The 2018 French GP

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Spectoremg

The 2018 French GP

Post by Spectoremg »

Just had a quick look at the ticket prices; a mere £510 for premium grandstands and £135 for general entry. I blame the greedy owner whoever that is? :shock:
Anyone going? Anyone been lately or to a GP in olden times?
All pearls of wisdom/old dits/observations welcome.
dr-baker

Re: The 2018 French GP

Post by dr-baker »

I went to the 2011 Italian Grand Prix and 1996 British Grand Prix. What kind of words of wisdom would you like?

(I will probably just waffle out some words of personal experience later regardless, but I could add some tailor-made info if requested.)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

To me, £135 for a three day GA ticket seems perfectly reasonable, especially when you consider the undercard would in all likelihood include F2, GP3 and Porsche Supercup, all of which feature great racing

As for the "greedy owner" bit, I worked in management at a motorsport facility for near-on two and a half years, and I can assure you the costs and effort required for putting on a major event like this, as well as general overheads just to keep the gates open are a lot higher than you think. Contrary to popular belief, major events and venues generally aren't a license to print money, and a lot of times you're lucky to cover costs.

There's also the minor issue of potential inclement weather ruining everyone's day on top of that to contend with...
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

It also has to be borne in mind that the circuit is pretty remote from major motorways and doesn't have any permanent grandstands. You have to factor in the costs of ensuring people get there easily and smoothly, as well as hiring the grandstands (I believe they're hiring them from the same company that provides Monaco).

And to answer your question:
Spectoremg wrote:I blame the greedy owner whoever that is? :shock:

Last I checked, the owner was Bernie Ecclestone's ex-wife...
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

That's really....really odd ticket prices. Almost criminally expensive, in my view.

I've been to every single Singapore Grand Prix (excepting last year) as well as a couple of Malaysian Grands Prix, so I've some knowledge of ticket prices here and there.

Malaysian Grand Prix was an absolute steal. You'll probably have a few meals or drinking tabs that'll cost more that a General Admission ticket there, it's that cheap. Singapore, however, is fairly expensive.

I've done some research on this. In 2011, it says the three day General Admission ticket cost just $198, which is 110 Pounds. In 2015, the price went up to $228 from what I can see, or 126 pounds.

Now though, without the "early-bird" deal, the three-day price is a whopping $298. 165 British Pounds.

Looking at your French GP ticket prices, it seems almost reasonable to the Singapore GP on ticket price alone, but when you consider that Singapore is a street circuit with extra work on hand for LOADS of temporary grandstands, barriers, light fixtures, tarmac work on regular roads, international music stars performing within the General Admission area, with the "marquee event" status that the organisers like to portray our country has in the calendar, it almost seems like a steal compared to France.

It could be an effect of the price hike that I've seen for my home Grand Prix ($100 in 7 years!), I have no clue, but the French Grand Prix tickets seems awfully expensive for the circuit that Le Castellet is, no offence to them, of course.. If you can find any sort of discount, try.

As for going to a Grand Prix, I can say that Singapore and Malaysia can be wildly different to what you might experience in France, but I do have some tips...

• Go with people that you know would like F1. If not, don't be afraid to mix around, get to know a few fans. They all probably like F1 just as much as you, if not more. If possible, get to know some of the more passionate fans. I've come to know an old British couple, both of them INSANE Jenson Button fans, just by meeting them during GP weekends. She dyed her hair in the Union Jack, he had a Button 2009 tattoo, insane fun to be around on a GP weekend. Try to find someone similar if you so wish.
  • If general admission, find a high spot or one that is close to a TV screen. It's hard to track a race without a TV screen, so find one so you don't get lost if somebody pits, retires, et cetera. A high spot is also good for catching lots of action without having to move about, but from experience, it kinda takes away the sense of speed and adrenaline most fans get when up close. So that's all up to personal preference.
  • Like all sporting events, food will be expensive. Even in Malaysia, land of cheap Formula 1, it was quite a bit of ringgit. So bring a snack or two if you can.
  • Finally, have lots of fun. Let go of yourself, make some noise whenever something on-track happens. Singapore has its' fair share of crowds that barely react at all, and its not the best atmosphere. So find a loud section and get immersed with them. If not, create your own atmosphere. I know, that sounds weird, but I had lots of fun trying to do that. Sometimes you may look stupid, but if you love F1 and put your heart out when you get to see a race live, its all worth it.

