Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

You know what to do.

1. F1's new logo

2. Pierre Gasly
#FreeGonzo
Rob Dylan

Re: Reject of the Race - Abu Dhabi 2017

Post by Rob Dylan »

1. Toro Rosso - my goodness, what an ending to their season. Around halfway into the race, neither driver had pitted whilst most others had. They were 14th and 15th. Even with one Renault out, they couldn't even try to stop Hulkenberg from taking their 6th place in the constructors' championship.
2. Red Bull('s unreliability) - Ricciardo took over on the unreliability front from Max in the second half of this year. Six retirements to Max's seven. It cost him 4th in the title on reliability alone, and Max would also be challenging Räikönnen easily on pace. Reminds me of Williams in 2001, where great pace was overshadowed by a car that couldn't finish. Victories this year showed Red Bull have pace, but they need reliability, fast.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

RoTR:
1. Toro Rosso: By far the slowest, least reliable team all weekend, which does not bode well for 2018, when they'll have the least powerful, least reliable power unit of all.
2. Renault mechanics: First they mess up Hulkenberg's stop after having five extra seconds to prepare for it (due to his penalty), then they effectively end Sainz's decent run. It was as if they didn't want to take sixth in the WCC.
DHM:
The new F1 logo: Very generic, and rather close to the Force India logo
The race itself: The most exciting (and for most of the race, only) battle for position was for 13th place, and even that fizzled out.
DRS: rendered all heroics under braking utterly futile for the sake of extremely contrived passes on the straights
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Ten points, and a mouthful of Abu Dhabi's finest not-quite-fizzy rosewater served from Daniel Ricciardo's racing boot go to Pierre Gasly, for being the only driver to have stood out as having a scrappy race. Thing is, he can afford to do it, safe in the knowledge that he'll be the Red Bull Corporation's favoured son that will get the promotion to the main team if one of their drivers was to depart suddenly, even if Brendon Hartley serves him the kind of thrashing that the All Blacks would hand to a local school's under-11 B-team on the rugby field. I don't think that'll happen, but the fate of Daniil Kvyat should serve as a warning to Monsieur Gas - no more like that, please.

Six points go to Renault's mechanics, particularly those on the front right and rear left wheels for trying to throw away both their drivers' hopes of the points they so desperately needed to avoid the ignominy of being beaten by both their customer teams despite having a far better car than Toro Rosso - and in Carlos Sainz's case, they succeeded, good job Nico brought home the non-halal bacon (unless it's the truly horrible variant made from turkey that I've seen floating around the Asian section of my local Tesco's). McLaren will almost certainly be a force to be reckoned with next year with their first foray into Renault engines, and that the Renault works team have only just grabbed sixth at the end of the season should serve as a warning - no more like that, please.

A dishonourable mention goes to [b[Channel 4's wardrobe department[/b] - yes, we know Eddie Jordan has a terrible dress sense and Crazy Dave's never going to give up da wickedywack tighty whiteys innit, but I refuse to believe Susie Wolff was wearing that Old English sheepdog skin of her own volition.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

1. Lance Stroll: What happened? I think he has been criticized too much this season, but this was undeniably an awful race for him. After Grosjean got past him, he spent the rest of the race losing places, eventually finishing last after making three pit stops. His worst race so far.
2. Toro Rosso: Well, this time they actually managed to finish. However, they appeared to be the slowest team for much of the weekend (Gasly's fastest lap in qualifying being the only notable exception). The car often looked undrivable, with Hartley spending a lot of time off track in practice and Gasly spinning in the race.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

1. The new F1 logo
2. Renault pit work
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

1. The new F1 logo - It looks like something a low budget kart track would come up with.
2. Toro Rosso - dreadful performance all weekend long, lost sixth place in the championship as a result
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

1, 2 and every other position thereafter: Scott McLaughlin - The way he threw away the Supercars title will go down in folklore until the end of time itself
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Wizzie wrote:1, 2 and every other position thereafter: Scott McLaughlin - The way he threw away the Supercars title will go down in folklore until the end of time itself

Seconded.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

1. Pierre Gasly: It might have been simply a spin without damage but it was a bit sillier than Magnussen's.

2. Renault's pit stops: You'd think they'd have learned after a slightly botched pit stop from Hulkenberg but nooooo. They were worse with Sainz's, which took him out of the race. :facepalm:
The future McLaren http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

1. Scott McLaughlin -

Wizzie wrote:The way he threw away the Supercars title will go down in folklore until the end of time itself

2. Renault's Pit Crew - Welp, I got a better look (replay) at what happened... I guess Hendrick Motorsports' #24 crew needed new jobs after Homestead.

