered in bacon, egg, bacon, pickles, more bacon, stacks of melted cheeses, more bacon and whatever 'special sauce' for breakfast, lunch and dinner just to summon enough FREEDOM spirit just to write that preview.

Okay, maybe not so overboard....just lunch and dinner.

Breakfast was pancakes with syrup and bacon, and more syrup. HFCS with artificial colouring, of course - what do you think this is, Canada?
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AustralianStig wrote:So the purple Pirelli ultra-softs are going to be pink this year, to raise awareness for something.

I think it's to raise awareness of Pippa Mann's entry at the Indy 500 each year. By raising awareness, she hopes to add more races to her race schedule.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I swear Phoenix only lasted for 2 years. Or am I being stupid?
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

dr-baker wrote:
AustralianStig wrote:So the purple Pirelli ultra-softs are going to be pink this year, to raise awareness for something.

I think it's to raise awareness of Pippa Mann's entry at the Indy 500 each year. By raising awareness, she hopes to add more races to her race schedule.

Well that is a campaign I can get behind!
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
girry

Post by girry »

Ataxia wrote:
The Chicane wrote:COTA is probably one of the best modern tracks on the calendar.

Hah, I feel the opposite! I can forgive the fact that it's essentially a cut-and-paste job of everyone's favourite bits from the world's circuits: the opening hill climb stolen from Austria, the Maggotts-Becketts clone, the mirrored Hockenheim stadium and Istanbul Turn 8.

What I can't forgive is the complete lack of scenery. At least Caesars Palace had an excuse for looking like a car park, since it was actually was one. Just...give me interesting buildings! Trees! Anything!

I agree, don't like it much either. Coupled with the elevation the track profile itself is fairly nice (although the originally planned, more flowing profile was even better - but then the FIA slapped the Americans and reminded them that a FIA standard circuit cannot possibly be that exciting! Because...eh, because rules! And regulations!)...but it's just in the wrong landscape.

The huge tarmac runoffs with their seizure-inducing paintings are not of help, either.
when you're dead people start listening
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I think, after having five races at this venue, that I haven't actually seen any of them on screen live. Every year it's either not getting shown live, the stream doesn't work or something, and I either miss it or have to resort to radio. I couldn't even tell you how many corners there are other than the first one, and everything I recall from races has been from replays. Apparently there have been some amazing races here, but I'll be damned if I can remember anything that happened other than some results on a screen.

I guess its just representative of the Sky era in Britain 2012 onwards.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

giraurd wrote:
Ataxia wrote:

I agree, don't like it much either. Coupled with the elevation the track profile itself is fairly nice (although the originally planned, more flowing profile was even better - but then the FIA slapped the Americans and reminded them that a FIA standard circuit cannot possibly be that exciting! Because...eh, because rules! And regulations!)...but it's just in the wrong landscape.

The huge tarmac runoffs with their seizure-inducing paintings are not of help, either.

That's interesting, I don't remember the track layout changing from the original proposal. What changes did they make?
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
girry

Post by girry »

Wasn't quite as different as I recalled, but still - this fast version of the esses would have been Suzuka/Silverstone-esque, whereas the profile it turned out to be is a bit mickey mouse already; and the original "fast in, slow out" profile might have made the corner I call "Turkey T8 with not enough entry speed" a bit more interesting, as well.
when you're dead people start listening
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Here it is, ready to make us feel proud
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Yeah, I like Austin more than Shanghai and the redesigned Mexico City and Sochi and others, but after turn 10 it's as bad as any of those for me. I'd honestly find it more interesting if it was flat out from turn 11 to turn 20.
#FreeGonzo
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

The problem with COTA is not that it's bad. It's just...so goddamn characterless, even compared to other Tilkedromes.

Say what you want about his other tracks, at least they're unique in a sense. Valencia's insane final sector, the last turn at Yeongam, the snail turns on Shanghai. Each track at least has something characterful about them.

COTA, on the other hand...feels just bland. I don't know what it is, but it just doesn't stand out as a track that would stick in my mind. It's a good track, don't get me wrong, but it just feels...tacky.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I'm getting more than a touch concerned about Kvyat's mental health after quotes like this, the last 18 months have been horrible for him. The situation is made worse by the poisonous F1 fanbase on social media. He needs to get out of Red Bull and find somewhere where he'll be appreciated and actually have proper support. It doesn't have to be F1, there are plenty of other series where he can thrive and rebuild his reputation. :(

Meanwhile, I bet all the Kiwis tuning in to watch Brendon Hartley's debut are gonna be impressed.

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I can't think of a better reponse to that than Buxton's...
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
mario

Post by mario »

So, another race and yet another problem for Vettel - during FP2, he started complaining to the team that the handling of the car felt odd, particularly around the front axle of the car. Although they couldn't find a definite fault when checking the car in the garage, the team have decided on a precautionary chassis change anyway, putting him slightly on the back foot. https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vett ... ms-968141/
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

On one hand I feel sorry for Gasly for having missed a weekend for no reason in the end. But on the other hand, I'm enjoying all these driver changes that have been going on for the last few races. It adds at least a little variety and intrigue to watch Toro Rosso struggle to find competent drivers, and something other than the "championship" to focus on.

Although I don't want him (or Hamilton for that matter) to win the championship, I'd at least like Vettel to drag it on for a little longer, if only to make Hamilton sweat a tiny bit.
mario

Post by mario »

In the past, he had indicated that he would have preferred to race in Austin rather than in the Super Formula finale.

