2017 Abadabbi...Abby Dabby...Abou Diaby...Yas Marina Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Ataxia
Not Important

2017 Abadabbi...Abby Dabby...Abou Diaby...Yas Marina Thread

Post by Ataxia »

Say "yaaas" to Yas Marina. Situated in the United Arab Emirates, the Yas Marina circuit is a big blue carpark with a massive lighty-up whale/aeroplane/phallus structure.

The track is not very interesting, but you can kind of tolerate it because it's the end of the year. It also looks pretty under the lights and fireworks, so it's popular among the moth community.

The crowd under the lights at Turn Whatsitcalled. It's pretty cool, I guess...

But what IS Abby Dabby?

Abbey Derby is the capital of the UAE, which is in the same oil-bothering ballpark as Bahrain and Qatar. In the Middle East. Come on, did nobody teach you Geography?

Actually, I've just seen the best "euphemism" for oil money: hydrocarbon wealth. It's almost poetic.

Although a relatively recent addition to the affluency club, Abba Debbie is still jam-packed with cultural monuments and other cool landmarks. The Sheikh Zayed Mosque, although apparently derided by 52% of the British population, looks pretty damn sweet.

Looking pristine, Christine.

Abu Dhabi is twinned with Roskilde in Denmark, making this a home race for Kevin Magnussen. That's how it works, right?

...and at this point, I've got nothing else. I've run dry of all my jokes and japes. Sorry.

Anyway, enjoy the Grand Prix, erm, yeah. Cool. That's it. You may go. Class dismissed.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
The Chicane

Re: 2017 Abadabbi...Abby Dabby...Abou Diaby...Yas Marina Thr

Post by The Chicane »

This track forever reminds me of 2010 and the BBC for some reason...?
RENAULT CLASSIC (1977 - 2017)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11 : Drivers' titles
12 : Constructors' titles
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

So Bottas on pole. Will he do a Rosberg and turn his embarrassment in Brazil into productive energy this weekend? Or will he be destined to be a number two driver at a top team?

Not to sound sentimental or like a commentator here, but I honestly think that this weekend will tell us a lot about Bottas' chances at fighting for the championship in future. If Hamilton or Vettel beat him - if he doesn't win this, in other words - I honestly think he can be written off as a championship challenger in 2018. He hasn't yet done what Nico did in his hard times: bounce back!
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

The Chicane wrote:This track forever reminds me of 2010 and the BBC for some reason...?

The Chicane, have you noticed the Renault team wearing retro team gear this weekend?
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

The fact that the commentators were more excited about the fireworks than the race said enough. (they really were impressed by the fireworks though)

Also would Gachot please stop subtly promoting Hype.... I miss Gasly as co-commentator.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!