Over the top, men! F1 launches OTT subscription service

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Ataxia
Not Important

Over the top, men! F1 launches OTT subscription service

Post by Ataxia »

That's right, ladies and gents - some of you (depending on where you live/how good you are with VPNs) will be able to get hold of a subscription service to stream F1 (and most importantly, F2 and GP3). It looks like it's going to be relatively customisable, and relatively inexpensive as well.

Now, if they can just throw old races on NetF1ix, I think we'd all be very happy...

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/2/formula-1-to-launch-f1-tv-a-live-grand-prix-subscription-service.html
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
IceG

Re: Over the top, men! F1 launches OTT subscription service

Post by IceG »

I hope that it will be in HD/UHD with Dolby Digital sound and available on Apple TVs and Amazon Fire TVs.

F1 is one of the few things that still has me paying a fortune to Sky here in the UK.

Be interesting to see if they offer multiple angles, etc. like Sky do.

And who will be commentating?
Aguvazk

Post by Aguvazk »

This could be great, i have some doubts: the race will be available after live streaming (for example, Japan race here is, if i don't mistake 3 am :!: ) to see it like Netflix, when i want it?
This service would have old races available (i don't ask in spanish, that's is really really unlikely)?
If this service have these feature, i think i will suscribe, after CanalF1 latam shut down and now we have to view it in Fox sports (CanalF1 was 24/7 F1 and have old races too!!! I watch Usa west 83, the watson's win from 22 in the grid!)
I'm not a serious person
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

USA West 1983 - I thought Jarier was going to win that ....What a race !
Anyway - more relevantly - I suppose we'll have to see what actually turns up from this new service. I'm in UK and have Sky, and if a streaming service was available, or accessible, then I would be interested. But there are advantages to cable TV ( getting recordings, catch-up options, reliability).

My experience of streaming is that for sports live, events any disruption is very frustrating..and not that uncommon.
And for all the possibilities of UHD - that can really stretch your broadband. I have great broadband..in theory...but UHD is not stable
Let's see. But certainly looks good for a huge potential audience
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

IceG wrote:I hope that it will be in HD/UHD with Dolby Digital sound and available on Apple TVs and Amazon Fire TVs.
F1 is one of the few things that still has me paying a fortune to Sky here in the UK.

I bet the UK wont get the streaming for some time, as a precondition of Skys impending exclusivity deal :facepalm: :(
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
mario

Post by mario »

Aguvazk wrote:This could be great, i have some doubts: the race will be available after live streaming (for example, Japan race here is, if i don't mistake 3 am :!: ) to see it like Netflix, when i want it?
This service would have old races available (i don't ask in spanish, that's is really really unlikely)?
If this service have these feature, i think i will suscribe, after CanalF1 latam shut down and now we have to view it in Fox sports (CanalF1 was 24/7 F1 and have old races too!!! I watch Usa west 83, the watson's win from 22 in the grid!)

Yes, it looks like there will be the option to rewatch old races - they are talking about offering footage from races going back to 1981 at the moment, and talked about opening up access to the archives of previously unseen footage in FOM's archives at Biggin Hill. https://www.racefans.net/2018/02/28/f1- ... o-to-fans/

Collieafc wrote:
IceG wrote:I hope that it will be in HD/UHD with Dolby Digital sound and available on Apple TVs and Amazon Fire TVs.

I bet the UK wont get the streaming for some time, as a precondition of Skys impending exclusivity deal :facepalm: :(

That does unfortunately seem to be the case, although there have been a few rumours that Liberty Media seem to be working on persuading Sky to let them show the historic races via that online platform in the shorter term.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Talking of Sky, is anyone on my shores somewhat concerned at this potential takeover by Comcast? If there's one thing I've found every American agrees on, all the way from wet-blanket soyboys in Oregon to gun-wielding rednecks in Alabama and everyone in between, it's that Comcast are an indefensible shower of bastards.

As it stands I'm pinning my hopes on RTL retaining the coverage in Der Vaterland for another season or two beyond the end of 2018...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:Talking of Sky, is anyone on my shores somewhat concerned at this potential takeover by Comcast? If there's one thing I've found every American agrees on, all the way from wet-blanket soyboys in Oregon to gun-wielding rednecks in Alabama and everyone in between, it's that Comcast are an indefensible shower of bastards.

As it stands I'm pinning my hopes on RTL retaining the coverage in Der Vaterland for another season or two beyond the end of 2018...

If it comes to it, F1 is actually still on BBC, albeit on the radio...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

With the slight out-of-sync sound between the radio and RTL TV pictures (which I usually only notice when the race is over and they're doing the podium interviews) I always see my setup as putting pictures to the radio.

It works well enough, for as long as I have use of it...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
mario

Post by mario »

dinizintheoven wrote:Talking of Sky, is anyone on my shores somewhat concerned at this potential takeover by Comcast? If there's one thing I've found every American agrees on, all the way from wet-blanket soyboys in Oregon to gun-wielding rednecks in Alabama and everyone in between, it's that Comcast are an indefensible shower of bastards.

It's a surprising move, but one that might have a certain political attraction in the UK - with the Competition and Markets Authority in the UK having ruled that the deal between Sky and Fox would not be beneficial for the UK media sector, since it would give Murdoch too much influence, the current government has moved towards taking action to block the deal.

With that in mind, it would be rather convenient for them if Comcast were to come in and take over Sky instead - having a more limited footprint in the UK, Comcast wouldn't come with the considerable baggage that comes with Murdoch and Fox, allowing the current government to defuse a potential political argument over Murdoch's leverage in the media and close relationship with figures in power. As you say though, whilst Comcast doesn't come with political baggage in the UK, it has an entirely different set of baggage that comes with it instead.

dinizintheoven wrote:With the slight out-of-sync sound between the radio and RTL TV pictures (which I usually only notice when the race is over and they're doing the podium interviews) I always see my setup as putting pictures to the radio.

It works well enough, for as long as I have use of it...

I don't know if it has any significance, but there was a suggestion that one of RTL's commentators might be asked to provide the feed for the online service.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/43177334

It seems the Nostalgia force is strong with this poll? How did that end up as best looking car? is 2018 an Annus horribilis for good looking F1 machines?

**edit - can a moderator move this to the pre-season testing thread? Brain fade chucked me in wrong thread
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

For those who were wondering:

The platform will be tested this weekend - if everything runs smoothly, the service may be started at the Bahrain GP.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
Aguvazk

Post by Aguvazk »

If anyone care... Now in latin america the coverage is from Fox Sports, it is the premium package (U$S 10 more per month, 7 channels, bla, bla, bla....) But, now between the practices, i'm watching Adelaida 1994, :D
I'm not a serious person