By the sounds of things, it was the senior management within Red Bull who seem to have made the decision for Gasly, with suggestions that Tost was the one who made that choice in order to trial a new driver (perhaps to give Red Bull the option to drop Kvyat from Toro Rosso). It is a shame that it has not worked out for him, though it could of course work out very nicely for Hartley if they do consider replacing Kvyat with him next year.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I agree that this is definitely in Toro Rosso's favour. They don't seem to want Kvyat around but keep him around anyway. Using the excuse of Super Formula, they can do a try-out of a possible replacement, and if Hartley does well this weekend, they have a legitimate option to replace Daniil with.
mario

Post by mario »

Rob Dylan wrote:I agree that this is definitely in Toro Rosso's favour. They don't seem to want Kvyat around but keep him around anyway. Using the excuse of Super Formula, they can do a try-out of a possible replacement, and if Hartley does well this weekend, they have a legitimate option to replace Daniil with.

It will have potentially also helped keep Honda on their side as well, even if Honda did say that they were happy for Gasly to race in Austin, which is likely to have been another component of Tost's efforts to keep Honda sweet (perhaps in the hope of persuading Honda to open their wallets a bit more and give the team a bit more sponsorship - the suggestion being that, so far, Honda have been rather less generous to Toro Rosso than they were to McLaren).
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Found this on ESPN of all places

Brendon Hartley's grid penalty on debut looks bad enough on the surface -- the news of it had emerged before he'd completed a lap of the COTA circuit. The limit of four power units is applied to each car, not the driver, which is why Hartley gets the penalty. Initially there was confusion about why Hartley would serve a penalty and this has exposed another very bizarre quirk in F1's regulations. Hartley replaced Pierre Gasly for this weekend, and Gasly replaced Daniil Kvyat for Malaysia and Japan. That means Hartley is technically in the car Kvyat started the season with. Kvyat, meanwhile, is back this weekend and technically in the car Carlos Sainz (now at Renault) started the year in. So, in effect, Hartley is serving a penalty for a change made to Kvyat's original car, while Kvyat doesn't have one in Sainz's old car. Make sense? Didn't think so.

WTF???

Also both Haas' in the drop zone. No beuno.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Michael Buffer is the greatest thing to happen to F1 since the 3.0 litre formula.

Lance Stroll "The Heartbreaker"? To who? Williams shareholders? Lol

But I loved how he called Force India "The Fiercest Rivarly in Formula 1".

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Red Bull: "We're on pace for one of our best weekends ever!"

Renault Engine: "Hold my beer."

AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Good stuff at the moment by the Torpedo, quite surprised
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I am SO ****ing bored of commentators getting overexcited every time Verstappen overtakes someone. Ben Edwards nearly came in his pants just now. He was driving a car that was competitive on that circuit with tyres that were much fresher than Kimi's - it would have been more surprising if that DIDN'T happen.

Yet naturally, because he's driving a Ferrari rather than a Red Bull or Mercedes, Seb's rather good instinctive move on Bottas 'looked like Bottas was working for him' according to DC. Utter horsehit.

I've got a Sky Sports offer waiting to be taken up and I will do so. Not keen on Crofty but one good commentator is better than none.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Karma - C4's decision to always go to an ad break directly after the race backfired spectacularly there, didn't it? Ha ha ha ha.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

I'm done. Bathplug off FIA. Are you bathplugging serious? Only driver who did anything today and you penalize him? Bathplug the bathplug off.

mario

Post by mario »

Wallio wrote:I'm done. Bathplug off FIA. Are you bathplugging serious? Only driver who did anything today and you penalize him? Bathplug the bathplug off.

As soon as I heard that news, I was expecting a rather sharp reaction from the fan base.

On a purely technical level, by cutting across the top of the kerb and across the inside of the corner, Verstappen did technically pass Kimi off the track and therefore the move could be said to have been illegal. Furthermore, if they had let the result stand, I would not have been entirely surprised if Ferrari might have then launched a formal protest against the result.

That said, it still leaves a rather bitter taste in the mouth - it's also surprising how quickly the stewards reacted there, whilst most of the events during the earlier stages of the race took significantly longer to check (then again, I guess they wanted to avoid having Max on the podium only to then take the trophy away later if they ruled against him).

As an aside though, I wonder if Max might slightly regret his decision to fight Hamilton for the lead when he really didn't need to given that they were both on completely different strategies. On that particular lap, that fight with Hamilton cost Max about two seconds, if not slightly more - I do wonder if perhaps that little bit of time lost earlier in the race might have then cost him the chance later on to pip Vettel when he made that late pitstop, and given hima chance to close the gap to Kimi earlier in the race then he managed to do so.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

NBC showed a few shots of people doing the same during FP1 with not a peep from the stewards. Plus apparently in the driver's briefing the curb is considered "on track" so Max didn't really have all four off then, did he?

FIA Ferrari Interventional Assissance

Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Doesn't bother me in the slightest, especially as it has no bearing on either championship. I was more hacked off by Ericsson getting a penalty after Magnussen's latest bout of stupidity!
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Also that was a trash way to tell him, by having Kimi and the Merc guys do it.

dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Tinfoil hats at the ready...

The U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms wrote:Hey y'all stewards, what'n the hell d'y'all think you're doin' allowin' some 20-year-old minor onto the podium where there's alcohol he's old enough to drink in every country 'cept ours?

Mika Salo wrote:You are right, Mr. ATF man. PENALTY!
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Fatherly bias aside, he's right. Seb or Kimi or God forbid Hammy would never get that penalty.

Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Yes while other drivers may have cut that corner, None of them done it to overtake another car.