You could disregard the above all the above if you wish, but just a few tips I'm willing to share from personal experience and so on.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

You guys are kidding right? 135 pounds, which I believe is $185 and a bit? And you are complaining? Never go see any races in America then lol. Depending on the track/seating position, that's the price for one DAY for NASCAR.

NHRA charges $65 bucks a day for qualifying. Hell, I paid $48 plus fees for freaking Monster Truck tickets. Tickets for COTA aren't on sale yet, but I seem to recall a three day was close to a grand in years past.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

I paid 230€ for a three-day grandstand ticket at the Ascari chicane at Monza. And honestly, it was totally worth it. If you go to a Grand Prix, be prepared that it's going to be nothing like watching it on TV. It doesn't matter if the race is a total borefest, it's more about seeing the cars flash by - seriously, they're so much faster than they appear on TV, about the sound, and the atmosphere in general. Seriously, sitting on a grandstand full of Tifosi when a Ferrari drives by is pretty special, even though I'm not a huge Ferrari fan.

Now for some general advice:

-Be prepared for all kinds of weather. I learnt this the hard way. Rain in Italy? In early September? At least it's going to be warm rain? No, it bathplugging wasn't. It was the coldest, rainiest and most miserable summer day I ever experienced (and I grew up in Schleswig-Holstein), and by 10 AM I had freezing rainwater standing in my pants. I finally surrendered and bought an overpriced giant Caterham umbrella (at least I have a nice piece of reject merch now), but never dried in the constant drizzle. An hour before qualifying resumed, I had to give up and return to the hotel.

-Watch the support races! Formula 2, GP3 and even Porsche Supercup are spectacular when you get close. And they often offer more action than the perfectionists in F1. You paid for a weekend of motorsport, so go and enjoy a weekend of motorsport.

-The F1 Fan Zone is pretty meh. You can go there on Friday to buy a souvenir, and check if there are any historic cars on display, but the activities aren't exciting for most people above the age of twelve.

-Use the Friday. Some circuits, like Monza, give you a free choice of seat on Friday, so you can go explore the track. And crowds are much smaller on Friday too. If you just want to spend a relaxed day at a racetrack, Friday is perfect.

-Check for additional events. Monza had a pit lane walk on Thursday for everyone who bought a three-day ticket. It was awesome! I got autographs (from Palmer, Ericsson and Vandoorne). In true reject fashion, I decided to avoid the large crowds surrounding the top three teams and check out the smaller teams. Also, bathplug you Sergio Perez for ignoring me twice.

And for something Monza specific:

-Go to the old banked track. Pictures can't convey how steep it is, and standing in that historic place is just overwhelming.

-Check out the Alfa Romeo museum. They have plenty of historic road and race cars. Standing next to the Alfa 158 was pretty special.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I agree with the advice given so far. The prices seem reasonable for a European F1 round. Wander around as much as you want during practice and qualifying, and then pick a spot for race day. Access to a big screen helps to follow what you miss with your own eyes. It helps if you can park away from the track and get transport for the last section of journey to the track (particularly race day). Think what merchandise you want before you go and budget for it. Even better, go dressed in some motorsport gear. And if you are one for photographs, again get them during practice and qualifying. On raceday, just sit back and enjoy the race and atmosphere.

To be honest, this advice comes not just from watching F1 and IndyCar but also BTCC, A1GP, DTM, etc.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Spectoremg wrote:Anyone going?

Yes, but in a slightly different capacity... :vergne:
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
girry

Post by girry »

I'm gonna be attending the Austrian GP this year, what with Fri-Sun general admission being 105 euros. Given that the nature of the RB Ring tracksite ensures that visibility should be excellent everywhere, and that the atmosphere should be decent as well, I consider that price an absolute bargain.

Also if any other Reject fan is going, I'd be happy to meet up obviously. :vergne:
when you're dead people start listening
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

giraurd wrote:I'm gonna be attending the Austrian GP this year, what with Fri-Sun general admission being 105 euros. Given that the nature of the RB Ring tracksite ensures that visibility should be excellent everywhere, and that the atmosphere should be decent as well, I consider that price an absolute bargain.

Also if any other Reject fan is going, I'd be happy to meet up obviously. :vergne:

Might be on my bucket list for after graduation next year...
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I mentioned this on another thread a while back, but I'll be at the British Grand Prix this year, so if there are any others going I'd be keen for a meet-up!
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
The Chicane

Post by The Chicane »

I much prefer Magny-Cours over Paul Ricard, the layout doesn't look that interesting especially with those horrid stripes around the circuit, but its cool to finally see the French Grand Prix back on the calendar.
RENAULT CLASSIC (1977 - 2017)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11 : Drivers' titles
12 : Constructors' titles
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Rob Dylan wrote:I mentioned this on another thread a while back, but I'll be at the British Grand Prix this year, so if there are any others going I'd be keen for a meet-up!

