2017 Mexicocomo Grand Prix Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Ataxia
Not Important

2017 Mexicocomo Grand Prix Thread

Post by Ataxia »

Checo gets there fast, but sadly Guti's slow...

It's time for the Mexican GP thread. Honestly? I'm not really feeling this today. The thread's got to be opened, but I don't feel like piss-arsing about with spurious factoids and trivia about Mexico. Just pretend, for this week.

Celis Jr's doing practice for Force India, in a kind of ersatz-Gutierrez role (yet more hopeless, even though he's a terribly nice chap) to give the fans in the crowd someone other than Checo to cheer for.

Other than that, I got nothing. I'm sorry.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 2017 Mexicocomo Grand Prix Thread

Post by pasta_maldonado »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2g1yrGputA

Mansell on Berger 1990. Better than anything we'll see this weekend.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

pasta_maldonado wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2g1yrGputA

I honestly doubt we will see someone win from 15th either. In the end, Prost was the greatest of them all.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Klon wrote:

I honestly doubt we will see someone win from 15th either. In the end, Prost was the greatest of them all.

13th....
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Did you ever hear

the

tragedy

of Esteban Gutierrez

the wise?

I thought not.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Rob Dylan wrote:Did you ever hear

the

tragedy

of Esteban Gutierrez

the wise?

I thought not.

It's not a story Hamilton fans would tell you.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Klon wrote:

I thought that was Barrichello? No?
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Mexico City track - a bit different , with excellent travel links . The main bus station for travel to the East and South is visible from the track, and the airport is close .
But its got a stupidly long straight.
I hear they've put in some kerbs and lumps to prevent corner cutting....(Lewis..) lets see how that works out
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

AndreaModa wrote:
Klon wrote:

I thought that was Barrichello? No?

No, you're thinking of Wehrlein.
#FreeGonzo
mario

Post by mario »

WeirdKerr wrote:
Klon wrote:

13th....

Only one driver is listed as winning from 15th place on the grid, and rather awkwardly that driver is Alonso in the 2008 Singapore GP.

AndreaModa wrote:I thought that was Barrichello? No?

His win in the 2000 German GP was from even further back on the grid (18th place)
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Watson at Long Beach says hello.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Haas staking their claim early on for ROTR. It'll take something bad in the race for me to not vote them.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Vettel lines up first on the grid.

Alongside him, Verstappen.

This championship's ending in style, I can just see it. :facepalm:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
IceG

Post by IceG »

FullMetalJack wrote:Haas staking their claim early on for ROTR. It'll take something bad in the race for me to not vote them.

Like all the Renault (sorry that's Tag Heuer (c) Christian Horner) engines blowing up?
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/132732/why-f1-is-braced-for-2017EURTMs-toughest-gp-yet

Autosport's putting their money on a race of rejectful proportions. Tbh, even if Hamilton retires with an issue and Vettel wins a boring GP, I'd prefer that to Hamilton getting away this whole season without any issues.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Rob Dylan wrote:https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/132732/why-f1-is-braced-for-2017EURTMs-toughest-gp-yet

Autosport's putting their money on a race of rejectful proportions. Tbh, even if Hamilton retires with an issue and Vettel wins a boring GP, I'd prefer that to Hamilton getting away this whole season without any issues.

And then Hamilton gets a brand new engine for the last two races and can afford to run quali spec for both races.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Oh cock. That's all over after one lap then. I KNEW that would happen - Vettel had to go for it and Max was always going to squeeze him at turn 1.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

And hammy immediately thinks it was intentional. Don't give your fans any more reason to be tinfoil hat wearers Lewis!

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Wallio wrote:And hammy immediately thinks it was intentional. Don't give your fans any more reason to be tinfoil hat wearers Lewis!

The person you are fighting for the championship (and who really needs you to DNF to keep the Championship hopes alive) runs into the back of you and gives you a flat at the beginning of the race. I'd be querying if it was intentional or not too.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

A shame we didn't end up with a closer title fight after how it seemed it might go up until Singapore. Hamilton always seemed nailed-on after that. Fingers crossed for a closer battle between two or more drivers next year.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Fetzie wrote:
Wallio wrote:And hammy immediately thinks it was intentional. Don't give your fans any more reason to be tinfoil hat wearers Lewis!

The person you are fighting for the championship (and who really needs you to DNF to keep the Championship hopes alive) runs into the back of you and gives you a flat at the beginning of the race. I'd be querying if it was intentional or not too.

Even if you believed your opponent hit you, he's now in P19, why would that be his plan? Lol

All the brainless Hammy-fans are online demanding Vettel be excluded ala Schumi in '97. Do they even realize he's champ? And in a pretty elite club at that?

Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Hamilton wins the championship. Yay...

Finished 9th behind a Haas. At least we can have that one small victory.
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

How on earth nobody saw this win coming?

IT'S THE KVYAT STAT, B**CH!!
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:How on earth nobody saw this win coming?

so unless the torpedo gets taken on and then dropped by a another team Meksh will never win another grand prix?
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Which dear old Crofty only mentioned about 50 times. It's such a shame that we didn't get an actual race beyond the first lap really, the only fun being 'which Renault engine will go bang next' and since Max's never did, even that wasn't much fun.

And of course Vettel didn't hit Hamilton deliberately - what could he possibly gain from that when he had to finish at least 2nd? Even Sky's Lewis loving crowd agreed on that!
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Barbazza wrote:It's such a shame that we didn't get an actual race beyond the first lap

Did we watch the same race? There were battles throughout the whole field, wheel to wheel racing, and drivers had to work hard for their overtakes. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole affair.

Or do you only watch to see who wins?
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

AustralianStig wrote:
Barbazza wrote:It's such a shame that we didn't get an actual race beyond the first lap

Did we watch the same race? There were battles throughout the whole field, wheel to wheel racing, and drivers had to work hard for their overtakes. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole affair.

You certainly saw a more exciting race than I did :D I mean, there were a few battles occasionally, but most of the overtakes I saw were DRS ones on the start straight. Once I realised Hamilton was going to win the championship even if he were stuck behind Ericsson the whole day, most of the race was just a sour taste in my mouth.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

AustralianStig wrote:

Watching football clubs fight over relegation is dull too.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

AustralianStig wrote:Did we watch the same race? There were battles throughout the whole field, wheel to wheel racing, and drivers had to work hard for their overtakes. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole affair.

There's no need to be patronising. As Rob says, a great deal of the overtaking was the usual DRS assisted jobs in the same place and the championship excitement was over with almost immediately.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

WeirdKerr wrote:

so unless the torpedo gets taken on and then dropped by a another team Meksh will never win another grand prix?

Verstappen backers are negotiating for Kvyat sharing the drive with another driver in unnamed team.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

I liked the race. There were some dull parts, sure, but overall there was a good amount of battling, thanks to the DRS-weakening lack of air. And the championship was tense, at least for a while, which is certainly more than we were expecting.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Spectoremg wrote:
AustralianStig wrote:

I beg to differ. Once the UEFA Nations League starts, I'll be much more interested in watching Andorra vs. Luxembourg than I will be watching Germany vs. France.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
mario

Post by mario »

Wallio wrote:
Fetzie wrote:

Even if you believed your opponent hit you, he's now in P19, why would that be his plan? Lol

All the brainless Hammy-fans are online demanding Vettel be excluded ala Schumi in '97. Do they even realize he's champ? And in a pretty elite club at that?

I must admit that I have only caught glimpses of this in retrospect (having been on the road at the time) but, to play devil's advocate, I can see why the thought might have briefly crossed Hamilton's mind at the time given that, in the build up to the race, quite a few people were talking about how Vettel's best chance of extending the championship fight would be if Hamilton retired from this race.

Now, when he hit Hamilton's car, Vettel did damage the floor and diffuser of Hamilton's car - if you combine the likely handling imbalance with the loss of control that would have occurred as the tyre deflated, I expect Hamilton's first thought would have been to wonder how heavily damaged the car was and whether he could complete the race, whilst at the same time it would not have been clear to him how heavily Vettel's car might have been damaged given that Vettel would have been streaking up the road ahead of him after that clash.

Similarly, the clash with Vettel in Baku might have also been playing on his mind in that situation - if you have already been involved in an incident where your rival has deliberately hit you in one race, then you might be more inclined to think he had deliberately hit you again.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
girry

Post by girry »

tommykl wrote:
Spectoremg wrote:
AustralianStig wrote:Did we watch the same race? There were battles throughout the whole field, wheel to wheel racing, and drivers had to work hard for their overtakes. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole affair.

I beg to differ. Once the UEFA Nations League starts, I'll be much more interested in watching Andorra vs. Luxembourg than I will be watching Germany vs. France.

I agree to a degree. But the problem with my current interest level in F1 backmarkers is that since Manor went bust, there's no Andorra or Luxembourg left to root for. Sauber are currently the worst team and they are more like Bulgaria. And as a casual follower you don't want to watch Sauber or Bulgaria when they are at the bottom, because you still remember their glory days which were much better.
when you're dead people start listening
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

hence why europa league is tons more interesting than champions league. And so are lower divisions. You support with whom you connect, not with whom is the most succesful.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!