Dishonorable Mention:
The New F1 Logo - Liberty should make sure they didn't mix that up with one of the feeder series logos.
Last edited by lance_rambert on 27 Nov 2017, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

1. Toro Rosso - Okay sure, they're cobbling together bits of power unit, but they were so off the pace this weekend that Sauber was looking more solid with a year-old engine.

2. People moaning about the new F1 logo - I have so much to say, but instead I'll say nothing.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Dexter249

Post by Dexter249 »

Wizzie wrote:Scott McLaughlin - The way he threw away the Supercars title will go down in folklore until the end of time itself

2. The new F1 Logo - :mrgreen:, Deserves ROTY nomination as well.........
FIAT Group, finding loopholes in the FIA rulebook since it's inception.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Wizzie wrote:Scott McLaughlin - The way he threw away the Supercars title will go down in folklore until the end of time itself

2. 2017 F1 Esports Grand Final - The finale was decided by a Codemasters BS penalty, all of the participants look like the type of loser I could take to Suplex City and the words "esport" in itself is bollocks.
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

Scott McLaughlin - Scotty pls. PLS.

The new F1 logo - Liberty Media, go feck yourself. Although it's nice to see the new 2018 Force India logo!
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

1. Scott McLaughlin - Truly the most tremendous title choke most of us will ever witness. :facepalm:

2. Pierre Gasly - A really rather scruffy race.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Someone who isn't even an F1 driver (and in fact has nothing to do with F1) is winning the vote. I know the race was boring but still... :facepalm:
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

10 points - Renault's pit crew - It's the sort of crap we've always given out ROTR for

6 points - Scuderia Toro Rosso - For being an absolute shambles all race long

DHM - I know Scott McLaughlin ballsed up guys, but he was about sixteen hours from Abu Dhabi by plane. Can we please not vote for him?
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

Just to give more points to actual F1 happenings...

1 - Toro Rosso - Slowest of them all and Gasly spinning over the place surely didn't help.
2 - Stroll - Terrible performance. Destroyed his tyres and was everything but competitive.
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

1. Scott McLaughlin
2. Gogetta Racing
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Just to spite you all, I'm not even going to mention that bloke who used to drive a Volvo around squiggly circles in Australia.

1. Toro Rosso
2. Lance Stroll
TORA! TORA! TORA!
The Mobile Chicane

Post by The Mobile Chicane »

1- Renault pit stop schnanigans: perfect ROTR fodder

2- Lance Stroll: Unless I missed an explanation why it appears he made three tyre changes where everyone else made one for no apparent reason. Needs to pull his socks up next year.

DM: Yas Marina Circuit: when the world champion tells the millions watching at home that there’s something wrong with your circuit you probably need to sort it out

The Logo change - was it necessary? Really? And did it need to be such a blatant rip off of every logo from every Wipeout game ever? Maybe it’s a sign of things to come post 2021!
The Mobile Chicane: Proudly blocking the leaders since 1989
mario

Post by mario »

The Mobile Chicane wrote:The Logo change - was it necessary? Really? And did it need to be such a blatant rip off of every logo from every Wipeout game ever? Maybe it’s a sign of things to come post 2021!

It seems that the only reason to make the change was because Liberty Media wanted to symbolise the fact that they are the new owners now and therefore wanted to make a deliberate break from the past. It sounds as if the crowd in Abu Dhabi were not impressed with the reveal at the circuit either - at best there was an awkward silence, and at worst booing from some stands.

As for the Wipeout reference, it turns out that the designers of the new logo deliberately referenced the work of the studio behind Wipeout, so it's not surprising that it looks rather similar. Mind you, if you think that the logo is bad enough, you've not seem some of the alternatives that were proposed, or the other typefaces that they have created for use on boards and merchandising. https://www.creativereview.co.uk/formul ... dy-london/

The only other reason that I have seen cited is that, apparently, they thought that it would be clearer and easier to read if compressed to the size of an app icon on a smartphone. It does at least hint at the possibility of a stronger push towards mobile apps, but that reason doesn't seem to wash with a lot of people either.

With regards to the race, it was one of those events where the sheer turgidity of it means that it just kind of blurs into the background of semi-memorable events at that circuit. I guess that Toro Rosso's rather dismal showing at the end deserves the full 10 points - you suspect that the engines had to be turned right down, given the talk that the team were effectively out of spare parts due to their spat with Renault, but the car looked like a right dog to drive as well - the onboard suggested that the balance was all over the place around the lap and both drivers had rather scrappy races.