I'm going to Silverstone - and the Historic Minardi Day in May at Imola - which looks very good ( I went last year and it was terrific)
Maybe arrange a meet up at Silverstone?
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Sounds good, I'm camping there all weekend with a mate, and managed to get sale grandstand tickets, so the weekend should be a blast.

PM me :)
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

yannicksamlad wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:I mentioned this on another thread a while back, but I'll be at the British Grand Prix this year, so if there are any others going I'd be keen for a meet-up!

I'm going to Silverstone - and the Historic Minardi Day in May at Imola - which looks very good ( I went last year and it was terrific)
Maybe arrange a meet up at Silverstone?

Ah you lucky son of a gun! I really wanted to fly over for that, but a combination of being on duty for Rally Islas Canarias and SMRC means I can't go. I hope next year it's a different story...

I imagine a fair few people from here will head to Silverstone, but I probably won't know if I can/will go until the week of the GP!
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Yes, we really did have a thread for this in storage, right beside a box of unsold Jolyon Palmer figurines and our race-ready USF1 Type 1.

So yeah, what used to be the most prestigious race on the calendar's back this weekend...
#FreeGonzo
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

We're only 40 minutes into First Practice, and half the grid appear to be spinning off at Turn 6. Looking good for an exciting first lap :D
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Organisationally, this event has been a bit of a disaster. The traffic is beyond belief, even at about 8:30am, there were queues all the way from Le Beausset to the circuit, and the roads are too small to deal with it. Luckily, we have scooters...

I'm slowly getting used to which part of the track is which, but it's still very confusing. If this is happening again next year, the infrastructure around the place needs some serious work, because it's just not good enough as it stands.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
mario

Post by mario »

Ataxia wrote:Organisationally, this event has been a bit of a disaster. The traffic is beyond belief, even at about 8:30am, there were queues all the way from Le Beausset to the circuit, and the roads are too small to deal with it. Luckily, we have scooters...

I'm slowly getting used to which part of the track is which, but it's still very confusing. If this is happening again next year, the infrastructure around the place needs some serious work, because it's just not good enough as it stands.

It sounds like it's not just the fans who have had problems, as Snafnauer has complained that it's cost his team dear - not just because they were also having terrible problems getting staff to and from the circuit, but because a client whom he'd invited to that race eventually had to cancel a business meeting because he couldn't make it to the circuit.

Even the drivers have been complaining that they've had problems due to poor management and overzealous policemen. Grosjean has said that he and Vettel were travelling to the circuit as part of the same convoy, only for the French police to stop them at a road block and instruct them that they were not allowed to go any further - despite the fact that Grosjean and Vettel were presenting them with their passes and documentation. They did eventually persuade the police to let them in, but only with difficulty. https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fren ... s-1047272/

The worrying thing is that these problems are occurring despite the fact that the circuit is ostensibly operating significantly under capacity - they've officially aimed for a crowd of 65,000, which is a bit over three quarters of their theoretical capacity of 80,000, for race day, precisely because of the problems they were expecting with traffic management, but even that is still causing a lot of problems. They are apparently making some changes to hopefully improve things, but I get the impression that we're probably going to see a lot more photos of traffic jams over the coming days.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Can we agree to vote for Race Organisation as ROTR in the event of another lack of standout on-track candidates?
#FreeGonzo
IceG

Post by IceG »

So what I am hearing is that the organisation and road access hasn't changed since the 1980s when I used to go to the Bol d'Or 24 hour motorcycle endurance races?
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Drivers saying the layout has been confusing and tough to learn fills me with some hope. Be nice to see a mistake like Raikonnen did all those years ago at Interlagos :D

There's been murmurings that drivers want the chicane before turn 10 removed, with Brendon Hartley bringing his time with Porsche into it saying that when he tested the circuit under that layout it made not only turn 10 more of a corner but the final sector much tougher due to the lower downforce teams had to use. I think he has a point, with aero already at stupid levels of height why not enforce layouts more like Spa and (dare I say it?) Yeongnam where a compromised setup was required and mixed things up
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Ferrari, two words: Sign Leclerc! (unless Haas want him, Grosjean's found the barriers again)
:facepalm: for Crofty, apparently this is the first time the Silver Arrows have ever raced in France...
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

From Adam Cooper - "Hilarious moment at last night’s drivers' briefing when someone mentioned the potential cost of track modifications - and Seb Vettel said ‘They can afford it, they charge €80 for a club sandwich at the circuit hotel..."
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

good_Ralf wrote:Ferrari, two words: Sign Leclerc! (unless Haas want him, Grosjean's found the barriers again)
:facepalm: for Crofty, apparently this is the first time the Silver Arrows have ever raced in France...

