Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Australia 2018

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
This Could Be You

Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Australia 2018

Post by This Could Be You »

As no one else has made this thread yet, I might as well take matters into my own hands:

IIDotR:
1. Haas: Despite the double retirement, the team put on their most competitive performance ever, which bodes well for them for the rest of 2018.
2. Mclaren: After all the issues in testing, a double points finish (and with Alonso 5th) must be a relief for Mclaren
HM:
Leclerc: A solid debut
The new FOM branding: Not anywhere near as cringy as I feared it might have been
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Bleu

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Australia 201

Post by Bleu »

1. Magnussen. With team screwing up I give credit to the driver - and KM was faster this weekend.
2. Alonso. Not obvious selection, but equalling his best in this McLaren stint gives him a nod.

HM to race control actually ordering to swap Verstappen and Alonso positions on track instead of giving 5-second penalty in default.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

1. Haas (also my pick for ROTR)
2. Räikkönen - didn't expect him to outpace Vettel
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
mario

Post by mario »

Bleu wrote:HM to race control actually ordering to swap Verstappen and Alonso positions on track instead of giving 5-second penalty in default.

From what Whiting is saying, it sounds as if part of the reason for that decision was because neither driver could have known where the other was and with the margin being so close between the two that it was very difficult for either driver to have known quite where they were meant to be relative to each other.

What also seems to have helped is that Red Bull were the ones who first suggested to Whiting that Alonso should be in front, pre-empting the decision by the stewards. Perhaps, because they were the ones who raised the issue, the stewards may have been inclined to look on them more favourably.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

mario wrote:
Bleu wrote:HM to race control actually ordering to swap Verstappen and Alonso positions on track instead of giving 5-second penalty in default.

From what Whiting is saying, it sounds as if part of the reason for that decision was because neither driver could have known where the other was and with the margin being so close between the two that it was very difficult for either driver to have known quite where they were meant to be relative to each other.

What also seems to have helped is that Red Bull were the ones who first suggested to Whiting that Alonso should be in front, pre-empting the decision by the stewards. Perhaps, because they were the ones who raised the issue, the stewards may have been inclined to look on them more favourably.

Also, on the Finnish broadcast Mika Salo told that stewarding should be less penalty-based this year, with drivers given more chances to voluntarily give up places before receiving any penalties.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
RAK

Post by RAK »

1) McLaren: They genuinely looked pretty good in race trim.

2) Haas: Despite the pit crew throwing away good points, the drivers were doing a good job while they were in the race.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

1. Haas

2. McLaren
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

1. Kevin Magnussen (with HM to Haas in general) - he doesn't have a big fanbase really, especially seeing as his career has been so fluctuating since he started racing, but he put in a great performance and should have scored decent points. Here's hoping he does so next race.
2. Fernando Alonso - he finished 5th, and it wasn't a fluke. He was genuinely on pace, and 5th might not be a crazy position for him to finish in for the rest of the season. Amazing!

HM. Leclerc and Sauber - I was assuming they'd be a mile off the pace, but they were neither last in qualifying, nor in the race. They made use of what they had, and their new driver seems to be perfectly capable, so good job.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

1 Kevin Magnussen: While Haas in general were very impressive pace wise seeing Magnussen comfortably heading Grosjean was pleasantly surprising. I hope he and Haas keep this up because we’ve seen them start the last 2 seasons really well then fade to lower midfield by seasons end kind of like how Sauber would in the 90s and 00s

2 McLaren: Looked in dire peril in testing but have shown everyone that they may surprise a few. I’ve been waiting in anticipation to see what Alonso can do this season with the customer Renault at his disposal while Stoffel will only get better too
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

1. Alonso
2. Raikkonen
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

1. Fernando Alonso: Fifth place was much better than I would have expected – an impressive first race for McLaren-Renault.
2. Kevin Magnussen: Was on for an absolutely amazing result until the pit stop disaster. Outperformed Grosjean and had one of his best race weekends.

Honorable mention: Charles Leclerc: 13th in a Sauber, a good job on his debut.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

I think this is kind of a tough call. We don't know which performances are indicative of regular form this season and which ones are genuine freaks of nature, but I suppose I'll take a stab anyway:

1. Haas - Not just for their pace, which could remain surprisingly quick for at least the next few races, but for ultimately engineering the situation (unintentionally of course... or was it? ;)) which led to Vettel being the surprise winner of an interesting Grand Prix. Magnussen was also a genuine surprise in out-performing Grosjean and just driving very well in general this weekend.

2. Charles Leclerc - Sauber haven't really been much to talk about this weekend other than Ericsson bringing a little smile to my face with third position in FP3, but seeing Leclerc finish as highly as he did - and not solely because of retirements - was interesting.
#FreeGonzo
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

1. Magnussen - I was impressed ; he beat Romain, and he made a great start.
2. McLaren - their race went well
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Aguvazk

Post by Aguvazk »

1. Alonso, solid race, quiet to finish 5th.
2. Leclerc, a good debut with the worst car, improves day after day, i see this guy in red soon (2020 maybe?)

HM, good race for Vettel obvious, Raikkonen hold Ricciardo well, Magnussen (until Haas screw that)
I'm not a serious person
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

1. Haas - Probably my ROTR as well, but their pace was excellent.
2. Charles Leclerc - Finished ahead of two drivers despite driving a Sauber

HM - Fernando Alonso - 5th is great, but this is IIDOTR, and I expect greatness from Alonso
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

1. Haas - Also definitely my ROTR, but nobody expected their testing pace to be genuine.

2. Charles Leclerc - Finished ahead of Williams and Toro Rosso in a car probably not as good as either. A far better rookie performance than Sirotkin also.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I'm declaring an official winner for IIDOTR, and it's the same winner as for ROTR; Haas.

Haas' 2018 campaigner might be something of a copy-paste job of last year's Ferrari, but does that mean it wasn't improbable?

No, given the team's relative inexperience and wayward form in their two debut seasons there were natural questions over how much of their new package they could leverage straight out of the gate. They nailed it. Then ruined it with two pitstop mistakes, but they were set for 4th and 5th up to that point.

We'll be changing how IIDOTR works from the upcoming Bahrain GP onwards; stay tuned.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image