As for second, that goes to Stroll - I'm inclined to give him slightly more leeway than Toro Rosso because, at least in the opening laps, he did make some headway with a good start and showed at least some fight (particularly with his scrap with Grosjean, where he put up a fairly decent defence), but it all went rapidly downhill after that.

A dishonourable mention definitely needs to go to Renault though - they had an easy opening there with Toro Rosso being out of the picture, but they made hard work of it with their botched stops.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Here's what's gonna happen with the logo. Everyone's gonna keep bitching and moaning for a few more weeks, and then by the time we get to Australia everybody's used to it and will be too busy moaning about other things.

In five years' time, we'll look at the old logo and think "yeah that's weird". I've seen an alarming amount of people who weren't aware that the "1" wasn't the swooshy bit on the end, so clearly the old logo didn't do what it was supposed to.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Ataxia wrote:I've seen an alarming amount of people who weren't aware that the "1" wasn't the swooshy bit on the end, so clearly the old logo didn't do what it was supposed to.

I'm pretty sure the red part is supposed to be a 1. Of course, the space between the black and red parts is also shaped like a 1, but I feel that's a bit of a hidden bonus for the people who manage to spot it. Then again, you could argue it says F11 based on my interpretation. ;) But indeed, if they only meant the space to be a 1, it was a poor design choice, as iconic as the old logo was. But I doubt they'd make such a huge mistake, so I'll stick to my interpretation unless someone manages to straight up disprove it. :P
Bobby Doorknobs

Meatwad wrote:
Ataxia wrote:I've seen an alarming amount of people who weren't aware that the "1" wasn't the swooshy bit on the end, so clearly the old logo didn't do what it was supposed to.

I'm pretty sure the red part is supposed to be a 1. Of course, the space between the black and red parts is also shaped like a 1, but I feel that's a bit of a hidden bonus for the people who manage to spot it. Then again, you could argue it says F11 based on my interpretation. ;) But indeed, if they only meant the space to be a 1, it was a poor design choice, as iconic as the old logo was. But I doubt they'd make such a huge mistake, so I'll stick to my interpretation unless someone manages to straight up disprove it. :P

I think the fact that it works whether you see the 1 where it's "supposed" to be seen or not is part of what it made it great to me...
#FreeGonzo
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

mario wrote:As for the Wipeout reference, it turns out that the designers of the new logo deliberately referenced the work of the studio behind Wipeout, so it's not surprising that it looks rather similar. Mind you, if you think that the logo is bad enough, you've not seem some of the alternatives that were proposed, or the other typefaces that they have created for use on boards and merchandising. https://www.creativereview.co.uk/formul ... dy-london/

I do like the first one on the second row of the second page here, it has a pleasing nostalgic quality to it. Though that is the exact opposite of what they wanted.

Ataxia wrote:Here's what's gonna happen with the logo. Everyone's gonna keep bitching and moaning for a few more weeks, and then by the time we get to Australia everybody's used to it and will be too busy moaning about other things.

Specifically, the halo. Which will also have a few weeks to itself before everyone gets used to it. It's the nature of F1 fans, I guess.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

mario wrote:As for the Wipeout reference, it turns out that the designers of the new logo deliberately referenced the work of the studio behind Wipeout, so it's not surprising that it looks rather similar. Mind you, if you think that the logo is bad enough, you've not seem some of the alternatives that were proposed, or the other typefaces that they have created for use on boards and merchandising. https://www.creativereview.co.uk/formul ... dy-london/

There's a word I haven't heard on this forum for some time: "publicocrap".

It needs to be brought back, because that article is absolutely loaded with it.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

dinizintheoven wrote:There's a word I haven't heard on this forum for some time: "publicocrap".

Everything changes; everything stays the same.

Now that Liberty Media's honeymoon is almost certainly coming to its end, I'm trying to think of all the things they've done in the last year. Change the logo, push through the halo, have special driver introductions at the US Grand Prix...decide on some unpopular engine regs in a few years' time?

If they don't want the fans to turn against them, they will really need to start things which people don't hate...
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
girry

Post by girry »

Was it Liberty Media responsible of the halo though? They are the commerical rights holder. Thought halo had a lot more to do with the FIA and its safety regulations.

Besides, they have done plenty of small moves to bring the sport a small bit closer to fans (youtube content, post quali interviews and media access, plans to bring races back to motorsport countries etc..) - and not only those fans who can afford a Rolex. You just paint it as if they have not done anything.
when you're dead people start listening
Dexter249

Post by Dexter249 »

Wouldn't be suprised if next year the Halo is named ROTY because it's more of a safety hazard than what it was trying to stop.
If you want your series full of people crashing into each other on accident because the halo removes 50% of vision, I guess it was also a way to be sure the American Fans get a way to watch IndyCar without all the death....
:badoer:
Rant, over.
Bobby Doorknobs

Dexter249 wrote:If you want your series full of people crashing into each other on accident because the halo removes 50% of vision...