Yes, I was pretty outraged by this, but then realised that presumably as top flight football only began in 1992 when the Premier League came along, F1 must have only begun in the 2010s when Sky started covering it.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Leclerc 8th. That might just be the qualifying effort of the season already! The kid's looking to be the real deal after all.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

I'm not sure all those blue lines around the track are massively easy on the eye.
IceG

Post by IceG »

Is Norris ready when Alonso throws his toys out of the car and leaves for Indy?
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

It's certainly looking that way. Alonso sounds more and more dishevelled as the races go by. I mean, WEC is probably taking a genuine toll on him, what with two series going on at once. The better he does in WEC, the more and more likely it looks like he'll be leaving for a different series next year.
mario

Post by mario »

Rob Dylan wrote:It's certainly looking that way. Alonso sounds more and more dishevelled as the races go by. I mean, WEC is probably taking a genuine toll on him, what with two series going on at once. The better he does in WEC, the more and more likely it looks like he'll be leaving for a different series next year.

It'd be a sad sight, but it does increasingly feel like that is what we will see Alonso do - there just aren't any seats opening up at the front any time soon, you sense, whilst there are no other teams who might take that leap forwards to whom Alonso could go and have that last chance of glory.

If McLaren do work on setting up an IndyCar team, I can see Alonso wanting to go there - not only because it'd give him that chance of taking a crack at the Indy 500 again, but also because it does feel as if he is increasingly not happy with the way that F1 as a whole is developing and that, like Button, he's falling out of love with the sport.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

I've watched the last two races on Sky via Now tv and I must say I've enjoyed the much bashed Croft/Brundle commentary much more that the Ben 'I want to have Hamilton's babies' Edwards and Coulthard.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Now I appreciate that I'm about to sound massively ungrateful, and I'm loathe to do so, but...

...what a frustrating weekend. From our end, it was an absolute horror show, and the traffic was just ghastly to the point where we were burning the candle at both ends just to avoid it. The atmosphere among the fans, for the most part, seemed good, but I felt like the drivers just wanted the weekend to be over.

On to Austria - rather hoping it's a much more intuitive affair...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Spectoremg wrote:I've watched the last two races on Sky via Now tv and I must say I've enjoyed the much bashed Croft/Brundle commentary much more that the Ben 'I want to have Hamilton's babies' Edwards and Coulthard.
Yeah, I'm not sure where I stand on those two teams. I appreciate Brundle and Edwards more than their partners, but I'm not sure it would be any better if those two were their own team.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Rob Dylan wrote:We're only 40 minutes into First Practice, and half the grid appear to be spinning off at Turn 6. Looking good for an exciting first lap :D

Prescient!
Noted that the GP3 and F2 ( well those that got off the grid) made a tidier start...twice
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Prescient, eh? Well therefore I predict Ericsson on the podium this weekend. Better get that predicaments thread up and running :P
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Rob Dylan wrote:Yeah, I'm not sure where I stand on those two teams. I appreciate Brundle and Edwards more than their partners, but I'm not sure it would be any better if those two were their own team.

Totally agree with all of that. It's the same with the punditry team - some good on Sky (Davidson), some bad (sorry Damon) and some good on C4 (Karun) and some execrable (that bell-end Jones and Eddie Jordan obvs)

Shame you can't mix and match! I wonder what the new F1 subscription service will offer? Still waiting for them to announce their plans for the UK....
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Barbazza wrote:...I wonder what the new F1 subscription service will offer? Still waiting for them to announce their plans for the UK....
Yeah, I got pretty fed up on Sunday afternoon when I found out that C4 were doing highlights yet again, and not even until 10pm. I miss it not being a hassle to watch the sport I love, and I honestly think I'd dish out for a subscription service just for my own convenience.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

I'm currently paying £7.99 for 24hrs of Sky Sports via Now TV (£15 one off payment for the Wi-Fi dongle).