It won't. Extensive testing has shown the impact on vision to be almost non-existent...
#FreeGonzo
Dexter249

Post by Dexter249 »

Simtek wrote:
Dexter249 wrote:If you want your series full of people crashing into each other on accident because the halo removes 50% of vision...

It won't. Extensive testing has shown the impact on vision to be almost non-existent...

I'm shocked at that, but then again, it will still look awfully stupid, almost as bad as a ladder on the front of a car...... or an engine with no "Life", but I'll save my ranting until the drivers complain that it looks stupid. :facepalm:
But this also means, that there's a radical shift in what has happened, The engines have mattered, but now, smooth aerodynamics will also be the key, due to the increased drag from a giant pillar in front of your face, the fact that it sounds stupid when I explain it, pretty much affirms my idea that it's incredibly stupid, but still wouldn't be suprised if drivers challenge incidents because it "removes vision". But yeah, imagine what would happen if it collapsed..........
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

Dexter249 wrote:
Simtek wrote:

I'm shocked at that, but then again, it will still look awfully stupid, almost as bad as a ladder on the front of a car...... or an engine with no "Life", but I'll save my ranting until the drivers complain that it looks stupid. :facepalm:
But this also means, that there's a radical shift in what has happened, The engines have mattered, but now, smooth aerodynamics will also be the key, due to the increased drag from a giant pillar in front of your face, the fact that it sounds stupid when I explain it, pretty much affirms my idea that it's incredibly stupid, but still wouldn't be suprised if drivers challenge incidents because it "removes vision". But yeah, imagine what would happen if it collapsed..........

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the Halo is used to improve the aerodynamics of the car- the driver's helmet isn't especially aerodynamic, and there has (as far as I know) been little regulation on the Halo's shape, so it could be used to either generate 'dirty' downforce near the centre of the car (I could see this happening at Monaco) or to smooth out flow around the cockpit to reduce drag there otherwise, in a setup akin to the (admittedly rather ugly) circa-2008 winglets such as the "dumbo ears" on the Honda RA108.
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Bobby Doorknobs

Dexter249 wrote:The engines have mattered, but now, smooth aerodynamics will also be the key...

What you've basically summed up there is the entire history of race car design. They won't have to reinvent the wheel just to incorporate the halo. In fact, all it's resulting in is some very minor headaches for the teams who started their 2018 designs early.

Dexter249 wrote:But yeah, imagine what would happen if it collapsed..........

The car in question would have failed its crash test? They look out for these things, you know.
#FreeGonzo
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Dexter249 wrote:
Simtek wrote:

I'm shocked at that

Really? What, you think the FIA would mandate a system that potentially inhibits driver vision and then not test it extensively to make absolutely sure it doesn't do exactly that? You do realise how bad it would look on them if that was the case, yes?

But this also means, that there's a radical shift in what has happened, The engines have mattered, but now, smooth aerodynamics will also be the key, due to the increased drag from a giant pillar in front of your face

That's not a huge drag-inducing pillar.

the fact that it sounds stupid when I explain it, pretty much affirms my idea that it's incredibly stupid

Anything can sound stupid when you explain it incorrectly.

but still wouldn't be suprised if drivers challenge incidents because it "removes vision". But yeah, imagine what would happen if it collapsed..........

We already explained it doesn't hinder driver vision. Also I'm trying to imagine what happens if it collapses... but the only way i see it breaking is if all the mounts fail and the halo flies up into the air. It's not gonna fall down on the drivers head or whatever doomsday scenario you're imagining, there's not enough weight to force the forward mount to fail.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

The biggest problem hasn't been aerodynamics or visibility, but rather the integration of the halo into the monocoque. When a team is simulating the strength of its chassis, it uses "finite element analysis" software which models how a body reacts to loading and whether the stress distributions are suitable for use.

Because the halo changes so many of the loading paths, diverting shock impacts through the monocoque around the cockpit opening, it's forcing stress engineers to completely reassess their chassis designs, some of which were close to being frozen before the halo was formally introduced. Furthermore, the impacts on the rest of the car have to be sure not to damage the halo's structural integrity.

So, it's a fine balancing act. The halo also adds an extra element of rigidity to the chassis, perhaps creating minor changes to how teams currently integrate the engine and reinforce the monocoque to perhaps claw back some performance.

As for the aero impact, you can see the small winglets on the McLaren design. The halo will surely have a little bit of effect on how the airflow is diverted into the intake above the driver's head, so engineers are going to have to work with that and work on mitigating any other disruptions.

EDIT: This inspired me to write something...
mario

Post by mario »

dinizintheoven wrote:

There's a word I haven't heard on this forum for some time: "publicocrap".

Yes, it's pretty heavy on that - it's a marketing company though, so it is hardly surprising. As some have commented elsewhere, in some ways the new logo commits the cardinal sin of being a bit too bland - it's something that is barely noticeable in those mock ups, as it is almost so generic as to be forgettable.

Rob Dylan wrote:Now that Liberty Media's honeymoon is almost certainly coming to its end, I'm trying to think of all the things they've done in the last year. Change the logo, push through the halo, have special driver introductions at the US Grand Prix...decide on some unpopular engine regs in a few years' time?

If they don't want the fans to turn against them, they will really need to start things which people don't hate...

giraurd wrote:Was it Liberty Media responsible of the halo though? They are the commerical rights holder. Thought halo had a lot more to do with the FIA and its safety regulations.

Besides, they have done plenty of small moves to bring the sport a small bit closer to fans (youtube content, post quali interviews and media access, plans to bring races back to motorsport countries etc..) - and not only those fans who can afford a Rolex. You just paint it as if they have not done anything.

I think that, overall, both of you make valid points, since there are both positive and negative aspects to the decisions that Liberty Media have made over the course of this year.

There have certainly been positive aspects of Liberty Media's decision to open up more access to the fans with the different press events and more "behind the scenes" footage, which has generally been well received, but on the other hand some of the lobbying that they have undertaken for the longer term proposals for the sport - the initial draft of the 2021 regulations has their fingerprints quite heavily on it - do raise concerns that they might be reducing the identity of the individual teams and the sport as a whole through increased standardisation of components.

Equally, whilst we have had talk of bring the sport back to countries that are cited as being the traditional heartlands of motorsport, so far the actual venues which seem to have been looked at are mostly street circuits (I'm not including Paul Ricard, as that contract was signed before Liberty's takeover was complete, whilst the proposal to reintroduce the Turkish GP - a somewhat controversial move given the rather oppressive administration in Turkey - is still unconfirmed).

That approach might bring the sport physically closer to the fans, but it is an approach that has somewhat split the fan base - some are interested in the idea if it presents a challenge to the drivers, but others fear that the quality of the racing would be adversely impacted given that a number of those proposals look like narrow circuits that would inhibit passing and potentially produce fairly processional racing.

Equally, it is also notable that, whilst talking about maintaining traditional races, there has been nothing in the press so far from either the BRDC or Liberty Media about any renegotiations of the contract for the British GP (July 2019 is not that far off in the future), whilst there is no certainty about a German GP remaining on the calendar after 2018 either.

The way in which Liberty Media is also distributing the media rights in the longer term is also causing some concerns - the switch from NBC to ESPN in the US seems to have been driven by the desire of Liberty Media to push their own "over the top" service over that of ESPN, which looks likely to offer a pretty bare bones experience (no pre or post race analysis, and the feed itself will potentially be taken straight from Sky's UK broadcast) and may end up costing viewing figures in the US.

Elsewhere, there seems to be speculation that Liberty Media might be stepping up the switch to pay per view - they've already confirmed that they will not try to renegotiate the deal with Sky, meaning the UK will lose free to air coverage in a few years time, and there has been talk that they won't be renewing the existing free to air deals in Germany either, meaning that market will also switch to a subscription only service.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

That's the results counted up, and after confiding with the powers that be, it has been decided that Scott McLaughlin shall be disqualified from the results of the ROTR award in Abu Dhabi. This is mostly because he won.

- Scott McLaughlin 80
1. Toro Rosso 78
2. Renault mechanics 50

3. The new F1 logo 42
4. Lance Stroll 34
5. Pierre Gasly 32
6. Red Bull('s unreliability) 6
- People moaning about the new F1 logo 6
- 2017 F1 Esports Grand Finale 6
- Gogetta Racing 6

So Toro Rosso win the final ROTR award for this season, for being woefully off the pace all weekend, finishing miles behind after scrappy performances from at least one of their drivers, and then having the whole weekend topped off by Renault taking sixth place in the constructors' championship from them. Great reject material. The mechanics at Renault, working on the pit stops especially, come runner-up for their shoddiness that nearly cost this very change of position in the constructors'.